Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 234936 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: One In A Million NYC
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2012, 05:04:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Kennedy got on Iron Claw after OIAM and is now on Adidas.
[close]

yup.  also, matt got on skate mental.  both of them are having parts in my next video.

good

finknoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #451 on: February 17, 2012, 05:17:05 AM »
Why? How is it better? Vx looks amazing, what's there to improve on? Slap doesn't have the biggest budget either to just buy the newest hd shit,  have you seen the hd fisheye footage from this year?its laughable at best. That's their options, and I'd take vx over that nauseating shit.

i have no idea how they made the HD fisheye footage look that bad, gave me a fucking headache

Money Black

• Rep: 4
« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32:11 AM »
After watching that clip of Kennedy, I'm a fan. That was a really good part. There's a halfcab flip into a hill in the part that doesn't seem like much, but I know exactly where that hill is, a friend of mine lives at the top of it, and rolling down it at all is insane. Its as steep as hills get in SF, and goes straight into a wall. I don't know how he made the turn with the speed he picked up even going from the point he did. The whole part was really good, his style is amazing and he does really cool tricks, but I wanted to point that one out because I bet most people didn't even notice it.

you were joking about that halfcab flip right? or did we watch different clips.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »
Expand Quote
After watching that clip of Kennedy, I'm a fan. That was a really good part. There's a halfcab flip into a hill in the part that doesn't seem like much, but I know exactly where that hill is, a friend of mine lives at the top of it, and rolling down it at all is insane. Its as steep as hills get in SF, and goes straight into a wall. I don't know how he made the turn with the speed he picked up even going from the point he did. The whole part was really good, his style is amazing and he does really cool tricks, but I wanted to point that one out because I bet most people didn't even notice it.
[close]

That's what I thought too but re-watch... he starts hauling ass really quickly which is only gonna happen on a steep as shit hill.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

foureyedjim

« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
That gap to 5-0 was lame, thats being a asshole in a bad way

Lou is awesome, especially paired with mean man

It's funny because if you look closely, AS Josh is landing his gap 50-50, you can see Mikey creepin' in back about to tell the filmer what his next trick is gonna be (which is the clip they cut to after that). 

At the same time, I'm pretty sure they purposely edited it to make Mikey look like a dick haha

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
mikey is the black kid that did the gap 5-0 right? He's my favorite this year.

foureyedjim

« Reply #456 on: February 17, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »
And is it me or is Jon Finucan the master of scorpions?  He definitely has the most falls in the videos so far

trannies and mannies

« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
some of you are tripping. vx1mk1 city footage cant be beat. i think some people think the sd footage looks bad because its underexposed sometimes compared to the hd (whatever they use to actully film the episodes).

victor333

« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
some of you are tripping. vx1mk1 city footage cant be beat. i think some people think the sd footage looks bad because its underexposed sometimes compared to the hd (whatever they use to actully film the episodes).

ummm...why exactly do you feel the vx can't be beat? That just doesn't even make sense to me. It produces lesser video quality, therefore it can't be beat  ??? Now, I'm not saying it looks bad - that would be idiotic - but it just doesn't make sense why'd you'd prefer to see the same skate clip but in a lower resolution. I think some of you just need to hop off the nostalgia train. It's time to move on

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's what I thought too but re-watch... he starts hauling ass really quickly which is only gonna happen on a steep as shit hill.
You can never really tell by the angle. I've seen nothing hills made to look like something (see the "hill" with the hubba Silas wallied over, its NOTHING- though the trick was still a good one) and real hills made to look like nothing. granted, he's not going from the absolute top, I'm sure he's cruising.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Brooklyn Zoo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
ummm...why exactly do you feel the vx can't be beat? That just doesn't even make sense to me. It produces lesser video quality, therefore it can't be beat  ??? Now, I'm not saying it looks bad - that would be idiotic - but it just doesn't make sense why'd you'd prefer to see the same skate clip but in a lower resolution. I think some of you just need to hop off the nostalgia train. It's time to move on

There is a time and place for everything, Cali school yards look great in HD with a cliche slomo dolly shot, but something about skating fast though traffic just doesn't look right in HD, at least not as right as it looks on a Vx1.

Most Hollywood films are still shot on Film, while they make HD cameras now that can produce a almost identical image, why do they do that? because it gives you a look you just cant exactly get with Digital Video, you can come close but not spot on. should they get off the nostalgia train too?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:30:04 PM by Brooklyn Zoo »
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

diefuck

« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2012, 08:08:28 AM »
dont even start the vx1 shit in here because mandibleclaws vx1 stuff is total dogshit so of course its appropriate to be bummed on it. good vx1 however is unprecedented.

victor333

« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote
ummm...why exactly do you feel the vx can't be beat? That just doesn't even make sense to me. It produces lesser video quality, therefore it can't be beat  ??? Now, I'm not saying it looks bad - that would be idiotic - but it just doesn't make sense why'd you'd prefer to see the same skate clip but in a lower resolution. I think some of you just need to hop off the nostalgia train. It's time to move on
[close]

There is a time and place for everything, Cali school yards look great in HD with a cliche slomo dolly shot, but something about skating fast though traffic just doesn't look right in HD, at least not as right as it looks on a Vx1.

Most Hollywood films are still shot on Film, while they make HD cameras now that can produce a almost identical image, why do they do that? because it gives you a look you just cant exactly get with Digital Video, you can come close but not spot on. should they get off the nostalgia train too?

I suggest you read more...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinematography

You also have to take into account Digital filming has only been around for a few decades.

Nowadays, many movies are shot with a mix of digital and analog, with popularity of digital capture increasing every year.

edit: Not to mention, Hollywood films, whether shot with digital or film, both have very high resolutions.

In the case of the vx vs. modern-day HD prosumer cameras...it's not even a contest.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:10:35 AM by victor333 »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: February 18, 2012, 09:15:20 AM »
i'd love a vx 1000 reissue, that shots 4:3 and the same quality as the original vx, but records digital.
but i guess the market is not ready for taking a step backward and making the best out of old and new technology.

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
Expand Quote
ummm...why exactly do you feel the vx can't be beat? That just doesn't even make sense to me. It produces lesser video quality, therefore it can't be beat �??? Now, I'm not saying it looks bad - that would be idiotic - but it just doesn't make sense why'd you'd prefer to see the same skate clip but in a lower resolution. I think some of you just need to hop off the nostalgia train. It's time to move on
[close]

You have to be kidding...
Filter by Gravis
As for the second part of your post

"Most Hollywood films are still shot on Film, while they make HD cameras now that can produce a almost identical image, why do they do that? because it gives you a look you just cant exactly get with Digital Video, you can come close but not spot on. should they get off the nostalgia train too?"

1. I don't think you've been paying attention dude. More and more big budget Hollywood movies are shooting on digital since the advent of RED cameras and the Arri Alexa. For mainstream movies, shooting on film will be very rare by 2020. The major studios are pretty much trying to make all the directors use these cameras because you can't shoot 3D natively on film, you have to post convert it. Also, there's a lot less actual work involved when you shoot digital. They basically just want to save time and money.

2. The film vs video argument is not even close to being the same thing as the HD vs VX argument. Super 35mm has a resolution of around 5k and regular 35mm film has a resolution of around 4k. That's the same exact thing digital cinema cameras shoot. And don't even get me started on IMAX, there is no digital format that's even comparable to the quality that puts out. I get the point of what you were trying to say and I'm not trying to correct you or anything but what I'm basically saying is, shooting on film is practical in the sense of getting high quality images. There is no practical purpose for using a low resolution camera that was created in the 90s. When you shoot on vx at this point you're basically doing it for nostalgia. HD footage has higher quality than SD footage, period. This isn't even debatable.

With that being said, I don't even mind seeing VX footage. I don't care what someone chooses to film with as long as it looks good.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:45:16 AM by Kristi Yamaguchi »

victor333

« Reply #465 on: February 18, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ummm...why exactly do you feel the vx can't be beat? That just doesn't even make sense to me. It produces lesser video quality, therefore it can't be beat �??? Now, I'm not saying it looks bad - that would be idiotic - but it just doesn't make sense why'd you'd prefer to see the same skate clip but in a lower resolution. I think some of you just need to hop off the nostalgia train. It's time to move on
[close]

[close]
You have to be kidding...
Filter by Gravis
As for the second part of your post

"Most Hollywood films are still shot on Film, while they make HD cameras now that can produce a almost identical image, why do they do that? because it gives you a look you just cant exactly get with Digital Video, you can come close but not spot on. should they get off the nostalgia train too?"

1. I don't think you've been paying attention dude. More and more big budget Hollywood movies are shooting on digital since the advent of RED cameras and the Arri Alexa. For mainstream movies, shooting on film will be very rare by 2020. The major studios are pretty much trying to make all the directors use these cameras because you can't shoot 3D natively on film, you have to post convert it. Also, there's a lot less actual work involved when you shoot digital. They basically just want to save time and money.

2. The film vs video argument is not even close to being the same thing as the HD vs VX argument. Super 35mm has a resolution of around 5k and regular 35mm film has a resolution of around 4k. That's the same exact thing digital cinema cameras shoot. And don't even get me started on IMAX, there is no digital format that's even comparable to the quality that puts out. I get the point of what you were trying to say and I'm not trying to correct you or anything but what I'm basically saying is, shooting on film is practical in the sense of getting high quality images. There is no practical purpose for using a low resolution camera that was created in the 90s. When you shoot on vx at this point you're basically doing it for nostalgia. HD footage has higher quality than SD footage, period. This isn't even debatable.

With that being said, I don't even mind seeing VX footage. I don't care what someone chooses to film with as long as it looks good.

Thank you for expounding on what I said.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #466 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Why does every fucking thread turn into a Vx vs HD debate? Sick of this shit.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

foureyedjim

« Reply #467 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
Why does every fucking thread turn into a Vx vs HD debate? Sick of this shit.

I know a lot about technology and everyone needs to know.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #468 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
HD fisheyes suck. They figure that out and I'm down. but they really should figure that out
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Mad Max

« Reply #469 on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »
Isn't there a completely different forum for camera talk?

Back to the real issue at hand: Someone needs to make a montage of the number of times Finucan slides out hands down on his tricks. It's getting kinda ridiculous...

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #470 on: February 19, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

Back to the real issue at hand: Someone needs to make a montage of the number of times Finucan slides out hands down on his tricks. It's getting kinda ridiculous...

will do
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

foureyedjim

« Reply #471 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »

that and his scorpions...he needs to learn how to fall properly haha

whitehorses

« Reply #472 on: February 19, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
the gap to 5050 was way cooler in my mind. the overall feel of this being a "reality show" is really killing it for me.

jake johnson is the man, though.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #473 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:05 AM »
gravis should realy let everyone else know how to film HD, they got it right.

Not feeling the show atall this year to be honest, cant wait for the full skating edit though

PsychOut

« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:45 AM »

Mad Max

« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2012, 06:40:56 AM »
This car crash is getting pretty bad...

Yay - Alex's boneless into the courthouse bank/drop.

Nay - Everything else.

Dutch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
where the hell is the skating!

that sucked balls, they serious???

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:54 AM »
hoooooollllly shit this is dumb. and it sounds like someone else gets their board focused.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »
CCS hype, pro graphic contest, I'm thinking the contestants should be a little younger next time... as should the viewers...

Yeah and it's pretty dope they basically just replayed already seen footy and fully the episode with bullshit.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #479 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »
what the fuck was that