Author Topic: Is there any way to change the durometer of wheels?  (Read 1712 times)

Archers of Chaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Is there any way to change the durometer of wheels?
« on: August 19, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »
I got a set of 100A wheels and i was wondering if it was possible to make em permanently softer? Maybe expose them to extreme heat, or run over em with a lighter for a while. Would that work? I need some wheels for a cruiser and thought that maybe i could possibly save money in the process by making a set of wheels i already have softer.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
Re: Is there any way to change the durometer of wheels?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »
Not sure how well this works, but..

1. Throw em in a ziplock bag with a wet sponge, or even a decent-sized piece of citrus fruit if you don't have a sponge lying around. Anything solid with high water content, basically.

2. Zap em in the microwave on defrost (not full-power! important!) for 5 minutes or so. That'll open up the urethane to moisture, basically.

3. As soon as they're done, throw em in the freezer for a few hours. Take em out and they should be noticeably softer.

You had the right idea with the extreme heat, but they basically need to be steamed or else they'll just melt rather than getting softer.

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »

1. Throw em in a ziplock bag with a wet sponge, or even a decent-sized piece of citrus fruit if you don't have a sponge lying around. Anything solid with high water content, basically.

2. Zap em in the microwave on defrost (not full-power! important!) for 5 minutes or so. That'll open up the urethane to moisture, basically.

3. As soon as they're done, throw em in the freezer for a few hours. Take em out and they should be noticeably softer.

You had the right idea with the extreme heat, but they basically need to be steamed or else they'll just melt rather than getting softer.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:02:30 AM by able »
ableSkateMag.com

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
I soak them in Metamucil.

Softens 'em right up!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »

svilleantigo

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:37 AM »
I soak them in Metamucil.

Softens 'em right up!

I google image searched Metamucil and got this.

Citrus wedge and plastic bag > your rapist fiber tincture

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
Funny you should mention fruit, because you know what they say - "fruit in the gear, fruit in the rear"!

So very ironic!

svilleantigo

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »
Funny you should mention fruit, because you know what they say - "fruit in the gear, fruit in the rear"!

So very ironic!

Well now, sounds like someone's been wasting all their Metamucil on their wheels. Might I suggest an All-Bran bar and a set of ATFs?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
about making them harder?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down