Author Topic: Problem with my trucks  (Read 6743 times)

Archers of Chaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Problem with my trucks
« on: August 13, 2011, 05:02:02 AM »
Right now i got some indy 149s with the standard orange bushings. I usually like to ride my back truck a turn or two tighter than my front truck, but just yesterday my back truck got really loose out of nowhere. I checked it out and the nut on the kingpin hadnt come loose at all, yet it still felt looser than normal. I thought nothing of it and tightened my trucks a couple turns with a skate tool. After only ten minutes of skating the back truck starts to get loose again. I check the truck and its still cranked down, the nut is still tightened on and not coming loose, yet my back truck still keeps loosening up. No matter how much i tighten it, after like 10-20 minutes of skating it starts to feel loose again, even though the nut is still cranked down on the kingpin. Right now I have my back truck cranked down to pretty much as far as it'll go, yet it still feels loose after a bit. Has anyone experienced this problem before? If so how do I fix it?

Venetian Stairs

• Rep: 19
Re: Problem with my trucks
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »
Something's probably wrong with one of the bushings in your back truck. Maybe it split...
I would just swap out the stock bushings for aftermarket indy or some bones mediums.

Indy stock bushings are made out of low-grade rubber and are 88A. That's why they tend to get super soft and blow out.
The after market indy bushings(orange) are made from urethane and are 92A. They usually don't deteriorate as quick.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:30:44 AM by Venetian Stairs »

ollienorth

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:08:07 AM »
Something's probably wrong with one of the bushings in your back truck. Maybe it split...
I would just swap out the stock bushings for aftermarket indy or some bones mediums.

Indy stock bushings are made out of low-grade rubber and are 88A. That's why they tend to get super soft and blow out.
The after market indy bushings(orange) are made from urethane and are 92A. They usually don't deteriorate as quick.

This, but i'd recommend bones bushings instead.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
I didn't know that aftermarket Indy bushings are different from the stock ones. But Bones bushings should outlast your trucks so they are well worth the money.

Although, some people on the forum have been complaining that the quality of Bones has gone done now...
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

muk_mb

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
Yeah, just get some new bushings. Like Bones bushings.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »
Stock orange Indy bushing are awesome until they fall apart like that unexpectedly like you described.  Usually happens right after you got them broken in nice too.

Just save yourself the trouble next time and put Bones or some other bushing in the trucks from the beginning.  No sense having to break in your trucks twice.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:45:26 PM »
I could be some threading issue.  Take it apart and check out everything.  Bones bushings are the ONLY aftermarket bushings I buy and reccomend.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Jonorhea

• Rep: -5
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »
i just bought those new koston indy's because the shop i was at didn't have standard 139's and these trucks are fucking bullshit. Apparently they're lower than the standards and they just feel fucking stupid no matter what bushings I use. Anyone know where I can get a pair of 139 standards for cheap?

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
i just bought those new koston indy's because the shop i was at didn't have standard 139's and these trucks are fucking bullshit. Apparently they're lower than the standards and they just feel fucking stupid no matter what bushings I use. Anyone know where I can get a pair of 139 standards for cheap?

They're 1.5mm lower because of thinner forged baseplate. Axle placement hasn't changed, and there's no hanger or geometry changes. Either a 1.5mm riser or swapping in some old Indy baseplates (with "USA" on the bottom) should solve your problem.

Jonorhea

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're 1.5mm lower because of thinner forged baseplate. Axle placement hasn't changed, and there's no hanger or geometry changes. Either a 1.5mm riser or swapping in some old Indy baseplates (with "USA" on the bottom) should solve your problem.
wow nevermind. i was skating the stage 10 139 forged trucks before so they're the same height i guess. i'm gonna switch out the pivot cups and see what that does.

Archers of Chaka

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:04 AM »
THE CRISIS IS OVER.
I checked out my back bushings after reading some of the replies to this thread and it turns out the top bushing was split in half right down the middle, I couldn't see the split because it was facing the inside of the hangar. I put in a set of barely used indy bushings I got from a friend and now they don't go super loose anymore and actually maintain their tightness. Now I just have to go through the trouble of re-breaking in my back truck again, which is a whole new hassle of its own.... Why must bushings be such a pain in the ass to break in? Tsk tsk.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:31 AM »
Why must bushings be such a pain in the ass to break in? Tsk tsk.

Because you don't use Bones Hardcores.

Archers of Chaka

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »
Looks like im gonna have to now, the bottom bushing on my front truck just split in half today. Why must Indy bushings be so easy to split apart?

Gonna try to pick up a set of the soft bones bushings in the next couple of days. For ten dollars though they better be the shit...

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:45:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Looks like im gonna have to now, the bottom bushing on my front truck just split in half today. Why must Indy bushings be so easy to split apart?

Gonna try to pick up a set of the soft bones bushings in the next couple of days. For ten dollars though they better be the shit...
i had the same thought, but was pleasantly surprised. pretty much no break-in period, and they turn reeeeeal nice. my blue's prolapsed really quick, but I got some yellow's and they're holding up nicely.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 05:39:54 AM »
I'd get the yellow (medium) ones rather than blue (soft).. the blues i had died really fast...

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »
I'd get the yellow (medium) ones rather than blue (soft).. the blues i had died really fast...

this

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
always go yellow with bones

black/blue will dissappoint

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
I've had the opposite problem with stock Indy bushings. They last years and years and take too long to break in. Then again, maybe the quality has gone down since I'm still using pre-Stage 9 bushings.

There's another thread on Bones Bushings--I wouldn't recommend them. I'm riding a black medium set and after one month they are already shredded up and are lopsided, hence my trucks lean to one side.

Archers of Chaka

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »
Just got a set of the yellow mediums today.
One thing that i thought was kinda weird was that the bottom bushings were pretty hard to get onto the truck. I had a hard time sliding it down the kingpin, I had to force it down the kingpin. At first i thought that the holes in the bushings were too small and wouldnt fit on the kingpin, but i eventually got em on there.

Also, when i was tightening the nut on one of my trucks trying to find the right tightness I heard a crack, I looked at the bushings and it looked like everything was ok, hopefully it wasnt the plastic piece cracking or anything. I didnt even crank em down that much or anything.

Other than that though, I have to say that they feel really good. It gives the trucks a real snappy turn, which i like. Not too loose, but not too tight.

Jonorhea

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 05:22:12 AM »
i've concurred this shit definitely not a problem with my bushings nor is it even about the turning in this truck. These trucks are too fucking light. It's like when i ride around the heaviest part of my board is not my trucks, it's my deck. I just feel way off even trying to ollie.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 05:59:02 AM »
These trucks are too fucking light.

thats fucking regular

Jonorhea

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thats fucking regular
seriously, the weight distribution of my skateboard is so off. i feel like i'm hovering at all times. Standard trucks just feel solid and you can skate it normally. With this i have to act like a pussy when i kickflip and barely flick so that it doesn't double flip.

Jonorhea

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:04 AM »
when i was 12 these trucks would be the shit or if i was really small but now they suck. I'm selling them to this kid for 40 though so it's no  big deal.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thats fucking regular
[close]
seriously, the weight distribution of my skateboard is so off. i feel like i'm hovering at all times. Standard trucks just feel solid and you can skate it normally. With this i have to act like a pussy when i kickflip and barely flick so that it doesn't double flip.

surley thats a good thing, not having to put in as much effort to do a trick?

Jonorhea

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thats fucking regular
[close]
[close]

yeah but than they just flop you know what i'm saying. I can't just do a proper kickflip and it's not like you even put effort into kickflipping anyways, it just happens. But than with this I actually have to put effort into less flicking.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thats fucking regular
[close]
[close]

[close]
yeah but than they just flop you know what i'm saying. I can't just do a proper kickflip and it's not like you even put effort into kickflipping anyways, it just happens. But than with this I actually have to put effort into less flicking.
Is English your second language or something? Your sentences/arguments barely make sense. I lol'd at you complaining about your trucks being too light, never heard that complaint before.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Cold Pizza

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thats fucking regular
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Is English your second language or something? Your sentences/arguments barely make sense. I lol'd at you complaining about your trucks being too light, never heard that complaint before.

I agree, it is hysterically funny (enough so to laugh out loud) that your idea of a comfortable skateboard is different than mine.  Also, please type all internet opinions on SLAP message board under MLA formatting please, so that everyone can read your posts at an academic standard.

Damn, this place is full of fucking morons.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thats fucking regular
[close]
[close]

[close]

Anyone who's ever gone from a board with a super flat concave to one with a lot of concave should be able to relate.  Weird feeling trying to get kickflips back when you have to hold back on the flick after being used to having to scrape the hell out of them.

Sort of understand about the "too light" bit also.  Rode a board that had Ti-Lites on them and it felt like a toy.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:54 AM »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »
HAHA yes!!