Author Topic: rolled ankle?  (Read 13718 times)

gaunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
rolled ankle?
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
so about two weeks ago, i was skating with some friends and was warming up ollieing the ten stair, after i had that i went for a frontside shuvit, i kicked a few away and then got the feeling but wasant completley confident, well, the one i did stick my front foot slipped off and rolled really fucking bad, couldant walk had to have my freind help me into the car, it started swelling up and turned black and blue for a few days, i know i did'nt break it or anything, but it hurt like shit, i've stayed off of it so it will heal, i was just wondering, how long does a rolled ankle usually take to heal? i;ve never really hurt myslef in 11 years of skating, i tried to skate yesterday, but it hurt too damn bad. I was reading about the ice baths idk, does anyone have suggestions? similar experiences? i really want to skate and can't take much more of sitting on my ass!
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

metamachine

• Rep: 9
Re: rolled ankle?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
so about two weeks ago, i was skating with some friends and was warming up ollieing the ten stair, after i had that i went for a frontside shuvit, i kicked a few away and then got the feeling but wasant completley confident, well, the one i did stick my front foot slipped off and rolled really fucking bad, couldant walk had to have my freind help me into the car, it started swelling up and turned black and blue for a few days, i know i did'nt break it or anything, but it hurt like shit, i've stayed off of it so it will heal, i was just wondering, how long does a rolled ankle usually take to heal? i;ve never really hurt myslef in 11 years of skating, i tried to skate yesterday, but it hurt too damn bad. I was reading about the ice baths idk, does anyone have suggestions? similar experiences? i really want to skate and can't take much more of sitting on my ass!

rolled my ankle myself a couple of weeks ago but luckly its only a minor injury.  in my experience it can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on how bad it is. yours sounds pretty bad but theres no saying how long it will take without actually going to a doctor.  after these two weeks  i take it the swelling is almost gone and your atleast able to walk without pain right? if not you should really get some help.

oh and skating before healing up will only increase your downtime, even just transition without any impact still puts a lot of stress on the ankle in my experience
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:22:38 PM by metamachine »
metamachine.blogspot.com

bandini

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
Warming up by ollieing a 10 stair?:)

Anyway, don't do shit until the swelling and discoloration goes away. Keep it elevated, stay off it, ice it.

Once it returns to normal size, start doing the alphabet thing (spell out the whole alphabet with your toe - helps get the motion and strength back).

If you really rolled it bad you'll be out for at least a month or two. It sucks for sure, but just chill and play some video games & you'll appreciate skating even more once you're back...

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »

vand for the rest of it do some physiotherapy

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

rolled my ankle myself a couple of weeks ago but luckly its only a minor injury.?  in my experience it can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on how bad it is. yours sounds pretty bad but theres no saying how long it will take without actually going to a doctor.?  after these two weeks?  i take it the swelling is almost gone and your atleast able to walk without pain right? if not you should really get some help.

oh and skating before healing up will only increase your downtime, even just transition without any impact still puts a lot of stress on the ankle in my experience

yea, it's not black and blue and i can walk just fine, i just went outside and did a kickflip on flat ground, and was in terrible pain, looks like it's gonna be longer.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

metamachine

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
rolled my ankle myself a couple of weeks ago but luckly its only a minor injury.?  in my experience it can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on how bad it is. yours sounds pretty bad but theres no saying how long it will take without actually going to a doctor.?  after these two weeks?  i take it the swelling is almost gone and your atleast able to walk without pain right? if not you should really get some help.

[close]

yea, it's not black and blue and i can walk just fine, i just went outside and did a kickflip on flat ground, and was in terrible pain, looks like it's gonna be longer.

damn man! sounds like your out for atleast a month more.
on the bright side, you can now spend more money on booze instead of new wood and brush up on your lurkerskills. both are essential in life.
best of luck!
metamachine.blogspot.com

DeerTay

• Rep: -5

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
dont wanna bum you out but you really need to chill. from personal experience of many a rolled ankle you need to rest it for atleast a month before thinking about skateing again. let the swelling and bruising go then get a tennis ball or squash ball under your bare foot and just roll it back and forth so your foot is supported but still get used. after a while of this rather relaxed workout and having walked on it for a bit stand on the edge of a step on your toes and slowly lower your foot so the heel is lower than the toes on the step. do this loads. you need to rebuild the ligaments and muscles in your ankle. ive rolled my ankle more times than i like to think about and my front foot has never been the same since i did it the first time and thought it was cool to go skate a fortnight after i did it and rolled it again, off my board for 6 months. patience is whats gonna heal you

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:18 AM »
dont wanna bum you out but you really need to chill. from personal experience of many a rolled ankle you need to rest it for atleast a month before thinking about skateing again. let the swelling and bruising go then get a tennis ball or squash ball under your bare foot and just roll it back and forth so your foot is supported but still get used. after a while of this rather relaxed workout and having walked on it for a bit stand on the edge of a step on your toes and slowly lower your foot so the heel is lower than the toes on the step. do this loads. you need to rebuild the ligaments and muscles in your ankle. ive rolled my ankle more times than i like to think about and my front foot has never been the same since i did it the first time and thought it was cool to go skate a fortnight after i did it and rolled it again, off my board for 6 months. patience is whats gonna heal you
Really good advice.  Also, on a tile or wood floor, you can put a large can of soup on a towel and pull it toward you using only your toes.  It helps to strengthen the ligaments, muscles, and tendons in your ankle.  The alphabet technique mentioned earlier is really effective as well.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I had a similar thing happening to me. Rolled THE FUCK out of my foot, really bad but did not break. Listen to people above and DONT flip with that foot for a month. The more you stress it, the worse it gets and prolongs the suffering. Do not skate it, you will only strech the muscles and nullify the healing process. It took me ten weeks to be able to flip with damaged foot and I entered the world of pain every time.

Apperently when you break a bone it gets stronger at the broken point. Injured ligaments get weaker where you tear it so be careful and again, do not stress the healing time. RICE; rest, ice, something, elevate! Tight bandages help to keep it in place. Good luck buddy!

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I had a similar thing happening to me. Rolled THE FUCK out of my foot, really bad but did not break. Listen to people above and DONT flip with that foot for a month. The more you stress it, the worse it gets and prolongs the suffering. Do not skate it, you will only strech the muscles and nullify the healing process. It took me ten weeks to be able to flip with damaged foot and I entered the world of pain every time.

Apperently when you break a bone it gets stronger at the broken point. Injured ligaments get weaker where you tear it so be careful and again, do not stress the healing time. RICE; rest, ice, compression?, elevate! Tight bandages help to keep it in place. Good luck buddy!

clamy

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 05:34:36 AM »
Instead of just icing it, ice then hot water. Each for like a minute, do this several times a day. This well help blood flow and get rid of swelling. Although, it's only useful in the first 72 hours. Other than that, massage it with castor oil, massage upwards, get that shit out of there. When you start getting movement and stability back start doing circles, both clockwise and anti clockwise. Calf raises will strengthen it, too.

metamachine

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
a lot of helpfull advice in here, why doesnt slap have its own medical section/faq? (may be i just missed it)

edit: yup i missed it
metamachine.blogspot.com

clamy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
I just rolled my fuckin' bad ankle today, on a five stair, fuck.

Peter Morgan

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »
Take rest because it could be sprained ankle can damage a lot.The usual treatments are ice, compression and elevation. Stay off your foot as much as possible for a few days.Take the advice of your doctor.

grayham

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65
  • OMG TMI ;-)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
take like 5 months off and call it good
8===D ~~~~ O-:

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
Wrap it in a tensor bandage and eat some painkillers.  I'm sure this actually a terrible idea...but that's what I did last time.  My ankle still hurts.

Peyton Johnson

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »

i have such bad ankles.  i cant even count the number of times ive rolled my ankles.  ice it like 4 times a day for about 20 miuntes each time.  alos i try and stretch the muscles around your ankle.  hope it gets better bro

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
I wish I could warm up doing an ollie down a 10 stair.

skateohio

• Rep: 18
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
This has been a reoccurring problem of mine over the past couple months, and because I can only sit around rehab'n ankle(s) for like 2-3 weeks max, here's the solution Im currently resorting to http://etceteraproject.com/ankle_home.html

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
if anyone has chronic sprains and its all ligament damage, look into prolotherapy. it might be pretty costly in us but here in australia its only costing me $400 and its covered by my health insurance. well worth it if i can skate like before. it's pretty much the step before taking surgery, and usually after surgery things go wrong and its more fucked than before anyway. i've only had one session of prolo so far and its already feeling stronger, hopefully one day soon i won't have to refer to it as my "bad ankle".

Hmm I've never heard of it, but after looking it up it makes sense.  It seems like they just stab what ever hurts and that makes your body work better to repair the injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtEdOBb5PDc

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
Expand Quote
if anyone has chronic sprains and its all ligament damage, look into prolotherapy. it might be pretty costly in us but here in australia its only costing me $400 and its covered by my health insurance. well worth it if i can skate like before. it's pretty much the step before taking surgery, and usually after surgery things go wrong and its more fucked than before anyway. i've only had one session of prolo so far and its already feeling stronger, hopefully one day soon i won't have to refer to it as my "bad ankle".
[close]

Hmm I've never heard of it, but after looking it up it makes sense.  It seems like they just stab what ever hurts and that makes your body work better to repair the injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtEdOBb5PDc

maybe i'll save myself some money and just start stabbing my injured ankle myself.  thanks for the advice slap
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

jack2jack

• Rep: 3
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
This has been a reoccurring problem of mine over the past couple months, and because I can only sit around rehab'n ankle(s) for like 2-3 weeks max, here's the solution Im currently resorting to http://etceteraproject.com/ankle_home.html

I had an roled ankle. It causes torn ligaments and after 6 weeks of not detumescence the middle of the foot fully they have discovered  an type B Fracture via MRT.
Tommorow, its been a year and i can?t kickflip as well as before. But the ankle stabilizer helps to skate without pain.
A fortnight ago i have rolled my ankle again but nothing is broken or torn and i thinks because af the etcetera thing...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:50:54 AM by jack2jack »

skateohio

• Rep: 18
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »
yeah dude I stopped using it because I realized it's better to just be fully healed and not worried about fucking your shit up worse opposed to having half balance and mobility. Rehab is easy to accomplish with a medicine ball and time. I suggest a balance board and medicine ball, check out gilberts adventures w chris where he goes through his foot rehab routine it will give u a good idea of the proper way it's done. Basically just common sense after that making it apply to your specific injury. Good luck man, I've found the best solution to be better board/feet awareness and knowing how to fall rather than not to fall. Also stopped wearing cupsoles - may not make a difference for anyone else tho. It's been a few months since I've rolled an ankle and I'm so thankful for that. (knocks on wood)

Adventures With Chris: Gilbert Crockett - Part 4
@ 2:00
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:51:33 PM by skateohio »

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
Day 3 baby

video
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Damn, this thread bums me out. My whole last summer got fucked because of rolled ankles. First I rolled it, was out for about 5 weeks, then came back and it was too weak and it got fucked again, that took another month.

When getting back, do alot of exercising first, otherwise it'll just hurt you in the long run. This was probably said earlier in the thread but im not reading all this shit.

And now to why im writing this post. When trying to get back from a rolled ankle, I really suggest getting one of these:

It feels a little weird at first, but it really helps alot and you get used to the feeling of it quickly. 

carrot juice

• Rep: -7
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
^^^^^ this, use an ankle race for firt month or so when coming back, even if it feels pretty strong - stops it frm happening again quickly. also if it hurtsto flick just dont cos that wont help.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »
can you wear that thing with a sock?

catfish

• Rep: -2
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 01:48:43 AM »
my brother badly rolled his ankle (trying a pop shuv late flip in a game of skate, dirty bastard deserved it) and it swelled up like a tennis
ball and turned black. it took him about 2 months to be able to roll around and then another two weeks or so to be able to skate properly
my brother said you have to do a lot of stretches once your healed to help with the stiffness.

ShreddyKrueger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »
Day 3 baby

video

are you wearing a cowboy hat in this video?