Author Topic: Buying clips off of filmers  (Read 864 times)

tag_king

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Buying clips off of filmers
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
So I work for a fairly large clothing company that I am trying to get a skate program going for. We have one kid that were are hooking up who is sitting on a lot of sick footage and I really want to release a free online part. Since its free and we are still trying to build awareness, there probably won't be a huge budget, but I want the filmer to not feel like he is getting shafted for the footage. Hopefully we can offer him something comparable, but I was wondering if anyone has any figures as to what pro filmers get for various levels of skaters footage. Thanks doods.

jerrys_kids

Re: Buying clips off of filmers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
I know one of my friends got offered 1,500 a month to film full time for Kayo Corp., I'm not sure if that's what you mean but thats the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

luficer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:42 AM »
large companies pay anywhere from 25-50 dollars per trick. It's great that you're considering the filmer.
If you have a small budget, I dont think it would be insulting to offer anywhere from 150-250 dollars for a two-three minute clip, however, you say you work for a large clothing company? If this company is seriously considering budgeting for a skate team, I would include ample and fair room in that budget for media.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
Yeah, its big and has money behind it, but the skate team was something I kind of spearheaded so I was allowed to give away some product, do some trips and what not. They aren't exactly relying on the success of the program to build their brand. Probably further down the line there will be more cash.

luficer

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »
that's understandable. I would try to sit down with any sort of Project Manager or whoever is backing you on the endeavor and write some sort of brief or presentation allowing them to understand how important media is in promoting their brand on the skateboard-end of things. This may expand the budget for you as well.

but to answer your question again, companies like DLX or TumYeto often pay around 25-50 dollars per trick depending on whether or not the video will be sold. Often times Online clips are rewarded with product or a lump sum after it's premier.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »
Yeah. I think a $200 lump for an edit should stoke the kid out who is filming. Thanks guys.