Author Topic: Los Angeles Skateshops?  (Read 1441 times)

Lance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Los Angeles Skateshops?
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »
I'm going to LA for a couple of Days before heading to San diego, any body know where the skateshops are, and if so can I get the streets/intersections. No Zumiez or other corporate lifestyle shops please. The real deal.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Mizzark

Re: Los Angeles Skateshops?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »
I went to this place called hot rod skate shop when I went there and it was pretty cool

SLANGIN_ROCKS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
    • www.50mmlosangeles.com avatar image
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »
supreme on fairfax near beverly, val surf on whitsett just off riverside in the valley, theres one on san pedro by third in downtown, theres two small ones on the boardwalk at venice, theres ninestar at olympic and sepulveda in west la aaaand theres old star shop on lincoln.
yeah its funny right, its funny? i'm tryin to sleep i got water on me?  yeah, of course it wasn't, it was nobody, nobody did it. its the mystery water. mystery water!

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:30:37 AM »
Damn dude thanks, Gives me something to do during the day
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
Call me picky, or call me an idealist, but there are no good, legit, skate shops in LA. It's quite pathetic in my honest opinion. Perhaps not the mecca of skateboarding, but definitely the center of skateboarding, I can't find one shop that can fulfill, what I consider, these basic things that a good skate shop should be able to fulfill. Yes, I understand that times are tough and things need to be done for business reasons, but the most legit shop close to LA is Furnace, which is in Cypress, some 45 minutes away from LA.

Criteria of a basic "good" skate shop.

1) Only skate goods and apparel, or rather products that support skateboarding in one way or another.
2) The employees skate, and have some rather common knowledge of what's going on in skating today, god forbid they know items and companies that are relevant that are out or may be coming out. This does not mean they are skate nerds and lurk slap all day, but are not 60 years old and their extent of knowledge doesn't go past dogtown and the z boys.
3) Be there for the customer, whom which your main clientele should probably be skateboarders. In other words, it should be of ease to go into a shop that has tools, misc hardware (you really gonna charge someone for an extra bolt??)
4) Following up with number 1 - Please no bmx, surf, snowboard, and skimboard equipment. No judgment if those activities are fun, but come on now!
5) Following up with number 2 - Seriously if you're the owner of a shop, for fucks sake it's obvious if you skate or not. If I want to see a hot chick at the register, I'll go to forever 21 or some shit or some store my girlfriend likes.

Extra credit/criteria for exceptional shops
5) Have a ramp, or support kids that skate in some way. Like having a box for people to skate.
6) Have a decent selection of product. This is not number 1 because now if you're corporate, it's pretty easy to get common goods. Unfortunately it's smaller "core" shops that probably know about good product now, or even care to know the difference. But because there are so many shops in LA, each shop has to have some sort of floatation device. Like bike pegs and snowboard waxing services.
Is that too much to ask?

Shops that fail those criteria in one way or another. Which essentially means every fucking shop in LA.
1. Active
2. CCS
3. Rip City - good prices, but seriously dude there at the shop is probably the same age as whoever Tony Alva's father, if the guy is alive.
4. To whomever said it before, Hot Rod ain't even a shop anymore. It was when Joey Brezinski worked there.
5. Paliskates. I havent even been there but they're basically around because they have an SB account for rich Pacific Palisades kids.
6. ZJ's. ** Asterisk because they actually support people that are up and coming in the area, lot of stoner park locals, the "skate section" has people that skate that work it. But a shop with sanuk shoes and wetsuits is just a fuckin downer.
7. Val Surf - Skate section is pretty good, good selection, some of the dudes actually know what's going on, but it's like ZJ's with girls that answer the phone and the only difference they know between trucks is if they're colored or not. But at least I can go get a channel islands shortboard surfboard and figure out the best way to get to point break.
7. Supreme - Supreme is cool whatever, they have a bowl. But honestly they cater to pros that get supreme for free, and people that saw Odd Future on Jimmy Fallon. But I really don't think you can even go in there and get a kingpin. If you done so, well then, good for you.
8. Non-Factory - This is possibly the best shop within LA. The owner's an older Japanese dude that actually knows a lot about product, but not necessarily about skating. One of their employees is cool and knows his stuff, but don't expect to get anything there for free. Be happy with a loose nut.
9. Alien Workshop/Burton Store - This is actually a good shop, Adrian Adrid holds it down there, but you gotta bypass the snow goggles. Beside, they're gonna be in business with or without the skate section.
10. Diamond - I really shouldn't even be putting this on the list. They are again for people that get Diamond for free. But I went in there to get a replacement pivot cup for my Ace's, which by the way blew out again, and they didn't even know what they were, or if they were for sale. I'll leave this place for kids yelling black and yellow.
11. Any other shops are either small enough to be forgotten, or just non-relevant. Well I mean there's Brooklyn Projects too, which apparently just re-opened, and only time will tell if that works out. To whomever mentioned ninestar, they're out of business. They had a fun miniramp when they relocated, but I really didn't need the bro at the register trying to sell their new obey shirts that just came in to me.

Examples of good shops.
1. Autumn - If you complained about how you were treated, well maybe you could have googled Blades on broadway. Now defunct.
2. Best shop I've ever been too - Orchard.
3. Atlas - Good selection, people that skate, good customer service to families that don't know shit about skating but may be trying to get their kids a board.

LA peoples where you at? Maybe I'll just have to do it myself.

Lance I see your sig says seasons. Do you know SFA? He'll let you know what's up. If you're looking for something to do, just go to stoner park. That's a park for any day of the year, visiting or daily visitor.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:00:30 PM by yeahisaidit »