Author Topic: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?  (Read 67621 times)

meathead genius

Re: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?
« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Bros this is so nectar! I love Bobby Digital! Why is he buying a skateboard company though ???

jimi420

« Reply #271 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »
Bros this is so nectar! I love Bobby Digital! Why is he buying a skateboard company though ???
He's been on Alien Workshop for fucking ages, what better way to show his loyalty to the company that help make him than to buy it? oh and to make hella money.

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #272 on: April 17, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
He's been on Alien Workshop for fucking ages, what better way to show his loyalty to the company that help make him than to buy it? oh and to make hella money.

Come on jimi...you're smarter than this.

meathead genius

« Reply #273 on: April 17, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I didn't make that faggotie face. I wrote these- ??? nothin but question marks brosephs.
Bro, are you telling me that Robby D. is a pro skateboarder too?

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #274 on: April 17, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I didn't make that faggotie face. I wrote these- ??? nothin but question marks brosephs.

The schtick is tired.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

few123456789

« Reply #275 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »
Rodney owns not only companies, but patents. I'm sure he does fine for himself. If I remember correctly for his autobio, he was never a big spender either, which is why he had $5k to potentially throw away on long shot Steve Rocco in 1990.
Oh, and Rick Howard can't be rich. There's no money in owning a super successful skateboard manufacturing and distribution company, rght Jamie?

meathead genius

« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

The schtick is tired.
The schtick is a pussy bro. Real men don't get tired.

ekayallday

• Rep: -6
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2012, 12:11:22 AM »
didn't berra only get on basically because of heath?

and i think the only thing i see dyrdek doing with berra is getting ads on the berrics

it looks like dyrdek is doing it right by leaving the team stuff with dill and ave

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:20 AM »
didn't berra only get on basically because of heath?

Yep.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
ahh yes all his "bullshit tv antics" finally payed off into this. buying out your own board company? very impressive Bobby D

Sarah Jessica ParkFootage

• Rep: 34
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55:31 AM »
I just remembered there's an ignore button on here: see ya later meathood gunjuice.

ShreddyKrueger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
Maybe he'll put an end to those awful Warhol collab graphics and heinously shaped boards?

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
dope

slappyslap

• Rep: -31
« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »
Maybe he'll put an end to those awful Warhol collab graphics and heinously shaped boards?
??? seriously

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
Dyrdek for President 2022!
I need a coffee

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
Following the popularity of the alien section from the transworld video, rob will make a television series following the members of the alien team marketing it as a modern day "super team." It will be in the style of a teen drama in which arch rival team plan b often plays dirty to downplay the workshop, only for rob and his extremely talented friends to thwart their plans and continue to have the best skate team on the planet. It will also showcase modern teen-young man styles from the likes of dylan and donovan, ave will be the stereotypical hard ass with a heart of gold, omar is the "goofball" character thats good but no one understands,  tyler bledsoe will start wearing glasses and be the nerd whos actually cool, Grant Taylor will actually just be a dick and probably not act interested in an MTV show (even tho he totally will be), Heath will be the god the team prays to and he will show up when needed, and berra will return as the ultimate villain that must be dealt with if the super team wants to be the best in the world!

The show will last at best 3 seasons, mostly due to pre-pubescent girls wanting to see every minute of dylan they can. Though disregarded by the skate community in general as "not core," about 98% of skaters will watch the show at some point and 28% will watch it regularly and claim its for the skating (of which theres about 1.5 mins of in each episode, usually park footy) but actually get enticed by the plotlines created by rob and jeff tremaine. Alien Workshop deck and merch sales will skyrocket.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
I would watch that show.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
That show sounds amazing.  Count me in the 28%.

few123456789

« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
I wonder what Kalis thinks.  josh - we know you rep dgk but would you have left if rob bought the workshop while you were there?  Me thinks not.

enzist

• Rep: 0
« Reply #289 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »
I'm from Dayton and ALIEN was always about science and innovation (hanger 18, dayton ohio) they were at their best when Neil Blender was doin art for them and then they got artist Don pendelton and kept being innovative.  throwing money at AWS isnt a bad thing, but Dyrdek has that horrible MTV$$ now, heck just look at the new AWS, VORTEX and DYNAMO bad neon MTVshirts they have up on their website HORRIBLE! its just like the crap they try to peddle at hot topics/Kmart. Dyrdek's gonna ruin whats left of AWS...its only a matter of time before the OG Alien logo disappears and Kanye West has a Pro-Deck. when he moves AWS from Dayton, Ohio to Cali, its going to be GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!
  you guys wont remember but before all his MTV money/shows he had his own company in 2002/2003 (it was linked on AWS' site) their logo was a + sign I cant remember the name, but it bombed just garbage, now AWS has some of those old +sign designs are starting to make their way onto AWS products. luckily Dyrdek has stated that Habitat is going to be off the radar as far as his input (lettin' Joe Castrucci to do his own thing)

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #290 on: May 01, 2012, 12:21:51 AM »
I'm from Dayton and ALIEN was always about science and innovation (hanger 18, dayton ohio) they were at their best when Neil Blender was doin art for them and then they got artist Don pendelton and kept being innovative.  throwing money at AWS isnt a bad thing, but Dyrdek has that horrible MTV$$ now, heck just look at the new AWS, VORTEX and DYNAMO bad neon MTVshirts they have up on their website HORRIBLE! its just like the crap they try to peddle at hot topics/Kmart. Dyrdek's gonna ruin whats left of AWS...its only a matter of time before the OG Alien logo disappears and Kanye West has a Pro-Deck. when he moves AWS from Dayton, Ohio to Cali, its going to be GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!
  you guys wont remember but before all his MTV money/shows he had his own company in 2002/2003 (it was linked on AWS' site) their logo was a + sign I cant remember the name, but it bombed just garbage, now AWS has some of those old +sign designs are starting to make their way onto AWS products. luckily Dyrdek has stated that Habitat is going to be off the radar as far as his input (lettin' Joe Castrucci to do his own thing)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #292 on: May 01, 2012, 06:38:29 AM »
you are a moron

im probably lying

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: May 01, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm from Dayton and ALIEN was always about science and innovation (hanger 18, dayton ohio) they were at their best when Neil Blender was doin art for them and then they got artist Don pendelton and kept being innovative.  throwing money at AWS isnt a bad thing, but Dyrdek has that horrible MTV$$ now, heck just look at the new AWS, VORTEX and DYNAMO bad neon MTVshirts they have up on their website HORRIBLE! its just like the crap they try to peddle at hot topics/Kmart. Dyrdek's gonna ruin whats left of AWS...its only a matter of time before the OG Alien logo disappears and Kanye West has a Pro-Deck. when he moves AWS from Dayton, Ohio to Cali, its going to be GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!
[close]
you are a moron

Co-signed. First off, Seek was awesome. Secondly, Dyrdek said that he's letting everyone already in charge stay in their positions and do everything they as they already are/how they see fit. He's giving AVE and Dill roles somewhat like TMs, where they can help sculpt the team, and giving the team even more input and influence than they already have. And you act as if the proliferation of Dyrdek products marketed from his MTV personality is new. Those decks and shirts have been around ever since Rob & Big, starting before DNA was even sold to Burton. Why? because they fucking sell and help keep DNA afloat so they can do all of the cool shit that they're known for. And to prove even further that you're wrong, let's look at the first steps they've taken since Dyrdek's ownership. They turned Jake Johnson and Gilbert Crockett pro-good moves-while giving them debut decks that are definitely in the classic AWS style without being repetitive. So I have high hopes right now.

P.S.-You are a poopface.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #294 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
Seek was tight. They actually looked like they were going to do something Greg Myers back in the day as opposed to just having him work in the warehouse. I really liked those boards.

MTV-Dyrdek and Workshop-Dyrdek are two totally different people so I'm not worried about the direction of the workshop under his ownership any more than I was when it was owned by a snowboard company. Good for him on taking the MTV money and putting it back into a brand that supported him.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #295 on: May 01, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »

How the fuck you going to come in here on your first post and tell me what I can remember?  When you, moron, can't even remember the name of the company.  Your geographic local, and your post count gives your opinion all the credibility of a Yeti sighting inside the St. Louis Arch.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

lurka lurka

• Rep: 2
« Reply #296 on: May 01, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
Seek was tight. They actually looked like they were going to do something Greg Myers back in the day as opposed to just having him work in the warehouse. I really liked those boards.

MTV-Dyrdek and Workshop-Dyrdek are two totally different people so I'm not worried about the direction of the workshop under his ownership any more than I was when it was owned by a snowboard company. Good for him on taking the MTV money and putting it back into a brand that supported him.

truth.

the tranny monster

• Rep: -22
« Reply #297 on: May 01, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How the fuck you going to come in here on your first post and tell me what I can remember?  When you, moron, can't even remember the name of the company.  Your geograp
hic local, and your post count gives your opinion all the credibility of a Yeti sighting inside the St. Louis Arch.

I agree you should just stick to making poop jokes like the rest of us noobs

skateohio

• Rep: 18
« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
two minutes on google.

History of Alien Workshop

In October 1990 Chris Carter, Mike Hill and Neil Blender move to Dayton Ohio from California to form the Alien Workshop. This obscure move out of the west coast mecca of skateboarding was a deliberate turning of the back to the cliche skateboard company. Operating out of the back of Jimmy George's C.S. Distributing warehouse, the three set up a fort apache style office and photography darkroom. The importance set upon removing the company from the current field of companies can not be overstated.

The team riders included two veteran pro's Neil Blender, Steve Claar, and five young amateur upstarts; Rob Dyrdek, Duane Pitre, Thomas Morgan, Bo Turner and Scott Conklin. The first advertisements featured blurry, black & white photos with no connection to skateboarding or anything remotely going on in the industry. The first priority was the making of the group's first video, Memory Screen. The deck line up at this time featured Blender & Claar pro models, the Visitor model and the Xenia model. Knock off graphics from popular culture were the rage among other companies, which made no sense to the Workshop as the very reason for forming was to escape from the much hated popular culture. In the fall of 1991, the video Memory Screen was released to mixed reviews. The video's departure from traditional skateboard video making formula took many by surprise. With nothing like it to compare to, the video either was hated for being too full of non skating imagery or loved for the opening of doors to the closed world of trick only videos. The Alien Workshop turned two of the video's young ground breaking skaters pro, Rob Dyrdek from Dayton and Duane Pitre from Metarie,Lousiana. The two's pro models were released and the Workshop was slowly building it's product line. In the spring of 1992, After a crumbling relationship with Jimmy George, the Workshop moved out of the C.S. Distributing Bld. and into a warehouse owned by fellow friend and now minority partner Mark Ericksen. The irony of the warehouse being located blocks from Wright Patt Air Force Base home of the famous Hanger 18 (where alien bodies were allegedly shipped after the Roswell crash) now seemed quite fitting. The company quickly expanded it's deck line with slick bottom decks featuring graphics that were photographs of self created puppets, dioramas and live animals. The pro team roster now included Dyrdek, Pitre, Turner, Morgan, Conklin and new comer John Drake.

The company grew while continuing to operate outside of the "industry insiders", flying well below their radar; Alien Workshop was creating a huge fan base unknown to the competition. J Mascis and Dinosaur Jr. ran shirts and banners of the company's logos at early Lallapoluza shows and the tie between the band and the workshop baffled the public. Black and white xerox catalogs were sent to shops nationwide and with Joe Bowers making the move to Ohio from the left coast to head up the sales staff, the brand began creeping in and over taking skate shops world wide.The simple yet provocative graphics depicting alien abductions, cloning, telepathy and other underground alien/conspiracy subject matter was the first of it's kind and created a following well beyond skateboarders. At the same time Dyrdek, Pitre and Drake move to San Diego to help establish a California presence a young Fred Gall rewrites modern street skating in Philly and New York City. Dyrdek becomes an early team rider for a then small upstart shoe company called DC Shoes. He was as tight with DC in the beginning as he has been with the Workshop and his skating continues to make it's impact. Mainstream America with the spoon feeding of the X-Files television show finally accepts UFOS and the alien phenomena as a legitimate subject matter that was once regulated to the tabloid and basement dwelling freaks. Paranoia of "one world government" and the like reach a fever state at the Workshop and daily rants and reports via short wave radio both trouble and bore the employees. Copyright infringements flood in as the gas station trinket makers cash in on anything and everything "alien". What was once a underground, core, taboo subject matter has now been reduced to lollipops with almond shaped eyes. The aliens have become the icon of the moment. Young amateurs Josh Kalis and Lennie Kirk join the team and continue the onslaught of a highly progressive team combined with tight graphics and ads.

By this time the alien workshop has it's roots dug deep and the skateboarding industry finally succumbs to the fact that a company outside of California is viable and necessary. The Workshop moves into abadly needed larger building in the spring of 1997. The much delayed 2nd video by AWS, Timecode is released and features Kalis as a force to be reckoned with. His style and precise control of technical tricks stands alone. The first addition in brands from the Workshop is Reflex Performance bearings. It is started with the help of Dyrdek and his professional skateboard friends and offers high end bearings supported by a heavy duty team roster; Guy Mariano, Colin Mckay, Kareem Campbell, Danny Way, Stevie Williams, Mike York and Josh Kalis.

Two new graphic designers are added to the closely held art department and would shape the company into the millennium, Don Pendleton from Ravenswood West Virginia and Joe Castrucci from Cincinnati Ohio. The two quickly adapt to the Sect's graphic style and begin adding to the companys diversity of ideas. The summer of 1998 brings Jason Dill, Anthony Van Engelen and a legend in skateboarding to the AWS team... Danny Way. The shock wave through the gossip lines of Way's joining the Workshop would last to the year's end. A promo length video of the new team changes is debuted at the 98 fall trade show. Unknown east coast ams Brian Wenning and Anthony Pappalardo raise eyebrows from all. Filming for the full length video is top priority and Philly's Love Park is the site of daily footage missions.

By the end of 1999 an idea that has been talked about for years begins to take seed. The Habitat is formed under the Sovereign Sect in December. The team starts as Kerry Getz, Tim Oconnor, Fred Gall, Brian Wenning and Rob Pluhowski. Danny Garcia joins soon after and turns pro after an amazing first year on the team. The graphic direction is uniform and direct from the upstart. The co existence of nature and man is forged by Castrucci and the Habitat's graphics lay the foundation for it's visual identity . Pendleton commands most of the Workshop's deck graphics at this point and masters the web sites for all of the brands. In July of 2000, after two years plus of harvesting footage, Joe Castrucci flattens the final layers of Photosynthesis and the 1st full length video since 1991's Memory Screen is released for consumption. The video is a multi media of skateboarding, color forms and custom music. It is met with rave reviews and generates what it often missed in the slew of skateboard videos, a feeling, a personality, the motivation to go skateboarding . The video's solid skating by AWS's Van Engelen, Dill, Kalis, Dyrdek and am powerhouses Pappalardo and Corcoran is wrapped around a introductory section of the Habitat team. A mini video within, the Habitat part spotlights a team that will dominate the skating populace for the future. It has been 10 years since the concept that a skateboard company could be more than a producer of products, that the very reason to start something was to mold it into it's own being and not a weak copy of what is already done. The Alien Workshop and its divisions are guided by this philosophy to this day. A Sovereign Sect of individuals with the goal to evolve skateboarding, projects and ideas free from outside pressures or rules.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #299 on: May 01, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »
Where can I see that promo video they mention in the 2nd to last paragraph?