Author Topic: Cheap shit on Amazon I got for a Vixia HF M40 (other Cannons/Sony related too)  (Read 825 times)

grimcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Note: no affiliate links or any shit like that... just wound up on some good deals and wanted to share the info in case anyone's interested.

I have a Sony HDR-HC9 (37mm threads) that's got a reoccurring CMOS jitter, so after that I got a used Vixia HV30 (43mm threads), but I think the weather down here killed it (the deck won't accept tapes anymore, before that it was fucking up timecodes so bad you couldn't play tapes without having them start/stop every other second).

Cannon/Sony consumer/prosumer heads:
I had a few step up rings for my wide angle conversion lenses, but wanted a real fisheye if I could find one in my budget. Most of the stuff I do is for shitty YouTube vids, so buying a nice Century Optics wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, this is coming in today (Opteka Platinum Series 0.3x)... I got the Sony version because it's 20 bucks cheaper than the 43mm.

TL;DR
Basically a decent-enough $300 dollar fish for about $80.

Cannon specific:
The battery that came with it is one of the new-school lithium ions (on my old Vixia, I could use the same batteries as my Cannon Rebel X-something... the cheap one from a couple years ago).

I had bought the camera at Best Buy (first flash memory cam I've had, gotta admit I'm liking the workflow), and went to price the extended life batteries... which were well over $100 in store, and online the cheapest I saw was about $80. There were some off brand batteries that work, but they lack the little smart chip and don't communicate to the camera as to how much juice they have in 'em.

SOOOooo ANYWAYS, dug around some more and found these motherfuckers right here... less than $20 fucking bucks a pop, and I think they were made by the OEM because they *do* have the chip... I charged and tested the two I bought and they're fucking dope! The stock battery holds about 125 minutes worth of juice (just the replacement stock at BB was nearly $90), the two news ones I have are reading in at 399 minutes.

Anyway, I'm just really fucking hyped... wanted to share in case this strikes a chord with anyone.