Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383022 times)

Hmmmm Nice Bike

Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #1380 on: April 02, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
Comedy Bang Bang

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #1381 on: April 02, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »
I’ll bet this has been covered but I started Season 1 of Love and I was stoked to notice Ed had BGP’s and now just got to Jason’s Dill cameo. Episode 4 for those who care.

i was getting into this one a few weeks ago but my wife decided she didn't like it and we dont watch it anymore. it was getting to the point in the first season where you really start to dislike both main characters, but I just wanted to see where it was going to go.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1382 on: April 02, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
They are arcurately unlikeable though so I give it a pass....Bertie is hot too....

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1383 on: April 02, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
They are arcurately unlikeable though so I give it a pass....Bertie is hot too....

Im rewatching all 3 seasons, I love how people are constantly clowning on Gus at the movie studio.

+1 on Bertie, she's got some good one liners too.   Couple of scenes in season 3 where Mickey actually looks fuckable

probably one of my favorite shows right now, show has me dying laughing at times

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #1384 on: April 02, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »
Unfortunately they canned it, the third season was the show's last one

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #1385 on: April 03, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
That sucks but I think it ran its course.....I like the characters and after you get to know them the magic is kinda lost....and it just gets more annoying.....if it went on...they would more or less repeat their shit....Apatow will produce something similar before you know it.

I'm more bummed Flaked is done....but that one had an ending too.

It's voyeuristic for me because I know people like them, but make an effort to stay at an arms length from them because....they are trouble. 

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #1386 on: April 03, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »
Finally started watching Shameless, holy smokes I feel like a dummy putting it off for so long. My girl and I have ripped through the first 2 seasons in about a week's time, trying to slow down as to prolong it but it's so good.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1387 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
Couple of scenes in season 3 where Mickey actually looks fuckable

she must be a total bombshell in season three because she looked totally fuckable to me in all the parts in season one i saw.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1388 on: April 04, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
I barely got through season 1 because of reason mentioned above. It's the same reason I didn't watch the rest. But yeah, Mickey, sign me up.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #1389 on: April 04, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Finally started watching Shameless, holy smokes I feel like a dummy putting it off for so long. My girl and I have ripped through the first 2 seasons in about a week's time, trying to slow down as to prolong it but it's so good.
Smart move I ran through the seasons super quick and regretted it

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1390 on: April 06, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »
i didn't have much hope for the new season of trailer park boys but i read some stuff online and people seemed to enjoy it the most out of all the netflix seasons. i've watched 5 or 6 episodes and the only laugh i got was mr. lahey's straw hat with the green gambling visor on the front.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #1391 on: April 07, 2018, 06:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

US or UK version?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #1392 on: April 07, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
I really like Paul Rust, Gillian Jacobs, and Claudia O'Doherty, but I didn't even make it all the way through the first season of Love. Gillian's been gorgeous since the start of Community though, not sure what Abyss is talking about.

Stuff I've enjoyed on Netflix this past week: Moon, The Road, Metropolis, Hot Fuzz (watched for like the dozenth time), Wind River (written and directed by the guy who wrote the screenplays for Sicario and Hell or High Water), and Tower.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzNkfgM1vE

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #1393 on: April 08, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

US or UK version?

I've been watching the US version, I'll check out the UK one eventually. I have had a number of people say they are pretty different, sort of divisive in that sense.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #1394 on: April 10, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
The Iron Giant is still a really fun movie to watch. Highly recommended for Slappers with kids. Probably Vin Diesel's best role.

SOTY

« Reply #1395 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
Monty Python's Life of Brian, Meaning of Life

calvinsdream

« Reply #1396 on: May 10, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
The Rain is pretty good if you liked the 20% of the walking dead that was watchable.

abraham linksys

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1397 on: May 11, 2018, 03:04:53 AM »
evil genius is pretty good
it's about the pizza bomber heist
only 4 episodes tho so you'll probably watch it in
one sitting just like I did

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #1398 on: May 12, 2018, 12:46:42 AM »
kinda into the Santa Clarita diet, its not the best show ever but its super easy to watch

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1399 on: May 12, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
Not on Netflix, but The Terror on AMC is my favorite show going right now.  Amazing acting and setting, really cool blending of a true story with fiction.  Somebody said it's "the Thing meets Master and Commander" and I'd say that's pretty spot on. 

I heard that show Babylon Berlin is really good.  Anybody check it out yet?

Watching the Handmaids Tale on Hulu with the lady... I really enjoyed the first season, but now the second season it's starting to bore me.  I mean how long can they drag this out for?  Eventually something has to change in the storyline.

Been watching The Wiggles with my kid (fuck you, he's only 1).  Is Emma cute?  I don't know.  Songs will drill itself into your brain that you hate it so much you start to like it. 

ER on Hulu... mindless stuff to watch when half asleep or staring at my phone.  Maura Tierney is a babe.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1400 on: May 14, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »
Watching the Handmaids Tale on Hulu with the lady... I really enjoyed the first season, but now the second season it's starting to bore me.  I mean how long can they drag this out for?  Eventually something has to change in the storyline.

Ditto. It seemed like a totally different show to us. Very thin on plot. It's so obvious that they ran out of source material.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

feedmeseymour

« Reply #1401 on: May 23, 2018, 07:48:28 AM »
we're in luck, netflix now has cube and cube 2: hyper cube.

EDIT: also if you havent seen the documentary series wild wild country on some crazy cult shit that happened in oregon i suggest you get on that.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1402 on: May 23, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
Not on Netflix, but The Terror on AMC is my favorite show going right now.  Amazing acting and setting, really cool blending of a true story with fiction.  Somebody said it's "the Thing meets Master and Commander" and I'd say that's pretty spot on. 

Been watching The Wiggles with my kid (fuck you, he's only 1).  Is Emma cute?  I don't know.  Songs will drill itself into your brain that you hate it so much you start to like it. 

ER on Hulu... mindless stuff to watch when half asleep or staring at my phone.  Maura Tierney is a babe.

Is it actually lovecraftian or just alludes to it a lot? A coworker has been watching it and I get the vibe that it SEEMS like at the mountains of madness but is just a frozen boat

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1403 on: May 23, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it actually lovecraftian or just alludes to it a lot? A coworker has been watching it and I get the vibe that it SEEMS like at the mountains of madness but is just a frozen boat

Well I've never read At The Mountains of Madness so I'm not 100% sure, but based on the wikipedia it does sounds like it was an influence on the book, The Terror. 

The book is based on a true story of an expedition to go through the northwest passage... apparently the boats (and crews) disappeared and it's been a mystery ever since.  The book came out and tells the true story and throws in a fiction element which sounds like Lovecraft. 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1404 on: May 23, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
If you liked Gomorrah, check out Romanzo Criminale on Amazon.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1405 on: May 25, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Well I've never read At The Mountains of Madness so I'm not 100% sure, but based on the wikipedia it does sounds like it was an influence on the book, The Terror. 

The book is based on a true story of an expedition to go through the northwest passage... apparently the boats (and crews) disappeared and it's been a mystery ever since.  The book came out and tells the true story and throws in a fiction element which sounds like Lovecraft.

Ah okay I didn't know it was based on a book/true story I only knew what my coworker told me about it.

Also "Evil Genius" should've been called "Stupid person"

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #1406 on: May 26, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »
Ozark is pretty good.  Season 1 finale was kinda meh though.  Def has some Breaking Bad vibes, just not as extreme or humorous.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1407 on: June 03, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »
Ali Wong's "Baby Cobra" special on netflix was one of the best standups I've seen in a really long time. I had never heard of her before and I was laughing my ass off. She has another one that's newer that I haven't finished yet, but so far the first one is a lot better.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #1408 on: June 03, 2018, 03:02:03 PM »
Ali Wong's "Baby Cobra" special on netflix was one of the best standups I've seen in a really long time. I had never heard of her before and I was laughing my ass off. She has another one that's newer that I haven't finished yet, but so far the first one is a lot better.
That bit she has about fucking skaters is gold.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1409 on: June 06, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
The Netflix western miniseries Godless was good.

I enjoyed it quite a bit although it plays more like an 8 hr movie than a series: that is, the plot could probably be summarized in 3 sentences but you spend time with a lot of characters and it takes its time with a few side plots.

I suppose that's what a miniseries is although it just feels a bit less dense than a lot of what's out there now.