Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 234887 times)

mandibleclaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: One In A Million NYC
« Reply #600 on: February 23, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
eventually, the contestants said "fuck this" to the challenges and interviews and shit, and refused to do them.  another problem was the HD camera crew klein hired--they didn't skate, and didn't care about the kids.  so finally i just stole them all from the house of vans and left all the HD dudes behind.

so yeah.  it was a fucking nightmare.
[close]

I know that dude Tyler skates and I thought I saw him in the back with a dslr rig in one of the episodes, that sucks if he was down with all that silly shit.

If you have any behind the scenes "dude fuck this" kind of footy please put that up

no, tyler was only there for the first day, then left.  he's a cool dude.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #601 on: February 23, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, Alex made the show so kooky that it forced everyone to blow it off in a scene of reality-show hyper-confrontation - complete with Lurker Lou engaging in fisticuffs - providing Alex with his desired mass-appeal drama gold. In this case he is an evil genius who's master plan went right over your heads.

Think about it...

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »
So by the end of it, the rest of the skaters all boycotted the whole contest? I actually think that might be the best part of the show. Have it end in dramatic fashion where there are no winners.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #603 on: February 23, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, Alex made the show so kooky that it forced everyone to blow it off in a scene of reality-show hyper-confrontation - complete with Lurker Lou engaging in fisticuffs - providing Alex with his desired mass-appeal drama gold. In this case he is an evil genius who's master plan went right over your heads.

Think about it...

Ahem...

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #604 on: February 23, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Fair enough. Great minds think alike.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #605 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »
Holy shit! They did not just break out markers and shit for an immunity challange! These muther fuckers not graphic artists. That is why they hire graphic artists to do this shit and leave the skating to them.

If Slap was smart at the time, they should of did what any reality show company would have done and did a spin off series with Forrest. Maybe follow him as he tried to become an AM/pro for a company.

SLAP was smart, they gave it to Ride Channel.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #606 on: February 23, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »
They could have fired alex klein at any point before the guys quit/refused to participate. He also would have had to pitch the idea/premise to slap, so they aren't innocent, and likely knew exactly what was going to happen. How no one predicted this current backlash back during pre-production is surprising, and kind of pathetic.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

superslopp

« Reply #607 on: February 23, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »

Think about it...

this is honestly all i've thought about since i saw the high ollie contest episode. alex klein is trolling the hell out of the entire skateboarding community. we're onto you klein!

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #608 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »
Gonna be interesting to see how they attempt to wrap it up with everyone quitting

Mandible, looking forward to your montage/video, did you get a chance to interview any of the guys

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #609 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »
on an unrelated note that was a focus of debate before the show was made: nobody seems to be refusing to skate any NYC spot because its too sketchy. They commented on the roughness of con-ed banks, and then the kid who says he never skates banks noseblunt slid it
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Jack Wong

• Rep: 4
« Reply #610 on: February 23, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »
I really hope they pick up the pieces and do a 2011 style OIAM in 2013.  This shit is terrible but the concept still kills.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #611 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:06 PM »
Expand Quote

Think about it...
[close]

this is honestly all i've thought about since i saw the high ollie contest episode. alex klein is trolling the hell out of the entire skateboarding community. we're onto you klein!

I'm really starting to think this is a kind of genius move in order to show where skateboarding is going. I'm thinking all the shitty scenarios are made on purpose in order to see to what extent the skateboard community can accept the direction where the skateboarding is going.

It reminds me of PETA showing how they kill animals to show the cruelty of the food/fashion industry. I have the feeling it's a kind of artistic protest against what skateboarding is becoming, but it's really hard to find out wether it's made on purpose or not.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #612 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
In addition to everything else that's hilarious, I find it funny that there are people on Slap who don't know who these judges are.

And also, the editing is pretty confusing in this sometimes, people just pop out of nowhere. Like that kid with the glasses and facial hair, I can't recall any footy of him in these 4 episodes, I think he was introduced in the first ep but then became invisible.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Mad Max

« Reply #613 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that too. He does have a couple of random clips here and there e.g. fs180 switch nosemanual at the skatepark.
Being naive I told myself the invisible candidates were going to kill it later on. Unfortunately I was mistaken when skate footage was trumped by ridiculous colouring contests.

I swear to God, if one of the next challenges is to bake a dollar slice of pizza I will purchase the remaining stock of Alex Klein decks and burn them.

With slap in mind, I'm sure Alex thought a carpentry class with Popps would fly too.

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #614 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:22 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that too. He does have a couple of random clips here and there e.g. fs180 switch nosemanual at the skatepark.
Being naive I told myself the invisible candidates were going to kill it later on. Unfortunately I was mistaken when skate footage was trumped by ridiculous colouring contests.

I swear to God, if one of the next challenges is to bake a dollar slice of pizza I will purchase the remaining stock of Alex Klein decks and burn them.

With slap in mind, I'm sure Alex thought a carpentry class with Popps would fly too.

"It's important to have a plan for your life after skateboarding, so in today's challenge ...."

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #615 on: February 24, 2012, 02:55:13 AM »
this is what happens when you put skate related crap in the hands of non-skaters... for the consumption of non-skaters

makes me sad

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »
this is what happens when you put skate related crap in the hands of non-skaters... for the consumption of non-skaters

makes me sad

Dude, Alex Klein is a skater. That's what makes it even more insulting. If he was some random director/producer fuck, it would make a little more sense.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #617 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote

makes me sad
[close]

Dude, Alex Klein is a skater. That's what makes it even more insulting. If he was some random director/producer fuck, it would make a little more sense.

and he had full creative controll in this?

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #618 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

makes me sad
[close]

[close]

That's what everyone is saying, that this is 100% all on him. Read back a bit for the comments about lurker lou trying to fight him.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2012, 05:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

makes me sad
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's what everyone is saying, that this is 100% all on him. Read back a bit for the comments about lurker lou trying to fight him.

i understood that he was in charge but was not sure whether it was 100% his decisions... shame, oh the shame

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

makes me sad
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i understood that he was in charge but was not sure whether it was 100% his decisions... shame, oh the shame

Yeah there could of course be some reality tv writer plotting this thing as well (but Klein would have probably hired him then ;)

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #621 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
way too much skating in this episode.
[close]

Exactly.

Last year was soo good. Why would one ever change it. I dont get it at all. Can someone from Slap pls comment on that?
[close]

the producer/director was given full creative control this time.  last year, whitely had control.  this year, alex klein was given control.  he wanted to make it so it could be sold to a major network, etc.  everyone disagreed and fought with him on it--all the park skating, dumb challenges, etc--but he had a contract and would not back down. he wanted the show to be "accessible to people who didn't skate"; he wanted it to be able to be watched by fucking football players.  the judges, who i think ended up not being paid, were all so bummed and tried to change klein's mind at the end, but i guess they had signed contracts and couldn't get out of being in the final show.  billy rohan quit.  at the end, lou basically tried to fight klein.  so did some of the contestants.

eventually, the contestants said "fuck this" to the challenges and interviews and shit, and refused to do them.  another problem was the HD camera crew klein hired--they didn't skate, and didn't care about the kids.  so finally i just stole them all from the house of vans and left all the HD dudes behind.

so yeah.  it was a fucking nightmare.

Well thanks for the info. Fingers crossed Slap can do OIAM 2013 like it should be.

/Edit

You guys should put him into the next format. He is a character and he might be down. Think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J71HBuhHi_o&list=FLoW-P5REYXbHgiBhxhT4Chg&feature=mh_lolz
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:44:48 AM by AdrianLopez »

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #622 on: February 24, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
Do you mean that Bastien could be a guest judge, teaching all the kids how to respect yourself, pat yourself on the back so to say?

victor333

« Reply #623 on: February 24, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
I hope the season ends Bukake style.

Like, all the kids turn on Alex, and he says he's sorry and he just got caught up in it all.

And the kids say they'll only accept his apology if they get to Bukake him (the of-age kids, of course).

p.s. I really hope that doesn't happen. The kid playing with his penis might like it, though.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #624 on: February 24, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »
Like, all the kids turn on Alex, and he says he's sorry and he just got caught up in it all.
And the kids say they'll only accept his apology if they get to Bukake him (the of-age kids, of course).
p.s. I really hope that doesn't happen. The kid playing with his penis might like it, though.

what the fuck are you talking about?
you wanna see a bunch of young men blast loads on another male's face?
You should hang out with dragon slayer.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #625 on: February 24, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »

makes me sad

Alex Klein - Crime in the City

I think it's been posted in this thread before, but...

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #626 on: February 24, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
But some people don't read the thread that they post in
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

victor333

« Reply #627 on: February 24, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You have selective reading disorder...

you totally glossed over my 'p.s.' section

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #628 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You have selective reading disorder...

you totally glossed over my 'p.s.' section

No i totally read it,
somethings don't get joked about, male on male bukake is one of them.
Why the fuck would you even think that.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #629 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
I'm thinking about it right now...
@idealhandmades