Author Topic: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?  (Read 42222 times)

WhackAsFuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Re: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
oh and same employee trying to make me buy different unproven shit every time,                                                                                            I don't give a fuck how "dope" janoski's are, i don't give a fuck about your fucking tensor trucks

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
oh and same employee trying to make me buy different unproven shit every time,                                                                                            I don't give a fuck how "dope" janoski's are, i don't give a fuck about your fucking tensor trucks

this shit pisses me off, when i go to the shop i always have at least a good idea of what i want, im not gonna buy what you tell  me just because you think its cool

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
The majority of skaters are socially regular though. I sure don't want any more than a head nod or a hello.

Okay, well that's more of an engagement than said awkward silence from my initial post.

immagetchuwet

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2011, 08:07:15 AM »
shops that clearly are marketing all their products for little kids, shitty brand selection, snowboard gear, employees cool guyin the customers i've never understood this i'm going to your fucking shop to buy things if your gonna be a cock i'm not gonna get anything or come back again, but make sure you have a couch and a tv with playing some local video so people can come chill n shit 

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »
energy drink cabinet, board wall full of nothing but shit guaranteed to sell- but that one's already been thoroughly covered.

free shop stickers is a must

I'm big on having a decent sticker selection to choose from when I'm in the market for a board. And though I'm not too particular on the matter, a lot of people have an almost odd loyalty to whatever griptape they're used to, so you may wanna research what 3 or so griptape companies are the safest bets.

The concept someone mentioned of a communal 2nd hand bin full of used components is always awesome. Nothing puts a bad taste in your mouth more than being charged 25 cents for a single hardware nut and bolt. A 2nd hand board selection is a good idea as well. The shop I go to/ride for will give store credit for old decks in ridable condition and sell them for cheap.

Having pleanty of tools (especially a surplus of sharp razor blades) and workspace handy so that multiple people can be essembling their boards sumultaneously is a good idea.

And also, someone mentioned skate videos, even though they don't sell- which I agree with, but I'd like to add to this skateboard magazines. At least have shop copies for kids to nerd out over if you're not gonna stock em' for retail purposes.

A willingness to do special orders for shop locals is a much appreciated courtesy.

If you can't find guys well versed in both skating and snowboarding, finding people with snowboard knowledge willing to work seasonally could help prevent the shift of focus everyone on here is so up-in-arms about. And yeah, I agree with longboard products sort of being tucked away, same with snowboarding gear, skimboards, etc..
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

BlackDemonShreds

• Rep: -4
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2011, 07:12:03 AM »
Getting vibed for not wearing skate brand clothes, or not looking like a "skater".

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
yeah, I was gripping/setting up a new deck at a shop that I don't go to super often but happened to be close to, and the guy behind the counter kept trying to sell me Ace trucks. At first he was real friendly, then he started insinuating that if I was a real skater I'd understand that Ace trucks are far superior the the Thunders I'm riding. Never went there again, 2annoyingbro
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
Attractive female employees.

I lose focus and end up buying shit that I didn't intend to. ("She's watching me! I better buy this chicken wax so she thinks I'm worth her time")

Nowison!

BraveUlysses

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
I always felt weird when I called a shop with a specific question about a product or something relating to skating and a girl answers the phone. I end up not even asking the original question. My go to question for when a girl answers the phone is "what time do you guys close?"

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Haha, there's this one shop I know of, and I guess sometimes the guy gets his girlfriend (or I think wife now) to fill in, and she INSISTS on gripping a board she sells, even if you actually ask her not to. She fucked up my buddy's grip hardcore, hahaha.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2011, 06:58:02 AM »
I always felt weird when I called a shop with a specific question about a product or something relating to skating and a girl answers the phone. I end up not even asking the original question. My go to question for when a girl answers the phone is "what time do you guys close?"

I think in a lot of cases this is valid, but I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion over the phone. The girl *might* skate or may have taken the time to learn some basics, at the very least from word of mouth. In one case, again using Cowtown as an example being it's pretty much the epitome of a well executed core skate shop, the owner's wife Laura would work the shop sometimes and she was cool as hell and seemed familiar with the inventory, knew what's good, etc.

Also, though I think skate shops should only hire skateboarders, having a non-skating girl work the shop seems ok as long as there's at least one skater working there too.

Girl or guy, if anyone "insisted" on gripping my board I would insist right back that they keep their hands off my shit.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45:36 AM »
Antisocials owned by a woman(I think rick isn't in anymore, could be wrong), and for a while had only her and another female friend running the whole thing. It actually does a ton of the things said 'not to do' in this thread and is definately the best shop in vancouver. Location is a big part though, I don't think a boutique run by women would work in many other places.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

$J-money$

• Rep: 0
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
There's a shop called KORE that doesnt have one person that skates and they sell army clothes and GAS MASK

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
I went to a shop near my parents house a few months ago, and their whole deck selection consisted of element, darkstar, world industries and almost. Nothing above like a 7.75, if that. For trucks, they offered silver, destructo and tensor. All the bearings/bolts were element, there were more longboard wheels than skate wheels and there was snowboard shit out in the summer. It was like a nightmare, haha.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Sit on my face

• Rep: 1
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »
-Walking into a shop and the guy working there is wearing a Fox shirt or a Tapout shirt (it's happened)
-DC shoes all over the fucking place, Billabong, Plan B, basically everything that's already been said.
I dunno, everything has already been said. I live in a really small town in Nova Scotia, Canada, so either I go to my local shop or I drive an hour to go to West 49 (Bigger selection but shitty) and we used to have this shop called Zero Gravity, and they had really shitty boards, clothes, shoes, hardware, and a really unfriendly staff who didn't give a fuck, and half of the workers were girls. I mean, some of the stuff was good but it was basically a 2:5 ratio of good to bad. Now, we have this shop called HAF and it's actually pretty sick. A lot of good brands like Altamont, DVS, Emerica, Vans, and a lot of sick hardware like Krooked boards, Baker boards (Whatever), Alien Workshop, Habitat, Thunder, Bones, Spitfire, all of the likes. The staff consists of like 3 guys, all of which skate and they're really nice guys and we talk about skate videos and shit all of the time.

So I dunno, don't get shitty brands of clothes (Because as sad as it is that's gonna be where most of your profit is coming from) and get good boards and hardware! Good luck brah.

Oh my God the worst thing are a lot of surf stuff. Just, no.

Chocolaterain

• Rep: -7
  • awesome
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2011, 02:39:21 AM »
Diamond clothing all over the clothing section
Longboards
World Industries

gmgscigmgsci

• Rep: -14
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2011, 06:46:07 AM »
It is kind of a bummer when the shop doesn't carry certain brands (Adidas, Fallen, Dekline) because the manager doesn't like said brands.

MINDFIELD

• Rep: -10
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
I worked at Utility for four and a half years, this fucking hell hole called "Kore"  for a month and i quit that stupid place, and im now working at a shop that is owned locally for just about six months now.

From seeing every different aspect of all these places that main thing i learned is who ever you hire make sure they know about skating, when you cant answer peoples questions about product it is an auto turn down. I've worked with people who didnt really skate but i would always show them videos and Mags and fill them in on things which really helped. Kids who were the "core" skaters in my area would still come in and chill with these guys because they could still talk about skating with these other employees who didn't skate, some even started skating which was fucking sick. Basically people can tell if your bullshitting be honest to customers.

Product is hard to tell from the start because u need to see what will sell in your area more.

NEVER act to cool, annoying kids will turn into grown ass kids who can skate better so just be chill with everyone unless they are obviously being a douche.

Side note fuck KORE that was the fuckin worst place i have ever worked, straight up corparate scum.

I imagine a whore's vagina would smell like a fresh bag of Doritos

Psalmtree

• Rep: -4
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
Two things are make and break for all skateshops in San Diego.
1. If they don't sell Almost, they don't sell shit.
2. If I don't hear KoRn or Natalie Imbruglia, they don't sell shit.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »
Now, we have this shop called HAF and it's actually pretty sick. A lot of good brands like Altamont, DVS, Emerica, Vans, and a lot of sick hardware like Krooked boards, Baker boards (Whatever), Alien Workshop, Habitat, Thunder, Bones, Spitfire, all of the likes. The staff consists of like 3 guys, all of which skate and they're really nice guys and we talk about skate videos and shit all of the time.

psyched! that's like an hour away from me.. definitely paying em a visit.. i'm in the same small-town boat as you.

and yeah, everything already said, especially the deal about size/stock proportions. there's nothing worse than walking into some shop loaded with awesome gear and being left with 2 or 3 choices because you don't have a size 16 foot or wear toddler clothes.

HendoSkates

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
If its in a mall or sells stuff other than skateboarding

BraveUlysses

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
There's a shop called KORE that doesnt have one person that skates and they sell army clothes and GAS MASK
Hahaha I just went to their website out of curiosity and the first thing that pops up is a picture of a dude wearing an affliction shirt and the photo said "Swag!" on top of it. Here are some other gems I found.

"We have the biggest selection of kicks in cali-ali!!! Also, we have many of our kick's on saleezy!!!"
"Deck, ohhhhh our decks. We must say they be pretty clean!"
"Yo, also we have much apparel like TuB.i.g. LRG, Green Apple Tree, JSLV, GRENADE, KORE, NEFF,ECT"

Seriously? Saleezy?
This place makes Zumiez seem badass.

stef

• Rep: -1
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »
Skate videos have already been mentioned a bunch, but this really is a big one for me.  I like having a physical copy of videos, so it's nice that my shop has the latest videos and a decent selection of older stuff.

I like it when shops have shop shirts/sweatshirts.  Skate brands are generally really expensive, but I know soft goods bring in more money than hard goods.  If I'm checking out a shop in some area I'm visiting, I'll almost always buy a shirt for the shop or a local video (as long as it seems like a good shop).  I figure buying a shop t-shirt supports the shop and also "advertises" it to other people when I wear it.

Stuff to skate outside if there's room for it.  Mini ramp inside is always awesome to see, but I realize that's difficult for almost every shop.

otis shredding

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2012, 01:29:53 AM »
well my local shop went out of business, i'm pretty sure that classifies as a "put-off" right??

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »
Do you guys walk into a skate shop and say "man, this place needs more pants" or anything like that?
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 04:03:41 AM »
Its not a skateshop if they dont have Indys

BMC

• Rep: -1
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 03:20:41 AM »
I like to at least be noticed when i walk in like a head nod or a what's up. I don't mind the xbox with SKATE in it as long as we can still play a good video. As long as I can get my size from a company I like riding I'm good but if it has some kid I know doesn't skate working I'm done with the shop
get partied

jkorzo08

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:22 PM »
1. old and outdated product.
2. no boards over 8.0
3. dirty box of generic hardware with the bolt heads that are big enough to hold train tracks together
4. people who have no idea about what their talking about

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
KCDC (brooklyn NYC) is a great skate shop.. and it happens to be run by a women.

weird that everyone seems to be vibed by girls / women in the shop.
i mean if they dont know anything, and no one there does. yeah then its weird.
but seriously.. is everyone here 14 and afraid of girls?

anywhos. i hate it when people try to "sell" me something. obviously people are gonna have things they like over other things. but if you got shit that isn't selling, don't try to push it out the door. just put it on sale and hopes it leaves and don't get it again.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
cool guy jock motherfuckers that don't skate/sometimes skate running the place. or shop owners with too big of an ego. or a horrible combination of both.