Author Topic: Help convince these idiots in Georgia that they do not want a prefab park.  (Read 2407 times)

ZMASTA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
the dudes over at www.skatepark.org have a bunch of decent anti-prefab info and stuff you could use...
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Did my part.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Posted it on the wall instead of commenting on a post and was censored. Haha

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
The kid heading the charge seems to actually want a cookie cutter park. Hopefully he'll listen to some of us.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
I wouldn't go so far as to call them idiots though, just inexperienced and sounds like whoever is selling the ramps hooked them with the sales pitch. I like skating wood and metal ramps sometimes of course, but you can't beat 'crete.

marginal way

• making it happen
usually, when towns go prefab, it's because the park and rec department already has a relationship with the prefab vendors, since many of them also sell regular playground equpiment. (slides, swingsets, etc)

its a tough sell to try to convince a city to go with a skater staffed firm they don't know when for YEARS, the swingset salesman has been telling them his company has everything a skatepark needs... it sucks.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
Posted it on the wall instead of commenting on a post and was censored. Haha
Same here.  Good luck OP.  I'm pretty sure your fate is sealed.  Enjoy your playground I mean skatepark.

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
well, its Warner Robbins GA so this is about what i would expect - not a place i would be compelled to visit - although it is apparently known as "the international city" and designated the best place to raise a family in GA..  so they got that goin for them.  but all they need to do is look at the parks that have been built around the atlanta metro area in the past 10 years to see what people want and what is the norm in skatepark construction around here these days..  there are now at least 7 really nice concrete skateparks that are all free, no pads, unsupervised, and well built - within 30 minutes or so from atlanta.. one right smack in the city that the infamous grant taylor shreds to pieces on a daily basis..   if they build a pre-fab park out there in the boondocks nobody will notice really - except the poor little local kids who have nowhere else to skate..   for their sake i hope they dont blow it

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:05:36 PM by manbergur »

marginal way

• making it happen
they will. the prefabbers have preexisting relationships with the cities, and a pr machine that will convince them that building a concrete park is a huge mistake.

on the flip side, though, at least it's something to skate, and the fact that it sucks will help further encourage the kids in those hick areas to get the fuck out and see the world.

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
Re: Help convince these idiots in Georgia that they do not want a prefab park.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
yeh i know - ahh well - apparently the area is on the rise and was designated recently by wired magazine as one of the 12 small cities that are driving the "Knowledge Economy"..  which is interesting.. so maybe they will get smart one of these days and learn something about the skateboard community.. not likely, but hey..  and youre right, at least its a skatepark. and we can at least voice our opinions and lend our advice to help expend their knowledge a little bit more

FiftyScent

Re: Help convince these idiots in Georgia that they do not want a prefab park.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
eh what can ya do? like someone said earlier the city's already in bed with the equipment company, so convincing them to go w/ someone else would be one hell of a challenge. and im sure its WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper than making a full blown concrete park

pre-fab parks are pretty much all we have in my area. not the best but IF its built right theyll provide a nice place to skate. i dont have a problem skating metal ramps or anything its just that most of those parks arent set-up in the best way possible or theyre not in the best of areas. & since im on that subject...

Skate park fight