Author Topic: Oslo, Norway  (Read 1056 times)

BriefCase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Oslo, Norway
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
so my family friend from norway has offered for my best friend and me to stay with them in oslo until we can find steady work and a place to live. just wanted to ask a few questions before we uproot and dive balls deep into this.

-how hard is it for an english speaking person to get by?
-would bikes/cruisers suffice as means of trans.
-would it be hard to find jobs? (we are aware that language barriers might interfere, but we would be looking for jobs such as dishwashers, stock boys, other scrub work..)

any info would be appreciated

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
Re: Oslo, Norway
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
i'm visiting there soon. this is what people have told me so far.

live in Oslo and its really great in the summer, not so much in the winter. Compared to most countries its pretty expensive but also the average persons salary here is pretty high. For example youll usually pay around 10 dollars for a beer at bars, and normal rent is around 900-1000 dollars a month. But again the lowest youll make an hour is probably around 20 dollars, usually more. And that basicly applies to any job, even the crappy local supermarket job.

Go to city hall to for a nice flatground sesh, and meet other skaters. You should also check out the night life which is pretty good. Most women are beatiful and - more importantly - loose!

yeah, another amazing thing about sweden, norway, denmark and the others is that pretty much everyone under the age of say, 50, is fluent in english. the young people love to speak english so being an american going there it isnt too bad because you can communicate with everyone you come across.

more here
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=46684.msg1483130#msg1483130
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:12:52 PM by macgruber »

Human Onion

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
* Getting a job - like the ones you mentioned -  here won't be too hard, I think. You can also get work at a cafe or something. 
* If you live in inner oslo then a bike is all you need. During winter use a tram/subway/bus or walk - inner oslo is pretty small.
* Norwegians are pretty good english speakers so you won't have any problems communicating.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
Basicly what everyone said. Finding a job here is pretty easy if you have the right visas. Im not really sure but i think its pretty easy to get it. Norwegians are good english speakers and also norwegian is also easy to learn so the language barrier is no problem

Edit: Oslo just got voted the worlds most expensive city! hooray
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:50:57 PM by alrightythen »