Author Topic: DTTF insoles  (Read 3472 times)

yobzobbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
DTTF insoles
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »
Any consensus with these? So far as it seems, the eS Edgar is the only shoe that actually offers this, (obviously unless I'm wrong)

http://stilab.com/technology/comfort/

When maximum board feel is desired by our professionals, they reach for shoes with Drop To The Floor ("DTTF") Pro insoles inside. By removing the midsole from the shoe and replacing it with a DTTF Pro insole, the foot is put even closer to a board for enhanced board feel and control. There are two levels of DTTF Pro:

DTTF Pro 1 is made of single density PU foam.

DTTF Pro 2 contains our new Double Down gel in the heel for added heel bruise protection.

Removing the midsole in the name of "board-feel" sounds insane. I mean, sure, it's nice being able to be a little more calculating with good amounts of board feel but this just sounds like the kind of shoe that'll wear away bald & beyond within a single week of skating. As well as the fact that I'm not buying the little gel circle on the heel as being able to totally absorb THAT much impact... I've already fucked w/ the squishy of squishies, Dr. Scholls, and my feet still felt pretty slammed a lot of the time.

But I could be totally wrong. Anyone have any experience w/ this stuff? Is there anyone that actually supports the idea of removing the mid-sole?

muk_mb

• Rep: -2
Re: DTTF insoles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
Also I think Sheckler's shoe, Malto 2's and some others. I have the Maltos, they're pretty good times.

yobzobbler

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
They hurt ever, tho? My experience w/ Vans - which I pretty much regard as the thinnest shoes I've at least ever owned - have not been happy ones. And even those have mid & top soles.... I really dig the look of the Edgars but the concept of near-zero protection is scaring the shit out of me

yobzobbler

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
at the same time, I've never owned shoes w/ gel inserts (aside from things I've put in myself) so it only makes me wonder whether eS is conscious of these kinda things, or is just sorta offering this shoe to a specific niche of skaters who really love board vibrations

muk_mb

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
The DTTF insole that they put in is thicker than a normal insole. So instead of insole+midsole, they just opted for an insole that's a little thinner than the usual insole+midsole. Koston's new shoe does similar. I don't jump stairs, but I run out from 8 feet up on tranny and they feel good if not better than my other shoes I've worn.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
The DTTF insole that they put in is thicker than a normal insole. So instead of insole+midsole, they just opted for an insole that's a little thinner than the usual insole+midsole. Koston's new shoe does similar. I don't jump stairs, but I run out from 8 feet up on tranny and they feel good if not better than my other shoes I've worn.
Yeah, the Kostons are very comfortable, nothing lacking as far as protection, there isn't a midsole just that awesome lunarfoam

jkorzo08

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, the Kostons are very comfortable, nothing lacking as far as protection, there isn't a midsole just that awesome lunarfoam

the kostons get it done for sure, i was so excited when those came out because i've had other nike shoes with lunar foam. when my first pair is done i'm keeping the insoles and putting them in other shoes. highly recommended

hekkahyphy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
the last theory shoe had these. the tread was barelly done and i went to go push and my foot went right thru and ripped a line thru the sole. i loved the shoes but this was a bummer...idk if i should shoe goo em or forget em

victor333

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »
They hurt ever, tho? My experience w/ Vans - which I pretty much regard as the thinnest shoes I've at least ever owned - have not been happy ones. And even those have mid & top soles.... I really dig the look of the Edgars but the concept of near-zero protection is scaring the shit out of me

Vans (chukka lows to be specific) have the least amount of protection out of any shoe I've ever worn. Some sole tech shoes I own: square two, First Blood, Edgar, Barge LS, Reynolds Cruisers. All of these shoes offer more protection than my chukka lows.

Those damn Vans feel archaic in comparison. The first day I got my chukkas, I went to go skate. I had the edge of the board land on the toe cap and I also landed primo...I said fuck that, and I never skated in them since.

I'm all for thin shoes, don't get me wrong. I only skate vulcs, low-profile shoes, thinly padded tongue and collar, with a nice pointy toe...But those damn Vans were TOO thin.

Basically, I'm just telling you that you don't have to worry about the insole not being up to snuff. It WILL take more impact/force than the Vans. In my opinion, shoes like the square two offer fantastic board-feel, while still being able to protect your feet relatively well

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Fuck breaking your feet.

Wear D3's

trannies and mannies

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
i had the edgars. the insole is nice, its a little on the thicker side but its a good balance of boardfeel and "protection". im definitly gonna re use the insole in other shoes.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
Just finished a second day of skating the Barci's that have these insoles.

I think they are really good.

jack2jack

• Rep: 3
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I skate the Barci?s for a month and a bit now and maybe a week or two are left.
But with the original insole i had bad problems with heel bruises so that i had bought some of the etcetera insoles an they are much better. No problems since then.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
bought three pairs of edgars at thirty bones each so far theyre tight without the insole in them  :(

victor333

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
bought three pairs of edgars at thirty bones each so far theyre tight without the insole in them  :(

There's a rubber layer in the toe cap which makes the shoe kinda stiff. Also, mine do fight tight around the forefoot area.

It's not really a problem to me cause I don't plan on skating them, but they do feel kind of awkward. I've heard nothing but good things about them, though, so I assume it'll get better once they're broken in

trannies and mannies

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »
the edgars feel like shit at first. the toe fit really tight and uncomfortable. after microwaving them a few times and wearing them around a little, they were good. and yes they are stiff as fuck in the beginning

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
if you get edgars half a size up they feel amazing right out of the box. i bought some more true to size and felt the uncomfortable toe and forefoot area for the first few times. the insoles are thick but good.

im skating some (edgars). they got the DTTF2 or whatever. you def need to break them in. they seem to fit more like gravis. really skinny width wise. they are tight at first. they are good now. but i would say still more stiff then some other vulcs. but the double wrap vulc, and full toe rubber. I'm gonna assume these are gonna take a bunch of skating to be all super soft.
but the insole is great. the flick is great, and i appreciate the extra toe protection!
they are sorta sweat boxes though. could improve the ventilation. but! since Es is done here in a month or so. that won't be addressed.
i have 2 pair already and might grab the burgandy canvas ones. with the rubber canvas should be a none issue.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
DTF Down To Fuck Insoles
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
DTF Down To Fuck Insoles

exactly what i was thinking

hekkahyphy

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Did the shoes in freezer trick...lovin these now