Author Topic: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?  (Read 42232 times)

ivegotlevitation

got vibed by the dude at the counter when i went into Cowtown yesterday. i'd rather order online from liberty or whatever than deal with that.

sufodiv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
When the dude working doesn't saying anything to you about skating. Only "want to try on those shoes?" "want me to grab you a board?"

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
Its not a skateshop if they dont have Indys

Hofmo.Sean

• Rep: 0
seeing the word "Zumiez" in neon letters on top of it, also if it's in a mall.

Taylor Anthony

• Rep: -17
When the shop feels like a Boutique instead of friendly atmosphere where you're comfortable. Also employees who don't skate. Element is notorious for hiring people who don't and when they talk to about skating you want to punch them in the face! Plus, carrying super gay shit like vans that are purple, blue, green, and pink. No get that shit out. Plus a shit load of Vulc. Get at least one cupsole in stock.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
chicks that dont skate gripping my board with crazy scissors

aleksander

• Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I'm gonna give a huge shout out to Blue Tile in Columbia, SC.

My nephew is 7 and just got into skateboarding.  My mom told me about it and said she didn't want him riding some lame Wal-Mart board.  I told her to go to the local shop and ask for some help with his size.  I also told her to be prepared for the way local shops were (blow her off because she's in her 50s, not give a shit about a little kid) but that going local was always better.  My mom took Simon, my nephew, there right when they opened and dude was just cruising up.  He saw my nephew and said, "Are you waiting for me?!" and warmed right up.  He took my nephew around, showed him the whole shop, let him touch the boards and hold them etc.  Then he got him on a board that was good for his size, didn't rip my mom off with a bunch of bullshit that isn't going to have anything to do with a little dude's first board and sent them on their way.

That's a big deal to me- seeing how the shop dudes interact with the non-cool guys, the little dudes and the parents.

Yeah, that shit gets played and isn't cool, but remember, we all started somewhere.  I'd much rather my nephew start off with a good experience than getting blown off for a regular.

Now this is fucking rad. I'd have never thought how stoked a kid would be to get a little tour of everything - it must seem so mysterious. Really psyched to hear this.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

aleksander

• Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
It's really cool.  I'm not a local to Columbia, so I had no idea.  Really stoked on the whole experience.  People need to stop and think about how taking five minutes can totally effect the way a little dude starts skating and how an adult non-skater views skating.  My mom has fully backed my skating since I was 8, so she knew how it could go, but she said Simon couldn't have had a better time picking out his first board.

Now I just have to get him to stop lying to me about the tricks he can do.  The other day he told me he meant to do an ollie but "accidentally" did a 360 flip. 

Hahaha man I wish that would happen to me! For real though, glad to hear about the experience. First time I ever went in to a real skate shop I had my parents circling the block waiting for me to come out. I was so nervous I told the guy (Grant Taylor's dad) that I didn't need griptape. Luckily he sorted me out.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

Staun

• Rep: -5
I'm definitely not into small talk, but when it involves skating that totally changes. When the dudes appear uninterested in talking about skating that pisses me off. The people who work at Supreme NYC suck big time. At least the time I went and the times I've talked to them. The guy who runs Cardinal in Virginia Beach is super tight.  The people who work at Venue(Dominion) are usually too cool for school. Historically at least. Sean O Dell is tight though. I've been going there since i started in like 2002 and never once has the owner spoken to me at all.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
I'm definitely not into small talk, but when it involves skating that totally changes. When the dudes appear uninterested in talking about skating that pisses me off. The people who work at Supreme NYC suck big time. At least the time I went and the times I've talked to them. The guy who runs Cardinal in Virginia Beach is super tight.  The people who work at Venue(Dominion) are usually too cool for school. Historically at least. Sean O Dell is tight though. I've been going there since i started in like 2002 and never once has the owner spoken to me at all.
I'm not a hundred percent on this, but I do believe that's Kyle Berard's dad.

Expand Quote
It's really cool.  I'm not a local to Columbia, so I had no idea.  Really stoked on the whole experience.  People need to stop and think about how taking five minutes can totally effect the way a little dude starts skating and how an adult non-skater views skating.  My mom has fully backed my skating since I was 8, so she knew how it could go, but she said Simon couldn't have had a better time picking out his first board.

Now I just have to get him to stop lying to me about the tricks he can do.  The other day he told me he meant to do an ollie but "accidentally" did a 360 flip. 
[close]

Hahaha man I wish that would happen to me! For real though, glad to hear about the experience. First time I ever went in to a real skate shop I had my parents circling the block waiting for me to come out. I was so nervous I told the guy (Grant Taylor's dad) that I didn't need griptape. Luckily he sorted me out.
I'm not an ATL native but have family there and visit all the time, Stratosphere is definitely awesome.

BraveUlysses

Re: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
I gotta check out Cardinal some time soon. I don't think I've ever even seen it before which is strange since I've lived in VA my whole life. There are not too many core shops around the Hampton Roads part of VA except this one place called Skate Supply. I really like that shop and I've heard that some days they don't really get any customers which really sucks. I think it has something to do with the location of the shop. I can't really describe it but that shop is definitely not where everyone can see. Anyway I went to my local shop today and a chick who looked like she was around 18-20 was running the shop by herself. I thought that was pretty lame. 

the tranny monster

• Rep: -22
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
when you walk in and theirs that guy jacking off in the corner and then he vibes you for not jacking off in public (fuck that guy)

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
Shops that price their trucks individually. That's usually a good warning sign for me.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

chuvsta

i hate the longboards but unfortunately this is one of the best ways for our local shops to make money, all the rich college kids come in with daddy's credit card and blow 400 dollars on something they will never use! thanks for the money kook!

Margus

Pre-made completes and penny boards!

iorek88

Not being able to touch boards and fell them I went to a shop that told me i couldn't see the board unless I'm buying.

also check what skaters in your area are into i would like to open a shop and support smaller brands like Roger which is my favorite board company. Except i would be closed in months if i didn't carry stuff from baker boys distribution since it's the most popular brand in my small town.

The Donger

• Rep: -63
The lamest shit you can see when you walk into a core shop is seeing a woman working there. Save that shit for zumiez and vans stores.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
The lamest shit you can see when you walk into a core shop is seeing a woman working there. Save that shit for zumiez and vans stores.
I got a couple of smoking hot chicks in my shop and they both skate, they know there shit and can grip a board better than you. Just cos they got tits dont mean they cant out do most dudes on the skate chat.

The Donger

• Rep: -63
Expand Quote
[close]
I got a couple of smoking hot chicks in my shop and they both skate, they know there shit and can grip a board better than you. Just cos they got tits dont mean they cant out do most dudes on the skate chat.

Dude, thats awesome that you have hotties, who skate and know what the fuck they are talking about. I've always run into the exact opposite situation. Where's your shop and what's it called?

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
That's a big deal to me- seeing how the shop dudes interact with the non-cool guys, the little dudes and the parents.

This.  Sunday skate shop in Buffalo has always been really cool about it.  My mom bought me Bag of Suck for my birthday one year and there's no way she would have known to get it without a friendly dude in the shop.  Good job mom.

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
People who don't know shit about skateboarding
Went into this shop right after stay gold came out, asked the dude if they had stay gold. He just looked at me like a fucking person and said he didn't know what it was. Walked out and downloaded that shit

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Dude, thats awesome that you have hotties, who skate and know what the fuck they are talking about. I've always run into the exact opposite situation. Where's your shop and what's it called?
Aberdeen Scotland, one of them is about to blast off to France for the summer to surf and skate so im going to be down one. I have had shitty skateshop experience also so its easy to get it right, just depends if you can be arsed or are hungover

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
Polar boards, on a side and scooters on the other.

(and also magenta/palace/western edition, mixed with shitty plastic cruisers/longboards, beach cruisers and fixed gears..)
aka the "corest sell-out shop ever"

WHY?

Homeless Prostitute

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2012, 03:40:42 AM »
Definitely already been said, but
1. scooters
2. nothing over 8.25
3. not skater operated.

The main shop in my city is run by a stingy rollerblader.
The other two main guys that work there are cool though, they don't skate (much anymore) but still keep up on it and are able to talk about videos etc.
tiny knob mob

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »

why the fuck are you letting chicks grip your board in the first place?1 i really really grudge anyone else gripping my board let alone the standard teeny 'surf chick' thats inevitably works in any given skateshop

as far as the thread goes nothing that hasnt been said already to be honest..

as long as theres a good atmosphere in the shop i can easily look past questionable stock (longboards etc) IF the hardware is up to scratch, if they got a good selection of brands/sizes im stoked. Youre never gonna please every one but if you have as broad a spectrum as you can then your gonna be better off than you would be if you just aimed your shit at one demographic i.e- only stocking dlx thrasher and cons

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I think everyone pretty much already summed it up.
But my two biggest pet peeves are employees who have the "better than thou" attitude and employees who have little to no product knowledge at all. If you don't know the difference between a 139 and 149 truck, then why are you even working there?

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i know where you work dude... i wouldnt be throwing the word 'smoking' around that casually, haha i thought one of 'em was once but it turned out it was just the stench fog from sparkys armpits!

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
 Employees asking/saying "so you know what kinda brands you like?" or "we just got a bunch of great longboards in today".
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
Nobody above 14 should get another person to grip their board for them anyway. It's like getting a dude with a bigger dick to fuck your girlfriend for you but worst.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nobody above 14 should get another person to grip their board for them anyway. It's like getting a dude with a bigger dick to fuck your girlfriend for you but worst.

We can learn much from your wisdom, sir.