Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 33240 times)

Jesus-Condom

Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »

Donkey Lips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
Pretty sure Nolan is going to wrap it up so that nobody else can touch it - so we're probably looking at the very real possibility of Batman getting either killed or his back snapped by Bane.

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »
As much of a badass he is, I still don't think Christian Bale is the right guy for the job. Batman doesn't have a lisp.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Leaked Teaser Trailer
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It won't blow, it will be amazing. Nolan has not made a bad film. I have complete faith in him.
[close]

amazes me how people liked inception... worst movie from that whole genre. sucker punch shit all over it and that movie and sucker punch was pretty much awful. but at least the sucker punch's director gets that the more interesting thing about this genre is being creative with the worlds and charaters and didn't spend 50% of the screen time explaining the rules of the universe. they just copied the premise of dancers in the dark and then added giant robot samurais and dragons.
[close]

"Sucker Punch shit all over it" sheesh I disagree

I'll take Nolan over Zach Snyder any fucking day of the week, I think I remember you saying in the Inception thread that there wasnt enough cool creative dream shit and too much "GI Joe shooter stuff" or something along those lines. Of course films are subjective and who am I to try and convince you to like Inception. I just feel it doesnt have to adhere to some sort of rule for being in a specific "genre". It was an original film written and conceived by Nolan so why should it have to be compared to Fire Breathing Dragons and Zombie Nazi's like some 13yr olds dream movie, because it takes place in the "mind"?

And I agree with Miadaskate, Nolan has not made a bad film, Memento, The Prestige, Inception, all were great

If you hated Inception that much you must have really been looking for a different film.

fair enough, that might be the case. maybe i had the wrong kind of expectations but they were created by a trailer that framed the film as being a trippy dream sequence type of film, not a simple hiest film (which admittedly is a genre that i mostly don't like save reservoir dogs).

but even that shouldn't be enough to make me dislike a film and it wasn't that alone that made me dislike the film. things i hated:

- poor, forgetable charaters. i don't like ellen page as a lead, especially not in an action film. more importantly, where was the iconic villian? ok, then how about a memorable villian? i mean this is nollan right, the same guy who did batman and all we get is g.i. joe, nameless faceless bad guys? didn't get keanu but then casted a look alike with similar manerisms? i mean come on, og keanu sucks enough do we have to cast a poor mans keanu?
- way to much time spent explaining the rules. it was a simple premise, no need to spend 45 minutes of screen time talking about it. as you go deeper, time slows down exponentially. could have explained it in one scene but beat it to death.
- severe lack of creativity for the dream worlds. they bait you with the mc escher stuff and then deliever nothing. if you watched any of the scenes in isolation you'd have no idea what was the dream world and what wasn't because there was nothing special about them. i think that's a major creative missed opportunity and found it especially annoying after being baited by a trailer that hinted at something better. at least throw some psychologically trippy stuff in there or subtle stuff.
- "The butler did it." unlike memento which didn't have fantasy elements but had an interesting, original premise with a fun to follow non-linear plot puzzel to solve, this film tried way to hard and failed miserably at this. the premise had been done so many times and they didn't change it one bit. they couldn't have someone else be dreaming, it had to be the main charater yet again. not a single curve ball, just the same old with the addition of nested dream worlds and exponential time slow down. not exactly a fun to solve puzzel when the whole film you are waiting for them to reveal the clincher and you get same old, same old "it's the main charater who's really dreaming." this is the one that amazes me the most, i can't believe more people weren't dissappointed by the weakness of the puzzel aspect of the film especially considering that they went so light on charaters, dialogs, sets, etc...

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »
Pretty sure Nolan is going to wrap it up so that nobody else can touch it - so we're probably looking at the very real possibility of Batman getting either killed or his back snapped by Bane.

I wouldn't be surprised if Batman was killed at the end, but based on a plot synopsis--this one plus another on screen junkies I think, but I can't find it--I read I'm pretty sure Bane breaks his back in their first outing. Then Catwoman sort of takes over, and Batman returns. That's what it is believed to be hinted at when Gordon says "Batman must come back" and Bruce responds, "But what if he can't?" I don't think it's just a legal thing with the public thinking Batman killed Dent, but more of a physical detriment.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't be surprised if Batman was killed at the end, but based on a plot synopsis--this one plus another on screen junkies I think, but I can't find it--I read I'm pretty sure Bane breaks his back in their first outing. Then Catwoman sort of takes over, and Batman returns. That's what it is believed to be hinted at when Gordon says "Batman must come back" and Bruce responds, "But what if he can't?" I don't think it's just a legal thing with the public thinking Batman killed Dent, but more of a physical detriment.
I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the link boss!

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »
Youtube version for those who don't like the facebook player.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
here's what i've noticed with this movie: is it just me or does it seem that most/a lot of the people hyped for DKR are either big Nolan fans or just fans of the franchise? like how many fans of this are actually fans of the comics and used to follow the storylines? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Year One?

Miadaskate

• Rep: 1
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
here's what i've noticed with this movie: is it just me or does it seem that most/a lot of the people hyped for DKR are either big Nolan fans or just fans of the franchise? like how many fans of this are actually fans of the comics and used to follow the storylines? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Year One?

Well, it's a long story...

I grew up lightly reading the comics, watching the 90's animated series / movies, playing with action figures, and watching the 4 Batman films of '89-90's (Yes, even Batman & Robin, which put a bad taste in everyone's mouth. After that, I got into Marvel films I guess as I grew up. I worked for three years as a canvasser. In 2007, my partner and I were robbed at gunpoint. Our wallets, phones, even our shoes, were taken. We were left unharmed, yet I felt so helpless after that. But I was also filled with anger, since the people who robbed my partner and I never went to court even after Detectives caught them robbing pizza guys and one of them had my phone. It was during this time that I saw Batman Begins for the very first time and was immediately inspired. I'm still blown away every time I see it. So of course that led me to Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, Under The Red Hood, Arkham Asylum, etc... Then I saw The Dark Knight which led me to see all of Nolan's other films. To this day I still want to go out and fight crime at night, or at least do some Charles Bronson shit. I know that nothing happened to my partner and I physically unlike Bruce witnessing his parent's death, but something did change me that night.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:45:39 PM by Miadaskate »

BarcelonaCEO

• Rep: -24
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »
I thought this was gonna be a Batman movie.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, it's a long story...

I grew up lightly reading the comics, watching the 90's animated series / movies, playing with action figures, and watching the 4 Batman films of '89-90's (Yes, even Batman & Robin, which put a bad taste in everyone's mouth. After that, I got into Marvel films I guess as I grew up. I worked for three years as a canvasser. In 2007, my partner and I were robbed at gunpoint. Our wallets, phones, even our shoes, were taken. We were left unharmed, yet I felt so helpless after that. But I was also filled with anger, since the people who robbed my partner and I never went to court even after Detectives caught them robbing pizza guys and one of them had my phone. It was during this time that I saw Batman Begins for the very first time and was immediately inspired. I'm still blown away every time I see it. So of course that led me to Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, Under The Red Hood, Arkham Asylum, etc... Then I saw The Dark Knight which led me to see all of Nolan's other films. To this day I still want to go out and fight crime at night, or at least do some Charles Bronson shit. I know that nothing happened to my partner and I physically unlike Bruce witnessing his parent's death, but something did change me that night.

gnarly

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 12:27:32 AM »

Both, which is why the pairing works so well. I started getting into the comics 3 years ago. Read the Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Batman: HUSH (personal favourite) and the Long Halloween. However, for some reason or the other, I never read Year One, blowing it

Mask of the Phantasm is still my favourite piece of Batman film/comic/art ever.

I recorded the entire Batman: The Animated Series on my PVR and have been slowly watching them, theyre really well done, makes me wish I watched them when I was a kid

Im reading All Star Batman & Robin - The Boy Wonder. Story by Frank Miller, Art my Jim Lee (of Batman:HUSH) he's amazing

PFIASB.

• Rep: -94
  • Formerly elmo
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:40 AM »

wont be as good as this was

And if you think inception sucked you are a true hater
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 03:14:08 AM »
Batman won't die. Warner Brothers and DC would never green light a script with Batman getting killed at the end.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 04:56:57 AM »
I was more of a Marvel kid in my days. I fucked around with some Batman issues though around the time Knightfall came out, which I'm assuming is a heavy influence on this film. I think I still have the issue where Bane actually breaks him, and then have the later issue where Jean-Paul takes the mantle as the new Batman and cripples Bane.

Riverside

• Rep: -33
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »

downloading it and reporting afterwards
Sooner or later the Karma always end in your fucking face

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
ho shit. i loved that one as a kid. i can picture the big plastic boxed vhs on my grandma's shelf

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »

Miadaskate

• Rep: 1
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

Pretty damn cool :

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »

wait is that the song from the batman cartoon that was always on cartoon network in the 90s?
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
wait is that the song from the batman cartoon that was always on cartoon network in the 90s?

no its a variation of the theme

this is the one your'e thinking of

Jesus-Condom

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

This is what got me into batman smokecrack. I would watch this show non-stop, even recently i watched an episode and enjoyed it. Superman was way to happy with bright colors and villains that were mediocre. Batman was dark and mysterious and just gritty, I loved it.

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 07:54:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

This is what got me into batman smokecrack. I would watch this show non-stop, even recently i watched an episode and enjoyed it. Superman was way to happy with bright colors and villains that were mediocre. Batman was dark and mysterious and just gritty, I loved it.
yea i watched this shit every night after dinner. cartoon network used to be the shit. courage the cowardly dog, ed edd and eddy, gundam wing, dragon ball z. nickelodeon was pretty tight too
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 05:44:45 AM »

it only got 74 on metacritic which is not in an "unhatable" range by a long shot. after scanning the negative reviews plenty of people had problems with the exact same kind of things.

For the most part "Inception" is a handsome, clever and grindingly self-serious boy-movie, shorn of imagination, libido, spirituality or emotional depth. Nolan establishes a fascinating world, loaded with trapdoors, symbols and hidden secrets, and then squanders the opportunity on an overpriced "Twilight Zone" episode.

A film trying feverishly to spin your head whilst feverishly trying to explain how it's spinning it.

What is the point of having an imagination, I ask you, if the only thing that can be imagined is mayhem, perpetrated without regard for even the appearance of human life?

codithou

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »
For those into the comics, I suggest you look into this cross over with spawn. I was always a big fan of both batman and spawn so I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is decent, but I love the artwork.

(Sorry for the image spam..)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:58:53 PM by codithou »

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
downloading it and reporting afterwards

Damn,I remember watching this as a kid, I was scared shitless.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

codithou

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
still own this one.

My dad was really into Spawn back in the 90s so when I went looking through all of his comics i found two copies of that, along with The Dark Knight Returns and about the first 80 issues of Spawn. I read them all in just a few days and I've been hooked on comics ever since.
If only they did a proper Spawn film and really gave it the comic style justice it deserves..

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »
Batman won't die. Warner Brothers and DC would never green light a script with Batman getting killed at the end.
christopher nolan has made plenty of loot for warner bros with the previous batman movies and inception. at this point, he can make a movie where its just batman jerking off for 2 and a half hours and they would green light it as long as its the next batman flick.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »
There is already plans for a Batman after this one, whether or not Bale and the cast is in the next one, who knows, but Nolan is going to be in some type of consulting role.

I honestly think, Nolan might just fucking end this one with a broken Batman and let someone else pick up the reins and start fresh. 

Whoa, what's up Luke? Haven't seen you on here too much lately. Hope you're well. Where'd you hear about a new Batman after this one? I'm curious to read up on it if you have a link.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?