Author Topic: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?  (Read 42224 times)

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
Re: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
The silent awkward shops where the guy just kinda watches you browse the whole time.
Haha this one made me laugh.

You guys pretty much covered it, but I'll add something. It isn't really a MUST, but I do like it when shops have old boards or posters or some shit on the walls. It's just gives it some personality.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
-Skater owned is a must.
-Aside from that, the main put-off that I notice immediately would be the lack of a chill area for the kids with like a couch and a TV so they can hang out and watch skate videos. All the legit shops around me have 'em.. all the shitty ones don't. I think it's completely necessary if you want to have a group of kids who are going to hang out at your shop and support it.

Now don't interpret this as shit talking. But when visiting Kansas City, I've been to Escapist several times, and I find the atmosphere a bit odd. There's no TV or hang out area or anything. It's set up like a boutique or whatever... everything is white and spotless. And depending on who was working, they may not even say what's up to us... let alone ask us if we needed help with purchasing anything.
Like I said though, I'm down with their shop. My friends and I have bought quite a few things there... their shop shirts, videos, etc. But the vibe we've gotten most of the time is that we're not really welcome, and they want us in and out as quick as possible.
So I guess like every other kind of shop or store, making people feel welcome is a big deal as well.

To each his own, doesn't sound like a shop I would back though.

Here's what we're heading for, much of it we already have. To be clear this isn't a pipe dream, it's been open for business for a few months now, just want to make sure it's proper before we advertise heavily so people get a good first impression.

- Carpeted entryway with couch and coffee table. After going through the entryway there's a wooden picnic table in center of shop, flat screen on the wall. As the video selection grows I'd like to make the "outdated" videos available for cheap rent ($1/day).
- Workbench in back, tools available for people to wrench on their boards at the picnic table too.
- Open wall of boards. I hate it when I have to ask someone to pull a board down for me or when they're behind the counter. Stock should always be around 100 decks, most major companies represented with a good amount of underground brands and local company decks added in. Unfortunately you have to carry some blanks, but not prominently displayed. I don't push blank decks but I'm thinking Beer City because they're good and skater-owned, not coming from a Chinese toy factory, as an alternative to the Powell and Darkstar mini-logo boards. Shop boards will likely be collaboration with local companies (but I'd love to do something like a shop/Krooked board).
- Wheels: I personally believe that Spitfire, Bones, OJ, Ricta, and Landshark (surprisingly good I hear) are really all you need. I haven't heard great things about Hubba. I'd rather go with a proper wheel brand than board company names stamped on generic wheels. Does anyone disagree with any of that statement? Would you really be upset if a shop didn't have Girl or Plan B wheels?
- Trucks: Easy, stock the majors in a variety of sizes.
- Bearings. I've ride Spitfire Burners bearings and they're awesome so gotta have those, Bones, Shortys, FKD, and maybe some others that kids want for some reason like Shake Junt. I had a really bad experience with Independent bearings, has anyone tried and liked them? Mine were complete shit.
- The rest of the hardware is standard variety.
- It's not a boutique, it's a skate shop, so aside from t-shirts and a few hats and sweatshirts, I'm thinking about focusing on the hardware for now. Do you guys walk into a skate shop and say "man, this place needs more pants" or anything like that? I don't but again, thats why I'm asking this here.

Please don't hold back if you have any ideas. Even if though it might not be your local shop, who knows, you might road trip through some time and be able to stop in. I have been devoted to skateboarding for a couple dozen years and I know that a local shop is a special thing, and I take every comment on here very seriously. Even the ones about meth and blowjobs.

The shop is moving to a new space this weekend and set-up of the new shop and roiding up the inventory will commence over the next couple of weeks. When it's done I'll post up the details, name, location, and pics.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 02:26:28 PM »

If you are going to do smaller brands I would do more than just the 'punk' (for lack of a better term) brands. Maybe Traffic, Shut, Coda, Rasa Libre, Paradise Wheels, Prize Fighter Cutlery wheels, Magenta Skateboards... companies like that.

Agreed. Already planned on doing Shut and Rasa Libre. I'll look into the others, I've heard of some of them, not all, but am not familiar with the rest. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Once again, that's why I'm on here asking this weird question, so there's more than Bacon, Cockfight, and Pillage on the walls.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote

If you are going to do smaller brands I would do more than just the 'punk' (for lack of a better term) brands. Maybe Traffic, Shut, Coda, Rasa Libre, Paradise Wheels, Prize Fighter Cutlery wheels, Magenta Skateboards... companies like that.
[close]

Agreed. Already planned on doing Shut and Rasa Libre. I'll look into the others, I've heard of some of them, not all, but am not familiar with the rest. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Once again, that's why I'm on here asking this weird question, so there's more than Bacon, Cockfight, and Pillage on the walls.

Uh oh, looks like Shut stopped operations. Definitely won't forget about 5boro too. I know they're a bit bigger than the others you mentioned, but I don't see them in enough shops.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
You asked about the wheels - My rule of thumb is to buy wheels from a wheel brand. I figure the chances of them focusing on putting out a better quality wheel is greater than a board company.

As far as what you said about pants - though I never buy skate jeans (or any skate clothing for that matter), the unfortunate truth is that soft-goods sell better and these are often not skateboarders buying this stuff. While I was the one that made the original comment that I get turned off when I see a shop that sells more soft-goods than hard, I still think it is smart business to cary some pants, jackets, sweatshirts, button-ups and the like. Don't focus on it but also don't skip out on it entirely.

I mean, shit, you might not even want to listen to us to have a successful shop! Maybe the path to success is carrying more soft-goods and ignoring small brands. While I have more respect for a shop trying to do what you are doing, you can't deposit respect into the bank.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Uh oh, looks like Shut stopped operations. Definitely won't forget about 5boro too. I know they're a bit bigger than the others you mentioned, but I don't see them in enough shops.
Agreed, on 5Boro. Too bad about shut. Even though BLVD has a bigger backing than some of the other brands I listed up there, I would go for them as well. I am a big fan of everything they are doing.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
three nike banners, one window

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
No sale/clearance section. Those are what's stopping me from buying everything online.

HK

• Rep: -2
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
-Skater owned is a must.
-Aside from that, the main put-off that I notice immediately would be the lack of a chill area for the kids with like a couch and a TV so they can hang out and watch skate videos. All the legit shops around me have 'em.. all the shitty ones don't. I think it's completely necessary if you want to have a group of kids who are going to hang out at your shop and support it.

Now don't interpret this as shit talking. But when visiting Kansas City, I've been to Escapist several times, and I find the atmosphere a bit odd. There's no TV or hang out area or anything. It's set up like a boutique or whatever... everything is white and spotless. And depending on who was working, they may not even say what's up to us... let alone ask us if we needed help with purchasing anything.
Like I said though, I'm down with their shop. My friends and I have bought quite a few things there... their shop shirts, videos, etc. But the vibe we've gotten most of the time is that we're not really welcome, and they want us in and out as quick as possible.
So I guess like every other kind of shop or store, making people feel welcome is a big deal as well.
[close]

To each his own, doesn't sound like a shop I would back though.

Here's what we're heading for, much of it we already have. To be clear this isn't a pipe dream, it's been open for business for a few months now, just want to make sure it's proper before we advertise heavily so people get a good first impression.

- Carpeted entryway with couch and coffee table. After going through the entryway there's a wooden picnic table in center of shop, flat screen on the wall. As the video selection grows I'd like to make the "outdated" videos available for cheap rent ($1/day).
- Workbench in back, tools available for people to wrench on their boards at the picnic table too.
- Open wall of boards. I hate it when I have to ask someone to pull a board down for me or when they're behind the counter. Stock should always be around 100 decks, most major companies represented with a good amount of underground brands and local company decks added in. Unfortunately you have to carry some blanks, but not prominently displayed. I don't push blank decks but I'm thinking Beer City because they're good and skater-owned, not coming from a Chinese toy factory, as an alternative to the Powell and Darkstar mini-logo boards. Shop boards will likely be collaboration with local companies (but I'd love to do something like a shop/Krooked board).
- Wheels: I personally believe that Spitfire, Bones, OJ, Ricta, and Landshark (surprisingly good I hear) are really all you need. I haven't heard great things about Hubba. I'd rather go with a proper wheel brand than board company names stamped on generic wheels. Does anyone disagree with any of that statement? Would you really be upset if a shop didn't have Girl or Plan B wheels?
- Trucks: Easy, stock the majors in a variety of sizes.
- Bearings. I've ride Spitfire Burners bearings and they're awesome so gotta have those, Bones, Shortys, FKD, and maybe some others that kids want for some reason like Shake Junt. I had a really bad experience with Independent bearings, has anyone tried and liked them? Mine were complete shit.
- The rest of the hardware is standard variety.
- It's not a boutique, it's a skate shop, so aside from t-shirts and a few hats and sweatshirts, I'm thinking about focusing on the hardware for now. Do you guys walk into a skate shop and say "man, this place needs more pants" or anything like that? I don't but again, thats why I'm asking this here.

Please don't hold back if you have any ideas. Even if though it might not be your local shop, who knows, you might road trip through some time and be able to stop in. I have been devoted to skateboarding for a couple dozen years and I know that a local shop is a special thing, and I take every comment on here very seriously. Even the ones about meth and blowjobs.

The shop is moving to a new space this weekend and set-up of the new shop and roiding up the inventory will commence over the next couple of weeks. When it's done I'll post up the details, name, location, and pics.

i do like a decent selection of board brand shirts and pants and jackets and stuff.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
Don't forget about shoes
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

police state

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
a public shitter is important, also a change room with a door
it's okay to hate but you need to apply all hate evenly and fairly.

gmgscigmgsci

• Rep: -14
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
an old guy wearing a nice shirt and a tie at the counter.

BFKskateboards

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
seeing old shoes on display where the white outsole is turning yellow

HK

• Rep: -2
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »
its cool when they sell stuff that is not sold by other shops in the area, for example in melbourne only one place sells palace.

Twistofcain

• Rep: -1
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
I work in a mall shop, so I'll give you my opinion based on experience in a mall shop. There's a few things you can do, that we can't, that always hurts our business.

- Stock brands Zumies DOESN'T carry. This will help bring people into your shop. My shop doesn't carry Supra, so we lost a lot of business when Supra dealers moved near us.

-Don't be afraid to order specific stock. Mall shops can't usually just order one thing in, their ordering and purchasing is done at a head office level, and done ahead of time. Owning your own shop allows you to order specific stock. The local shop I used to go to would order in specific boards/shoes from brands they carried. They always had catalogue's around so you could browse current models you can order in specifically.

- Keep the atmosphere as skate oriented as possible, and have things in/around the shop to bring people to your store. My local shop used to have rails, a spine, a quarter pipe, and some other stuff cemented in behind the shop. And they had a mini ramp in the back room.

- Don't be afraid of poser kids, and don't treat poser kids like shit. They may be annoying, and bug the regulars, but they may also help business. Explain to your regulars that they need to be respectful to dumb wiener kids, cause they won't come back/spend money if they're ragged on. Bad gossip travels faster than good gossip. If some kid goes into your store and gets dumped on, he'll never come back, and he'll probably tell all his poser friends that you guys are pricks, and then they'll tell their parents, and you'll lose a bunch of business.

- Become involved in your skate community. Go skate with the kids, the regulars. The owner of the shop i grew up at used to actually skate with us all the time. He was nice to the kids, and the regulars, and his involvement made us want to shop there, and support him. Put on contests, skate tours, all that stuff. We used to have a "skate club" every thursday where the shop regulars all went out and skated together. The more you're out there, the more kids you meet, and the more word will spread.

- Meet some skaters that work at Zumiez. Seriously, do it. If they dig you, they'll probably send customers to you. If someone comes into Zumiez, can't find what they want, and a Zumiez employee likes you, and know you carry that product... They'll probably send them your way. My store always sends people to the closest private shop to find skate shit we don't have. As much as we are a corporation and what not, we still skate, and still like to help local skate shops. If we don't carry what someones looking for, we aren't losing business if we send them to another shop, we're just making the customer happy.

- Find a good balance between price matching, and giving deals. Keep an eye on your prices, and zumiez prices, and try to compete. And if someone comes in, buys a set up, and shoes, and some hardware, and a bunch of shit, don't be afraid to help them out. Give them 10$ off or something, or throw something in. Mall shops can't really do this. But don't give discounts to everyone who asks. Sometimes you've just gotta say no, but be cool about it. Just explain that you lose money by giving deals.

- I mentioned regulars before, but didn't explain much. Find some regulars! Get some guys hyped on the store, and hyped to hangout there. It may start with only 3 or 4 dudes hanging around there, but eventually you'll end up with a pack of rad dudes who ONLY shop in your store, and will spread the word!

- Set up some kind of shop team. 4 or 5 dudes who rip. Give them shirts, stickers, anything to help advertise your shop, and flow them some gear here and there. If they're sick, kids will eventually know they skate for you, and will end up bringing people to your store.

That's just off the top of my head, hope it helps. As hard as it may seem to compete with Zumiez, it's easier than you think. It's slowly become more and more "uncool" to shop at the mall, and if you run a legit shop, with comparable pricing, people will shop there instead of zumiez. Even if it's just for Skate stuff. You may not get all the shoe/clothing sales, but if you can take their skate hardware business away, it will help you as well as hurt them.

Let me know if you have any questions!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
being honest with kids always pays back. if somebody asks you how long a certain shoe lasts be honest and show them another one that lasts longer. don't tell em shit like "this are the fastest bearings" or whatever.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
The only skateshop I never will go back to is one where the guy put my deck on after I gripped it, and laid on the board to countersink the bolts as hard as he could. I told him to stop and that he was ruining my board, he told me it was better, and I still told him to stop because it weakens the board a lot, but he still kept fucking screwing it in all hard. I broke the deck that day skating a knee high ledge. I almost went back just to bitch him out, but I already did, and he didn't listen then, so fuck him, he lost me, and he'll lose more customers too.
-Nike shit (especially ads and swooshes everywhere)
-No skater owned skate shoes
-More clothes than skate stuff (I like how 510 does it where all soft goods are sold in a completely different storefront next door)
-Only a couple of brands
-Person behind the counter doesn't know shit about skating.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
The only skateshop I never will go back to is one where the guy put my deck on after I gripped it, and laid on the board to countersink the bolts as hard as he could. I told him to stop and that he was ruining my board, he told me it was better, and I still told him to stop because it weakens the board a lot, but he still kept fucking screwing it in all hard. I broke the deck that day skating a knee high ledge. I almost went back just to bitch him out, but I already did, and he didn't listen then, so fuck him, he lost me, and he'll lose more customers too.
-Nike shit (especially ads and swooshes everywhere)
-No skater owned skate shoes
-More clothes than skate stuff (I like how 510 does it where all soft goods are sold in a completely different storefront next door)
-Only a couple of brands
-Person behind the counter doesn't know shit about skating.

It is one storefront now.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
The silent awkward shops where the guy just kinda watches you browse the whole time.

What the fuck are you talking about? I hate it when the workers need to fucking talk all the time. If you don't have anything important to say then don't talk to me unless I talk to you.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Isaiah Kemp

• Rep: 7
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
If the shoe wall is bigger than the board wall, I feel a little weird.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »
if i walk in and no-one says hello or at least gives me a head nod, im not buyin
agreed. well actually i might still buy if there is a good deal, but it's nice to be greeted. i get the feeling that i just walked into someone's house uninvited if i don't get a hello. it's uncomfortable. and the dudes that don't say hello are usually the ones that stare you down expecting you to shoplift or something.

so say hi.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2011, 06:12:57 AM »
-Longboards (but these are in every shop so there is almost no avoiding it)
-Employees who clearly don't skate. Especially teeny-bopper high school girls.

-A weak skate video display - I know dvds don't sell but I buy them. I want to see some independent videos in the case (DLXSF is the best for this).

I got 3 local shops, and they all have longboards and no employees that skates (besides one dude I think). So I usually just buy shit online instead of giving them any of my hard earned cash
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:32:42 AM by Juelz »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »
Definitely walking in and having everyone giving you this awkward stare. This kept me from going to the local shop and to just order stuff online.
Or having to listen to Blink 182 while skating a mini ramp.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 06:29:52 AM »
when you walk in and there's no bob marley t shirts.......

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:56 AM »
Poor customer service takes the cake. I'm not saying you have to be phony like a waiter but damn act like you give a shit.

Although this isn't "immediate" I sometimes hate how shops don't usually get the new shit in time, unless its nike.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:41:46 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What the fuck are you talking about? I hate it when the workers need to fucking talk all the time. If you don't have anything important to say then don't talk to me unless I talk to you.

Well I'm not socially regular, so people talking to me isn't really a big deal.

Even a colloquial greeting when I walk through the door is good enough for me.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
The majority of skaters are socially regular though. I sure don't want any more than a head nod or a hello.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

cletus the slack jawed yokel

• Rep: 7
  • big money big cars!
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
hipster music in the shop, the guy talking about how good he skate fuck all that crazy ass attitude, here in chile are 3 or 5 skate owned shop and all sucks

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
The presence of snowboards is an immediate deal-breaker. 

WhackAsFuck

• Rep: -30
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
employees that think they know more about skateboarding shoes/decks than i do                                                                                                           
rich kids getting better service with mom there