Author Topic: Skaters win civil suit against Portland security firm  (Read 9242 times)

newhampster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7

NegativeCreep

Re: Skaters win civil suit against Portland security firm
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
good for them!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
Not saying people should go and sue the security company every time some altercation happens, but maybe this will set a precedent for this kind of situation. Congrats to them!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »
If you knowingly skate on private property then you should expect to be roughed up from time to time.

That they sued and won is just going to make it harder on other skaters the world over.

Particleboard Penguin

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »
If you knowingly skate on private property then you should expect to be roughed up from time to time.

That they sued and won is just going to make it harder on other skaters the world over.
How exactly might this one lawsuit "make it harder on other skaters the world over"? Such an ignorant statement...
Expect to get possibly get in an altercation, but don't be afraid to fight back by any/all means available.

NegativeCreep

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
nah cause this shows enforcers are not immune, reading the article made me mad but the dudes persevered and brought truth out and got all sorts of attention on it. fuck popular media and  law enforcement you abuse your privileges for wrong

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »

roughed up?  a kid got swung on with his own board by a uniformed guard.  get the fuck out of here.

The Magnet Man

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »
MY FUCKING BUSH.

Soty2020

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
should have been titled "Skaters get all spots shut down in Portland"

Nice work guys, way to keep shit on the DL

Joe Pesci

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »

yeah right because security guards at every spot go out of their way to fuck skaters up and try to get the company sued, all so skateboarding cant happen on that property. the dudes would have to just leave from security guards just getting in the way or something eventually anyway... its called excessive force

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »
Skateboarding is so pussy now.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »
Can't wait to see who will post the first comment claiming that a security guard getting his comeuppance is "ruining skateboarding".
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
From that footage it seems that both parties were in the wrong. But, excessive force is definitely there. A security guard is officially the first person I have seen make contact with a skateboard to another person's dome. That is sad. Should it really come to a plank of wood with metal fucking trucks being your weapon?
Stick up for your rights, just because they are the "authority", doesn't mean they actually know what the fuck they're doing.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

sluggers

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
You all should list your addresses so I can come krooked grind the hoods of your cars and then shit on your kitchen floors.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »

It's pretty sad to see skateboarders turn on the skaters in this case. People think it's acceptable for a lame-brained rent-a-cop who makes $8/hr to smack someone with a skateboard without any consequences? If this didn't come back on the guard and company then that would've set a much worse precedence, "it's ok to assault people with a deadly weapon for skateboarding." Fuck you. Fuck Sluggers. Look at the bigger picture instead of worrying about heightened security at a couple spots and the square was already a crazy bust anyway. At least the security will be more careful about how they kick people out. God knows what this security guard would've gone on to do if this didn't happen. The next skater he bludgeoned might not have been lucky enough to walk away from it. Standing up for your rights as a human being is more important than a couple skate spots. Besides, Portland has Burnside and some good parks in surrounding areas, they can afford to sacrifice a few spots so these guys could further expose the widespread problem with twats abusing their authority. It's not like these guys sued a property owner because they broke their ankle while skating private property, that's the stuff that hurts skating. If it wasn't skaters and didn't affect skating you hypocrites would probably be all on the side of the people getting attacked instead of turning on your own for selfish ass reasons. Sorry for the long rant just can't believe any of you guys would be mad at the skaters. And gotta point out that initially they seemed like they tried to "keep it on the DL" but it got carried away and got media attention before they really even exposed their identities. In the end they did the right thing by fighting back against the establishment that wanted them to bend over and take a fuckin.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
i dunno, no matter who started this or who was how much of a prick whatsoever, i'm just not sure about sueing other people in general, for whatever reason.
unless it's necessary. i would not be able to stand up again if that guard had hit my head with full force.
but this guy stands up in a second.
 maybe he's a badass and used to it, or the guard didn't even hit him full speed.
just sayin, it might be possible.
 it's fine with me to fight with him, it's fine with me to make him loose his lousy job, but sueing him/the company for over a million dollars?
i guess this has to be an american thing, they always want to sue each other.
things might be different when a lawyer sees the footage, and is all like "listen boy you could make a lot of money from this... just say yes you have to do nothing sit back and relax...."
 maybe then i'd change my mind but until that day i'd say sueing people for a million dollar, for a punch that didn't even knock anybody out is highly questionable.

nonetheless rentacops suck as you all know.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:35:49 PM by pica »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's pretty sad to see skateboarders turn on the skaters in this case. People think it's acceptable for a lame-brained rent-a-cop who makes $8/hr to smack someone with a skateboard without any consequences? If this didn't come back on the guard and company then that would've set a much worse precedence, "it's ok to assault people with a deadly weapon for skateboarding." Fuck you. Fuck Sluggers. Look at the bigger picture instead of worrying about heightened security at a couple spots and the square was already a crazy bust anyway. At least the security will be more careful about how they kick people out. God knows what this security guard would've gone on to do if this didn't happen. The next skater he bludgeoned might not have been lucky enough to walk away from it. Standing up for your rights as a human being is more important than a couple skate spots. Besides, Portland has Burnside and some good parks in surrounding areas, they can afford to sacrifice a few spots so these guys could further expose the widespread problem with twats abusing their authority. It's not like these guys sued a property owner because they broke their ankle while skating private property, that's the stuff that hurts skating. If it wasn't skaters and didn't affect skating you hypocrites would probably be all on the side of the people getting attacked instead of turning on your own for selfish ass reasons. Sorry for the long rant just can't believe any of you guys would be mad at the skaters. And gotta point out that initially they seemed like they tried to "keep it on the DL" but it got carried away and got media attention before they really even exposed their identities. In the end they did the right thing by fighting back against the establishment that wanted them to bend over and take a fuckin.
keep it easy bro, stay punk.

johnnymousedoom

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

someone gnar this man!

sluggers

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
Standing up for your rights as a human being?

WTF!?

Give me your address Schismatic, you obviously think skaters have a right to shit everywhere including your daughter/wife/mother's bedroom.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »
You all should list your addresses so I can come krooked grind the hoods of your cars and then shit on your kitchen floors.

4055 Fourth Detroit Mi 48201

Come Krooked grind my hood, I'll buy you a beer.

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
Since security guards were the first ones to use force, they assaulted the skaters. I don't see how anyone can argue that the skaters were in the wrong. I'm pretty sure when a criminal act is committed against you, and you cannot use the criminal court to resolve the issue, the civil court provides another opportunity to correct the wrongdoing.

sluggers

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
http://www.goodsearch.com/search.aspx?keywords=use+of+force+to+protect+property

In some states even deadly force is justifiable.

Skate at your own risk.

Now that these punks got paid for a mostly harmless swat on the head, corporations are going to do much more to prevent skating on their property.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »
 Laws and suing is for pussies they should have broken rent-a-cops' teeth so they cant eat any donuts.

Skate Edge

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
I can't believe that there are actually skaters who don't side with the skaters in this case.  That's some topsy turvy shit.

sluggers

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:54 AM »
Private property is property. Every skater knows they skate at their own risk.

You don't sue for a stupid altercation with rent-a-cops just like you never sue if you get hurt.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »

You don't sue for a stupid altercation with rent-a-cops just like you never sue if you get hurt.

I dont know whats the deal in America. In Europe a rent-a-cop can only tell you to get the fuck out and call the police. He is not allowed to touch you in any way. Suing is not my type of deal though id rather beat the rent-a-cop myself instead of having 2 year court fights.

If this is not the case in America well, you guys are fucked in the head.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:43:13 AM by Tufty »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
I can't believe that there are actually skaters who don't side with the skaters in this case.  That's some topsy turvy shit.

There used to be a long standing unwritten rule in skateboarding that you don't sue. I guess the philosophy was that it's better to keep spots on the down low so it won't be a total bust in the future.

There's also some ambiguity in this case as they made a conscious decision to fight back instead of taking the hits and playing victims (looks like they did both). From the kid's own interview I get the impression that he: is upset that one of the guards was rude and made fun of him; went home and hid out obviously not intending to do anything until media and lawyers took an interest and the prospect of money became apparent; declares that "life's too short"--why not walk away with $1.3 million and escape the moral implications.

sluggers

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 12:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I dont know whats the deal in America. In Europe a rent-a-cop can only tell you to get the fuck out and call the police. He is not allowed to touch you in any way. Suing is not my type of deal though id rather beat the rent-a-cop myself instead of having 2 year court fights.

In the majority of states you are justified in using deadly force if you find people trespassing and involved in illegality on your own private property.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »
I dont know whats the deal in America. In Europe a rent-a-cop can only tell you to get the fuck out and call the police. He is not allowed to touch you in any way. Suing is not my type of deal though id rather beat the rent-a-cop myself instead of heaving 2 year court fights.

This is the case in America, provided you're on public property or a commercial space accessible to the general public. I guess the root of the problem is that security jobs here are both undesirable to the average American and yet fairly easy to get (i.e., guards are nimrods). This is compounded by the fact that it's a convenient way for a company to have someone do their dirty work (almost all guard jobs are contract) without being personally liable if they go rogue. The company can always fire the guard, the contractor, or in this case let the security contractor absorb the legal consequences.