Author Topic: Non-skaters buying skate clothing are killing skateboarding?  (Read 12262 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Non-skaters buying skate clothing are killing skateboarding?
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
When I first started skating I was all like "fuck these posers" etc.

Then after a while I was like "let posers be, they bring lots of money into skateboarding".

Now, after a "stunning" revelation, I'm back to "fuck these posers". Turns out, they do bring lots of money into skateshops while diminishing the precentage of profit actual skateboarders generate. Therefore skateshops/distributors haven't any motivation to finance skateparks, contests, riders (proprely at least, we're talking real money here).

INDUSTRY LURKERS READ THIS: Sponsoring teenage girls would do wonders for your sales. They should of course be chosen by the number FB freinds they have and the avreage number of likes their profile pictures get if your product is clearly visible.

/rant

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
Re: Non-skaters buying skate clothing are killing skateboarding?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »
I wonder if basketball players feel the same way when I buy a Garnett jersey, but don't actually play ball more than once or twice a year.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »
Skateboarding's not dying, it's just embarrassed as fuck.

KPCT

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »

Hey, you gotta respect him for at least dropping in and putting in the effort to skate.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Eon

• Rep: -9
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »
why don't i have a signature mold of my dong available for women to pleasure themselves with yet? wheres that sponsorship? it's all these gutdamm posers buyin shit at pac sun. if anything institute a policy in your skateshops that only after purchasing a hard goods first you can than purchase soft goods. buy 5 decks and get a indy hoodie. even if you don't skate, just cut em up and make one of these chairs.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »
without those people your local skateshop would be out of business in a minute.
it's not a bad thing, such people tend to buy more mainstream gear (like dc, element,...) anyway.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
OH NOES....... SKATEBOARDING IS IN TROUBLE!!!!! WHATEVER WILL WE DO?!?!?!?

i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

HURRY! TO THE SLAP CAVE!

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

Jupiter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54

bandini

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
without those people your local skateshop would be out of business in a minute.

True. I know for a fact that without non-skaters, my local shop would have closed years ago. The owner as told me several times that the actual skate product barely generates any income at all.

Still, I can't say it matters that much in the end. When I started skating there were probably 5 pros on the planet who were actually making a living at it. Contests were held in parking lots with a couple hundred people and prize money was a hundred bucks and some cheesy trophy. There weren't a zillion choices as far as product, accessories, etc. There were 2 magazines and like 3 videos out. No skateparks and no TV coverage.

And guess what? Skateboarding was still fun. If the industry shrinks back down to the size it was in 1985, and nobody's making money off it anymore, I couldn't give less of a shit.

foureyedjim

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »
Operation Repo - MATT VS. THE SKATEBOARDERS

lolololol

Short ripped dude with the curly hair totally gives it away.  fake fake fake fake

yallsonsmonkey

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »
good thing that non-skaters bring to the table is their money... they allow someone like friends or myself to continue to get stuff for free... problem is its very hard for skate companies to get correct market research values...often what "kills" companies is they step up production thinking that they are going to continue to have a growing customer base, when in actuality if they would have kept production lower and wouldnt hire extra staff they would be able to not only survie but prosper for a much longer duration of time.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »

I'm stoked that he is skating a 5boro deck.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
While it is lame that a lot of the people who used to make fun of skaters are now wearing skate brands, at least they're bringing in money to support the companies.  More people wear shirts, shoes and pants/shorts than buy hard goods and the profits are higher.

I don't see it as any different then those fat guys you'd see at the sports bar wearing their favorite baseball, football, basketball or hockey jerseys.  It's just odd that skateboarding has people interested in it or repping it that don't skate now since that's how it used to be.

Definitely strange to know that most ppl who actually skate are more likely to not be wearing skate brands, unless they get the "bro hookup", are sponsored or got money to burn.  Makes it a little more difficult to separate the skaters from the wannabees since all the sneakerheads are wearing stuff like Diamond, DGK, Nike SB and Vans and all the mall kids are wearing Element, DC. Spitfire and Indy.

I'd rather they support a skate company so they can pay their riders instead of some douchebag brand like A&F or Hollister but it'd be even sicker if they got off the couch and actually skated.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »
you guys are missing the point: they do bring in a loooot of money, but shops or ditributers aren't interested in giving money back into the skate community, because that would not affect their sales

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
HURRY! TO THE SLAP CAVE!
[close]

slap needs a mascot super hero who claims to be the savior of skateboarding like steve berra but isn't as oblivious as steve berra. ? and isn't a scientologist. ? and has a cape.

someone get on designing that.

edit: maybe a dick with a dick on its forehead and some half cabs. ? a kitten side kick. ? rainbow colored cape.

edit 2: or a cartoon materialized version of rawb riding a giant bantam that shits out dicks with shit stains on them... and has a cape.

edit 3: or a black guy that does nollie heel noseslides but wears a reagan mask and can shoot dick beams out his eyes and is wearing a cape.

What about the anti-Berra?  Basically just berra with some devil horns sticking out of a low card hat and the floating heads of Fred Gall and Bobby Puleo whispering sweet nothings into his ear on opposite sides posesssing his every thought with urges of hate and heineken.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
HURRY! TO THE SLAP CAVE!
[close]

slap needs a mascot super hero who claims to be the savior of skateboarding like steve berra but isn't as oblivious as steve berra. ? and isn't a scientologist. ? and has a cape.

edit: maybe a dick with a dick on its forehead and some half cabs. ? a kitten side kick. ? rainbow colored cape.

edit 2: or a cartoon materialized version of rawb riding a giant bantam that shits out dicks with shit stains on them... and has a cape.

edit 3: or a black guy that does nollie heel noseslides but wears a reagan mask and can shoot dick beams out his eyes and is wearing a cape.
[close]

What about the anti-Berra?  Basically just berra with some devil horns sticking out of a low card hat and the floating heads of Fred Gall and Bobby Puleo whispering sweet nothings into his ear on opposite sides posesssing his every thought with urges of hate and heineken.
nah, i'd make it a proper dick behind a computer wearing half cabs and highwater pants, stuffing a woman with hard boiled eggs, while bitching about everyone fitting on krooked except berra.
anyway, no matter what it becomes, it should be wearing a cape and a crown.

slap is the new big brother.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
it also must have the ability to blast water out of it's finger tips.
it could as well speak klingon and or vulcan.
and it should have tattoos with his own name all over it's body just like this dude

it could have an old scientist sidekick like Q from james bond developing secret weapons and gadgets.
and a skateboard guru, yoda style sidekick, named animal chin, looking like nate sherwood.
i know it's a cheesy one, but "SLAPMAN" might be a good name, and to be honest it was pretty hard to come up with this one .
also "SLAPINATOR" is sick. or "SLAPPY" just to make it sound fun for the kids, and to have a reminescence to red painted curbs for the older guys.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:29:51 PM by pica »

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
 Guys who look like skaters get pussy while real skaters skate and masturbate.

Well fuck me i shouldnt have started skateboarding, i should only wear their gear. Now i am addicted to it and chicks consider me a nerd and ditch me.

cat litter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »
It is funny though how any random person can get away wearing Jordans or any baseball/hockey/basketball/soccer/football jersey and not get called out on it.

Will skateboarding eventually evolve to the point where people who dont skate can enjoy watching it, or does that only work with a team to root for? How many people would buy a Ladd jersey ha

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
here is what happens:
1. tons more money is coming into the industry as a whole. the popular and big companies strive while the smaller companies tend to suffer because once those big companies get big, they lose a little bit of their skate market to the huge companies (ie: lakai ready to go under because Nike and Vans are the most popular to skate in).
2. during this boom, irresponsible skateboarders who generally are not well trained in saving/handling money are getting bigger and bigger paychecks (again, smaller guys not so much, but the bigger guys are getting even more). this means more squirt guns and fireworks on tour, not a retirement fund or savings account.
3. skateboarding goes from the most popular thing on earth back to whatever it was before. the guys and companies who had a year or two of huge budgets are back to their pre-boom budget. they are basically fucking themselves.

i see this happen SO much, whether it be Active opening and then closing 100 stores, or smaller shops doing 3-4 of them in one state. people are seeing the money and thinking of skateboarding like they would a "normal" business where the model is growth every year. skateboarding companies need to accept that they are going to plateau and when they are doing good and having a boom, SAVE THE FUCKING MONEY for when things go back to normal and you cant pay guys like Zered to promote you (for example)

maybe im completely wrong but ive seen this happen over and over and over and over. Nike SB isnt putting shops out of business, shops see those nike checks and go overboard on shit thinking that they're going to grow forever. keep things relatively small and you'll be fine.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »

Will skateboarding eventually evolve to the point where people who dont skate can enjoy watching it, or does that only work with a team to root for? How many people would buy a Ladd jersey ha

I think the main hurdle to people who don't skate watching skateboarding is they don't realize how difficult it is.  If you never skated and only see pros, everything looks so easy. 

There are plenty of super popular individual sports with no team to root for- golf, tennis, NASCAR, F1, UFC, etc.

RRRRRAD

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
i could give a fuck less about them buying and wearing skate clothing.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
i remember back in middle school (and im only 21) if you saw another dude with some skategear, that dude either rode, or atleast had some interest in the skating, and you probably had a friend. i do admit i miss that

but whatever...i never owned much "skate clothing" anyway, hoes didn't go for that shit

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
i feel weird if im not wearing a skate logo shirt. Even though i see all the faux hawk wearing cock-douches wearing skate brands, i still feel like im 12 and in my secret little fight club thingy.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

superslopp

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »
you guys are missing the point: they do bring in a loooot of money, but shops or ditributers aren't interested in giving money back into the skate community, because that would not affect their sales

this is happening at my local shop. the owner stopped giving his employees discounts on product because he doesn't give a fuck about his riders or skateboarding in general, so everyone quit. in their place, he hired some weird friend of his who doesn't skate, some 15 year old girl who doesn't skate, and some 15 year old kid who kinda skates. not many skaters that i know shop there anymore, and i would bet that at least 95 percent of their income now comes from non-skaters. i guess it's cool that the dude's gonna keep his paycheck, but as far as i'm concerned, fuck that place.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
HURRY! TO THE SLAP CAVE!
[close]

[close]

that would be hilarious. put it on the standard pinwheel looking meme background (in shades of hellfire reds, of course) and have fred and bobby saying things like "come on. the ground's not that rough." or "no flatbar to save you here, steve." i dunno. it seemed funny in my head.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
skaters not buying skate clothing are killing skateboarding?

I guess, this sums up my situation.

zero clearance

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »

It's almost an "everybody needs to look out for themselves" environment right now. The skate shops have a priority to stay in business, and that's not easy when the economy is in such a rut. Blaming the economy can be a cop out, but businesses are shutting down left and right from lack of money. Borders books is about to disappear completely, for instance. I went to my local skate shop for the first time in years and they charge a fortune for basic clothing items, so I don't know why posers or skaters would shop there for clothes anyway. They didn't even have what I wanted.

Here's a question, do people that wear skater clothing even know it's made by a skate label? If they go to a mall and buy a shirt, they might just think that it's a random shirt that happens to say Element on it...for some reason. They might just think that Element is just a clothing label.

Here's another question. I haven't skated or cared much about the skate industry in many years. I'm probably going to give it a try again and I want to buy the Zero DVD set (Zero was my favorite team). I just ordered and received a Zero t-shirt. If I wear that shirt out, will I be a poser? Dun, dun, duuuunnnn. This is actually the first piece of skate clothing I've ever bought (other than a small Zero patch on an old denim vest). I also won't buy anymore skate clothing...

In the end, real skaters can still wear skate clothes from more obscure brands and non-skaters won't know what it is or they will be able to target you for being some wannabe rebel or whatever. If you're offended by the posers, then don't buy a Vans t-shirt or whatever the posers are wearing. Buy a Zero shirt or something else.

I don't skate anymore but I've re-watched some old skate vids. It's entertaining, so it's possible that people that don't or can't skate will still want to watch. The problem is when lame shows focus on skaters acting goofy instead of the actual sport. That does nothing to build interest in skateboarding. It's just another lame "reality" show.