Author Topic: Would you buy a screen printed deck?  (Read 2921 times)

rabblesoft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Would you buy a screen printed deck?
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
Would you buy a deck that is:

-screen printed 2-3 colors between trucks
-american wood
-not dipped
-nice artwork/graphic
-"good" shape

-$35-40 bucks comes with hardware and stickers.  Or do you suggest a different price, keep in mind that it would be of a graphic you found appealing.
What have YOU done with your life?

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
Re: Would you buy a screen printed deck?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
absolutely, if it's anywhere from 8.25-8.5
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »
have and probably will continue to..

steve martin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
The graphic is not the reason I get a deck. That shape and size is what I go after.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »

-american wood (depends on the manufacturer, there's a few shitty American wood shops out there).
-"good" shape

-$35-40 bucks comes with hardware and stickers.  Or do you suggest a different price, keep in mind that it would be of a graphic you found appealing.

I left the only 2 things that matter.

Screenprinted as opposed to what? I'm wondering if you're confusing the term "screenprint" because it's not like it's an uncommon thing to do. At all.

rabblesoft

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
Expand Quote

-american wood (depends on the manufacturer, there's a few shitty American wood shops out there).
-"good" shape

-$35-40 bucks comes with hardware and stickers.  Or do you suggest a different price, keep in mind that it would be of a graphic you found appealing.

[close]

Screenprinted as opposed to what? I'm wondering if you're confusing the term "screenprint" because it's not like it's an uncommon thing to do. At all.

Screen-print as in the ink was transferred via screen and not a heat-transfer, the ink smears into the wood.  The more colors for the graphic, the more screens and the cost of the board to make, thats why I mentioned a dope graphic, it may not be that colorful but appealing and at least 2-3 colors.  All pro boards are heat transfers, its like a buck a sheet and an expensive machine.....I was wondering if a nice hot heatgun would apply it.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:23:49 AM »
Screenprinting was the original way of applying artwork to boards, but has fallen out of favor to digital transfer.  Some have a nostalgia for screenprint; I think it was Mark Mckee who released an "artist" board and offered both processes.

Good luck with the company.  I had a buddy who pressed boards for awhile.  His biggest order was from Eastern Europe where skate shit is crazy expensive, might be a market to consider.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

-"good" shape

-$35-40 bucks comes with hardware and stickers.  Or do you suggest a different price, keep in mind that it would be of a graphic you found appealing.

[close]

[close]

Screen-print as in the ink was transferred via screen and not a heat-transfer, the ink smears into the wood.  The more colors for the graphic, the more screens and the cost of the board to make, thats why I mentioned a dope graphic, it may not be that colorful but appealing and at least 2-3 colors.  All pro boards are heat transfers, its like a buck a sheet and an expensive machine.....I was wondering if a nice hot heatgun would apply it.

I know what screen printing is, I'm just confused about why someone would see screen printed graphics as a negative thing. With one of the companies I worked with, we used a circular 6 color press (drop screen, pull squeegee, raise screen, rotate to next screen/color, repeat), which was commonplace for the time. A lot of companies still screen print, you can see it in the graphics, and for some it's their only method of application, especially with some smaller DIY companies that can't invest in the heat transfer equipment.

The company we get boards from now does the graphics, and they can do screen print or heat transfer. We get them screenprinted with one color (white) over a red bottom ply which provides the second layer to the art (outline, background, etc.). It's simple, and I love the way the boards look.

Point is, there's nothing wrong with screenprinting, which is why the question confused me at first. Someone would have to be pretty retentive to actually have a preference for how the graphics are applied as long as, like you said, they look cool. I personally don't need super detailed and perfect artwork on my board, it's going to get destroyed. If anything I like a good classic color scheme though, so even when the nose/tail/middle are scratched up, the board retains some kind of visual appeal, if that makes sense.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:59:11 AM by BlackEye77 »

rabblesoft

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »
You are missing my point.  Its not about the method its about how my graphic wont be as intense as I will have to limit the colors to 2-3.  With a heat-transfer you can go all out and do whatever.  This was my question of concern, business wise if it will be a negative on buyer's end, knowing thier usual selection are all heat-transfer decks.  Yea some simple high-selling decks like the BAKER logo deck, that could have been screenprinted and nobody would care or be able to tell.  But when it comes to a more detailed graphic...which will have not that many colors...will this be an issue?

Another issue is that the graphic would only be between the trucks...but I think that should suffice and be enough room for the graphic...depending on the screen I think it can be between the tail/nose.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
pandarelated's company Open Skateboards does screens... I reviewed one a while back. I think most people that have been on board a while prefer the way screenprinted decks get a little better/slippier for a bit instead of just buffing off the surfaces (unless you only skate super waxed stuff). More limitations on graphics, but the slides are superior.