Author Topic: Unpleasant pro/am encounters  (Read 24995 times)

cornholio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
Unpleasant pro/am encounters
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
One time at asr i asked matt allen for an autograph for some reason and he said no... im glad he fell off. Anyone have an encounter that didnt go well?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:16:59 PM by cornholio »

Skate Edge

• Rep: -36
Re: Unpleasant pro encounters
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »
Who the hell is Matt Allen?

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »
 . . . dude was never pro, either.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
Children who are flow trash that you skate better than are simply trash.
Other than that I only met Heath and Levi Brown and they were too nice.

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »
I never had a bad encounter, but I saw Mike Carroll one day in SF, while I was skating around the Embarcadero with a few buddies. So some little kid asked to take a picture with him, Mike said "sure, hold up one second"...walked off and never saw him again...hahahaha

HOUSTON, TEXAS!

foureyedjim

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »
Saw jerry hsu at a music festival in saratoga.  My friend, who was socially regular at the time, thought it would be cool to walk up to him and start a conversation with the typical "do you know [mutual acquaintance]?"  Hoping to establish some sort of friendship lolol

That "mutual friend" happened to live really close to me, and he later informed me that Jerry found the whole situation to be weird and awkward.  I probably looked like a kook as well...so embarassing...ahahah

Matty T

• Rep: 54
  • You don't stand a chance.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »
I hit my chin skating in front of Chris Senn.  Does that count?
Would you ever let a chick piss on you? I would do it in a fuckin' heartbeat.

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »
Pro or amateur then if you wanna get all techical...

apad88

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:10:59 AM »
dunno if I posted this in an other thread but I once saw Daryl Angel at Sunnyvale and I told him I liked his Origin part and he looked at me like "Wtf" and skated off. I was pretty bummed. 

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »
my close friend was pretty stoked on richie belton. we met him at the strange world premiere in encinitas and my friend approached him in a cool, non-starstruck way, really mellow. he was all "sup richie, you working on anything right now?"
and belton just gave him a cold stare, gave him the "wtf" douche-look, and walked off with slash figgy and those nskrue guys.
i guess hes too cool.
such a fuckin wanker and a bummer, we hated him after that.

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:46:29 AM »
Had to stop Huf from stabbing my friend with a pocketknife at this afterparty back in 97.
My friend was drunk beyond oblivion tho and was annoying as hell.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »
my close friend was pretty stoked on richie belton. we met him at the strange world premiere in encinitas and my friend approached him in a cool, non-starstruck way, really mellow. he was all "sup richie, you working on anything right now?"
and belton just gave him a cold stare, gave him the "wtf" douche-look, and walked off with slash figgy and those nskrue guys.
i guess hes too cool.

whats the last footage from that dude? I dont remember.

dunno if I posted this in an other thread but I once saw Daryl Angel at Sunnyvale and I told him I liked his Origin part and he looked at me like "Wtf" and skated off. I was pretty bummed. 

Probably a bad day for him, he's chill for sure.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

projectBNE

• Rep: 47
    • Project Distribution avatar image
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »
My first trip to LA (from Australia), stayed with Casey Rigney (super nice guy) and we went skating at that long Chinatown Ledge.  Some Girl dudes and some heads (Lee Smith, Enrique) were there skating. I was pretty starstruck so went and sat to watch them rip.  York singled me out, yelled 'Yo white shirt, you gotta leave' even though there were 4 or 5 other random dudes chilling.  I ignore him so he throws something at me.  After a while I get up and start skating a little, I go up and say what's up to York.  He plays it off 'Oh you know, I gotta act like a dick' or some shit... Not a cool introduction to LA.
Project Distribution (AU)

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 03:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote
i guess hes too cool.

[close]

whats the last footage from that dude? I dont remember.

you haven't seen the Shake Junt video, Tate? he has a good amount of footy in the Green Room section

1:00
Shake Junt - green room

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:16 AM »
only net a few pros but theyve all been super nice people, infact nick jensen was the only one who didn't have the time to chat normalities with me but ive got nothing against that as it looked like he was in a rush and it was raining.

Harem

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:02 AM »
matt mumford told me to fuck off.

Story?

Will you fast-forwad any Mat Mumford video part now?

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 06:14:51 AM »
I saw Justin Brock at a bar and told him I was a big fan and dude looked at me like I was crazy as fuck.  I'm just going to assume that he was drunk or something.

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »
i saw nyjah at tampa pro like a year or two ago and told him he was killing it in practice....he just looked down at his phone and started texting

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »
Imagine being approached by a random person and having them tell you how awesome you are, and how big of a fan they are.  Pro skateboarders are just dudes, and will be as weirded-out by a forced and unusual social interaction as anyone would be.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 07:09:49 AM »
i saw nyjah at tampa pro like a year or two ago and told him he was killing it in practice....he just looked down at his phone and started texting

perhaps his dad forbid him from speaking to anyone until the contest had ended. he may have been typing a message on his phone to show you as a loophole

Extremely Sorry

• Rep: -2
  • Harsh.
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
I met Jamie Thomas once at a demo, we actually talked for a while but as soon as I asked him about the leap of faith he told me to fuck off and speed walked away from me as if I was a disease. WTF is up with that guy?  :-\

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

perhaps his dad forbid him from speaking to anyone until the contest had ended. he may have been typing a message on his phone to show you as a loophole

Ugh, awful thought, but could very well be true.

I think I've avoided these unpleasant encounters by simply not talking to pros I didn't know. Unpleasant and awkward silence is much better. I once took a car ride with Tony Hawk (!) and Willy Santos, ate some Taco Bell with them, rode back, and I don't remember saying anything to them.

I was still psyched as fuck just to see them in person.

The moral of the story is: Just STFU and eat your damn burrito.

Soty2020

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »
you guys are the reason pros get bummed out on being pro and fall off.  dont speak unless spoken to while encountering pros, most pros just want to mind their own business and keep to themselves

steve martin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
I was really super stoned one day in hollywood. To stoned to skate and I went for a walk around hollywood high and highland. Long story short I saw Jamie Thomas skating around hollywood high. Went up to him and gave him the whatup nod. He looked down and gave me a look similer to this  :( ::) :-\. I had on sandles and cut off jeans on at the time though...He had long hair at the time and looked like jesus with tight pants.

minnesotanice

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
Imagine being approached by a random person and having them tell you how awesome you are, and how big of a fan they are.  Pro skateboarders are just dudes, and will be as weirded-out by a forced and unusual social interaction as anyone would be.

They are just dudes.... that are amazing at something we all love to do, watch and are obsessed with. There's no reason they can't at the very least say thanks and walk away

superslopp

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »
one time i thought it would be funny to annoy the fuck out of geoff rowley, so he punched me and broke my nose. it was pretty cool

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
One time when I was 14 Ryan Sheckler had all these girls around him at this demo and I couldn't get past to get a free redbull so I shouted 'YOU ARE A CUNT' at him, not sure he heard though

Also David Gonzales is a moody prick
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:13:49 AM by Grubby Mits »

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »
one time i thought it would be funny to annoy the fuck out of geoff rowley, so he punched me and broke my nose. it was pretty cool

One time Rowley stopped me on the street and asked for the time. I FUCKING TOTALLY GAVE IT TO HIM.

Word UP BITCHES!

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
Casey Rigney is a swell guy.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »
I saw Justin Brock at a bar and told him I was a big fan and dude looked at me like I was crazy as fuck.� I'm just going to assume that he was drunk or something.

Brock is a super nice guy, this is probably a situation like Fenzadill mentioned.

Imagine being approached by a random person and having them tell you how awesome you are, and how big of a fan they are. �Pro skateboarders are just dudes, and will be as weirded-out by a forced and unusual social interaction as anyone would be.

So very true. Especially when it's someone humble or shy. You also don't know what they're dealing with and they might be bummed that day, maybe they just caught their girlfriend blowing their roommate, or they might have a family tragedy going on. As far as signing autographs, that's something they expect to do for 12 year olds and teeny bopper girls, but I don't get why a grown dude would ask some other guy to sign his name on a napkin. If you do want an autograph, get it at a signing, not when they're out trying to chill. Start fanning out and asking for autographs and it'll be a more awkward experience than if you just hang out and treat them like the normal people that they are.

I've skated with a lot of well known guys over the years, and most of them are super mellow. I'll call out 2 guys though who came off as complete assholes though: Tony Alva and Moses Itkonen. Fuck those guys.

One time around '96-'97 I accidentally upset some guy who rode for or was flow for Girl and he started kicking his board around and acting pissy. I went to the old Venice boardwalk driveway ramp and within a couple tries I ollied this tall construction sign that the guy was unsuccessfully trying to clear, and I guess he felt shown up. It probably didn't help that I was riding a wide ass Capital board with green griptape and had a mohawk so might've looked like a kook, but for whatever reason he didn't like the fact that I did it so easily, and I went on to backside 180 the thing, when he couldn't get the height to straight ollie over it. I wasn't trying to 1-up him, just trying to skate and before my meniscus shattered to pieces high ollies were my strong point, whereas this guy could probably skate a ledge 10x better than me, but instead of getting stoked on someone else doing well at the session he had a hissy fit. I've seen that happen quite a bit with flow guys and rookie am's, some of them seem like they have something to prove and don't like it when they're not the hottest shit at a session.