Author Topic: Transworld Videos  (Read 5901 times)

Swithflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Transworld Videos
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
And Now was hot, like sauce

Yep.. I came here to say this. And Now was the last great TWS video. Malto and Trapasso parts was dope, good music and montages.

Modus
In Bloom
Time to Shine

Also: Bobby had the last TWS great part...the rest is pretty forgetable.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
I miss the 16mm montages

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i liked uno a bunch but it seems like shortly thereafter they started doing tacky editing tricks like rewinding the skater and putting him forward again like scratching a record. shit was awful and when i think of TWS editing that comes to mind. there have been some iconic parts but if i wanna see DGKalis skate i don't need him to go 'run, chill skate' or whatever every time. it's like interviews for people to illiterate to read the mag.
i love danny gonzales but his part is edited lame.
all hail cardiel but i watch his anti hero or spitfire before i watch his tws.
heath always looked good on their vids at least.
[close]

Ugh, the techno choppy edits were fucking terrible. When I watch the Staba and BA part I gotta mute it, and yea BA keeps getting "record scratched". Didn't Atiba make most of that shitty techno?
[close]
There was a slew of tracks that Atiba did,most were run through the credits though. Muskabeats and whatever Ty was into covered the electronica. Staba's section in Modus was done by Muska for example. Feedback had that sad ass Moby track! In some cases it worked,but its funny how over time the music changed as the director and filmers did. I think Tommy G and Ray Barbee also had their music in some of the Transworld vids.
[close]

Well, the rewound the skater when he’d do another trick on the same spot or 180 out.  Not ideal, but people were trying new stuff.

In retrospect, music not the best, but compared to what you had to listen to during a 411, this was the white album.

Master B might be a little scratch heavy, but Staba Son seems uncontroversial.
[close]
Yea the rewind stuff didnt really bother me because it became obvious when I started filming and editing that they were just filler to stay with the music beat/edit flow, although some parts had a lot of it haha.
411 used to crack me up with music choices,all over the place typically

To this day I would kill to see Danny Gonzales's kickflip melon down Wallenberg in regular motion. God his whole part was butchered.

Come to think of it Danny got fucked over a lot in his day, Mic beating his ass for one

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i liked uno a bunch but it seems like shortly thereafter they started doing tacky editing tricks like rewinding the skater and putting him forward again like scratching a record. shit was awful and when i think of TWS editing that comes to mind. there have been some iconic parts but if i wanna see DGKalis skate i don't need him to go 'run, chill skate' or whatever every time. it's like interviews for people to illiterate to read the mag.
[close]

Ugh, the techno choppy edits were fucking terrible. When I watch the Staba and BA part I gotta mute it, and yea BA keeps getting "record scratched". Didn't Atiba make most of that shitty techno?
[close]
There was a slew of tracks that Atiba did,most were run through the credits though. Muskabeats and whatever Ty was into covered the electronica. Staba's section in Modus was done by Muska for example. Feedback had that sad ass Moby track! In some cases it worked,but its funny how over time the music changed as the director and filmers did. I think Tommy G and Ray Barbee also had their music in some of the Transworld vids.
[close]

Well, the rewound the skater when he’d do another trick on the same spot or 180 out.  Not ideal, but people were trying new stuff.

In retrospect, music not the best, but compared to what you had to listen to during a 411, this was the white album.

[close]
Yea the rewind stuff didnt really bother me because it became obvious when I started filming and editing that they were just filler to stay with the music beat/edit flow, although some parts had a lot of it haha.
[close]

To this day I would kill to see Danny Gonzales's kickflip melon down Wallenberg in regular motion. God his whole part was butchered.

Come to think of it Danny got fucked over a lot in his day, Mic beating his ass for one
i don't think Danny got fucked over, that part was edited to hide the fact he had no footage, i assume from blowing his knee out, i broke it down one day and theres only 17 tricks in that part but it's disguised as a full part.

Joey Fatone

• Rep: -14
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »

MC3

• Rep: 127
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
Brad Cromer Outlier part is really cool, I can't seem to remember any of the rest in that video
(Cool Trick GIF)

billyerlife

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
They used to be a bar to reach for sure. Modus was amazing, and there were some high points videos after it but it definitely wasn't the same. The put Mark Gonzales in Cinematographer's Project so they pretty much cheated. Same deal with the one from Smolik in it. I'll watch the next one though, I was even thinking of subscribing, just to help them avoid being bought out by Borra.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »
Expand Quote
And Now was hot, like sauce
[close]

Yep.. I came here to say this. And Now was the last great TWS video. Malto and Trapasso parts was dope, good music and montages.

Modus
In Bloom
Time to Shine

Also: Bobby had the last TWS great part...the rest is pretty forgetable.

Bobby is amazing and his part was better than the rest of the video because it wasn't filmed by The Running Man.

nothingisspecial

• Rep: -53
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
Definitely agree thos TWS videos were fucking classics. Outliers was choice though, it had that feel and the HD was done proper as fuck. Too bad they went the VX route after ir.

Why did they do this? This makes no sense to me.

Going back VX has got to be one of the dumber business decisions TWS made ... it is a huge quality drop off...

Not to mention “The Running Man” 😂😂😂

I remember watching Tristan Funkhouser part in subsandwich and seriously wondering why the fuck the video was looking the way it was. They exported it out at like 60fps but that does NOT work for the NTSC format.

... Fucking confusing as hell... who made this decision and why??? I need fucking answers god damn it!

Ty Evans, Jon Holland, Jason hernandez, Greg Hunt produced Iconic videos and set the bar High as it should be ... gave those videos a name. We looked forward to them ALL YEAR LONG as other videos came and went..

And then fucking Chris Ray came in looking like a fucking Viagara commercial with that dumbass smile and just buttfucked everything those guys did into nothingness

And yeah now they hired this other guy with fucking dumbass ideas 💡

New Chris: how about instead of using these fucking amazing cameras with giant fisheyes and drones and sliders and stabilizers and getting creative... hear me out...

Transworld: ...

New Chris: how about we use technology similar to VHS and I’ll just run around with the camera and set the white balance way too warm?

Transworld: where will you point the fisheye?

New Chris Sucks: inside of thier assholes

Transworld: wen can u start

Ok I’m done venting but I’m fucking pissed. My childhood...

Someone on here mentioned that that was when they started following trends instead of setting them.

/thread

nevecampbell

• Rep: 6
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i don't think Danny got fucked over, that part was edited to hide the fact he had no footage, i assume from blowing his knee out, i broke it down one day and theres only 17 tricks in that part but it's disguised as a full part.

I wanna say the Kickflip melon is full speed in the credits of the video.
Don't Answer The Door, Don't Leave The House, Don't Answer The Phone, But Most Of All, Don't SCREAM.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
The format worked best for the time when the magazine and the videos were at their peak. They got a crew of people down to film a full part, get an interview in the magazine, maybe a cover, and they built momentum for the next one. Made sense to a pro's sponsors for them to work for that. As the magazine shrinks and people stop buying videos/magazines, that format is no longer sustainable. That plus the standard for a video is too high to reach year after year while they're trying to support a print magazine, website, etc. It seems like in the late 90s/early 2000s Transworld and Thrasher put their eggs into two baskets: video production (tws) and a clothing line (thrasher) and the internet made a clothing line much more profitable in the longer run because they don't have to adapt to every change in video player, camera preference, whatever other fucking thing.

Transworld has always made great videos with bad parts in them, and bad videos with great parts in them, and they're still surprisingly good year after year.