Author Topic: Any tips or advice on  (Read 1423 times)

HeshSesh

• Stop hating on me!!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65531
Any tips or advice on
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
how to get better at skating transition?

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • Still Skating at 28, Hailey, Idaho area
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Any tips or advice on
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
skate it more.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
skate it more.

this ^

the more you skate something, the quicker you get used to it and learn how to do tricks on it.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
go faster.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Of course skate it more but in an effort to aftually be helpful:

If you're in a hurry, pad up. Especially wrist guards and knee pads, and getting used to falling into a knee-slide is like a trick in itself.

The reason I say pads is because you'll be more likely to seriously try to commit if the fall will hurt less, and you will fall a lot while you're getting comfortable on tranny. Other reasons are that you'll get hurt less so not as much downtime from injuries.

Other things to consider:

Take it slow, don't start trying to blast shit right away. Learn to pump properly forward and backward, then learn basic stalls, fakie rocks then fakie-tail and fakie disaster, and axel stalls. Learn ollie to tail stall before trying tailslides, etc.

Lastly, and in my opinion most importantly, try to learn on a medium sized ramp, not a small one. If you can drop in on a 3' ramp you can drop in on a 7'. I progressed most on tranny skating a 6' mini. Besides there being more transition to fall on so you don't always go straight to the flat, learning on a mid-sized ramp makes skating the little ones super easy. Oh, and if possible, learn on an actual mini ramp so you get used to the back and forth flow, hitting the lips repeatedly going forward and fakie, you'll get more comfortable more quickly. Don't be Quarterpipe Larry.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:14 AM »
go faster.

it sounds scary, but its true. i suck at transition, but as soon as i am man enough to get speed, it gets a lot easier.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »
Expand Quote
go faster.
[close]

it sounds scary, but its true. i suck at transition, but as soon as i am man enough to get speed, it gets a lot easier.

The going fast thing is true but it comes naturally when getting comfortable riding it so I wouldn't say "go faster" as a way to learn to skate tranny. If you're not going fast enough to get over the lip for example you won't be able to stand up on any grinds, you'll just scrape coping. But, when you learn to pump well you can keep a consistent adequate speed and pump a bit harder when setting up for an ollie or any kind of air. Baby steps, man.

For learning to skate tranny I wouldn't recommend just going super fast, you'll probably hurt yourself. Good luck.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Good thread. Anyways, learn how to pump harder, bank pumping and qp pumping are sort of different, also, it may be harder to commit to going frontside, so try and learn frontside wallrides on your local steep wall, that made it easier to commit to doing frontside grinds. And once you have frontside grind on lock, they open up a whole new world of frontside bodyjars, tailslides, and lipslides.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

grayham

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65
  • OMG TMI ;-)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
just think about it. and try. nuff said
8===D ~~~~ O-:

Chocolaterain

• Rep: -7
  • awesome
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 05:37:50 AM »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:04:54 AM »
on a bigger ramp (5' or more) learn to keep speed pumping and then move to smaller mellow ramp to start learning lip tricks

most of the tricks envolve transfering your weight so pay attention to that. for example a back smith stall is like a tweaked 5050 with weight on the ball of your back foot and toe of the front where a front smith stall is the opposite. just try to think about tricks that way.

another key is to pay attention to your body's position over the coping. there's really two postions

1 - over the ramp where your body weight is still in the transition like when you do a slash grind
2 - over the deck where your body weight is over the platform of the ramp like when you do a stand up grind

if you are over the ramp then going back into the transition is a two step process

1 - shift weight over the transition
2 - pivot back into the ramp

when you see new people slamming on 5050s it's generally because they pivot before transitioning their weight back in. on 50s you can actually do it really slow to get used to it. shift weight, pause, then pivot in. breaking it up helps a lot of people.

for a lot of other tricks it's mostly a matter of commitment. so for dropping in, fakie rocks, etc... you won't get a chance to bail, it's do or die. best advice is to pad up like someone above said (hip pads are probably a good idea) and just work through those first few slams. once you land one you'll most likely be good for life on the basic ones.

once you get more confident going fast definitely helps. watch cards for inspiration...

also when you bail\slam aim for an ass slide down the transition. fakie tricks don't allow for this but for any trick where you are carving if it goes wrong just aim your ass on the transtion and you'll be fine.