Author Topic: Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?  (Read 30319 times)

ttching!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Personally, I think the 'Believe' ball-sack sweat tamer is going to be a fucking game changer. Gonna have to talk with Fidelity about getting some DNA stock added to the portfolio.

MisterX

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
i am not afraid for Alien Workshop, i think Rob will not change it so much.
Maybe the structure from Office/Distribution/ Design and move it to cali.

But that makes sense if he will "control" DNA/Alien/Habitat.
But Habitat he will change complete to an "life style" company, so he need to
change the Distribution first.

I think Alien is Rob?s "hobby" and giving DNA some credibillity
and Habitat he try to make a cashcow out of it.
Skateboards/clothing/shoes + livestyle shit....
Core/Alien and Mainstream/Habitat goes hand in hand and the winner is Rob Dyrdek.

Anything else doesnt make sense.
Changing someting like Alien is just stupid.
You dont give money to buy one of the most legit Hardgood Company to make it shitty.
You dont make that money with hardgoods, the cost of changing it is just wasted money.

Changing, design and distribution outlets are pretty major changes.

Also, please explain to me what "livestyle" shit is.  So the way you see it Habitat will be making boards, shoes, and clothing...sounds exactly like what they make now.  If his "hobby" or mission was to give DNA credibility taking a company away from it's roots and moving it to California under the same roof as Metal Mulisha probably isn't the best approach.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Alex Olson can jump ship just before Pretty Sweet, thus extending his video part drought. ? Get Fat Bill involved. ? Call it....Vice Skateboards, sold exclusively at American Apparel stores in very limited stock. ?
[close]

Judging from your attempt at humour, it must be 2006 where you live.

I'm sorry HairyCunt, that was pretty lame.  Can we still be friends?   

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
Personally, I think the 'Believe' ball-sack sweat tamer is going to be a fucking game changer. Gonna have to talk with Fidelity about getting some DNA stock added to the portfolio.

Thanks

wheee!

steenz

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
this is very interesting

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 02:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote
i am not afraid for Alien Workshop, i think Rob will not change it so much.
Maybe the structure from Office/Distribution/ Design and move it to cali.

But that makes sense if he will "control" DNA/Alien/Habitat.
But Habitat he will change complete to an "life style" company, so he need to
change the Distribution first.

I think Alien is Rob?s "hobby" and giving DNA some credibillity
and Habitat he try to make a cashcow out of it.
Skateboards/clothing/shoes + livestyle shit....
Core/Alien and Mainstream/Habitat goes hand in hand and the winner is Rob Dyrdek.

Anything else doesnt make sense.
Changing someting like Alien is just stupid.
You dont give money to buy one of the most legit Hardgood Company to make it shitty.
You dont make that money with hardgoods, the cost of changing it is just wasted money.

[close]

Changing, design and distribution outlets are pretty major changes.

Also, please explain to me what "livestyle" shit is.  So the way you see it Habitat will be making boards, shoes, and clothing...sounds exactly like what they make now.  If his "hobby" or mission was to give DNA credibility taking a company away from it's roots and moving it to California under the same roof as Metal Mulisha probably isn't the best approach.

maybe i am not well-worded

Alien Workshopt is an Label, with an History and an Style. I dont belife that Rob is changing this.
But behind that Label there is an distribution/  design department / managing department/ ect.
And i think he will move this People/ Part of the company from DNA to California.
Thats shitty for the people who like to life in Dayton/Ohio, have houses and familiy there, but for
the owner that makes sense.... and maybe are some people at Alien/DNA happy that they can move from
Ohio to California.

Rob want to make money he is an business man.
I think he will turn Habitat more from a now "core skateboard company" to an "lifestyle company"
we all have heard rumors like cosmetics/ soaping.
Rob belief he can make something bigger out of Habitat an ecological environmentallly sustainable skate and lifestyle label...
or something like that.
Habitat as an Label have maybe potential for an major target group, maybe you see in the future Mothers in Habitat Dress, and you have some organic habitat deodorant in Habitat Stores wordwide. I dont know.

I hope Rob knows that there is allready an Habitat Lifestyle Label in Europe.... www.habitat.de its ownd by of the most richest persons of the world Ingvar Kamprad the owner of www.ikea.com

to get in a copyright act with that guy is harder then to deal with the hells angels.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »

This.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

Yeah but when you make an ad with the word "believe" it should mean something. Not "believe"......in dividends and a diversified portfolio.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 02:14:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do you guys even remember Seek? It really wasn't that cool. Foily paint. Leftover whatever AWS graphics. Greg Myers.
[close]

I'm glad someone does, that shit sucked.
[close]
You dudes are trippin. Kalis, Carolino and Flo all on one team is your definition of sucking? Fuck outta here.
Carolino and Marfaing, that's who you bring up. I'm assuming you're European.

Kalis in mono was awesome. Still is. But that company wasn't. I forgot Bjorn Johnston rode for Seek.

It's probably also the reason Mikey Taylor is on Alien Workshop. Dude is cool, but I've always thought that was an odd fit for him to be on Alien.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:00:12 PM by macgruber »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do you guys even remember Seek? It really wasn't that cool. Foily paint. Leftover whatever AWS graphics. Greg Myers.
[close]

I'm glad someone does, that shit sucked.
[close]
You dudes are trippin. Kalis, Carolino and Flo all on one team is your definition of sucking? Fuck outta here.
[close]
Carolino and Marfaing, that's who you bring up. I'm assuming you're European.

Kalis in mono was awesome. Still is. But that company wasn't. I forgot Bjorn Johnston rode for Seek.

It's probably also the reason Mikey Taylor is on Alien Workshop. Dude is cool, but I've always thought that was an odd fit for him to be on Alien.

makes me miss new flo footage.

lurka lurka

• Rep: 2
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I think a lot of people here are putting alien on a pedestal it doesn't really fit on. I'm sure there are some people on here old enough to remember when alien was everywhere. 93-95 or 96 every mall walker, surfer, jock whatever was running aws. That fuckin spectrum graphic was damn near everywhere on every soccer mom in town. Their mainstream popularity came and went, and they were fine. If anything it gave them the time and money to come back with things like photosynthesis and beefing up their roster.

The reality is hardgoods aren't the breadwinner they used to be and dna can't be doing amazing (i'm only assuming here but i think its a fair assumption) considering how it's been changing hands the last few years. So, if it means a good company has to expand its consumer base to keep its core intact, fuck it, you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't hear many people complaining about vans having mall stores and girls lines cause it lets them keep the classics and skate programs going even if they may or may not be keeping the company afloat on their own. Dna can do their habitat rebrand and aws will still be aws, and habitat will still be habitat. Making money doesn't equal selling out or whatever you guys are complaining about.

As for the 12%, I worked for a company that relocated and that sort of offer was only extended to management. the rest of us were just told to move with or move on. That's a pretty stand up thing to offer in my opinion if it applied to everyone.

JPCanada

• Rep: 0
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »
Carolino and Mirtain, that's who you bring up. I'm assuming you're European.

[/quote]

I agree with you that Mikey Taylor seems like a weird fit on Alien.  That being said, he definitely seems like one of the nicer dudes in skateboarding, so I doubt he's rubbing anybody on the team the wrong way.  Plus, he is a skate rat.  He might not always be "in the van" like those guys have said in the past, but it sounds like he skates everyday.  In terms of this topic, he seems least likely to leave as a result of the changes at DNA.

Another interesting tangent in the Alien saga...remember in Pop's Epicly Later'd when he talks about why he left Alien?  I believe Strobeck says something about him being bummed on dudes in the van just talking about themselves for entire trips.  It's obviously pure speculation but do you guys have any guesses as to who that may have been?  My best guess is Berra obviously.  Least likely would be Heath.

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
I think a lot of people here are putting alien on a pedestal it doesn't really fit on. I'm sure there are some people on here old enough to remember when alien was everywhere. 93-95 or 96 every mall walker, surfer, jock whatever was running aws. That fuckin spectrum graphic was damn near everywhere on every soccer mom in town. Their mainstream popularity came and went, and they were fine. If anything it gave them the time and money to come back with things like photosynthesis and beefing up their roster.

The reality is hardgoods aren't the breadwinner they used to be and dna can't be doing amazing (i'm only assuming here but i think its a fair assumption) considering how it's been changing hands the last few years. So, if it means a good company has to expand its consumer base to keep its core intact, fuck it, you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't hear many people complaining about vans having mall stores and girls lines cause it lets them keep the classics and skate programs going even if they may or may not be keeping the company afloat on their own. Dna can do their habitat rebrand and aws will still be aws, and habitat will still be habitat. Making money doesn't equal selling out or whatever you guys are complaining about.

As for the 12%, I worked for a company that relocated and that sort of offer was only extended to management. the rest of us were just told to move with or move on. That's a pretty stand up thing to offer in my opinion if it applied to everyone.

I still think they're corny because of this period. Team is sick...everything else about them sucks.

lurka lurka

• Rep: 2
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I still think they're corny because of this period. Team is sick...everything else about them sucks.

I thought they were pretty cheeseball at the time too, graphics wise at least. But it came and went and then you had the photosynthesis era alien, the pendleton graphics, all good shit.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
I wouldnt mind seeing dill and ave leave. they do seem to be a kind of a lynchpin for the team but i would like to see that initial scary moment happen to dna. then let the kids figure out what alien workshop should be. Dill/ave's perspective is cool but not necessary. Let em get on chocolate or girl or do their own company somewhere. And take dylan with you. I kinda want this generation of workshop to be built around gilbert jake and grant, they have the best philosophys in skateboarding right now. Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.

This makes sense, dont get me wrong i like Dill but im kinda tired of that Supreme shit he's got going on and all the cool kids riding alien boards. A company based around Gilbert, Jake,Grant and Ozar would be good.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
This is severely depressing. AVE and Dill are so synonymous with Alien that the company will never be the same. I've loved Alien since I started skating and after everything the company has been through nothing has upset me more than this. I've been able to put up with Dyrdek but now I can't help but feel like this is all his fault and he is shooting his own company in the foot. He is abandoning the people who have helped build and support AWS as well as the people that have been actually buying their boards.

Rob is delusional and seriously believes that the decisions he makes are for the betterment of skateboarding. I wish Dill and AVE would have shook some sense into him and maybe thats what they tried to do, but I hate that it came to them leaving.

Also, I can't help but wonder how Heath feels about the way Rob is running things. I don't know why but I feel like he would have an interesting opinion now that he is not associated with Rob or Alien anymore.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Alex Olson can jump ship just before Pretty Sweet, thus extending his video part drought.  Get Fat Bill involved.  Call it....Vice Skateboards, sold exclusively at American Apparel stores in very limited stock.  
[close]

Judging from your attempt at humour, it must be 2006 where you live.

• Rep: 12
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
This is severely depressing. AVE and Dill are so synonymous with Alien that the company will never be the same. I've loved Alien since I started skating and after everything the company has been through nothing has upset me more than this. I've been able to put up with Dyrdek but now I can't help but feel like this is all his fault and he is shooting his own company in the foot. He is abandoning the people who have helped build and support AWS as well as the people that have been actually buying their boards.

Rob is delusional and seriously believes that the decisions he makes are for the betterment of skateboarding. I wish Dill and AVE would have shook some sense into him and maybe thats what they tried to do, but I hate that it came to them leaving.

Also, I can't help but wonder how Heath feels about the way Rob is running things. I don't know why but I feel like he would have an interesting opinion now that he is not associated with Rob or Alien anymore.

KOOK

Hannity

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I wouldnt mind seeing dill and ave leave. they do seem to be a kind of a lynchpin for the team but i would like to see that initial scary moment happen to dna. then let the kids figure out what alien workshop should be. Dill/ave's perspective is cool but not necessary. Let em get on chocolate or girl or do their own company somewhere. And take dylan with you. I kinda want this generation of workshop to be built around gilbert jake and grant, they have the best philosophys in skateboarding right now. Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.
[close]

This makes sense, dont get me wrong i like Dill but im kinda tired of that Supreme shit he's got going on and all the cool kids riding alien boards. A company based around Gilbert, Jake,Grant and Ozar would be good.
yes, yes and yes!

MrMojoRising

• Rep: -23
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
Rumor has it that it's called Up River Skateboards
Hardy Har Har

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
Dill Tampons are too big and stretched my bung hole.  :'(
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
Dill Tampons are too big and stretched my bung hole.  :'(

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
Just re-hire Bo Turner, John Drake, and Neil Blender...Alien problem solved

Plus Dill was a jerk to me when he came over to my apartment in the mid-90's after a demo cause my roommate told him we could get him some good trees and got him some shitty Mexican weed.  I've held onto the pain for years now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:34:35 PM by spungo »
do more yoga!

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »

Plus Dill was a jerk to me when he came over to my apartment in the mid-90's after a demo cause my roommate told him we could get him some good trees and got him some shitty Mexican weed.  I've held onto the pain for years now.

That's fucking awesome. I hope it was extra seedy.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Shamalamalon

• Rep: -14
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 01:41:30 AM »

What, no Duane Pitre...?
[URL=http://s109.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Im 35 and I buy more skate product now than ever.
Old folks may not have the time like young kids, but we have jobs.
Oh Im riding an alien now... Jakes board.

[close]

I agree, I'm 28 and whenever I go to a skate shop I almost never leave with nothing unless the store has nothing in my size. I'll always pick up a pair of shoes, sometimes a deck if its one I wanna hold onto.

It's true. I'm 28 too. And most of my disposable income goes into skateboards, shoes and highwaters.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2013, 05:13:05 AM »
If my "Dylan Late Night Snuggle" Workshop?  pyjamas don't come in the mail soon I am going to kill somebody. True story.

did you go for the onsie version with the built in pointy shoe feet?