Author Topic: Mo Goes - a level headed reminder  (Read 20057 times)

feeble warhorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Mo Goes - a level headed reminder
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
Steve-

Doesn't seem like the phone panned out too well, so I'll give it a shot here. To preface, I'm not really looking to get into a bunch of heated rhetoric about this, but I do feel like we should have some dialogue about this Mike Mo thing that's going on right now.

I'm not so na've as to think that he won't have his suitors over the course of time, nor am I going to try and deprive the guy of any opportunities he deems suitable for himself if he feels like the ones we provide aren't enough. However, I am a little taken aback about how aggressive and somewhat negative I understand the approach to have been.

On the one hand, I feel like the basic guideline for what we both do is 'for the skaters, by the skaters'. On the other, from what I've heard, some of what's being conveyed to Mike Mo is that Lakai will never be a company that can give him what's on offer outside of here. In essence, a sort of penalization for being run in a manner we both champion. A bit ironic.

I'm not saying Lakai is ever going to be a 500 million dollar company, but we've spent the better part of the last year fighting to get it somewhere it can be better than the third option, and we're finally in the closing stage of making that happen. Whereas in the past there may have been some non-skate element to help justify walking away from Lakai, that won't be the case going forward.
Even as a third option under pre-existing circumstance, Lakai has finally taken hold in the market and is showing great promise. Going forward, we're gong to bring in as many skateboarders as possible (employees and riders) to finally help us fulfill the potential we know is there. In doing so, I actually am confident we'll finally be able to grow to a level where we can give back to skateboarders and skateboarding comparably.

In closing, as I said before, I won't stand in the way of any decision Mike Mo decides to make when his contract expires at the end of the year. But I am asking that as someone who owns and runs a company under the same premise as us, that you reconsider before offering the idea that a skateboarder can't get the most out of skateboarding unless it's through a company that mostly profits outside of skateboarding.

As two people that are interested in keeping whatever commanding heights of the industry are left in the hands of skateboarders, I would like to think this is something we could both agree corresponds with our longer term ideals. If we truly want to get to a level where skate brands can provide the most for skateboarders, it seems like the overall message should be consistent no matter what the context.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:36:46 PM by feeble warhorse »

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
Re: Mo Goes - a level headed reminder
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
I quit reading when I noticed all your apostrophes were replaced with question marks. 

feeble warhorse

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
whoops, thanks for the heads up. Give it another try.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 384
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
Who is "feeble warhorse?"

feeble warhorse

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
just a friend passing along a message that I agree with

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
Da slap boreds arent 4 friends bud, zo fuck off guy

crailtapsill

• Rep: -26
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
yur big werdz really speak 2 me

Bertie

• Rep: 65
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
From who, to who?

Lakai is long overdue some good news.

mock nugget

• Rep: -12
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »
To me it seems like Mike Mo is being courted to leave Lakai for DC by Steve Berra, and Rick Howard or whoever owns/TMs Lakai is trying to tell him to reconsider.

Benny Hanna

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
Quote from: feeble warhorse ? link=topic=56837.msg1544095#msg1544095 date=1318634994
Steve-

Doesn't seem like the phone panned out too well, so I'll give it a shot here. To preface, I'm not really looking to get into a bunch of heated rhetoric about this, but I do feel like we should have some dialogue about this Mike Mo thing that's going on right now.

I'm not so na've as to think that he won't have his suitors over the course of time, nor am I going to try and deprive the guy of any opportunities he deems suitable for himself if he feels like the ones we provide aren't enough. However, I am a little taken aback about how aggressive and somewhat negative I understand the approach to have been.

On the one hand, I feel like the basic guideline for what we both do is 'for the skaters, by the skaters'. On the other, from what I've heard, some of what's being conveyed to Mike Mo is that Lakai will never be a company that can give him what's on offer outside of here. In essence, a sort of penalization for being run in a manner we both champion. A bit ironic.

I'm not saying Lakai is ever going to be a 500 million dollar company, but we've spent the better part of the last year fighting to get it somewhere it can be better than the third option, and we're finally in the closing stage of making that happen. Whereas in the past there may have been some non-skate element to help justify walking away from Lakai, that won't be the case going forward.
Even as a third option under pre-existing circumstance, Lakai has finally taken hold in the market and is showing great promise. Going forward, we're gong to bring in as many skateboarders as possible (employees and riders) to finally help us fulfill the potential we know is there. In doing so, I actually am confident we'll finally be able to grow to a level where we can give back to skateboarders and skateboarding comparably.

In closing, as I said before, I won't stand in the way of any decision Mike Mo decides to make when his contract expires at the end of the year. But I am asking that as someone who owns and runs a company under the same premise as us, that you reconsider before offering the idea that a skateboarder can't get the most out of skateboarding unless it's through a company that mostly profits outside of skateboarding.

As two people that are interested in keeping whatever commanding heights of the industry are left in the hands of skateboarders, I would like to think this is something we could both agree corresponds with our longer term ideals. If we truly want to get to a level where skate brands can provide the most for skateboarders, it seems like the overall message should be consistent no matter what the context.

Whut ?

bandini

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
I'm simultaneously confused, intrigued and disgusted.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
tl;dr

nylin

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »
I'm simultaneously confused, intrigued and disgusted.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
Quote from: feeble warhorse ? link=topic=56837.msg1544095#msg1544095 date=1318634994
Expand Quote
Steve-

[close]

Whut ?

It's from Kelly Bird's Facebook.

Dominic Hynard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »
In my opinion, Mike Mo wouldn't really suit DC, he seems like a DVS sort of person. But is not really gonna change that much, it's sill the same Mike Mo we all love and the same tricks, just different shoes/shirts.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
steve...remember that time you tried to steal rick's, 'real cool black guy....' line?

LazyEinstein

• Rep: -138
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
Who cares Mike Mo is wack. I said it before and I'll say it again. 1 good video part should not equal a pro status or a career in skateboarding. He deserves no shoe sponsor
because canadian skaters have no personality and the only people who will buy the boards are there friends and mom

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »
Who cares Mike Mo is wack. I said it before and I'll say it again. 1 good video part should not equal a pro status or a career in skateboarding. He deserves no shoe sponsor

well, this vid pretty much sums up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmdAAnAOuw&feature=related

LazyEinstein

• Rep: -138
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmdAAnAOuw&feature=related

So he pulls all the annoying gerbs, skate trolls, and kids 6 and under with scooters away for the actually demo to the parking lot?? I guess I can see now why skate teams would bring him. He helps keep the demo under control for the real skaters to watch the real pros. Doesn't mean he needs to be sponsored or pro.
because canadian skaters have no personality and the only people who will buy the boards are there friends and mom

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So he pulls all the annoying gerbs, skate trolls, and kids 6 and under with scooters away for the actually demo to the parking lot?? I guess I can see now why skate teams would bring him. He helps keep the demo under control for the real skaters to watch the real pros. Doesn't mean he needs to be sponsored or pro.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah kinda, but one the other hand ... kids buy EVERYTHING that has mo`s name on it ... + his youtube-fame.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Whos the guy behind the camera? i reaaaally hope he knows mo

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
Mike Mo is gnarly. I said it before and I'll say it again. 2 great video parts should be equal a pro status or a career in skateboarding. He deserves a great shoe sponsor
fixed

Edit:
Nike, etinies, or adidas. called it
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:46:48 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »

It was Nieratko and I assume he knows Mike Mo.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm liking your tumblr man. Good shit.

johnokagain

• Rep: 11
    • dirtsquad avatar image
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
He deserves no shoe sponsor

i don't know about that.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
this is weird

im probably lying

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
wow, weird to have someone like Bird go out in the open like that,...

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 786
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »
berra must have been ignoring his calls

i've been sick of berra for a while now, and i thought his exit from professional skateboarding would finally silence him a little bit, but it looks like his behind the scenes role is making him even more of a monster than before. 

get a grip on that ego cuz
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm liking your tumblr man. Good shit.

Thanks homie.

Here's Kelly Bird's profile where that e-mail came from: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=629372273&sk=wall . I guess he wrote that e-mail back in March and never heard back from this Steve (who I think we can assume is Berra).

G.Lewis

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 11:04:25 PM »
Skateboarding: come for the fun...stay for the drama.