Author Topic: new skateboard technology  (Read 23519 times)

finknoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
Re: new skateboard technology
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »
the only "technology" i would consider buying for skating is insoles, like those lunarlon ones mmmmmmmm nice

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 07:08:03 AM »
Wood is good. Experimenting with shapes and what not is all cool, but I prefer good ol' plywood. Same with wheels. I don't want holes and crazy cores in my wheels, straight white urethane, and plain old metal Indy's. Keep it simple, it works just fine.

The Consolidated "black concave" was pretty sick, I had a couple and would buy another. Powerply is also cool. It feels good and is still just plywood.

If I saw a shape I liked and it happened to be P2 I would buy it, but for the shape, not the gimmick.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
Carbon nanotubes bro.
You loves you? Megatron.

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
I'm sure some technology has benefits but the effects are marginal and it depends on how good a skater you are, and what you skate (eg. Tensor trucks were designed by Rodney for al the technical shit he does.)

If you are just your average skater � like 99% of people who skate � standard 7ply, Indys and plain white urethane will sort you out. The rest is just down to you...

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »
i have a p2 board right now, been skating it for a few weeks now and it still feels great, i bought it cos i get discount on skate hardware where i work so thought it was worth a gamble.
I don't know about it giving you "spring loaded pop" but it does feel like a brand new board in a way that a newly broken in board doesn't.
Skateboards are skateboards, but as you all will agree not all boards are the same, a 20 quid complete board will come with a worse deck than if you were to buy a chocolate costing 50.
whatever
The "technology" boards I've tried have been DArkstar's armor ply's and Armor Lights and they were both great boards, cost the same as any other premium deck at the time and and when the armor light cracked, it took fuckin forever for it to actually snap, so i definitely noticed a difference in that.
Im planning on buying another p2 board after the current plan b I'm riding at the moment, simply because it doesn't cost me any more than a regular deck and it feels consistently great to skate and hasn't appeared to lose any of its pop
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »
Who needs technology. Tighten your trucks so you can ollie higher , do flip tricks and manuals better. Simple as that.

Skate Edge

• Rep: -36
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
Who needs technology. Tighten your trucks so you can ollie higher , do flip tricks and manuals better. Simple as that.

I would say loosen your trucks for better manuals.  It seems counterintuitive, but it worked for me.

BlackEye77

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would say loosen your trucks for better manuals.  It seems counterintuitive, but it worked for me.

I don't get how tight trucks help you ollie higher- practice, skill, and strong legs matter, not how tight your trucks are. Same deal with loose tricks and manuals, the only difference is that you ride stuff adjusted to what you're most comfortable with.

china white

• Rep: 5
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »
there is a difference with P2's. i wouldnt say they "give you pop" but the pop does last alot longer, meaning the tail doesnt get flimsy nearly as fast. theyre also considerably thinner & lighter. i didnt really notice it at first but when i went back to a regular 7ply that shit felt like a brick & had to get used to it. like i said they still dont get flimsy though. my last deck was a flip p2 & i skated that shit HARD (alotta road trips & high impact skating) and the middle lasted longer than my tail did so theyre pretty strong in that aspect as well

i know pretty much all those other gimmicks suck but P2's are the shit. i honestly hope they become the standard 4-5 years from now. the only reason im not on one now is because my local shop didnt have em yet :-\

Youngwilliam309, you definitely strike me as someone who is 4-5 years ahead of the curve in your market research and strategic purchasing practices. you even managed to outpace your local shop!  I am also dually impressed by your vast knowledge of "pretty much all those other gimmicks" that are lurking in the shadows.

Yes, Youngwilliam309 was generous enough to remind us that we really only have two options in life: 1) do not succumb to the fears and anxieties of every day existence, and hang on for the ride of your life!!! Or, 2) refuse to push the envelope, by refraining from buying envelope-pushing products like Flip P2 decks, and get left in the dust!  Don't say that you hadn't been warned...   

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 01:20:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't get how tight trucks help you ollie higher- practice, skill, and strong legs matter, not how tight your trucks are. Same deal with loose tricks and manuals, the only difference is that you ride stuff adjusted to what you're most comfortable with.

Basic geometry and physics. Science doesn't lie.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »
its my opinion that all the new skateboard technology  to give you more pop is bull shit. no one it is ever gonna work so give up! its horrible nothing is better then the good old 7ply hardwood

You gotta let these posts marinate in ol' duder's head for a little longer.  You're not starting a conversation or really saying anything meaningful in the least.  You're just posting the first thing that pops into your head.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
p2 decks
hemp plys
power plys
keystone techology
flip new wave
kevlar plys
douple impact technology

none of that hyper technology bullshit has ever worked better than a normal wooden skateboard. it's all just created to make the skaters (the consumers) buy more expensive bullshit.

that being said, end this terrible thread.

Just wanted to add: bonite (boneite?) -- the stuff Powell and Peralta tried out for a short time, that shit was awful.

lacadasicalfiringsquad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 11:44:29 PM »
The industry does;nt want you to know this, but if you drill holes in your deck- the circular shape of the holes reinforce the surface strength of the deck, like the more the better-- also your deck is lighter and the extra wind tunnels make your board easier to navigate- and it improves your performance considerably better.....

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
7 plys of wood with a sandpaper like sheet on top works just fine for me.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »
I don't think P2 is a gimmick, but having said that I only think it's noticeable to people that already have  a lot of board control. You can feel a difference, but it's not going to be the new standard or anything. All wood is the shizniz.

velocirapedher

• Rep: -13
  • Get fingered!
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
Quote from: daniel  link=topic=56229.msg1528140#msg1528140 date=1316132191
lib tech.

sk8_stuff

• Rep: -2
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
I won one of those Darkstar boards with the strip of shit down the middle of the top ply. I tried to trade it to the local shop, cause it was autographed by the whole team pretty much, but got shot down. So I said "fuck it" and set it up. So far it feels good and skates fine, but I can't tell any difference so far.
Think, it's not illegal yet. - Les Claypool

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »
I dont think all new technology shit is really bad or good or purposefully tryna milk kids...but if it costs more to produce it'll never be the standard...but from personal experiences and close observations,

Fiberlam (Almost) was a good idea with that metal shit in the mid ply from around the bolts area to the other bolts area to prevent pressure cracks, but didnt protect the tail or nose so if your not bolts on average and you skated stairs/drops alot it would probably have the same effect as any other board.

Anti flat spot (Bones) i saw a kid get flat spot right after setting up those wheels but he was in a powerslide contest of some sort an did like a 40/50ft powerslide multiple times, but anyone buying that shit should expect a flatspot even if they say it wont, its not possible to not flat spot at some point.

I dont know the name of the thing but Black label put out boards that had little dugouts under the wheels to prevent flatspots pretty solid idea i wonder if anyone tested that here and has input

FiftyScent

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »
P2's are the shit. theyre noticeably lighter, somewhat stronger, and keep their stiffness at least as twice as long as a regular deck. it still feels brand new for a bout a week. havent really tried anything else but i fucks with the P2's. definitely doesnt fall under the category of "gimmick" to me.

although if your a shitty driveway skater a regular board will do you just fine.

PFIASB.

• Formerly elmo
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
I have no plans of changing my 7 ply DLXSF board for some other shit
my cousin had a resin 8 impact when he was 18yr 190 pounds and it lasted 6x longer than my real and im 150
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »
Just wanted to add: bonite (boneite?) -- the stuff Powell and Peralta tried out for a short time, that shit was awful.
Haha, I actually have an inside scoop that pretty much validates the obvious... that shit was really thin cardboard slipped into plies, the whole "Xtra Tough" XT shit was just the marketing angle... George was actually making that shit because it was so cheap to produce. I never owned one because I saw what regular humidity down here did to them... horrible shit.

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
Just smoke weed

skateforfun

• Rep: -4
  • do anything for dethklok
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
I have no plans of changing my 7 ply DLXSF board for some other shit

Hooray for DLX. My last deck was a DLX shop, 8.2". I loved it, but I don't live in the city anymore, I'm down in Santa Cruz. I have a David Gravette Creature 8.2, and it rules, huge pop, nice and thick. I do kinda miss the DLX though. Something about DLXSF..... its magic  ;)

sixpackoftablets

• Rep: -24
  • salut les fuckheadz
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
posting in a little kids thread

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
oh my god, expedition innerlock system, anyone remembers that?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Bring back Bonite.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
 like the cliche keystone tech, doesn't stiffen up the board heel to toe and makes the board feel snappier. almost double impacts last me along time but are stiffffff. feel a little too different from a reg deck. keystone feels like a dlx deck does first day. p2s feel funny, make the deck ride smaller.
black label black holes were awesome. I ride 56s with lose trucks, anything to help with not getting wheel bite. didn't make the deck feel shitty too stiff or what ever. you still got wheel bite but it was alot less. skated 3 in a row. wish black labels didn't get shitty china wood.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
Fiberlam (Almost) was a good idea with that metal shit in the mid ply from around the bolts area to the other bolts area to prevent pressure cracks, but didnt protect the tail or nose so if your not bolts on average and you skated stairs/drops alot it would probably have the same effect as any other board.

Fiberlam is a Tumyeto construction. Almost is Impact Support/Double Impact/Uberlight.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »
I dont think all new technology shit is really bad or good or purposefully tryna milk kids...but if it costs more to produce it'll never be the standard...but from personal experiences and close observations,

Anti flat spot (Bones) i saw a kid get flat spot right after setting up those wheels but he was in a powerslide contest of some sort an did like a 40/50ft powerslide multiple times, but anyone buying that shit should expect a flatspot even if they say it wont, its not possible to not flat spot at some point.

I dont know the name of the thing but Black label put out boards that had little dugouts under the wheels to prevent flatspots pretty solid idea i wonder if anyone tested that here and has input

Most of the older dudes on here "tested" these... back in the 80's, when they were called "wheel wells". They don't do shit for flatspots. Flatspots are caused by sliding sideways, literally creating a flat spot. Wheel wells are intended to prevent "wheel bite". That's when your wheel touches your board and locks your shit up and bucks you off. These days, I imagine, kids just wax it up like Jaws.

One gimmick that has always bewildered me is the irony that is Shorty's "unbreakable" hardware. I've broken just about every set I've ever rode. How come the only bolts I break are the ones that are advertised as "unbreakable"? That's just flat out lying to the people!