Author Topic: Barcelona Apartments  (Read 2779 times)

aquartertofour

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Barcelona Apartments
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
Me and a homie are gonna be in Barcelona for the month of February, and are wondering if anyone out there has a room or two for rent, or even a floor we can potentially crash on for a couple nights? Any help regarding a good site to find a cheap apartment on would be extremely useful aswell.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
Re: Barcelona Apartments
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
Look for Hostels or Couchsurfing.com

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
Hostels are super cheap. I've looked into it before. They're somewhere around $30 a night.

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »
Whenever I rent an apartment or anything like that, I do it through www.airbnb.com

Otherwise you should check out Kabul Hostel in Barcelona, it should be rather cheap and in a good location.

We found a rather expensive (don't know about your budget though) apartment in Barcelonetta, and it was defenitly worth the extra money since the location was perfect. So many great spots around that area and close to everything including a nice beach to chill on.

033sb

• Rep: 13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 03:04:03 AM »
i never took one but i saw some pretty nice ones @ www.shbarcelona.com

Sognar

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
I'm also planning to go there in the beginning of february, so the info about hostels you guys provided here is really helpful, thanks.

To all the dudes that have been there: is it OK to skate there at night alone without the fear of being jumped, robbed etc? All previous threads about Barcelona give different opinions on that topic.
Are there any bad neighbourhoods? What is the best area to rent a room in? Best Skateshops?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:50:16 PM by Sognar »

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
As long as you stay in lit areas with people around youll probably be ok, but getting wasted and wandering around on your own is not the best idea. Had a couple friends who got robbed just off la rambla.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
Only time I went to Barcy I was by myself and I skated late into the night with no problems from anybody. All the locals were really chill and the city always seemed pretty busy regardless of the time of day. But as with any city, I am sure there are bad neighborhoods where obvious foreigners shouldn't stray into. Use your best judgment, if the hood looks sketch, go somewhere else.

Human Onion

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
Barcelona is pretty safe. You shouldn't be worried about violent crime, only pickpocketing. Barca is known as a hotspot for pickpocketing, and the pickpocketers are very crafty.

Copy and paste from somewhere: "There are lots of pickpockets along the Ramblas and in the Raval, Barri Gotic and Port Vell (near where you will be). Try not to look too obviously on holiday eg don't carry a massive camera round your neck. When I lived there I twice had to shout out to stop pickpockets (both times they were Moroccan immigrants) from targetting careless Americans wearing baseball caps & talking loudly in English.

There used to be loads of women on the Metro carrying sleeping children and begging for money - don't give them any as they drug the children (who are often not theirs: the group is organised and share out children).

One trick (this happened to my friend on Passeig de Gracia) was for a young bloke to start speaking in English about football and then do a few football moves, jostling the person while they try to grab a wallet.

Having said all that, I went to all the dodgiest, seediest late night bars and I was fine as I didn't act like an idiot! "

The football-trick (soccer) is very common I've been told, and it actually happened to me. Twice! This morrocan kid came towards me shouting ronaldo (name of a soccer player) doing some soccer move all up in my face and before i knew it took my passport and cardholder out of my frontpocket. I started walking away, but soon turned around and pleaded with the guy, "come on", and he actually gave me my things back. Second time around I saw it coming and put my hands in my pocket, felt two hands very quickly trying to go into my pockets, not happening. Funny thing it was the same guy both times. haha. This happened in Raval which is one of the side streets to las ramblas. Don't bring too much money when you go out, and maybe put it in different places. Leave your creditcards at the hotel, especially when you go out at night. Just take the normal precautions and you'll be fine. Yeah, and not getting too wasted is always a good idea -- especially if you're alone.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:36:00 PM by Human Onion »

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
Sometimes, especially around La Rambla, its pretty chaotic and pickpocketing is very common. I have a few friends who have been robbed for their stuff because they were wasted and got lost in the small streets around La Rambla. They often don't do anything to you, just takes your cash and phone, no beat downs or anything. But as long as you use your head, nothing will happen.

Another thing, some of the main spots, especially Macba and Parallel, is pretty hectic as well. Don't leave your camera bag or anything like that. Those marrocan guys steal whatever when they have the chance, we brought a bike lock for out camera-bag and a small lock for the zipper and stuff. One of my homies took his shirt of because it was too warm and it was soaked - then 2 min later it was gone. Just make it as hard as possible to stel your stuff, because its hard to have an eye on them for the entire time you are at those spots. Better yet - don't bring nothing but a couple of euros for beer to those bigger spots. But most of the spots is out in the outer-areas of Barcelona, and out there nothing will happen. Not many people give a fuck about you skating there, and there isn't this chaos and loads of people around you, so it's easier to just put your bags and stuff down without them being stolen or anything. And maybe keep an eye on you things in the metro if its really crowded - pickpocketing as being said is pretty big here, but it's easy to avoid if you just think a little. Don't worry too much though.

If you go skating at night alone, its best to go to Macba. Lots of people and lots of light and 1 euro beers. Or the Barcalonetta banks is also ok to skate at night - good light and nothing will happen here.

Oh yeah, and don't start to gamble with those motherfuckers who stands on the rambla and takes bets on those small games they play and shit. It's all family schemes and shit like that. And if you buy a FC Barcelona football jersey, don't pay more than 10 to 15 euros - they are fake most of them unless you go to the stadium or official stores.

But don't be scared to go out at night at all, all of this stealing and pickpocketing shit is only a factor if you don't use your head or acts like a turist. It's a safe and amazing city. The metro works really good and the atmosphere is great.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »
I have used this site every time I go: http://rentals.loquo.com/english/barcelona

And the best advice I can give anyone going is to not get stuck in the city center. Take the metro to the farthest reaches of the city and just start pushing around. It is crazy the spots you can run into that you have never seen in a video. Even better is to take a train an hour or more outside the city and get off at a random stop. I found spots five years ago I still haven't seen in anything.

edit: And if you don't find anything the adventure can be half the fun. Plenty of hills to bomb in the search as well. It can help speed up the process!

Sognar

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »
Wow, thanks for the feedback dudes!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
don't worry about pickpockets. during the day you need nothing except 10 euros in your pocket and a skateboard. leave all the other stuff in your apartement, and you'll be fine. the only thing that ever got stolen from me while in BCN was a pack of marlboros out of my jackets side pocket (and that was due to the football trick.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:26:19 AM by pica »

aquartertofour

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, this thread has helped me out huge

matt.

• Rep: -6
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:02:15 AM »
you guys still looking for a room? i just moved into a place with a spare room

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
Matt.  You wouldn't happen to be from Australia would you? 

matt.

• Rep: -6
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:57 AM »
yeah, do i know you?

5fowty

• Rep: -3
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
Anywhere near the gothic quarter is really cheap, and your pretty much right next to las ramblas and a short walking distance to barceloneta. Anywhere near barceloneta towards that beach you will pay a lot for an apartment.

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »
Pretty selfish for a first post but I can't remember my old account details.

Planning on going solo to barca at the end of next month, for about a week. What do you reckon would be the best option, thinking about booking a hostel for a few nights then seeing what's up when I get there. Any thoughts.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 04:22:22 AM »
Whenever I rent an apartment or anything like that, I do it through www.airbnb.com

Otherwise you should check out Kabul Hostel in Barcelona, it should be rather cheap and in a good location.

We found a rather expensive (don't know about your budget though) apartment in Barcelonetta, and it was defenitly worth the extra money since the location was perfect. So many great spots around that area and close to everything including a nice beach to chill on.

I PM'd you about it RoedGroed, but...

does anyone else have any advice / experience with the www.airbnb.com website?

because i'm looking to book a 10 person apartment in Barcelona this June, and I've found a good one on this site, but it seems to operate so that you have to pay the total fees in advance rather than paying a deposit and then the rest of the cash on arrival. This is a bit difficult because of my friends' low money situations at the moment, and is also quite risky which is a bit off-putting...

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »
I'm not sure if it's still the case (as I've seen recent footage from this area) but the Canyelles district of the city is out of bounds. With the exception of the deceivingly difficult to skate bowl that's there that you're allowed to skate, street-skating will result in you getting fined/board taken...it happened to me. When I went to "buy" my board back from the police they had a huge stack of boards which they confiscated that very week. I'd say most people just can't be bothered going back to pay the 65 euro fine  so it might be in your best interests to go to the police station there in hopes of picking up a cheap set-up...  :P

One of the things that I found great was how friendly some of the store owners are. Generally the case is that two or three days into your stay you'll have configured which is the best/cheapest local shop for buying beers. They'll remember your face if you keep returning and will go out of their way to have a conversation with you/offer you colder beers than the ones you may already have. As well as that, it'll just generally be a more convivial experience than the supermarket. The qeues in the supermarkets can be ridiculously long during summer - as in, it wasn't unusual for me to be qeueing for thirty minutes in any of the supermarkets I visited.

Try and visit the markets for fresh fruit, cheese, bread etc. The one on La Rambla is pretty cool but is actually teeming with gypsies and thieves. Try and scour the web for any other markets that might be popping up throughout the city.

I might just be a pussy, but when I used the metro there I always paid the fare; the ticket-checkers are everywhere. You're best off purchasing a T10 card; it offers you ten journies for use on all transport services for around twelve euro. Obviously skateboarding/cycling would be your optimum mode of transport but it gets pretty hot there in summertime and sometimes if you really want to find a spot and save your energy, it's really worth spending the money on transport.

As far as apartments go - I got a really good deal on the ones I stayed in. However, and I don't mean to freak you out, but I've heard loads of stories about people's apartments getting raided by the very people that are letting it to you - and if not by those people, I believe they sell the keys to gangs. Try and make a good impression when you're meeting the person letting it out to you as I've a feeling that might have some influence on which apartment they "choose" to do it to. I know some group of dudes that were there a few years back and they returned one evening to their apartent to find that everything had went missing - passports, money, mp3 players, laptops... The only advice I can give you in this case is to hide your valuables within the apartment. I hid my stuff underneath a cupboard.

Barcelona is so rad though and don't let these stories put you off - sketchy shit happens everywhere. Saying that, one night I actually got chased by a junkie yielding a needle into a nightclub - that has most certainly not happened to me anywhere else in the world.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:18:17 AM by Smurph »

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
Oh yeah, cool. I didn't really direct it at you - it was just a general overview for whomever may stumble across it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:20:45 AM by Smurph »