Author Topic: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?  (Read 42223 times)

SEAN PABLO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -78
i hate it when people need to cuddle afterwards especialy if your a man lol

troy

• Rep: -2
Re: What are immediate put-off's when you walk into a shop for the 1st time?
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:44 AM »
longboards

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »
Animal/Fox

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
Bearded stinky hippies behind the counter
People skating inside
Overall cleanliness is a big one
If they don't have my size deck in stock I usually never go back

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »
Pyramid belts and Monster stuff.

Bonesaw24

• Rep: 1
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »
As someone who works in a skater-owned shop, I feel like I learned a lot from this thread. Here's my two cents though:

-I know that a lot of people have shared about how they are socially awkward, and they don't want interaction, but I feel just as weird when customers don't say anything back. I know it's not a requirement or anything, but I thought it was just polite to reply to someone who is saying "hello".

-The shop I work in recently started carrying longboards a year or so ago, and while I don't like them, I'm ok with the money they bring in. I had to do homework about these things so that I can have an honest and decent conversation with customers. It's not my favorite, but whatever, they're going to buy them anyways; why not let them support the local shop?

-I noticed a lot of people are mentioning not carrying core brands in exchange for the bigger conglomerate ones (i.e. "it sucks to stock nike; only carry Emerica"). I can identify. I don't do the ordering in my store, as my boss is infinitely better at figuring out what kids want than I am, but I do understand how it works (at least, at it's most basic level). I wish our shop would carry more of the "core brands", but even they are adopting some of the same business strategies  (like "pre-booking") as those evil  conglomerates. At any rate, brands like Nike and Adidas are popular, so I think it's necessary to find a balance between core and corporate; you know, so the shop can keep the lights on.  I think someone mentioned that it's rad to carry brands that the owner likes, and for the owner to have a reason for carrying those brands. That shit is cool.

-The last thing I wanted to mention was the "used goods" bin idea. I HATE the used goods bin. I am by no means a wealthy person; I am scraping by going to a community college and living on ramen noodles. But I see so many grown ass men come into the store and ask for used decks that I'm slowly losing my grip on reality. While the idea is awesome for little skate rats whose only income comes from hustling, it loses the shop tons of money. After our shop did away with it, I can't tell you how many times I've had a grown man ask for one, get rejected, then pony up the cash for a new board. I'll stash a few of mine away for the deserving little dudes, but I am so glad to see our used board bin leave.

Anyways, this is my first post, so please don't crucify me for my opinion. Or do it, whatever. 

iSk84thechicas

• Rep: -47
  • Thats right - Her AND her cousin
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
-Skater owned is a must.
-Aside from that, the main put-off that I notice immediately would be the lack of a chill area for the kids with like a couch and a TV so they can hang out and watch skate videos. All the legit shops around me have 'em.. all the shitty ones don't. I think it's completely necessary if you want to have a group of kids who are going to hang out at your shop and support it.

For example, when visiting a shop in another city we often travel to, I find the atmosphere a bit odd. There's no TV or hang out area or anything. It's set up like a boutique or whatever... everything is white and spotless. And depending on who was working, they may not even say what's up to us... let alone ask us if we needed help with purchasing anything. However, someone on here kindly explained to me that the shop appears this way because of its location. The shopping mall is very strict on how the businesses are run. So I guess all I can say is to make your shop a good hangout spot if your location allows.

Like I said though, I'm down with their shop. My friends and I have bought quite a few things there... their shop shirts, videos, etc. But the vibe we've gotten most of the time is that we're not really welcome, and they want us in and out as quick as possible.
So I guess like every other kind of shop or store, making people feel welcome is a big deal as well.

Very Important. And if you are familiar with SUPREME NYC at all...... DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF EVERYTHING THEY DO.

-"...Because we all know if Baker were Guns N Roses, Braydon would be Steven Adler..."

- "When I'm not getting laid , I'm hauling myself down a 5 flat 5....Time to man up son!"

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
Mid to late 30's looking dudes that look like they don't skate and do a ton of coke running the show is never nice; lack of variety in sizes for trucks/decks; maybe selling decks you don't even have trucks for; etc.