Author Topic: Help with AWS boards!  (Read 2270 times)

joedv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Help with AWS boards!
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

I recently picked up a workshop deck.

what's your experience with the boards?

so far I've found the pop to be pretty fantastic (even though that's pretty inherent in new boards)

Also I love the shape. squarish tail with a full steep nose. How would you guys describe the shape of workshop boards? Have you found that shape to be consistent with all workshop boards? I just hope that in a month or two I'll be able to find a workshop board with that same shape.

answers are much appreciated
Carter, it is fucking friday, the fucking tenth

BDY

• Rep: -16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Help with AWS boards!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
alien boards are always good no matter the size the 8.25 shape is really good. on the other hand habitats seem to have a smaller tail id stick with aliens
I WASNT BEFORE AND IM STILL NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH

joedv

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »
alien boards are always good no matter the size the 8.25 shape is really good. on the other hand habitats seem to have a smaller tail id stick with aliens

I ride 8 inch boards. Would that mean that the workshop has a specific shape for the nose/tail for each size? because if so then I'd be happy to stick with their 8 inch boards

DevMo!

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »
^^
Alien's 8 inch shape is incredible.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:07:09 AM »
I've been skating an AWS deck for the last 3-4 weeks now, and it's awesome. I've never skated as good as the last weeks. Not saying its all because of the deck, but Im sure it helps

joedv

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
I guess to narrow down my main question, does aws have a specific shape that they use for their boards or do they vary?

b.v.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 07:58:02 AM »
They use a few different types of wood so you never know which series will be which wood.
Sounds like you got a ps stix one so before buying look on top by the truck holes and look for a serial # that starts with ps. If it's branded with an alien logo stay away those are the china boards and they suck ass.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
I pretty much just much ride AWS and Habitat. The Tyler Bledsoe 8.12 shape is perfect.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
b.v. is correct.  They do use at least 3 different wood shops.  Like he said, if it's ps stix there will be a stamp that looks like this over the front truck

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JCCgPJG1P98/SqB9ncU_hCI/AAAAAAAACWA/rv_jMdR3an8/s1600-h/P9020090.1.jpg

They also have some pressed at Bareback in Mexico and will have a made in mexico sticker.

Decks with no stamp of country sticker... imo it's safe to assume it's pressed in China.

The Bareback and Ps Stix boards feel fairly similar to me and their shapes are quite close as well.  fwiw, 95% of the boards I ride are Alien or Habitat.

Buddy G

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
b.v. is correct.?  They do use at least 3 different wood shops.

that's kind of ridiculous, they're not even pretending there's any such thing as an alien worksho board.

intothevoid

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »
If it's branded with an alien logo stay away those are the china boards and they suck ass.

Those are PS Stix decks, which are made in Mexico.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
alien boards are very good, i had a 7.875 and the shape was great. it also got run over by a taxi and didnt snap

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
Expand Quote
If it's branded with an alien logo stay away those are the china boards and they suck ass.
[close]

That's wrong.  The ones with no sticker and no PS serial number and just an alien logo burned is China.

joedv

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
thanks for the help guys! Also, does anyone have any information on the aws pricepoint 40 dollar boards?
They have one at the shop I work at and it has no markings or anything on the top

intothevoid

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's wrong.  The ones with no sticker and no PS serial number and just an alien logo burned is China.

Every Alien deck with the burned logo has the PS # beneath. No logo at all is China.

Cold Pizza

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
thanks for the help guys! Also, does anyone have any information on the aws pricepoint 40 dollar boards?
They have one at the shop I work at and it has no markings or anything on the top

You work at a skate shop?  By the looks of this thread you know little to nothing about skateboards......

b.v.

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Not true, we had several alien board with a burned logo and no serial number at my shop.

Every Alien deck with the burned logo has the PS # beneath. No logo at all is China.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Not true, we had several alien board with a burned logo and no serial number at my shop.

As a reference, it's this alien logo that is burned with no other marking and if there's a sticker, there's no country specified.

joedv

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You work at a skate shop?  By the looks of this thread you know little to nothing about skateboards......

not knowing the quality of the aws price points isn't indicative of knowing "little to nothing about skateboards" it's a question about a specific board

intothevoid

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

As a reference, it's this alien logo that is burned with no other marking and if there's a sticker, there's no country specified.

Got me there! All I was thinking about were the decks with the "key logo" burned into them.

b.v.

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
This is what I was speaking of. Avoid those boards like the plague.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »
Great board, my first was a used AWS, still kept it's pop and had few pressure cracks, great board

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

joedv

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »
has anyone found there to be any difference in quality between the bareback vs ps stix?

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
has anyone found there to be any difference in quality between the bareback vs ps stix?

I find them to be fairly similar.  The bareback ones I've had are a bit steeper and have a bit more concave.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
Any company that has their boards made in several completely different wood shops is lame. With a company like DLX at least I know that if I get any normal (non-budget) Real, Anti-Hero, or Krooked deck then the quality will be the same as the last one I had of that brand. Fuck looking for PRC stamps and different cryptic laser etchings, they should take pride in their product and make them all the same so the consumer knows what to expect. They don't sell based on quality, a lot of people buy the name, not because the quality is good.