Author Topic: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?  (Read 67616 times)

jeremyrandall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Rob Dyrdek is buying Alien Workshop / DNA Distribution from Burton?
« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »

the same site has Rodney Mullen at 30 million and Rick Howard at 45 million, so not sure how accurate that is.  not saying they shouldn't be that rich, but i just don't see it.

Net Worth includes ownership in companies and whatnot, not just cash in the bank.  Rick Howard is part owner in Crailtap, which is pretty bigtime.  And Rodney and Daewon started Almost, on top of all the royalties he's had from video games he's appeared in.  I can imagine both those dudes being pretty well off.

mbquant

« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
Chevy Sonic "Stunt Anthem" | Chevy Super Bowl XLVI Ads | Chevrolet Commercial (Crazy Stunts!!)

First kickflip in a Chevy Sonic....EXTREME!!!

I need an energy drink after watching this one.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
it was a bit mobbed.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »
Chevy Sonic "Stunt Anthem" | Chevy Super Bowl XLVI Ads | Chevrolet Commercial (Crazy Stunts!!)

Heelflip. Drydek is goofy.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

poocrusher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329

jimi420

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr

im probably lying

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
Why do they call that car flip a kickflip? It wasn't kicked at all. Dude did a BARREL ROLE.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Heelflip. Drydek is goofy.
This is highly observant, such a rookie move to not say switch, the graphic guy can't read this; sskf

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
http://www.skateboardermag.com/industry-news/rob-dyrdek-officially-acquires-dna-distribution-from-burton/
Los Angeles, CA ? April 17, 2012 ? 20 year skateboarding veteran, television star and entrepreneur, Rob Dyrdek announced today that he has acquired DNA Distribution which includes skateboarding brands Alien Workshop, Habitat and Reflex, from Burton.
The combination of Dyrdek?s brand loyalty and financial strength, with the unparalleled design and quality of DNA?s skateboarding products, will enhance the brands ability to participate more aggressively in the growing skateboard industry.
Confirming the previous purchase buzz, Dyrdek has been in discussion with Burton and DNA Distribution throughout the last year. ?It?s hard to put into words what an amazing opportunity this is for me. I am extremely proud to now own the company that first sponsored me 20 years ago,? stated Dyrdek, President of Dyrdek Enterprises. ?DNA has truly amazing brands that have incredible growth potential, and I look forward to helping guide these brands over the next 20 years.?
?It?s been an honor to call DNA part of the Burton family for the past four years,? stated Jake Burton, Founder and CEO of Burton Snowboards. ?And as we look to the future, I have no doubt that DNA is in extremely good hands given Rob?s history with the brands and the sport. On behalf of everyone at Burton, we wish them all the best.?
?We look forward for what?s to come with Rob and DNA,? said Chris Carter, General Manager and Co-Founder of DNA. ?Rob has shown his dedication for the past 20 years and we are excited to continue to build the brands.? Carter will continue to oversee DNA Distribution in Dayton, Ohio, while Dyrdek will consult directly on all marketing and creative from his Los Angeles based office.
In conjunction with the purchase announcement, ?Rob Dyrdek?s Fantasy Factory? will wrap up its fifth season on Monday April 23rd, 2012 at 10/9c on MTV with a finale episode featuring a comedic look at Rob purchasing the Alien Workshop and finding out that he in fact, actually has real alien DNA.
About Rob Dyrdek/Dyrdek Enterprises Inc.: Rob Dyrdek is a professional skateboarder, entrepreneur and television star based in Los Angeles. In 1999, Rob founded his privately held company Dyrdek Enterprises Inc. which currently holds multiple companies, entertainment brands and a non-profit organization known as the Rob Dyrdek Foundation, that seeks to build safe and legal skate plazas in communities around the world. Rob is known for his MTV television shows ?Rob & Big,? ?Rob Dyrdek?s Fantasy Factory,? and ?Ridiculousness.? He also has an animated series ?Wild Grinders,? based off of his childhood skate crew, on Nicktoons. In 2010, Rob created the first professional street skateboarding property, Street League Skateboarding? that is televised on ESPN. Other Dyrdek Enterprises key holdings include IVI Vision, Rogue Status, Loud Mouth Burritos, Ditl and ISX technology. For more information, visit www.dyrdek.com.
About DNA Distribution: Dayton, Ohio based DNA Distribution is one of the world?s leading suppliers of skateboards and accessories. Originally founded in 1990 by Chris Carter and Mike Hill, Alien Workshop was the original DNA brand. The Workshop pushed all boundaries of skateboard aesthetic, thought, and design. The Sovereign Sect has grown to include two other brands: Habitat Skateboards and Reflex. Habitat was introduced in 1999 under the creative direction of Joe Castrucci. The brand stands for skateboarding and eco-conscious design. Habitat offers a full line of skateboard equipment, softgoods, and accessories. Reflex offers a focused line of hardgoods that includes bearings, tools, trucks, and grip tape. In addition to their own brands, DNA also distributes all the leading brands of trucks, safety equipment and griptape. DNA?s brands are proud to support the world?s best skateboarders.
About Burton: In 1977, Jake Burton Carpenter founded Burton out of his Vermont barn. Since then, Burton has fueled the growth of snowboarding worldwide through its groundbreaking product lines, its team of top snowboarders and its grassroots efforts to get the sport accepted at resorts. In 1996, Burton began growing its family of brands to include boardsports and apparel brands. Privately held and owned by Jake, Burton?s headquarters are in Burlington, Vermont with offices in California, Austria, Japan and Australia. For more information, visit www.burton.com.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
damn, rob caked up now

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
Reflex? For real? I had no idea that was under DNA.

Damn....watch Rob bring back Berra to Alien and kick off Dylan.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »

"Reflex was originally founded back in 1998 and is the manufacturer of high performance skateboard bearings, trucks and accessories. Reflex is produced through DNA Distribution, the makers of Alien Workshop & Habitat Skateboards, and over the years has sponsored such legendary skaters as Kareem Campbell, Guy Mariano, Josh Kalis, Danny Way, Colin McKay and Rob Dyrdek amongst others."

Last ones I had last me 3 years, fucking good

nice to know rob bought it, fuck yeah
..Dyrdek Enterprises Inc... wow, just wow

trannies and mannies

« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »
Those orange unit tools with the axel rethreader are great, that thing has saved me so many times.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:40:21 PM by trannies and mannies »

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
reflex should stay in business forever just for that tool

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
No mention of habitat footwear, eh?  Does that stay with Burton, get nixed or just get forgotten in a press release that's already too long?

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
http://www.skateboardermag.com/industry-news/rob-dyrdek-officially-acquires-dna-distribution-from-burton/
Expand Quote
... while Dyrdek will consult directly on all marketing and creative from his Los Angeles based office.
[close]

This part worries me....

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you read that recent Dylan interview someone posted??  That sounds pretty unlikely with the way both Dylan said in that interview and Dill said on the Fos radio show about the direction AWS is trying to go.?  It sounds like they're trying to streamline it to just skating.?  It would be pretty awesome if that's the case.

But wasn't that direction made when it was under Burton? I didn't heard the radio interview with Dill but in teh Dylan interview, it seems like he just found out that Rob bought DNA. I just wonder if Rob will somehow work with Berra somehow. Imagine if Berra got creative control of something in DNA. I wonder if Dylan's shit talking would eventually backfire on him. Anyways...I am just talk shit out my ass.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
ROB DYRDEK BUYS DNA: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
http://hellaclips.com/videos/view/19712
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
http://hellaclips.com/videos/view/19712

Fuck yeah, so I guess Berra is not coming back. Rob is tight, and to give a control of a team to Dill and AVE, this couldnt be any better.

foureyedjim

« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
I think inside, nobody really likes Berra that much.  I see the people around him using him for personal gains rather than actually befriending him haha

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
Expand Quote

the same site has Rodney Mullen at 30 million and Rick Howard at 45 million, so not sure how accurate that is.  not saying they shouldn't be that rich, but i just don't see it.
[close]

Net Worth includes ownership in companies and whatnot, not just cash in the bank.  Rick Howard is part owner in Crailtap, which is pretty bigtime.  And Rodney and Daewon started Almost, on top of all the royalties he's had from video games he's appeared in.  I can imagine both those dudes being pretty well off.

I think Rodney gets royalties whenever someone does a flip trick on flat.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »
So, is he going to bring neil blender back?

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
so happy for ROB and ALIEN........a skate brand back in skaters hands.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck yeah, so I guess Berra is not coming back. Rob is tight, and to give a control of a team to Dill and AVE, this couldnt be any better.

It's cool listening to him talk about it because you can tell how much AWS/DNA means to him. Hopefully the move towards the aesthetic will open up a lot more classic and creative AWS graphics (I know their current line is really good, but there were a few seasons where it was a lot of repetition/logo boards). I think getting Blender back would help that out a lot...

Randozzi

« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
bring back Pendleton, Rob.

A.J.K.

« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
You can argue that Rob has done some really questionable things, but I think he's fully aware of that.  He won't be fucking Alien/DNA up.  And.....

bring back Pendleton, Rob.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »
Rodney owns not only companies, but patents. I'm sure he does fine for himself. If I remember correctly for his autobio, he was never a big spender either, which is why he had $5k to potentially throw away on long shot Steve Rocco in 1990.
Oh, and Rick Howard can't be rich. There's no money in owning a super successful skateboard manufacturing and distribution company, rght Jamie?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

superslopp

« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
Rodney owns not only companies, but patents. I'm sure he does fine for himself. If I remember correctly for his autobio, he was never a big spender either, which is why he had $5k to potentially throw away on long shot Steve Rocco in 1990.
Oh, and Rick Howard can't be rich. There's no money in owning a super successful skateboard manufacturing and distribution company, rght Jamie?

;D

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179