Author Topic: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?  (Read 67611 times)

trannies and mannies

Re: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
i would pay money to see freddy in street league

Zurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
if hes buying DNA maybe he can fix habitat

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »

Habitat has one of the best teams out..  the combined roster of habitat / AWS is face melting..  and im sure rob will make sure things are headed in the right direction

Habitat:
Danny Garcia
Silas Baxter-Neal
Stefan Janoski
Tim O'Connor
Kerry Getz
Austyn Gillette
Fred Gall
Daryl Angel
Guru Khalsa

AWS:
A.V.E.
Grant Taylor
Dill
Mikey Taylor
Tyler Bledsoe
Omar Salazar
Dylan Rieder
Rob Dyrdek
Gilbert Crockett
Jake Johnson
Kevin Tarpening
( technically Heath is still on the team )
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:22:07 PM by manbergur »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
Habitat was twice as good a month ago though. They are going in the wrong direction
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
what exactly happened within the last month that habitat did wrong?

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Habitat has one of the best teams out..  the combined roster of habitat / AWS is face melting..  and im sure rob will make sure things are headed in the right direction

Habitat:
Danny Garcia
Silas Baxter-Neal
Stefan Janoski
Tim O'Connor
Kerry Getz
Austyn Gillette
Fred Gall
Daryl Angel
Guru Khalsa

AWS:
A.V.E.
Grant Taylor
Dill
Mikey Taylor
Tyler Bledsoe
Omar Salazar
Dylan Rieder
Rob Dyrdek
Gilbert Crockett
Jake Johnson
Kevin Tarpening

Don't forget Brian Delatorre and Mark Suciu on habitat. those guys are killing it.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Habitat:
Danny Garcia
Silas Baxter-Neal
Stefan Janoski
Tim O'Connor
Kerry Getz
Austyn Gillette
Fred Gall
Daryl Angel
Guru Khalsa

AWS:
A.V.E.
Grant Taylor
Dill
Mikey Taylor
Tyler Bledsoe
Omar Salazar
Dylan Rieder
Rob Dyrdek
Gilbert Crockett
Jake Johnson
Kevin Tarpening
[close]

Don't forget Brian Delatorre and Mark Suciu on habitat. those guys are killing it.

What's the situation with Alex Davis an Steve Durante nowadays? they both kill it

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Everyone on this thread praising Dyrdek's business savvy (which can't be denied), think about this.� Business savvy is just a code word for being smart enough to make as much money as possible out of a venture.� Returning AWS to Carter and Hill to be a cool underground company is not the way to make money of it.� Pimping it on MTV, Monster collabos, kids clothes, and putting it in Wal Mart, etc. is the way to get paid from something like the workshop.�
[close]

And how do you explain Dyrdeks loyalty to the company. He is in it for the long run, not to exploit something for a quick buck

Shit like deals with Wal Mart/Target/Whoever like Hawk and Shaun White are not quick bucks, they are looooooooooong bucks.  I would love to see Dyrdek take the DNA thing serious and keep the companies legit, but he's going to find away to get paid somehow.  

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
i liked when habitat was a little more east coast centric.(glad COTG isnt around to see that) i know getz and freddy are still there, but i feel like they have less of a presence on the team every day, getz especially. Dela was a sick addition, but im pretty medium on suciu. i think putting angel on was a crappy move too. garcia and janoski don't really seem to give a fuck anymore. the company also kinda went full person with their image, i didnt mind the overlays of triangles and other geometric shapes, but theyre playing hard on the nature side of things these days. to me it seems like it lost a lot the magic after mosaic, when they started giving that conroy dude more filmer shine.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
i liked when habitat was a little more east coast centric.(glad COTG isnt around to see that) i know getz and freddy are still there, but i feel like they have less of a presence on the team every day, getz especially. Dela was a sick addition, but im pretty medium on suciu. i think putting angel on was a crappy move too. garcia and janoski don't really seem to give a fuck anymore. the company also kinda went full person with their image, i didnt mind the overlays of triangles and other geometric shapes, but theyre playing hard on the nature side of things these days. to me it seems like it lost a lot the magic after mosaic, when they started giving that conroy dude more filmer shine.

Garcia is probably filming and Janoski just had a really fucking good Nike part.

ShitUnot

• Rep: 1
  • Slappie to Fakie
    • shitunot1 blogspot avatar image
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
I'm not an industry insider but a friend of a friend of Dyrdek. He had me over to the Fantasy Factory earlier this week. His office was lined with Workshop boards. He showed me a complete that Neil Blender gave him back in like 88 or 89 at a contest just before he got on G&S which was subsequently just before AW started. He had that complete and the one he grinded the 20 stair that was on ON video in the office. They were the only two pieces of history in there but it was enough to know that he knows what he's doing.

I alluded to it earlier but he said Dill came to him saying "Dylan wants a raise. Should I be worried about my place on the team." To which Rob responded "Fuck no Dill, I'm gonna make you president of this company."

Say what you want but he made his money where he could. He's now a 37 year old man who has been pro longer than some of you have been alive. I skated with him the other day and he stomped a perfect bigspin first try just goofing around then he towed my friend into the foam pit off the go cart.

He's having fun, doing his thing, supporting skateboarding and taking care of a lot of other skaters.. I'm not on Dyrdek's Dyr-Dick but we need more people like him.

Great story! But did Rob tell you how Carter and Hill fucked Neil out of ownership of Alien? I bet not. Further more i know for a fact that Blender couldn't stand Dyrdek so I am thinking Neil probably never gave Rob that board...

ShitUnot

• Rep: 1
  • Slappie to Fakie
    • shitunot1 blogspot avatar image
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Habitat has one of the best teams out..  the combined roster of habitat / AWS is face melting..  and im sure rob will make sure things are headed in the right direction

Habitat:
Danny Garcia
Silas Baxter-Neal
Stefan Janoski
Tim O'Connor
Kerry Getz
Austyn Gillette
Fred Gall
Daryl Angel
Guru Khalsa
Marius Syvanen
Brian Delatorre
Mark Suciu

AWS:
A.V.E.
Grant Taylor
Dill
Mikey Taylor
Tyler Bledsoe
Omar Salazar
Dylan Rieder
Rob Dyrdek
Gilbert Crockett
Jake Johnson
Kevin Tarpening
Fixed*
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:51:59 PM by ShitUnot »

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Habitat has one of the best teams out..  the combined roster of habitat / AWS is face melting..  and im sure rob will make sure things are headed in the right direction

Habitat:
Danny Garcia
Silas Baxter-Neal
Stefan Janoski
Tim O'Connor
Kerry Getz
Austyn Gillette
Fred Gall
Daryl Angel
Guru Khalsa
Marius Syvanen
Brian Delatorre
Mark Suciu

AWS:
A.V.E.
Grant Taylor
Dill
Mikey Taylor
Tyler Bledsoe
Omar Salazar
Dylan Rieder
Rob Dyrdek
Gilbert Crockett
Jake Johnson
Kevin Tarpening
[close]
Fixed*

yeh forgot about those dudes..  habitat hasnt been updating thier site haha

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
^^Also forgot Donovan Piscopo on Alien

I can sympathize with that.  Mosaic was the high point of Habitat, but I think Inhabitants was a solid video too.  I wasn't a big fan of Origin, but it's not like the company is "broken" or anything...it's just not as amazing as it used to be.  I was so bummed when I saw Alex Davis got the boot, but no ones really offered a reason why so maybe they had their reasons.  Suciu was young when Origin came out and we'll see another part in a couple days.  It seems like lots of people want to call out Daryl for being mediocre but that dude can do anything.  I think with some better editing and a better song people will get into him again.  That Skate Fairy HD part was good as fuck and I remember liking his Skate Mental part too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:40:29 PM by chockfullofthat »

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »
^^Also forgot Donovan Piscopo on Alien

Expand Quote
[close]

I can sympathize with that.  Mosaic was the high point of Habitat, but I think Inhabitants was a solid video too.  I wasn't a big fan of Origin, but it's not like the company is "broken" or anything...it's just not as amazing as it used to be.  I was so bummed when I saw Alex Davis got the boot, but no ones really offered a reason why so maybe they had their reasons.  Suciu was young when Origin came out and we'll see another part in a couple days.  It seems like lots of people want to call out Daryl for being mediocre but that dude can do anything.  I think with some better editing and a better song people will get into him again.  That Skate Fairy HD part was good as fuck and I remember liking his Skate Mental part too.

I never got why people did not like daryl, I always thought this dude was sick

HOUSTON, TEXAS!

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm not an industry insider but a friend of a friend of Dyrdek. He had me over to the Fantasy Factory earlier this week. His office was lined with Workshop boards. He showed me a complete that Neil Blender gave him back in like 88 or 89 at a contest just before he got on G&S which was subsequently just before AW started. He had that complete and the one he grinded the 20 stair that was on ON video in the office. They were the only two pieces of history in there but it was enough to know that he knows what he's doing.

I alluded to it earlier but he said Dill came to him saying "Dylan wants a raise. Should I be worried about my place on the team." To which Rob responded "Fuck no Dill, I'm gonna make you president of this company."

Say what you want but he made his money where he could. He's now a 37 year old man who has been pro longer than some of you have been alive. I skated with him the other day and he stomped a perfect bigspin first try just goofing around then he towed my friend into the foam pit off the go cart.

He's having fun, doing his thing, supporting skateboarding and taking care of a lot of other skaters.. I'm not on Dyrdek's Dyr-Dick but we need more people like him.
[close]

Great story! But did Rob tell you how Carter and Hill fucked Neil out of ownership of Alien? I bet not. Further more i know for a fact that Blender couldn't stand Dyrdek so I am thinking Neil probably never gave Rob that board...

Neil gave Rob that board when Rob was just a little grom at a demo. He tells the story in one of the first On Videos where they do a Cribs thing on his old pad in SD. Rob was just a kid in the crowd at the demo and saw Neil getting into a crowded car and said "I don't think there's room for that board in there." Neil said "You know, you're right," and threw it to Rob. Then some time after that, AWS started.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Garcia is probably filming BORING SHIT and Janoski just had a really fucking good Nike part.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »

... But did Rob tell you how Carter and Hill fucked Neil out of ownership of Alien? ...

Good Sir, I would be very pleased to know more about that.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »
al davis and steve durante are still on habitat?

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2012, 05:01:59 AM »
yep

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
well, suciu made me eat my words pretty damn fast

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
well, suciu made me eat my words pretty damn fast

Haha...I was wondering what you were gonna say about that part.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
i dont know how relevant this is to rob buying DNA from burton but when burton initially "bought" DNA it was under some special terminology.  everyone always glosses over how it happened people just remember it happened.  i dont remember what it was called but basically burton didnt have to disclose what they paid for or gave up or contributed to acquire DNA distribution. nobody really knows what the deal actually was so you dont actually know if dyrdek has to pay millions of dollars to get DNA distribution back. for all you know it might just mean that they have to stop using burtons assets and pay some small fees. its definitely not the deal you think went down.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:40:10 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

Bertie

• Rep: 65
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
I don't really understand what you're getting at. What's the source of this vague information? It doesn't even sound like you need one, all you're really saying is that me, you or anyone else are ignorant to what goes on business-wise at Alien - which we're already aware of. Not having a go at you, just not sure what you're trying to say.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
i dont remember. maybe i shouldnt have posted that without finding what i think i was quoting that from.

theres this report http://www.alacrastore.com/storecontent/Thomson_M&A/Burton_Corp_acquires_DNA_Distribution-1950905020

im not gonna buy it to find out though.

dankradschwag

« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
Habitat/AWS get so much hype now, back in the day they were more independent style and were big time east coast brands, now they're  so cal as shit. fuck em

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »
That doesn't make business sense that Burton would "hold" DNA for a few years, but I'm no business man. 

And also I agree with everyone that Dayton Ohio is the epicenter of East Coast, despite being 600 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.

gripittoripit

« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
I wonder is Dyrdek will axe habitat footwear since it could be a conflict of interest with DC, kinda like a small competitor? I do fully back his buying of DNA though, I don't think we will harm these company's.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:41:50 AM by gripittoripit »

MisterX

« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
I wonder is Dyrdek will axe habitat footwear since it could be a conflict of interest with DC, kinda like a small competitor? I do fully back his buying of DNA though, I don't think we will harm these company's.

Yeah that would be crazy if he axed it....considering he is attempting to only purchase AWS not DNA.  I love how everyone just speculates and blows everything out of proportion on here. 

gripittoripit

« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
Either way i Think this is tight if it happens, which prolly will