Author Topic: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?  (Read 67640 times)

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »
Expand Quote
If this somehow resulted in Workshop going back to what it was like 18 years ago then I'd be stoked.
[close]
So they haven't done anything good since 1993? Really?Are you that jaded and disconnected from skating that you can't even acknowledge anything cool Chris Carter and Mike hill have done since slick bottoms and bearing covers? I realize most people here don't bother offering a counter point to anything you say because 15 paragraphs later they're blowing their brains out, but having skated for over 25 years and seeing many changes in this industry,I can say that the workshop has dropped the ball a few times but it sure hasn't been almost 2 decades since they were relevant or done something worth mentioning.
Damn dude, you keep the bitter old guy schtick up pretty well, so kudos on that. But there is still some cool stuff happening out there, if you look around a little more.
I back this.

To everyone complaining about Alien wood, they consistently make some of the best boards I've ever skated.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
didn't everyone loved alien even more since mindfield came out?
wtf

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2012, 07:41:01 AM »

SO UHM HAS THIS BEEN POSTED?

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
Grant Taylor rides alien wood..  seriously look at the team - its solid as fuck

so this is official then? just saw a tweet from Skateboarder Magazine saying he announced it:  https://twitter.com/#!/skateboardermag

i think this is great just as long as he doesnt taint the brand with his reality TV / Street League influence and keeps it as down to earth as possible. big moves for sure. Rob isnt fucking around -- lets crank out another amazing AWS video now asap

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:54 AM »
Grant Taylor rides alien wood.. ? seriously look at the team - its solid as fuck

so this is official then? just saw a tweet from Skateboarder Magazine saying he announced it: ? https://twitter.com/#!/skateboardermag

i think this is great just as long as he doesnt taint the brand with his reality TV / Street League influence and keeps it as down to earth as possible. big moves for sure. Rob isnt fucking around -- lets crank out another amazing AWS video now asap

Yea but he doesn't belong "THERE"  ::) ::) ::)

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »
It would be awesome if he somehow straight up bought Burton too. Just for the lols

dankradschwag

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
grant taylor never would've have rode for the old alien

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »

well - he has been getting boards from them for like 10 years at least lol..  grant was getting shit thrown to him from all his current sponsors back when he was like 8 years old..  

who should he ride for then? i think he fits fine on alien..  anti hero would be rad i guess but im pretty sure he's stoked on where he's at

if theres anyone who doesnt fit on AWS its mikey taylor and rob dyrdek haha

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

well - he has been getting boards from them for like 10 years at least lol..  grant was getting shit thrown to him from all his current sponsors back when he was like 8 years old..  

who should he ride for then? i think he fits fine on alien..  anti hero would be rad i guess but im pretty sure he's stoked on where he's at

if theres anyone who doesnt fit on AWS its mikey taylor and rob dyrdek haha

SEEK

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don't forget he'll have and instant demographic ready to buy-in. (inadvertently) Developing a fan base that large from all of his TV shows and participation with major networks over the years can only be a good thing.

People may not like his business motives, but the man has a plan that seems to be working. Can't hate that.
[close]

How will he have an instant demographic buying in? The random people that know about him from MTV don't give a shit whether Burton or Dyrdek owns AWS/DNA.
[close]

You answered you own question homeslice.

My comment was more it's not like Dyrdek buying AWS suddenly opens it up to a whole new demographic. The demographic of people watching his show exists whether or not he owns AWS/DNA or not. And if that demographic was doing a lot for AWS's sales, Burton probably would not have sold it unless Dyrdek offered a gratuitous amount of money (which he may have).

trannies and mannies

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
aws has soo many of my favorite skaters on the team. im backing this move, but like everyone else said, no monster/aws collabos please.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
being from the midwest, I've always been a big AWS/DNA supporter and have skated their decks more than any other "major" skate brand during the past 20 yrs.  It's not the same AWS as when it started, but what company is really anymore (and some may remember that there were "darker days" of AWS when the whole alien sticker craze was huge)...anyways, I still enjoy their aesthetic and they've always attracted a diverse group of doods. 

hopefully Dyrdek's purchase wont really do more than just giving it back to Carter & Co. to run with a little less corp. paperwork then they may have had with Burton.  in any event, it seems pretty natural to have a guy who skated for a company his whole career to invest back in it.  it would be easier for him to just remain a team guy and get a check, but instead he's tying himself to the ship, sink or swim.
hardly art, hardly starving

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
aws has soo many of my favorite skaters on the team. im backing this move, but like everyone else said, no monster/aws collabos please.
too late

A.J.K.

solo

• Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
Dude best idea ever.  They could totally turn Alien into Plan B's sister company with the rest of the DC guys.  Just think about it, ARTSY NYJAH!   
lolol

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
being from the midwest, I've always been a big AWS/DNA supporter and have skated their decks more than any other "major" skate brand during the past 20 yrs.� It's not the same AWS as when it started, but what company is really anymore (and some may remember that there were "darker days" of AWS when the whole alien sticker craze was huge)...anyways, I still enjoy their aesthetic and they've always attracted a diverse group of doods.�

hopefully Dyrdek's purchase wont really do more than just giving it back to Carter & Co. to run with a little less corp. paperwork then they may have had with Burton.� in any event, it seems pretty natural to have a guy who skated for a company his whole career to invest back in it.� it would be easier for him to just remain a team guy and get a check, but instead he's tying himself to the ship, sink or swim.

yeah... there was one point around 93/94 where there were knockoff Believe and Spectrum stickers and t-shirts everywhere.  Blame it on the ravers.

I don't buy boards for graphics but for the most part, their graphics were the best in the 90's (Blender, Carter and Hill).  Then Pendleton (amazing) put his mark on it for several years.  But since he left, they've had some really mediocre looking stuff.

I've always been a fan of Alien Workshop.  I've ridden more Alien and Habitat boards the past 15 years than any other brand.  PS Stix wood has worked well for me.  As well as Bareback more recently.

I'd like to hear DGKalis' take on this.  I wonder if things would have worked out differently for him if this happened several years ago.  Like, who was making all the decision that he didn't like over the years (the Mono "mixtape" thing, Marquis, Mindfield editing, new team members etc).  I suppose the Mono thing happened before Burton took over.

Who knows... maybe the only difference will be who signs their cheques.

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
Kinda feel bad for all the riders now.  They had job security under the mega corporation Burton, but now that it's skater owned, there might be some layoffs.  Look at Chris Pastras and Stereo.   Dude is barely holding on, and he's got a major hollywood actor paying the bills.   

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Whose richer, dyrdek or j lee
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
This is fucking awesome. Dyrdek is a solid ass dude, who is (no matter how corny on TV) a skateboarder to the bone, AND a genius business man.
BACKING THIS 100%

Rob Dyrdek Old Crib

skating starts at 4:59

BOWSEEE MOVESSS!

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
Hard to say. Jason Lee was making money in Skating for a while then went Hollywood and probably stacked some cash. Then he got the Eral Show and was bankin but that Scientology shit that got him there ain't free. Dyrdek has been pro for a while with a lot of hefty sponsors. He has had like two shows on MTV now right? He's rakin in the Cash I would imagine. I guess it comes down to if Jason Lee blew all his money on Xenu.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

I'd think that Jason Lee would be a lot richer by now.

Patrick Bateman

• Rep: -2
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
This is fucking awesome. Dyrdek is a solid ass dude, who is (no matter how corny on TV) a skateboarder to the bone, AND a genius business man.
BACKING THIS 100%

Rob Dyrdek Old Crib

BOWSEEE MOVESSS!

Dude, if Rob Dyrdek was as "skateboarder to the bone" as you say he is, then the skating in that video would have started at 0:01, not at 4:59

jimi420

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
BACKING THIS 100%

Rob Dyrdek Old Crib

BOWSEEE MOVESSS!

[close]
Dude, if Rob Dyrdek was as "skateboarder to the bone" as you say he is, then the skating in that video would have started at 0:01, not at 4:59
....the clip is about his house. Did you miss the point of it?

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
Expand Quote
BACKING THIS 100%

Rob Dyrdek Old Crib

BOWSEEE MOVESSS!

[close]

yeah but than it would not have been called "ON Videos CRIBS" but "Rob Dyrdek skates!"

edit*
you beat me to it! :)

BraveUlysses

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don't forget he'll have and instant demographic ready to buy-in. (inadvertently) Developing a fan base that large from all of his TV shows and participation with major networks over the years can only be a good thing.

People may not like his business motives, but the man has a plan that seems to be working. Can't hate that.
[close]

How will he have an instant demographic buying in? The random people that know about him from MTV don't give a shit whether Burton or Dyrdek owns AWS/DNA.
[close]

You answered you own question homeslice....Ask MTV, who obviously sees a need to give him one show after another. They don't do that for just anybody- it's simple business sense. Does Pauly Shore have a show?? No. He's not relevant (I miss him though). Dyrdek has viewers, fans, good ratings, Rob & Big and basically Fantasy Factory in syndication....a following...my point wasn't that they'd give a shit about skateboarding, my point is they see a face, they see his gear, and they buy more.

I mean who the hell buys Young & Restless gear? Nobody at my local park, and nobody I've seen on a board around Philly. The fact that 'DramaBeats' 'designs' the gear, and has an office in the Fantasy Factory is all kids need to see.
The 'core' scene may dislike DC but they sell a lot of gear...Are they still a 'Skate Company'? Why would they need to re-brand the skate section? If they weren't sponsoring Street League (Dyrdek on TV in front of Millions of impressionable youths again...but on another network), and Battle of the Berrics, would their sales be as strong as they are?

I'm almost 28 and the marketing/advertising doesn't phase me as much now, in fact it pisses me off that it's so tactless and over the top in some ways- but you gotta pay bills. Make BIG Moves, while others talk about them on message boards.

I didn't say I fully backed the motives, just said the plan was wise.

Edit: it should be noted that in a few of his MTV shows there are a shit-ton of AWS boards allllllll over the place. You think he asked an interior designer what would look best? Think about it next time you flip through the channels. Son is a business, man.
Haha yeah he's got that AWS chair he's always sitting in on the show.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »
So fucking stoked.

Maybe it's a Mid western thing.

You loves you? Megatron.

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »
There is too many unanswered questions to the purchase of Workshop.

Is business bad at DNA, so Burton is selling Workshop?  Will Burton drop Habitat?

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
yeh its kinda unclear at the moment

Roadrash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
Kinda feel bad for all the riders now.  They had job security under the mega corporation Burton, but now that it's skater owned, there might be some layoffs.  Look at Chris Pastras and Stereo.   Dude is barely holding on, and he's got a major hollywood actor paying the bills.   

lol, isnt Stereo getting sued for not paying their bills? star power doesnt mean shit.

GHOSTFACE420

• Rep: -7
  • lean
    • Legoman's Weed Smokin' Paradise avatar image
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »
fuck...
i never pour up nothing less than a 4