Author Topic: The Best Skate Parks in the World  (Read 5198 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
The Best Skate Parks in the World
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
I was wondering if there was a skate park out there that you had in mind that you would go to if you were given a free trip to skate it.  Some of the massive bowl parks are pretty well known like Shanghai Mega and the Black Pearl, but some of the new street plazas I've been seeing pop up in Europe lately look amazing too.  I don't really have one in mind myself...but I'd realy like to skate Stoner Plaza and Vancouver's skate plaza.  I don't know the location of the crazy European plazas but one is definitely in Sweden.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Best Skate Parks in the World
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
If your in Toronto for whatever reason, ashbridges bay plaza in the beaches is pretty amazing, especially if you can get a session in when it's not packed. (weekdays, or weeknights, don't go on a saturday unless you want to skate with a million little kids sitting on every obstacle there)

here's a little clip of me and a couple buddies having fun

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:46:46 PM by Choad Muskrat »

TheFreshSC

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
the denver area definitely holds the highest concentration of excellent skateparks
i don't know if they're the best in the world, but they're still pretty fucking awesome

this is lafayette

northglenn

parker

brand new arvada park by team pain

and the original monolith, denver park

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »
the denver area definitely holds the highest concentration of excellent skateparks
i don't know if they're the best in the world, but they're still pretty fucking awesome

Parker is fucking rad.  Not really a fan of Denver park though.  Have not skated North Glenn but that looks amazing and that Lafayette park must be new cause no one ever mentioned that when I was living in Boulder.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
jesus! the only one of those colorado parks i've been to was denver & it was along time ago. i bet it'd be fun now but, it's kinda crammed & slippery. all of those other ones look amazing though, i need to take another trip out there soon.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
If your in Toronto for whatever reason, ashbridges bay plaza in the beaches is pretty amazing, especially if you can get a session in when it's not packed. (weekdays, or weeknights, don't go on a saturday unless you want to skate with a million little kids sitting on every obstacle there)

here's a little clip of me and a couple buddies having fun

Who was that guy who did the wallride near the beginning?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »

Oregon? NorCal?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
Some people will probably think I am crazy here but Santa Rosa is the most fun skatepark I have ever been to. I have traveled around Oregon, grew up in SoCal and now live in NorCal. I have had access to lots of great parks but nothing beats that place. You can go in a straight line all day and not even pop your tail and you would still have fun.

edit: I will admit that I would probably get tired of it if it was by my house because you can't really grind anything, can only do lip tricks in a few spots, there are no ledges, etc., but if you only visit every so often it is a blast. When we go there we often spend 6+ hours there. You can BBQ which ads some fun to it as well.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:10:25 PM by happenstance »

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
Midwest dudes know about Riley!

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
Some people will probably think I am crazy here but Santa Rosa is the most fun skatepark I have ever been to. I have traveled around Oregon, grew up in SoCal and now live in NorCal. I have had access to lots of great parks but nothing beats that place. You can go in a straight line all day and not even pop your tail and you would still have fun.

edit: I will admit that I would probably get tired of it if it was by my house because you can't really grind anything, can only do lip tricks in a few spots, there are no ledges, etc., but if you only visit every so often it is a blast. When we go there we often spend 6+ hours there. You can BBQ which ads some fun to it as well.

Not crazy, Santa Rosa is rad. I was thrown off the first time because I thought I'd be able to hit the place like Tommy Guerrero but learned quickly that the place is pretty tough to skate, but the second and third times were a lot more fun.

I was gonna comment about not being able to grind but saw the edit. I do like lip tricks but there's plenty of fun to be had at Santa Rosa regardless, just gotta go there in the mood to huck huge ollies or get tech on the more mellow spines.

I think one of my all time favorite parks is still Paradise Valley AZ, though haven't gone in a few years since they started charging and enforcing helmet rules.

Even crazier than Santa Rosa, I gotta say that Ben Lomond/Highland in the Santa Cruz mountains is still my favorite park. It's small, simple, but the bowl is a blast and I absolutely love the funbox. Perfect size and ideal inclines on both sides. Same deal, you can BBQ next to redwoods and there's a creek on the other side of the park.

If I could have a trip to skate any park though it would have to be Marsielles, with Burnside coming in a close 2nd.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not crazy, Santa Rosa is rad. I was thrown off the first time because I thought I'd be able to hit the place like Tommy Guerrero but learned quickly that the place is pretty tough to skate, but the second and third times were a lot more fun.

I was gonna comment about not being able to grind but saw the edit. I do like lip tricks but there's plenty of fun to be had at Santa Rosa regardless, just gotta go there in the mood to huck huge ollies or get tech on the more mellow spines.

I think one of my all time favorite parks is still Paradise Valley AZ, though haven't gone in a few years since they started charging and enforcing helmet rules.

Even crazier than Santa Rosa, I gotta say that Ben Lomond/Highland in the Santa Cruz mountains is still my favorite park. It's small, simple, but the bowl is a blast and I absolutely love the funbox. Perfect size and ideal inclines on both sides. Same deal, you can BBQ next to redwoods and there's a creek on the other side of the park.

If I could have a trip to skate any park though it would have to be Marsielles, with Burnside coming in a close 2nd.
Haha, you are the only other person I have heard of that has gone to that place other than myself. Not sure if any of you guys remember Jason Masse but that park is where you will find him hiding.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
Even after I moved from San Jose to Oakland I would still drive to Ben Lomond instead of skating the nearby Berkeley park or something. There were a couple things that I could do there better than pretty much anywhere else I've gone like noseblunt slides on the bump to ledge b the bowl and 360 flips over the funbox there just felt so good. I wish more parks would use the model of simple yet well made objects. A lot of parks just have too much going on, try to be creative/unique to the point where it's detrimental and they end up plopping useless crap where they could just put something simple or even better, leave space open. The park close to my house now has this weird 3 sided A-frame wallie bank thing which mostly gets in the way because it's a few feet from the bottom of a steep bank hip so would be a good place for open space, and the volcano is actually concaved on the top making it awkward to manual of roll off the set up for the tall 1/4 behind it. Ben Lomond is nothing fancy but it's not shitty that's exactly what I like so much about it.