Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 27862 times)

dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
Atheism
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
Any fellow atheists on SLAP? Are we really truly in an Atheist movement... are people jumping out of the closet like the polls say they are? Are the younger generations approaching religion from a more critical point of view? Any veteran atheists on here? Let's here it!

Chris

• Rep: -15
Re: Atheism
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure everyone on Slap is an atheist, or agnostic.

I'm curious of these polls you speak of?

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
Nope, not an Atheist.

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »

ROFLCOCKTOR

• Rep: 9
  • soisoisoisoisoi
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
Most people are agnostic I think, but they pick a religion that relates to them due to social pressures and hope that 'god' isn't down with a different one.

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
Religion is stupid. Religious people pick and choose an justify their own beliefs using selectively read passages from their holy book. Anybody who needs extrinsic rewards to do good deeds or to treat their fellow man with humanity is simply a bad person.
I like how people say shit like the gods of mount olympus or the egyptian gods are obviously fake, but only  a fool who hasn't read the bible closely enough doesn't believe in the new magical deities.
Atheists do need to come out of the closet so this bullshit religious oppression and people governing using a book that claims the world is flat and the sun goes around it as their source of truth.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »
agnostic was coined by t.h. huxley to mean, without knowledge of things unknowable. to say you are an agnostic is the same as saying you are an atheist. either way, you are saying that you can not know that there is a god. now, there are different forms of this belief. some say they are agnostic in the sense that they are not sure, now, they might want to believe that they are not atheists, but they are de facto atheists. the reason, they do not believe in a god. if you do believe there is a god, you can not be an agnostic, because by definition, to be agnostic is to claim that you can not know if there is a god. with that, claiming that you know there are things such as god, or a spirit, or a spiritual world, is dumb.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »
Some call us a doomsday cult, but I like to consider us a gathering of friends.

Hail Cthulhu
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
to say you are an agnostic is the same as saying you are an atheist. either way, you are saying that you can not know that there is a god
Wrong. Atheists positively claim certainty that there is no god, that they do know, and he definitely doesn't exist.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
Agnostic. I keep it a secret from my family, besides my parents, because they are traditional Catholics. A big argument would occur if the rest of my family knew. But I hardly see them so it's not big deal imo. So I really don't know if there is or is not a higher being(s). It would be cool to have an after life, I would like to explore space  as a ghost or some shit.

bort.

• Rep: 53
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
agnostic was coined by t.h. huxley to mean, without knowledge of things unknowable. to say you are an agnostic is the same as saying you are an atheist. either way, you are saying that you can not know that there is a god. now, there are different forms of this belief. some say they are agnostic in the sense that they are not sure, now, they might want to believe that they are not atheists, but they are de facto atheists. the reason, they do not believe in a god. if you do believe there is a god, you can not be an agnostic, because by definition, to be agnostic is to claim that you can not know if there is a god. with that, claiming that you know there are things such as god, or a spirit, or a spiritual world, is dumb.

Wrong. Ever heard of agnostic atheism and agnostic theism?

BriDen

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
I always found it funny that an atheist and a theist are opposites. Makes for some fun when trolling religious morons, but maybe that's just cuz I'm an asshole.

Also, geoff you dumb.

rasputin's pickled dick

• Rep: 56
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
Agnostic. Ever heard of Secular Humanism? Shit's kinda cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

dude

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 06:05:08 PM »
Bertrand Russell on God (1959)

Bertrand Russel is a fuckin G. He was so outspoken about his atheist beliefs in a time when religion was surging through the veins of the world after WWII. Dude's a champ for sure. If he could come out during that time, all you fence sitters can come out too. I'm not American and i understand how hard it might be to come out as an atheist if you are living in an extremely religious state or city, but fuck it, be a fuckin champ and do it.

dude

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »
Religion is stupid. Religious people pick and choose an justify their own beliefs using selectively read passages from their holy book. Anybody who needs extrinsic rewards to do good deeds or to treat their fellow man with humanity is simply a bad person.
I like how people say shit like the gods of mount olympus or the egyptian gods are obviously fake, but only  a fool who hasn't read the bible closely enough doesn't believe in the new magical deities.
Atheists do need to come out of the closet so this bullshit religious oppression and people governing using a book that claims the world is flat and the sun goes around it as their source of truth.
CNN - Bible Condemns A Lot, Why Focus On Homosexuality?

This kid's book is rad. He is religious albeit, his book really speaks to how religious people use their faith and the bible to leverage their own prejudices towards things like sexual preference. Sort of what you were saying in the above quote. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:09:48 PM by dude »

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wrong. Ever heard of agnostic atheism and agnostic theism?

agnostic atheism is redundant, and agnostic theism is an oxymoron. i know that people try to say that they believe there is a god but they are agnostic, the problem is, they are misusing the term and distorting its meaning. when huxley coined the phrase, he was taking atheism to the next level, not watering it down. over time people have tried to rationalize their inability to take a stand by stealing the word. gnostic is the knowledge of spiritual things, "A" gnosticism means without such knowledge, in the same way that" A" theism is without the belief in theism. agnostic theists are simply theists, and they are full of shit as usual.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:29:56 PM by geoff »

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
Expand Quote
to say you are an agnostic is the same as saying you are an atheist. either way, you are saying that you can not know that there is a god
[close]
Wrong. Atheists positively claim certainty that there is no god, that they do know, and he definitely doesn't exist.

wrong

not all atheists positively claim certainty that there is no god, they simply do not have a belief in one. man, you are dumb. you can be an atheist by a de facto non belief. I.e., one can not claim to know whether there is a god or not, but not believe in one, this is called negative atheism. Positive atheism is the belief that there IS NO god. an agnostic, even the kind that misuse the term, do not believe that there is a god, if they did, they could not be an agnostic, they are mutually exclusive, ergo, they are atheist.

again, with your ineptitude, it saddens me that you are involved in education.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:33:29 PM by geoff »

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »
I always found it funny that an atheist and a theist are opposites. Makes for some fun when trolling religious morons, but maybe that's just cuz I'm an asshole.

Also, geoff you dumb.

I was going to argue with this, but seriously, youre right.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:38:03 PM by geoff »

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
is there a heaven for a G?
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
religion is complete and utter bullshit. that is all.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »

There's a difference between "believing" and "knowing", bubba.

BarcelonaCEO

• Rep: -24
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
I'm pretty much apathetic. That means I dont give a shit about this thread either.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

wrong

not all atheists positively claim certainty that there is no god, they simply do not have a belief in one. man, you are dumb. you can be an atheist by a de facto non belief. I.e., one can not claim to know whether there is a god or not, but not believe in one, this is called negative atheism. Positive atheism is the belief that there IS NO god. an agnostic, even the kind that misuse the term, do not believe that there is a god, if they did, they could not be an agnostic, they are mutually exclusive, ergo, they are atheist.

You are still wrong from the start. Atheists who do not positively claim [with] certainty that there is no god are defined as agnostic. People who positively claim with certainty that there is no god, and nothing less, are considered atheists. People who don't know, who know that they can't know, or just don't care are considered agnostic. People who care enough to say with certainty that there is no god outright, such as Richard Dawkins or Stephen Hawking, are atheists.

So like others and I have said before, you are a fucking idiot.

tysj!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/tysj avatar image
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
I am usually agnostic but there are times where I am feeling extra sinister and declare myself atheist.

these are usually pretty funny, though
LUTZKA SUCKED HIS OWN DICK OFF
NOW HIS PUSSY IS 120 GRIT SOFT
I PEELED THAT NIGGAS SKIN OFF LIKE GRIPTAPE
ALIEN UNDERNEATH, EXPLODED JIZZ IN HIS BITCH'S FACE!

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

wrong

[close]
You are still wrong from the start. Atheists who do not positively claim [with] certainty that there is no god are defined as agnostic. People who positively claim with certainty that there is no god, and nothing less, are considered atheists. People who don't know, who know that they can't know, or just don't care are considered agnostic. People who care enough to say with certainty that there is no god outright, such as Richard Dawkins or Stephen Hawking, are atheists.

So like others and I have said before, you are a fucking idiot.

hahaahahaha, the rad thing is, you are totally wrong. i have studied this topic extensively. you are a fucking moron.

here is a link to cambridge and stanford atheist/agnostic pages, they discuss these terms and their controversy/relevance. learn how to do some research and shut the fuck up.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/hmmsoc/atheism.htm

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agnosticism/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:32:46 PM by geoff »

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

can you explain that difference

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

can you explain that difference

be?lieve   
[bih-leev]  Show IPA
verb, -lieved, -liev?ing.
?verb (used without object)
to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so:

Badda bing, badda boom.

kevbo999

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
I am usually agnostic but there are times where I am feeling extra sinister and declare myself atheist.

If you are feeling sinister, go off and see a minister, he'll try in vain to take away the pain of being a hopeless unbeliever.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are feeling sinister, go off and see a minister, he'll try in vain to take away the pain of being a hopeless unbeliever.
Forget that, go to a mormon church, they dont have any interest in your wallet.