Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 33238 times)

Brick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »
I'm going to watch this movie because Anne Hathaway is in it

she looked real good

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm going to watch this movie because Anne Hathaway is in it
[close]

she looked real good

Yup. Holy shit though... what a great movie.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Ragu Stamp of Approval. Satisfied all around. Except one tiny thing: HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILER

Bane being Talia's "goon" or sorts at the end seemed almost too reminiscent of the Poison Ivy/Bane collabo in Batman & Robin. But, easily passible.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Conan

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
Great film, definitely lived up to the hype. Hardy certainly draws from his role as Bronson in how he is a Bane.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »
was definitely really chron. i dont know if its quite dark knight, but you shouldnt expect that anyway. surprised how well anne hathaway did as catwoman

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »
Alfred is good.

The plot relied heavily on knightfall.

The whole bomb thing was stupid.

To be honest, none of his 3 films have been all that. The whole realistic approach just seems dumb. Surely someone could have come up with a more interesting approach by now? At least Sin City tried to keep the feel of the comics.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

victor333

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
Alfred is good.

The plot relied heavily on knightfall.

The whole bomb thing was stupid.

To be honest, none of his 3 films have been all that. The whole realistic approach just seems dumb. Surely someone could have come up with a more interesting approach by now? At least Sin City tried to keep the feel of the comics.

I don't get when people say they don't like the Nolan Batmans being grounded in reality. I know there's different iterations and series of batman, but he's the dark knight. The subject matter is dark, the city is corrupt and violent.

The Burton Batman was good, but the Schumacher ones were just campy garbage. Nolan crafted a believable batman world which allowed people to relate more; it was heavier, and it felt more grand - just my opinion, but the reception to the films tells me a lot of people feel the same way.

I will agree with you that Sin City did a great job handling the material and getting the feel of the comics. At the same time, it's kind of like apples to oranges. You can't handle an action hero like Batman the same way you would handle a methodical, detective, noir film thing.

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
I think I may be in the minority here, but I really did not enjoy the movie.
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
I think I may be in the minority here, but I really did not enjoy the movie.

I watched the movie. Let it settle. Watched it again. Then let it settle a little more . . . . . .

And I'm with you duffmanshredder.

Though the film wasn't bad per se (a handful of sequences were worth the price of admission alone), I still find all the universal acclaim its been getting as rather unwarranted. It was one, big, huge clusterfuck. Nolan shot his wad a little too far with this one in certain respects. A few of the story beats towards the end of the film had my eyes rolling every which way.

Also, the film had a chance to end on an ambiguous note  (ala. Inception, but not quite . . cause that would be tacky), but got a complete gag inducing cop-out of a bookend instead.

Though i  must say, I really really like Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. Maybe its cause i wasn't expecting much in the first place . . .

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Also, the film had a chance to end on an ambiguous note  (ala. Inception, but not quite . . cause that would be tacky), but got a complete gag inducing cop-out of a bookend instead.

I assume you mean the scene at the cafe? I see where you're coming from, but Batman and Catwoman getting together was satisfying on a Mulder and Scully getting together scale. And it would be hard to live with Alfred being bummed to death.

And to the goofus who said Nolan's realistic style doesn't fit with the comics, Batman has had so many different authors and artists for over 70 years making so many different styles, and Nolan's take fits right in. And as a fan of the comics, I think Burton's movies were total bastardizations.

A few things:

1: I FUCKING KNEW MARION COTILLARD WOULD BE TALIA

2: Anne Hathaway haters:

3: I was frustrated by the first act. I found it hard to believe Alfred would let Bruce fall into seclusion for eight years before he had enough and let him in on the letter.

4: BUT the cane in the first act did a great job of disguising the back breaking scene in the trailers. I, like everybody, assumed those scenes would be later in the movie, and not the beginning.

5: How much better would the 'trial' scenes have been if it was the Joker instead of Crane as the judge?

Overall, I loved it and thought it was a fitting end to the series.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
Also, regarding the upcoming reboot, I have a feeling that it will prepare Batman to be a member of the Justice League, given the upcoming Superman movie and the recent Green Lantern one. Snyder has hinted at it, and you can't really top the action of ninjas with guns and tanks vs. cops and batwings unless you bring in Superman's aliens and shit, as they did with The Avengers.

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2012, 11:43:35 PM »
This movie was fucking great. It was NOT perfect but it was tied together perfectly with the other films. It's only fault, in my opinion, is that it really can't stand on it's own. It's part of a trilogy and always has to be that way.  A few things I loved:

• * Casting for the new characters was perfect. Hathaway is by far the best Catwoman (And they never referred to her as Catwoman), Tom Hardy was the perfect Bane. He somehow managed to balance a sense of chaos, fear, and brutality all with most of his face covered, and Joseph Gordon Levitt's Robin was a great mix between Tim Drake and Dick Grayson.
  • * The scenes that came out of the comics. The back breaking scene and a few others where pretty much pulled directly from the comics. Having Scarecrow as the judge in those citizen court hearings was awesome and that entire set looked almost identical to one of the comics. Also, the references to Killer Croc was cool.
  • * The use of Bane's prison pit as a mirror of the comics Lazerus Pit. In the comics, Ra's was literally immortal but in the film it was done in a way that his goal was immortal through Talia, who was born in the pit. Bruce is also "reborn" because of it.
  • * The ending was a great way to tie together the message of the entire trilogy. It may have been a bit cliche, but it worked perfectly and I can't imagine any other ending really closing it up the right way.

Also, my friends little sister played the young Talia. I thought that was rad, personally.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Expand Quote
Also, the film had a chance to end on an ambiguous note  (ala. Inception, but not quite . . cause that would be tacky), but got a complete gag inducing cop-out of a bookend instead.
[close]

I assume you mean the scene at the cafe? I see where you're coming from, but Batman and Catwoman getting together was satisfying on a Mulder and Scully getting together scale. And it would be hard to live with Alfred being bummed to death.

And to the goofus who said Nolan's realistic style doesn't fit with the comics, Batman has had so many different authors and artists for over 70 years making so many different styles, and Nolan's take fits right in. And as a fan of the comics, I think Burton's movies were total bastardizations.

A few things:

1: I FUCKING KNEW MARION COTILLARD WOULD BE TALIA

2: Anne Hathaway haters:

3: I was frustrated by the first act. I found it hard to believe Alfred would let Bruce fall into seclusion for eight years before he had enough and let him in on the letter.

4: BUT the cane in the first act did a great job of disguising the back breaking scene in the trailers. I, like everybody, assumed those scenes would be later in the movie, and not the beginning.

5: How much better would the 'trial' scenes have been if it was the Joker instead of Crane as the judge?

Overall, I loved it and thought it was a fitting end to the series.

I wasn't the greatest fan of Burton's Batman either. In general, Hollywood can't do comics very well. They weren't dark at all really. Look at the Killing Joke, Year One and Dark Knight Returns, all of them were way darker and had more of story and feel to them.

The thing I found was making these films look "realistic" made Batman look ridiculous. A few points in the film Batman just looked silly standing there in his suit, talking like a twat. The twist was pretty weak too and seemed pointless. Going for these big grandiose story lines is just typical Hollywood.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:31:12 AM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
I wasn't the greatest fan of Burton's Batman either. In general, Hollywood can't do comics very well. They weren't dark at all really. Look at the Killing Joke, Year One and Dark Knight Returns, all of them were way darker and had more of story and feel to them.

The thing I found was making these films look "realistic" made Batman look ridiculous. A few points in the film Batman just looked silly standing there in his suit, talking like a twat. The twist was pretty weak too and seemed pointless. Going for these big grandiose story lines is just typical Hollywood.

Dog, if you don't realize by now that the movie will never match the written imagination, do yourself a favor and let that fact sink in now. You have to take film adaptations for just that, and hope their references to the written source material are true as they can be, while also taking into account that this is an entirely different medium and story altogether. If you look at any scene of Batman standing in a suit "talking like a twat" (both film and comics) then normalcy will tell you, it is silly and ridiculous. Nothing makes it cool unless you want it to be. Batman is always a big grandiose story.. that's what makes any comic character interesting and relatable. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But don't try to blame it on generalized gradations of book vs. movie because you're not presenting a debatable issue there, you're presenting accepted fact.

Also, as for "talking like a twat" and anyone who thinks the hoarse voice is unnecessary:

Right there, taken from "Knightfall." Just because you can't hear it in the books, doesn't mean that's not the way it's meant to be.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dog, if you don't realize by now that the movie will never match the written imagination, do yourself a favor and let that fact sink in now. You have to take film adaptations for just that, and hope their references to the written source material are true as they can be, while also taking into account that this is an entirely different medium and story altogether. If you look at any scene of Batman standing in a suit "talking like a twat" (both film and comics) then normalcy will tell you, it is silly and ridiculous. Nothing makes it cool unless you want it to be. Batman is always a big grandiose story.. that's what makes any comic character interesting and relatable. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But don't try to blame it on generalized gradations of book vs. movie because you're not presenting a debatable issue there, you're presenting accepted fact.

Also, as for "talking like a twat" and anyone who thinks the hoarse voice is unnecessary:

Right there, taken from "Knightfall." Just because you can't hear it in the books, doesn't mean that's not the way it's meant to be.

It wasn't a very good adaptation. It could  have been done more imaginatively. Obviously you can't exactly match the other, but 20 + years down the line and still on this MI-style shit?

Obviously there is a gap between the two mediums but do something with that. If you don't expect anything, then you're happy whatever I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:32:55 AM by 360 frip »

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
What the fuck are you talking about "more imaginatively" and "gap between the two mediums but do something with that."?

victor333

« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
What the fuck are you talking about "more imaginatively" and "gap between the two mediums but do something with that."?

he means less this:

and more this:

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Expand Quote
[close]

I thought the last scene would have been better if it cut on michael caines face lighting up from seeing something across the cafe leaving the reaction shot of bale up to our imagination. and i hope to god they dont continue with the series with levitt as the new batman/fighting crime as robin.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »
I haven't seen this yet but if it's a clusterfuck the reasoning behind that would probably be the fact that Heath Ledger died forcing Christopher Nolan to start over on everything he had in mind. I could be wrong but I feel like I remember hearing the studio pressured him into making a new script by a current date and then this movie still came out a little later than it was supposed to.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
Too much schtick.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #200 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought the last scene would have been better if it cut on michael caines face lighting up from seeing something across the cafe leaving the reaction shot of bale up to our imagination. and i hope to god they dont continue with the series with levitt as the new batman/fighting crime as robin.
That would have been so much better.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »

I was thinking this exact thing while the movie was on. Crane was out because the prison got busted open, and according to the storyline The Joker was in that prison too. Fucking lame that Ledger had to die. He would have been AMAZING in that role.

Criticize this Bane all you want, its 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the last movie Bane, where he couldn't even talk and dies without much of a fight at all. What a fucking shame that was.

What I thought made this one cool was knowing coming in that Nolan said it was the final chapter, so anything could have happened, especially with Bane as the bad guy, and really, in the end, although he survives, Bruce's life is pretty destroyed despite surviving.  Of course, when I saw that scene at the beginning, I knew they were giving it the ol' Good Will Hunting ending.

I was kind of hoping that it would end with him actually killing bane instead of Selena doing it, the way he so obsesively avoids killing people I thought it would be an awesome end. He was ready to do it too, its a shame it didn't go down that way.

Overall, a satisfying end to the trilogy, flawed at points, but a really intense movie.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Expand Quote
Also, the film had a chance to end on an ambiguous note  (ala. Inception, but not quite . . cause that would be tacky), but got a complete gag inducing cop-out of a bookend instead.
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is EXACTLY the ending I was thinking of.

Also, its been written many times since Batman Begins first came out that one of the stipulations Christian Bale and Nolan agreed upon before making the movie series was that Robin would never ever in a million years show his face in the trilogy. Bale fucking hated the the whole concept of having a Robin-esque character within this modern day vision of the Batman mythology.
I dunno if the studio pressured them into doing so (cause this is the type of shit they do) . . . but that little thing they pulled with Joseph Gordon Levitt's character at the end was sooooooo lame. It really wasn't called for, and pretty pandering.

If they were to do a *wink wink nudge nudge* thing to the audience, why couldn't they have just said his full legal name was Richard Greyson or something, instead of fuckin "ROBIN." There were definitely a few instances in the film that seemed to impugn the audience's movie-watching comprehension, opting to hold the viewer's hand by fucking explaining shit that wasn't exactly rocket science to begin with.

The film's predecessor, "The Dark Knight," didn't do any of that shit.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Also, its been written many times since Batman Begins first came out that one of the stipulations Christian Bale and Nolan agreed upon before making the movie series was that Robin would never ever in a million years show his face in the trilogy. Bale fucking hated the the whole concept of having a Robin-esque character within this modern day vision of the Batman mythology.
I dunno if the studio pressured them into doing so (cause this is the type of shit they do) . . . but that little thing they pulled with Joseph Gordon Levitt's character at the end was sooooooo lame. It really wasn't called for, and pretty pandering.

If they were to do a *wink wink nudge nudge* thing to the audience, why couldn't they have just said his full legal name was Richard Greyson or something, instead of fuckin "ROBIN." There were definitely a few instances in the film that seemed to impugn the audience's movie-watching comprehension, opting to hold the viewer's hand by fucking explaining shit that wasn't exactly rocket science to begin with.

Nolan had a lot on his plate wrapping this series up. There were a lot of themes left from the 2nd film to resolve. Up until now, I had no reason to doubt his judgement. There is a great film buried in the dark knight rises. Like you said, I feel like a lot was over explained instead of trusting the audiences' intelligence. The filmmaker in me wants to do my own edit of this film once its on dvd, although I hope Nolan does a director cut of his own thats at least 30 minutes shorter. The pieces of a masterpiece are there, it just didn't have the rhythm necessary to deliver. 

S.E.

« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
You gotta wonder what Nolan and co had in mind for the finale before Heath died.  You know when he got the news of his death, Nolan must of shit himself.   

cool spot

• Rep: 28
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
Killer Croc joke near the beginning of the movie got me chuckling. The first 2/3s of the movie were much better than the last. I'm glad they had the image of Bane dropping Batman over his knee. Marion Cotillard is still fucking smoking hot.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SPOILER CITY BELOW

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nolan had a lot on his plate wrapping this series up. There were a lot of themes left from the 2nd film to resolve. Up until now, I had no reason to doubt his judgement. There is a great film buried in the dark knight rises. Like you said, I feel like a lot was over explained instead of trusting the audiences' intelligence. The filmmaker in me wants to do my own edit of this film once its on dvd, although I hope Nolan does a director cut of his own thats at least 30 minutes shorter. The pieces of a masterpiece are there, it just didn't have the rhythm necessary to deliver. 

agreed on all accounts, especially what I bolded.

With the task of wrapping the series up, it seems likes Nolan tried to keep in mind what certain niche spectators would wanna see in a final installment  (comic book enthusiasts, geeks, cinephiles, critics, general popcorn popping audiences, etc.), and kinda went all over the map as to keeping everyone happy and satiated.

Certain parts of the film were fucking amazing, but a lot of it was ultimately tarnishing to all the cinematic momentum Nolan and co. had been building upon up and to this point in time.

And what we're left with is an unnecessarily bloated mess.

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Just saw it. Way different than expected. Completely different tone from the last film. I really enjoyed it, and Tom Hardy, for having such little dialogue, really stole the show. First act felt rushed. Last 8 minutes also felt rushed. I'm going to have to see it and digest it again in order to shit out a decent opinion. Spoiler below.

I would make an honest woman out of Anne Hathaway.

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
Awesome movie as expected, but the ending did feel a little rushed. Bruce wayne's "burial" and the caf? scene were too close together to really give you the idea bruce/batman had actually died in the explosion. it would've been more satisfying if he were actually dead, but batman saved gotham once and for all, and the whole robin bit would've been left out. would've been really epic to end the trilogy on a dark note. Also agree that the inception-esque michael caine-only ending would've been better than actually seeing bruce and selina together. Also, when bane and his henchmen escape from wall street it's light out, but "within 8 minutes" according to the movie, it's totally dark out (during the motorcycle chase). That was a pretty big flaw.

When batman and catwoman kiss in full constume, people were clapping. and here, NO ONE fucking claps at the movies, so that was pretty epic.

An awesome movie with a few flaws but all in all an awesome way to end the trilogy. can't wait to get my hands on some special edition blu-ray for all the extras.