Author Topic: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?  (Read 42218 times)

Schismatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
Just doing a little market research. Like the subject line says, what are some of the factors that make you immediately like or dislike a skate shop? I'm personally pretty selective, maybe a little overboard, but I don't assume that everyone is like me so I'd like to hear some constructive feedback on what you think makes a shop great, just ok, or terrible and you wouldn't plan on going back. Thanks.

Rumpleforeskin

Re: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
No meth labs inside

WhackAsFuck

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
Big stacks of whack sunglasses/watches

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
The cool guy vibing gets old. The "skater girl" at the counter who has no idea what she's doing. Not having certain product in stock. I don't know, I don't even have a local shop.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
-Longboards (but these are in every shop so there is almost no avoiding it)
-Employees who clearly don't skate. Especially teeny-bopper high school girls.
-A weak skate video display - I know dvds don't sell but I buy them. I want to see some independent videos in the case (DLXSF is the best for this).

edit: the guy above me hadn't posted when I started writing my post, but I REALLY agree - cool guy vibe is not acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:35:45 PM by happenstance »

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »

-A weak skate video display - I know dvds don't sell but I buy them. I want to see some independent videos in the case (DLXSF is the best for this).

edit: the guy above me hadn't posted when I started writing my post, but I REALLY agree - cool guy vibe is not acceptable.

truth.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
A lack of complementary blowjobs is such a bummer.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

truth.

The longboard thing, as long as it's hidden or put in the back corner I don't mind. I used to, but unfortunately those things bring in a lot of money to shops, and--truth be told--longboarding can be really gnarly if done right.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Of course the "cool guy" vibe is weak. Even if it's shop team hanging around, they should represent the shop in a positive way. Thanks for bringing up the independent videos and DLXSF, both good points. They always treated me great whereas going into a place like Skates On Haight and they just weren't personable. Not trying to talk bad about them, maybe I just went at the wrong day/time. About the videos, we all know that YouTube destroyed the skate video market and when videos don't sell, you have no choice but to put them on clearance to try and recoup the cost just to buy more videos that probably won't sell either. However, the indie videos are a different story and don't usually become outdated, so that's terrific feedback.

Also agree about the watches and sunglasses. A little is one thing, but when skateboard hardware inventory is dwarfed by other crap then it doesn't have the same vibe.

The longboards I don't necessarily agree with. As long as there's a good selection of real skate gear, then they don't bother me. It's not as if they're rollerblades, it's really just a bigger skateboard and I see the appeal of going super fast and carving, but I choose to do it on a normal board. Same with snowboarding, I'm not into it but don't mind seeing it. Another factor is that the profit margins on a lot of skateboard stuff isn't very much so the other stuff can help keep you in business.

Thanks again and keep the peeves coming. Also curious about what kinds of things make you really like a shop.

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

truth.
[close]

The longboard thing, as long as it's hidden or put in the back corner I don't mind. I used to, but unfortunately those things bring in a lot of money to shops, and--truth be told--longboarding can be really gnarly if done right.
this, i have a shop thats one town over from me and they are barely making it and dont sell longboards, another shop kinda far away does sell longboards and ive talked to the owner about how they are actually really good for business usually because when longboarders break something on their setup they have no idea what theyd need or anything so they just buy new completes, and theyre doing way better than the other shop
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Of course the "cool guy" vibe is weak. Even if it's shop team hanging around, they should represent the shop in a positive way. Thanks for bringing up the independent videos and DLXSF, both good points. They always treated me great whereas going into a place like Skates On Haight and they just weren't personable. Not trying to talk bad about them, maybe I just went at the wrong day/time. About the videos, we all know that YouTube destroyed the skate video market and when videos don't sell, you have no choice but to put them on clearance to try and recoup the cost just to buy more videos that probably won't sell either. However, the indie videos are a different story and don't usually become outdated, so that's terrific feedback.

Also agree about the watches and sunglasses. A little is one thing, but when skateboard hardware inventory is dwarfed by other crap then it doesn't have the same vibe.

The longboards I don't necessarily agree with. As long as there's a good selection of real skate gear, then they don't bother me. It's not as if they're rollerblades, it's really just a bigger skateboard and I see the appeal of going super fast and carving, but I choose to do it on a normal board. Same with snowboarding, I'm not into it but don't mind seeing it. Another factor is that the profit margins on a lot of skateboard stuff isn't very much so the other stuff can help keep you in business.

Thanks again and keep the peeves coming. Also curious about what kinds of things make you really like a shop.
Ok, now it is your turn to tell us what you want information for!

What I like (pretty much the adverse of what I said before) - friendly employees who skate, not a boutique look, a decent ratio of hard-goods to soft-goods (so many shops seem to be 90% soft-goods these days), a stacked dvd case, more skate shoe brands (and less Nike, Adidas, cons and vans... yeah, I said it, Vans!), and a mini-ramp doesn't hurt.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »
The silent awkward shops where the guy just kinda watches you browse the whole time.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »
there better be a tv with a good video playing on it....
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:05 AM »
if i walk in and no-one says hello or at least gives me a head nod, im not buyin

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »
Shops with nothing but thin vulcs and nikes will never see my money.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »
I always liked the idea of like a second hand bin like when people drop off old truck parts, boards, bearings, etc. Like if someone is short on cash, just give it to them. Charging for that shit is fucking gay. A lot of other things have been said in this thread already. There should be a ton of boards on the wall, with a good selection (size, shape and brand).

EDIT by the time I got to this part I forgot the thread title was put offs. Probably a video game system in the store. Well Maybe anything Super Nintendo or older is cool. PS3 or XBox with SKATE is fucking dumb, use the TV for a good video. Also, don't charge for DVDs that usually come free with magazine subscriptions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:46:01 AM by papasmurfsdog »

everypennyfedcar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
  • Getting paid like a biker with the best crank.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
I always liked the idea of like a second hand bin like when people drop off old truck parts, boards, bearings, etc. Like if someone is short on cash, just give it to them. Charging for that shit is fucking gay. A lot of other things have been said in this thread already. There should be a ton of boards on the wall, with a good selection (size, shape and brand).

EDIT by the time I got to this part I forgot the thread title was put offs. Probably a video game system in the store. Well Maybe anything Super Nintendo or older is cool. PS3 or XBox with SKATE is fucking dumb, use the TV for a good video. Also, don't charge for DVDs that usually come free with magazine subscriptions.

"You wanna go skate today man?"

"Naw, I think I'm going to the shop to play Skate instead."

"Sounds good, see you there."
Spray it like a high-rank sniper in the West Bank.

A.J.K.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
The cool guy thing is definitely a put off.

Large displays of companies like element, billibong, plan b. 

One time I went into my shop and there was this kid who was working there, and I got some shoes but he feels the need to tell me every detail about the shoe, and how they have "mad flick, bro".  I know what I want, and don't need someone to talk to me like i'm some 10 year old.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ok, now it is your turn to tell us what you want information for!

What I like (pretty much the adverse of what I said before) - friendly employees who skate, not a boutique look, a decent ratio of hard-goods to soft-goods (so many shops seem to be 90% soft-goods these days), a stacked dvd case, more skate shoe brands (and less Nike, Adidas, cons and vans... yeah, I said it, Vans!), and a mini-ramp doesn't hurt.

I'm asking because I'm advising a buddy of mine with his new shop, and don't want to simply advise based on my personal opinion. The dude love skateboarding and the shop is far enough from every other skater-owned shop that it shouldn't affect their business, mainly want to take customers away from the nearest Zumiez and the like. Now, the owner is a little older and he [awkward silence...] longboards. The crazy super-fast hill and parking garage bombing kind though, not cruising the boardwalk in boardshorts with tribal tats on display. He's a good guy and if the shop is successful he and I can work to do a lot for the local scene. I am selectively building a shop team and want to help guys make the most out of skating while also putting on demos, BBQ's, petitioning for skate parks (that are made properly), fighting anti-skateboarding laws, etc.

Here's my piece: A big shoe selection is hard to do, that is very expensive to stock so w/o a couple hundred K in start-up, you're lucky to have any shoes. I can get my shoes at the next skateshop or as a last resort, at the Vans store. If there is a shoe selection, I like to see Circa, Es, and DVS, among others. Same with the soft goods. I don't wear skinny jeans, I buy my pants at the nearest surplus/workwear outlet. Can't go wrong with Ben Davis and Dickies. However, a good selection of T's and sweatshirts is nice but the most important thing is the hardware.

Not all skateboards are created equal. Of course all shops have to carry the Dwindle stuff, and element unfortunately, but if I don't see a ton of DLX, some Regulator (1031), NHS, and Black Label, then I'm immediately put off. The day I ride a BAM deck I might as well start buying from the Shaun White designed clothing selection at Target. Oh, and support the smaller companies. Even if it's just a few decks, supporting the skater owned start-ups keeps your local scene thriving.

Same with wheels. In my opinion there's really only a handful of really decent wheel companies (the only ones that come to mind are Spitfire, Bones, OJ, Ricta, and Landshark). Did I miss any? Anyway, I ride 56's so when I see a cabinet full of 52's and 53's, and the only wheels I find in the 55-56 range are made by Darkstar...yeah, I'm going elsewhere.

About customer service, skaters should work at a skate shop. Generally, unless they're dicks, most skaters will greet you, let you know that they're there if you need anything, but leave you to find what you want. Almost every skater knows what they want before they walk in the door. When I'm looking at Anti-Hero decks and some guy with a crew-cut, Fox shirt, and stretched ears pulls down an Enjoi and says "this is pretty much the same size..."

Oh, I've actually never seen video games set up in a shop but that sounds like a waste of good skate video playing opportunity. That just shouldn't be allowed.

HK

• Rep: -2
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »

the problem with having snowboards and longboards is soon the staff become based around these and not skateboarding, and thats shit.

ghettokid

• Rep: -5
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
you guys just described pharmacy boardshop.

pharmacy=shittiest shop ever.   fuck pharmacy boardshop! and anyone associated with them.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
I'm asking because I'm advising a buddy of mine with his new shop, and don't want to simply advise based on my personal opinion. The dude love skateboarding and the shop is far enough from every other skater-owned shop that it shouldn't affect their business, mainly want to take customers away from the nearest Zumiez and the like. Now, the owner is a little older and he [awkward silence...] longboards. The crazy super-fast hill and parking garage bombing kind though, not cruising the boardwalk in boardshorts with tribal tats on display. He's a good guy and if the shop is successful he and I can work to do a lot for the local scene. I am selectively building a shop team and want to help guys make the most out of skating while also putting on demos, BBQ's, petitioning for skate parks (that are made properly), fighting anti-skateboarding laws, etc.

If he needs advise on how to stock his shop, your buddy should just open a longboard shop since that's what he's into.

There's also a difference between taking away customers from Zumiez (never been to one, but it sounds lame) and running a legit shop. If he wants to beat them, he'll have to give the same selection at lower prices--basically cater to the lowest common denominator.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 04:31:22 AM »
if youre starting a shop a bit of personal advice for board stocking.

Have the boards hung up/stacked up whatever by size not brand, if you do it by brand people will always ask what size stuff is, but if its by size they'll just look through the size they like and find whatever they want, much easier.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 04:58:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If he needs advise on how to stock his shop, your buddy should just open a longboard shop since that's what he's into.

There's also a difference between taking away customers from Zumiez (never been to one, but it sounds lame) and running a legit shop. If he wants to beat them, he'll have to give the same selection at lower prices--basically cater to the lowest common denominator.

About the Zumiez thing, just saying that there's no heavy/direct competition with core shops. There are some great shops around my area, I'm lucky, and out of principle I wouldn't want to try to compete with them, I'll push for collaborration before competition. Never been into a Zumiez either but walked by them when I was doing school shopping a few weeks back. It made me puke in my mouth a little.

With the longboards, he has that side covered already. Doesn't make a strictly longboard shop because dude has been around skating forever, just drifted a bit out of touch with our side since the 80's, but loves skateboarding so there's nothing wrong with chasing what you love so I'm helping him learn about skating in it's current form/trends (example: he didn't know about the popularity of STF wheels and didn't have any). I started early so in my early 30's I've been in and out of the skate industry for a long while, and I still push myself hard, so when an opportunity comes up to help out my local scene by making sure the next shop that pops up is as undouchey as possibly, gotta jump on it.

If I went with my preference the shop would always play Thrasher videos, stock nothing but local companies, 1031/Landshark/Beer City, and DLX, with a good T selection. My reason for posting this though is to give some skateboarders an opportunity to give input on the formation of a shop because it's you guys who in the end really win if the place turns out to be great. Like I said in the first post, it's market research, in its simplest form.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:30:47 AM by Schismatic »

Shithappenswhenyournaked

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 05:15:54 AM »

Nailed it

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 07:12:35 AM »
Longboards in the shop = air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter. Those things suck, but it's the truth.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

No Thanks.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »
The most important aspect to me is that the dudes running it skate themselves while they stock and push the product they like.  I want the dude behind the counter to be passionate about what he is selling and not just read me off a fucking mall dialogue.  If it happens to be the product I don't like, I guess I'm out of luck, but that dude has an opinion or a reason for it and I respect that.  What the shop looks like, the music they are playing, the videos they are watching, all of that stuff is not mine to decide or even impose.  If I had to sit in the shop all day while it was sunny outside watching Tivo'd Street League contests because thats what kids are into I would kill everyone that walks in the door, and that would definitely be bad for business.

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
-Skater owned is a must.
-Aside from that, the main put-off that I notice immediately would be the lack of a chill area for the kids with like a couch and a TV so they can hang out and watch skate videos. All the legit shops around me have 'em.. all the shitty ones don't. I think it's completely necessary if you want to have a group of kids who are going to hang out at your shop and support it.

For example, when visiting a shop in another city we often travel to, I find the atmosphere a bit odd. There's no TV or hang out area or anything. It's set up like a boutique or whatever... everything is white and spotless. And depending on who was working, they may not even say what's up to us... let alone ask us if we needed help with purchasing anything. However, someone on here kindly explained to me that the shop appears this way because of its location. The shopping mall is very strict on how the businesses are run. So I guess all I can say is to make your shop a good hangout spot if your location allows.

Like I said though, I'm down with their shop. My friends and I have bought quite a few things there... their shop shirts, videos, etc. But the vibe we've gotten most of the time is that we're not really welcome, and they want us in and out as quick as possible.
So I guess like every other kind of shop or store, making people feel welcome is a big deal as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:53:07 PM by Gil »
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
the one i hate most is girls working in the shop

cool guy vibe is probably after that

i know it's hard to get nike and adidas when you are starting but without those i won't doing a lot of shoe shopping there

wack product won't kill it as long as it's balanced with some smaller and more reputable brands

oh and having skaters working in the shop is essential but just know that they will steal from you, no matter how tight you think you are with them

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

About the Zumiez thing, just saying that there's no heavy/direct competition with core shops. There are some great shops around my area, I'm lucky, and out of principle I wouldn't want to try to compete with them, I'll push for collaborration before competition. Never been into a Zumiez either but walked by them when I was doing school shopping a few weeks back. It made me puke in my mouth a little.

With the longboards, he has that side covered already. Doesn't make a strictly longboard shop because dude has been around skating forever, just drifted a bit out of touch with our side since the 80's, but loves skateboarding so there's nothing wrong with chasing what you love so I'm helping him learn about skating in it's current form/trends (example: he didn't know about the popularity of STF wheels and didn't have any). I started early so in my early 30's I've been in and out of the skate industry for a long while, and I still push myself hard, so when an opportunity comes up to help out my local scene by making sure the next shop that pops up is as undouchey as possibly, gotta jump on it.

If I went with my preference the shop would always play Thrasher videos, stock nothing but local companies, 1031/Landshark/Beer City, and DLX, with a good T selection. My reason for posting this though is to give some skateboarders an opportunity to give input on the formation of a shop because it's you guys who in the end really win if the place turns out to be great. Like I said in the first post, it's market research, in its simplest form.

If you are going to do smaller brands I would do more than just the 'punk' (for lack of a better term) brands. Maybe Traffic, Shut, Coda, Rasa Libre, Paradise Wheels, Prize Fighter Cutlery wheels, Magenta Skateboards... companies like that.