Author Topic: Unpleasant pro/am encounters  (Read 25001 times)

Pearl

Re: Unpleasant pro encounters
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
At a Flip demo in Minneapolis, Tom Penny signed an autograph for my friend, then asked him where he could pay for some pussy in this city.

SteamyRayVaughan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »

One time Rowley stopped me on the street and asked for the time. I FUCKING TOTALLY GAVE IT TO HIM.

daaamn too funny.
Dirty Billy at a demo back in the day. His girlfriend at the time was there, and he spent most of the time with her. I can understand now; maybe he had personal shit going on, or it was rough with her, but at the time I was kinda bummed that he was so disconnected and uninterested in everything else around him

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
At a Flip demo in Minneapolis, Tom Penny signed an autograph for my friend, then asked him where he could pay for some pussy in this city.

and the legend of Tom Penny continues
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »
I once got gangbanged by Andy Roy and Fabian Alomar. It was my fault really, I was dressing too seductively, so there were no hard feelings.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:48:12 AM by Bronson »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 09:50:37 AM »
I once got gangbanged by Andy Roy and Fabian Alomar. It was my fault really, I was dressing too seductively, so there were no hard feelings.

no hard feelings maybe, but something else...

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
tony trujillo came up to me at a bar once & grabbed my earphones that were hanging off my sweater collar & asked what i was listening to as he put them up to his ears, i jokingly said "bad shit" & he was like "sure you aren't" and walked off.

also on a different night, my friend came up to him & showed him that he was riding a tnt board, trujillo was all like whatever.

we laughed both times.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
Yeah i know they are just regular people but they know they have fans and shit and if someone comes up to them and says something along the lines of you shit i really like your skating it doesnt seem like a huge deal for them to be like oh thanks i appreciate it. I know a lot of pros arent dicks and it makes me like them a lot more. If im skating a part and happen to land a not shitty trick and a kid says that was cool i thank them not look at them like uhhh who are you.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
He's not a pro, but Joe Buffalo from Montreal was real sketchy one night.  I skated with him one day with a bunch of people in Montreal and he was super chilled out.  So two days later I go out to a bar and see him there and I just say "yo what's up Joe?" and he fucking freaks out.  Like yelling and swearing.....I'm pretty sure he was hopped up on drugs cause he was totally different two days earlier. 

Sneakmin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
Saw Torey Pudwill out front of an airport one time, waiting for the plan b fellas. I said what's up to him and commented on how his last dvs part was sick. That dudes dudes dudes one.  He was cool and offered me a smoke.  I asked him what the fuck he was doing out here in Canada in September. He Said it was for some big cash money contest that was going on. I said well good luck man, we pounded knuckles and I finished my smoke. Thrilling!

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
Elissa Steamer stepped on my foot once. She was wearing heels. She said sorry, though

I was drunk at a bar and saw Brian Anderson sitting by himself.  I went up to him in hopes of striking up a conversation (I was doing most of the talking, fanning out mostly). After about a minute or two, he gets off his stool and says he needs to step out of the bar to smoke a cigarette
FYI: this particular bar ALLOWS smoking indoors. He's a local there too, so he was most definitely aware of this fact, ahahah

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:21:59 AM by Nancy Chin The Manicurist »

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
Saw Torey Pudwill out front of an airport one time, waiting for the plan b fellas. I said what's up to him and commented on how his last dvs part was sick. That dudes dudes dudes one.  He was cool and offered me a smoke.  I asked him what the fuck he was doing out here in Canada in September. He Said it was for some big cash money contest that was going on. I said well good luck man, we pounded knuckles and I finished my smoke. Thrilling!

this encounter sounds pleasant, not unpleasant.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
One time Dyet came into my bar. That dude has a personality like sandpaper.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »
At the ASR trade show in san diego circa 2006, they had this matix "rack a few" handrail contest. During practice, I approached jereme rogers and told him to do a tre flip (cus I heard he couldn't do regular tre flips). He looked at me like I was a dumbass and skated away.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • &#9830;&#65039;&#9827;&#65039;&#9829;&#65039;&#9824;&#65039;
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
some skaters act like dickeahd pros where im from, but ive met FUCK ALL professionals in out choosen XTREME SPORTZ INDUSTRY.
No pros really come here
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
was it when you told him that some trick he did at some contest was kinda cool and he responded: "Yeah, I should have won"?
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

similar and also not unpleasant: we were at a Flip demo in Germany chilling outside by ourselves, van rolls up and part of the flip team jumps out. penny approached us and cried super-mumblish something like: yo guys, you got some weed... we had none
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
i met jereme rogers. he told me to keep it down.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
similar and also not unpleasant: we were at a Flip demo in Germany chilling outside by ourselves, van rolls up and part of the flip team jumps out. penny approached us and cried super-mumblish something like: yo guys, you got some weed... we had none

I've posted this before, but you reminded me and It always makes me laugh. My friend is a deals drugs in Barca and one time PJ Ladd asked him for an eighth and for some reason he gave him his shittiest one haha

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
was it when you told him that some trick he did at some contest was kinda cool and he responded: "Yeah, I should have won"?

Yeah, it was the week after the California Maloof contest when they had the Rincon big 4. The Dew tour was in Portland that weekend so a lot of Pros came in that night but, Dyet was the first one I noticed.

So I was like "hey man, aren't you Adam Dyet?"
"yeah bro"
"Cool. I saw that Maloof contest last week. That 540 you did on the volcano was pretty cool. Didn't expect to see that in a street contest"
"Yeah bro. I should've won that fucking contest"
"right"

That's when I walked away and got back to work. I got to watch a lot of those dudes get drunk over the course of the night. Dyet just carries himself like a douche. I also learned that night that Ryan Descenzo looks like he's always nervous, and Fabrizo Santos is a chill mother fucker.

Just for comparison these are the results for that contest.
1. Chris Cole 286.33 points $100,000
2. Nyjah Huston 281.67 points $40,000
3. Sean Malto 281.33 points $25,000
4. Torey Pudwill 274.67 points $15,000
5. Tommy Sandoval 260.67 points $6,000
6. Bastien Salabanzi 258.67 points $5,000
7. Ryan Decenzo 255.33 points $4,000
8. Justin Brock 250.33 points $3,000
9. David Gonzalez 246.67 points $2,500
10. Billy Marks 239.67 points $2,000
11. Jake Duncombe 237.33 points $1,500
12. Garrett Hill 233.67 points $1,500

Yeah, you were gonna beat Nyjah, and Cole? Sure.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I've posted this before, but you reminded me and It always makes me laugh. My friend is a deals drugs in Barca and one time PJ Ladd asked him for an eighth and for some reason he gave him his shittiest one haha

an eighth-ounce should weigh 3.5 grams or more always.  "shittiest one", you fucking people give drug dealers a bad name.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
tony trujillo came up to me at a bar once & grabbed my earphones that were hanging off my sweater collar & asked what i was listening to as he put them up to his ears, i jokingly said "bad shit" & he was like "sure you aren't" and walked off.

also on a different night, my friend came up to him & showed him that he was riding a tnt board, trujillo was all like whatever.

we laughed both times.

What did you want from him, a cookie and a handshake? A "thank you" because you bought his board? Once again, this sounds like approaching someone in a weird way, destroying all possibility for a response that isn't awkward.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »
one time after an axion demo i went up to pat chinita to say what's up and he just looked at me and said "where's the bathroom?" then he skated away before i could tell him
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »
One time I waved at Dave Bachinsky and he didn't wave back. So I pretended I was waving to someone behind him to make him feel like a dick.

dankradschwag

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
i told matt pailes i liked his satori part and he told me jack sabback's part, who was standing next to him, was better. jack and i just nodded to one another, it was kinda weird.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
i told matt pailes i liked his satori part and he told me jack sabback's part, who was standing next to him, was better. jack and i just nodded to one another, it was kinda weird.
Damn what an asshole.

ShitUnot

• Rep: 1
  • Slappie to Fakie
    • shitunot1 blogspot avatar image
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
My first trip to LA (from Australia), stayed with Casey Rigney (super nice guy) and we went skating at that long Chinatown Ledge.� Some Girl dudes and some heads (Lee Smith, Enrique) were there skating. I was pretty starstruck so went and sat to watch them rip.� York singled me out, yelled 'Yo white shirt, you gotta leave' even though there were 4 or 5 other random dudes chilling.� I ignore him so he throws something at me.� After a while I get up and start skating a little, I go up and say what's up to York.� He plays it off 'Oh you know, I gotta act like a dick' or some shit... Not a cool introduction to LA.
This does not surprise me at all. Casey is one of the best dudes ever and york is the worst. I have seen York get chased out of a skatepark by all the locals for being a dick.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
My senior year in high school a friend of mine and I ran into Allen Iverson and we tried to get him to sign our boards.  He wouldn't do it, so we walked out into the street and started shouting, "Allen Iverson is right here!"

best story yet...
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
Clark Hassler shot a rubber band at me. I was cool with it.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Chris

• Rep: -15
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
Mike V kicked me out of a demo for not paying a $30 entrance fee. Svitak on the other hand was cool.

letemsk8

• Rep: 1
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »
I was in a band years ago that got some sizable recognition and sometimes when I would be at a store or a bar I would have people approach me and fan out. While I was always courteous and appreciative of their comments I also felt simultaneously really uncomfortable. I was just a regular dude with regular friends who was shitty at playing guitar and strangers would talk to me like I had some super secret inside knowledge of all things cool.

I definitely think that's how a lot of pro skaters probably feel when they get approached. Generally speaking, most skaters/musicians are usually pretty introverted and humble. That's why they get into it in the first place. Silent expression. So when strangers approach them and super-fan out it's just weird cause they just see themselves as a regular person and no one deserving of praise.

And bottom line, it all comes down to whether or not the person is a douche or not in everyday, real life to whether or not they will give off memorable, positive vibes when a fan interaction occurs. If they are a socially-regular dick head than you're probably not going to get a "Thanks bro you rock!" but if they are a people person who are normally down to chat it up with strangers then it will probably be a cool experience.

I think no matter how tempting, if a situation arises where you can speak with your favorite pro it's best to resist the urge and only do it if you have a mutual "in". If not, it's probably going to end bad and inadvertently sour your thinking of them. Best not to risk it.

Side note: Peter Hewitt was skating my local pool spot with Omar Hassan one day when I rolled up. Those dudes are two of my all-time favorites and I resisted the overwhelming urge to approach them and I just turned around and bailed. It was like walking to the park to shoot hoops and seeing Kobe and Lebron playing one on one. I got nothin.