Author Topic: Market research: what do you think of these trucks?  (Read 9157 times)

NoComply180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
Re: Market research: what do you think of these trucks?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
question.  what in the fuck are ace trucks.  I'm hearing a lot about them on here and people sound like they are actually buying them.  I have never heard of this company before.  I thought we all just rode thunders/indys/theeve I guess/krux/ventures

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
question.  what in the fuck are ace trucks.  I'm hearing a lot about them on here and people sound like they are actually buying them.  I have never heard of this company before.  I thought we all just rode thunders/indys/theeve I guess/krux/ventures

Ace is ex-Independent TM Joey Tershay's truck company.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ah so they must be legit. the name makes them sound like shit. 

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Reev

• Rep: 4
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 12:58:13 PM »
Quite a few people in here seem to be running Aces, according to the set-up thread.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
But I want to address some of the other comments that have been made here, not for my own sake but for yours.  I think there was a suggestion that a new company can't survive in a market dominated by the likes of Independent et al.  That's just not true.  Very few people I have spoken to have ever heard of Randal (local guys, in San Diego County) and almost no one I know has heard of Street Rodz.  Yet presumably these two companies continue to thrive, in the shadows of the big boys.  You don't have to be number one or even number two to survive in business; you just need to establish yourself in a niche - perhaps a niche you have invented yourself.

I was very pleased to learn (well, I had mixed emotions) during my researches that most of the US truck companies make their products here in the US.  Skateboarders should be proud they are supporting an almost entirely home-grown industry, which is more than can be said about most other segments of society (again, I realize you guys aren't all Americans).  Now if only your clothes could be US-made!

Anyway, I have blathered on for long enough.  Once again, I appreciate your responses, and I hope you have a better appreciation for where I am coming from.  I am still interested in learning anything you guys want to reveal about this business (I'll answer any questions, too), but from my initial research I am a little intimidated by the industry.  Unlike the firearms industry, this seems to be a business full of highly innovative firms that continue to manufacture their products domestically.  There may well be no place for me to fit in.  But I will continue to study the business carefully for a few months at least.

Most people here have never heard of Randal and other brands you mention because we generally have no interest in longboarding and consider it completely separate from skateboarding. Plus longboard (and the numerous "disciplines" than have spawned from its popularity) manufacturers cater to a different market with different media outlets and sell to specific shops. You may do better in the longboard market.  I know little about it, though at least the culture and imagery seems goofy to most hardcore skateboarders.

There are also differences in equipment. I doubt you could ride Surf-Rodz on a modern street setup--the hanger looks too tall, the pivot design stresses the baseplate too much, the axle isn't optimized for grinding, and inverted kingpins tends to have too much slop, not to metion the prohibitive price of the truck. I'm also not too sure how longboard trucks secure axles since slippage isn't an issue for them. Most trucks originally pressed Grade 8 axles into the hanger until the combination of skinny wheels and flip tricks forced companies into casting the aluminum directly onto them. They'll slip and freeze a wheel if they are pressed.

If you do make a skateboard truck, here are the issues that persist: heat generated from casting hangers severely weakens cro-moly axles and causes them to bend and break more easily; the ends of axles become mushroomed, thus, you have to rethread the ends and toss the locknuts every time you change wheels (we're used to it but it's still a pain in the ass); most stock bushings suck or require an extensive break-in period; the aluminum could be stronger (forged) if not for the hot-mold process required to affix the axle; mounting hardware holes become elongated from road vibration and baseplates must be tossed out when the hanger wears out/breaks. Also, if you know little about skateboarding, you may tend to overlook subtle issues like grinding surface, kingpin height, top bushing/washer clearance, and axle length--keep in mind that there's no set standard for wheel outer bearing diameter.

Private Dancer

• Rep: -3
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
i think theeves are a non skater company based on engineering and business guys (lots of start up cash, paying all the riders)...i could be wrong but thats what i have heard

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »
i think theeves are a non skater company based on engineering and business guys (lots of start up cash, paying all the riders)...i could be wrong but thats what i have heard

i thought it was started by the birdman?

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
ah so they must be legit. the name makes them sound like shit. 
they skate pretty damn nicely

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
This truck broke too easily.

This truck doesn't turn right.

This truck is too tall.

I really hope that helped out.  (Just kidding)
Best. Response. Ever.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever