Author Topic: Mexico  (Read 957 times)

andersatan2552

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Mexico
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
This winter I'm planning a trip to Mexico, and as I've never been I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience skating down there. I will be staying in puerto escondido, oaxaca, and want to know what the pavement might be like and if it would be worth it to take my board. Also some one raised the question if the federales would fuck around with a couple of white kids skating around. Any tips would be great, cheers.

-anders

apad88

Re: Mexico
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
Good luck with the drug cartels

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
Not too sure about that particular area.  Generally the ground is hit or miss.  I'd say bring your board, it can't hurt.  As far as cops, I've been kicked out of a spot in a crowded square before in Mexico by some cops.  It wasn't a big deal but that's really all the expereince I have.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
I took the bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca a few years ago. Didn't really hit much else... Pochutla is definitely skateable. Mazunte is not. Didn't go to Puerto Escondido so I can't help you there. Oaxaca's pavement is generally not very good, but there are definitely some spots and there are a bunch of local skaters who were all very friendly.

Stay here. Tere is the best. http://www.lasmariposas.com.mx/

Local spot was conveniently located right up the street, Parque El Llano. Bring some 55mm+ wheels. The ground there makes a bag of gravel look like Barcelona.

Eat tasajo as often as possible. If you drink and smoke enough, your stomach should be strong enough to eat lettuce and tomatoes. I didn't get sick and I think rolling the dice was worth it. A ton of vendors sell bags of chips with salt and hot sauce all over 'em. Fuxx with that. Beer is mostly limited to shitty light beer, but that should be the least of your problems. Mezcal is good for making your eyes tear. Drink it often. Most people give it out at the end of a meal and you gotta slug it lest you offend them. Best food ever.

WHATEVER YOU DO, EAT HERE: Tlamanalli Address: Avenida Juarez 39, Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca. This will be the hardest restaurant to find that you will ever go to. Teotitlan del Valle is a weaving village a few miles away from Oaxaca City. Pretty sure we took a taxi there and got dropped at the mouth of the town. Then a bus periodically picks fools up from the side of the highway and takes them into the town. The streets are pretty much unlabeled, good luck. You will, however, be rewarded if you persevere. Oh, and firstly, bring a fucking suitcase full of money to this town because you will see the greatest rugs in your life and you will be eternally bummed if you don't buy one. I got basically a table runner cuz it was all I could afford, but there is just amazingly beautiful shit here. Pick up an heirloom for your future grandkids. So, you've worked up an appetite looking at rugs/trying to figure out where the fuck Avenida Juarez 39 is located, but once you have found it, you can let that frustration subside.

Two abuelas are about to make you the unquestionably single greatest meal you've ever had in your life. And it will take several hours. Don't worry. You will get drunk. And fed. And fed some more. Tortillas from scratch, so much so that the corn is ground to order. You will consume a great quantity of beer and amazing treats. Get psyched. Take a picture of your plate and post it to Instagram.

Yes, bring a skateboard, eat street meat (seriously, it's amazing), Monte Alban is tight to see, eat at Tlamanalli.

Check out this thread. That dude who replied adamjasoncohen listed his email, sounds like he knows a lot about the area. You should holler at that fool directly.

Cheers and good luck. It's so sick there!

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=29030.0
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.