Author Topic: Dickies Skate  (Read 17678 times)

Murray Hewitt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Dickies Skate
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
Has Dickies always had a skate team?
Seems they've realized their popularity.

http://dickiesskate.com/index.php/riders/

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
Re: Dickies Skate
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
Vincent Alvarez
Kevin Terpening
Tom Remillard

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:29:36 AM »
Ah, shit. It has begun.

epicsaxguy

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
decent team, anyone else?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:01 AM »
i think dickies has sponsored skaters at various times before.  Carhartt also has had a skate team in europe since the 90s.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

A.J.K.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:30 AM »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
Support your local Walmart?

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 08:26:09 AM »
makes sense. i associate dickies more with skating than omit/famous/somethingsimilartothose

and what's up with carhart? i've noticed they do a lot of advertising at european skate contests, why not in america?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
i think its a whole separate entity.  probably run by different people.  carhartt europe is more fashion oriented, while carhartt america seems to be purely workwear.  i think they sponsor rodeo riders
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

b.v.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »
Put 1% spandex in dickies slim straights and you have the best pants ever.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »
Produced by Dan Watson

power moves

yescomply

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:40:27 AM »
Fully backing a dickies skate team. Carhartt is exremely skate related
Here in the uk as well as Europe there's such a good team for
Carhartt skate team.

I'm also really backing this new Levi's strreet wear/skate thing
I strictly wear 501s and it's gunna be nice to have a bit more give when skating

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
and what's up with carhart? i've noticed they do a lot of advertising at european skate contests, why not in america?

Isn't Olly Todd part of this?

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
Greco's supposedly gonna be on at the end of the year when his krew contract is up.

sophisto000

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
Fully backing a dickies skate team. Carhartt is exremely skate related
Here in the uk as well as Europe there's such a good team for
Carhartt skate team.

I'm also really backing this new Levi's strreet wear/skate thing
I strictly wear 501s and it's gunna be nice to have a bit more give when skating

what's the deal with the levi's thing? i've heard about it but see nothing anywhere about it.........

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
pretty sure that's greco in the yellow sweatshirt...

http://youtu.be/RQOL_lG6mcI

yeah thats greco, john fitzgerald, robbie russo, and donovon piscopo were also there. sick demo.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Greco's supposedly gonna be on at the end of the year when his krew contract is up.

backing it

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
carhartt has always been supportive for skateboarding n europe, sponsored skaters, tours and contests. they even did collabos with local skate brands and stuff.

G.Lewis

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
At least Dickies are affordable and durable.  Perfect for skating.

luficer

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
so Greco, Alvarez, John Fitzgerald Robbie Russo also on.

Mr Squiggle

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
Dickies Demo at Skatelab
Fucking sick team!

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
Yeah, Carhartt europe has just licensed the name, they are not really connected to the US workwear brand. One of my favorite brands.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck 50 dollar pants.

where are dickies 50 bucks?
or is that more a "fuck yeah dickies are great and cheap!!!"

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

FiftyScent

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck 50 dollar pants.

ive  never had a pair of "skate pants" in my life. all i know is cheap ass dickies & $20 levi's. id proudly rock some made-for-skating dickies

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
shit looks solid. and its cheap. gonna have to try some

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck 50 dollar pants.
[close]

The only $50 Dickies I've seen are the Spitfire/AH collab ones. Average price at most places in the US is still under $30.

To the guy who said "support your local WalMart," of the dozens of pairs of Dickies I've owned over they years only 1 came from WalMart, and they fit weird, like they were the rejects. Most of the time you get Dickies from independently owned shops that specialize in blue collar work clothes and from army surplus stores. Insinuating that Dickies is a WalMart brand is as incorrect as saying that Shaun White clothing is a legitate skate brand.

Skaters have been backing Dickies forever because they make comfortable and durable clothes so I'm glad to see them putting some money into our industry.

FiftyScent

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
At least Dickies are affordable and durable.  Perfect for skating.
[close]

fuck 50 dollar pants.
[close]

[close]

The only $50 Dickies I've seen are the Spitfire/AH collab ones. Average price at most places in the US is still under $30.

To the guy who said "support your local WalMart," of the dozens of pairs of Dickies I've owned over they years only 1 came from WalMart, and they fit weird, like they were the rejects. Most of the time you get Dickies from independently owned shops that specialize in blue collar work clothes and from army surplus stores. Insinuating that Dickies is a WalMart brand is as incorrect as saying that Shaun White clothing is a legitate skate brand.

Skaters have been backing Dickies forever because they make comfortable and durable clothes so I'm glad to see them putting some money into our industry.

id be interested to hear your thoughts about Nike
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:46:44 PM by FiftyScent »

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck 50 dollar pants.
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know you were being sarcastic but I'll bite.

My first thought about Nike- "thanks for the money." I've also heard they make good skate shoes but I have never owned a pair and probably won't ever. Maybe, like Nike, Dickies will profit from getting more involved, that's business. As long as they keep making good pants and the prices don't soar, then I welcome them with open arms. I really don't foresee any skate clothing companies going under because of Dickies having a team and sponsoring events, but some skate shoe brands would do better w/o Nike in the picture.

In short, I don't remember a time when Dickies and skating wasn't a good fit but I do remember when Nike wanted nothing to do with skateboarding and most skaters wanted nothing to do with Nike. I have a plethora of personal reasons why I won't give Nike my money, but I'll gladly skate the plazas they build and watch their videos, as long as I don't have to pay for any of it. In the end, as companies and as products, I don't think Nike and Dickies is a very fair comparison.

FiftyScent

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck 50 dollar pants.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know you were being sarcastic but I'll bite.

My first thought about Nike- "thanks for the money." I've also heard they make good skate shoes but I have never owned a pair and probably won't ever. Maybe, like Nike, Dickies will profit from getting more involved, that's business. As long as they keep making good pants and the prices don't soar, then I welcome them with open arms. I really don't foresee any skate clothing companies going under because of Dickies having a team and sponsoring events, but some skate shoe brands would do better w/o Nike in the picture.

In short, I don't remember a time when Dickies and skating wasn't a good fit but I do remember when Nike wanted nothing to do with skateboarding and most skaters wanted nothing to do with Nike. I have a plethora of personal reasons why I won't give Nike my money, but I'll gladly skate the plazas they build and watch their videos, as long as I don't have to pay for any of it. In the end, as companies and as products, I don't think Nike and Dickies is a very fair comparison.

old school vert dudes used to wear Jordan 1's & dunks all the time back in the day. before there was really a market for skate shoes alot of guys skated Nike Bs because they skated well.
when Nike stopped fucking with skateboarding in the past it was because that was when skateboarding was dead as fuck & they werent making money & nike skate shoes werent nearly as popular. people give em shit for that but why would they keep dumping money into a lost cause? VANS did that same shit but they get a pass for some reason because they did that shit BEFORE Nike then got back in the game & now they have that core image when they werent even a skateboarding company to begin with.

the only reason these other companies would do better w/o nike is because of the competition. alot of my favorite core shoe companies just dont make shoes as good as nikes. ive skated a ton of different brands and nike is by far the best, quality is gonna win everytime. they know how to make shoes. i love lakai & mike carroll but most of them shits is ass yo. & ive had multiple pairs. Nike & dickies is a perfectly fair comparison. theyre both apparel companies that started outside of skateboarding then got in the game.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
This argument is tired as shit. It doesnt matter who ditched skateboarding when or who is more core or any of that. It's all marketing. Nike had some skateable shoes out before SB and Dickies have been a skate staple since forever. These companies are just choosing to market to skaters in hopes of yanking some more dollars out of us.

Im wearing Dickies 874's and Kostons right now. Its working.