Author Topic: Berrics hate?  (Read 5204 times)

joedv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Berrics hate?
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
Can someone please shed light on the reason why people dislike the berrics?

They give exposure to lesser known skaters in recruits, bangins, and the bang yo self contest.

They advertise for a lot of skate shops through berrics unified.

They're a medium for smaller companies such as telegraph, traffic, ammo, blvd, voyage to pitch their brand and get their name out.

Hell, they even built a skate plaza where they film content for their site constantly where kids can go skate and see they're favorite pros consistently.

I know there's a resentment in the skate community to hate the bigger names (and often time there's a good reason for it), But they have done so much as a big name to help the smaller companies and skaters.

I personally think it's great that skateboarding has the berrics because they can use their popularity to promote lesser known skaters, skate shops, and brands so they can all get the attention they deserve

So I guess my question is, why has it become so safe to hate on them?
Carter, it is fucking friday, the fucking tenth

joedv

• Rep: -10
Re: Berrics hate?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »
because they suck
Carter, it is fucking friday, the fucking tenth

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
[insert silly picture with "This Thread Again?!?" scribbled on in with MS Paint]

Honestly, I don't know why it's "cool" to dislike Berrics. I never visited the site a lot but sometimes they have good skating clips; even some of their articles aren't too bad.

If I had a gripe with the Berrics it would be that since their inception, more specifically since BOTB started up, kids started playing SKATE 1000x more, using Berrics rules, and to the point where I see kids roll up to parks and good spots and play SKATE more than they actually skateboard. Technically that's not the Berrics' fault per se, but that's my personal gripe.

What goes on behind the scenes there, I don't know. What they've done to wrong skateboarding as a whole, I don't know that either. May e someone else does and can shed some light so that we can stop seeing a new "why hate the Berrics?" thread every 2 days.

Mr Squiggle

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »
Why would you put time into making a whole thread about this?
It's an indoor skatepark that looks fucking boring. I'm not saying it would be boring to actually skate the park youself (it's skateboarding, it will be fun anywhere), but really, putting out footage of people skating the same park, were they are forced to skate the same stuff over and over, what do you expect? It's going to get boring real quick. (they are also responsible for making regular slang popular e.g. buttery, steezy, banging, etc)

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »
who the fuck films video parts at a skatepark and still takes themselves seriously?

Mr Squiggle

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
who the fuck films video parts at a skatepark and still takes themselves seriously?
Also, when you get paid to go skateboarding every day of your life, spending all your time at a skatepark (and filming there) is such a waste of an opportunity most skateboarders would kill for.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Also, when you get paid to go skateboarding every day of your life, spending all your time at a skatepark (and filming there) is such a waste of an opportunity most skateboarders would kill for.

You make more money if you skate at the berrics. True story.

There are real reasons to hate on the berrics, but when you make that much content youre bound to offend a few people.

personally I don't mind it. Like.. you watch an Ad you want to see, to watch more skate content. and its totally free so yah.

foureyedjim

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
I think this "hate" is blown way out of proportion

I'm pretty sure most of the time when people say they "hate it" they're being more passive aggressive than being sincere.  

None of us are actually losing sleep over how much we "hate" the berrics.

I like some of their stuff, and find the other stuff cheesy.  As long as i don't get fazed by the constant bombardment of ads, it's just free skate clips to me soooo yeah.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »
i think it's mostly steve berra hate.  that's why i don't like it, anyway.  if biebel/ave/those other dudes had a site like that, i'd be stoked as shit on it.  berra taints things.

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »

juja

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

Its Berra hate, not Berrics hate...

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »

gino
where is home?

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
I dont like the shit berra writes before the videos and how offended koston gets when people hate on the berrics but i still enjoy watching its content.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 09:27:22 PM »
I think this "hate" is blown way out of proportion

I'm pretty sure most of the time when people say they "hate it" they're being more passive aggressive than being sincere.  

None of us are actually losing sleep over how much we "hate" the berrics.

I like some of their stuff, and find the other stuff cheesy.  As long as i don't get fazed by the constant bombardment of ads, it's just free skate clips to me soooo yeah.

I agree with this. Sadly, I have met people who LOVE the Berrics and watch that shit religiously, so maybe to someone who's a fanboy the "hate" is really someone being kind of impartial to it.

I also agree with the comment that it's more about people not liking Berra, the Berrics being a related but separate entity.

Ummmm... Thrasher, just to name another. I like watching Double Rock parts, generally much more than Berrics, but skateboarding is still skateboarding when it's done at a park. This whole hate on park footage just because it's at a skate park confuses me. There never used to be anything wrong with having park footage in a big part, and in my mind there's still nothing wrong with it.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »

We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

apad88

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 01:03:38 AM »

you probably had those sitting around on your computer huh?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you probably had those sitting around on your computer huh?

you know it sweet cheeks,
love your user name
 :-*
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

The Magnet Man

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
I had a dream about Berra last night.

Skate Edge

• Rep: -36
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »

Grant Taylor

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grant Taylor

touche.
I really meant a park like the Berrics, but still.

mbquant

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grant Taylor

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
i wish this topic would die.  i really do.

im probably lying