Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 234840 times)

ice nine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: One In A Million NYC
« Reply #630 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »
This is oiam thread, no homophobes allowed.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #631 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
This is oiam thread, no homophobes allowed.
this is a great quote. considering how gay oiam actually is now.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #632 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
i'm not buying the alex klein trolling the industry thing. i feel like if that turns out to be the case, it wasn't preplanned, and it'll just be him using that as an excuse for failing. think about how they're promoting the shit out of mikey haywood:

dude didn't even make the original list of finalists, he was a bonus finalist or some shit like mango... but his video was terrible. objectively terrible in comparison with plenty of other finalists. he makes it somehow, then he introduces himself saying his friend was shot because he lives in a bad neighborhood. shit's sad of course, but hear me out, that's marketable as fuck (one of the most important things about skateboarding is being able to market yourself, remember?). on the ollie contest they have that dude talk about how mikey "can't go back to the hood" on the first elimination. he pretty much has the most screen time as far as i noticed. then mikey talks about his graphic being representative of his hard life and they play up his graphic and make him the winner when it honestly could've been anyone's game. the rules for judging seemed super arbitrary, one dude gets shit for putting his interests on it, but then they praise mikey for representing himself on the graphic? either mikey is predetermined to be the winner on some "pimp my ride"/rags to riches type shit, or everyone is afraid of/sorry for him.

victor333

« Reply #633 on: February 25, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
i'm not buying the alex klein trolling the industry thing. i feel like if that turns out to be the case, it wasn't preplanned, and it'll just be him using that as an excuse for failing. think about how they're promoting the shit out of mikey haywood:

dude didn't even make the original list of finalists, he was a bonus finalist or some shit like mango... but his video was terrible. objectively terrible in comparison with plenty of other finalists. he makes it somehow, then he introduces himself saying his friend was shot because he lives in a bad neighborhood. shit's sad of course, but hear me out, that's marketable as fuck (one of the most important things about skateboarding is being able to market yourself, remember?). on the ollie contest they have that dude talk about how mikey "can't go back to the hood" on the first elimination. he pretty much has the most screen time as far as i noticed. then mikey talks about his graphic being representative of his hard life and they play up his graphic and make him the winner when it honestly could've been anyone's game. the rules for judging seemed super arbitrary, one dude gets shit for putting his interests on it, but then they praise mikey for representing himself on the graphic? either mikey is predetermined to be the winner on some "pimp my ride"/rags to riches type shit, or everyone is afraid of/sorry for him.

Illuminati

assination of JFK

9/11 was an inside job

...OIAM is rigged with Mikey Haywood to win and provide a tale of chivalry, determination, dedication, and overcoming adversity.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #634 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Yeah I am pretty tired of hearing about how "hood" his life is... I mean, my buddy got shot on new years by some junkie when he was right next to me. He's still alive, but does that make me "hood" and marketable?
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #635 on: February 25, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
Yeah I am pretty tired of hearing about how "hood" his life is... I mean, my buddy got shot on new years by some junkie when he was right next to me. He's still alive, but does that make me "hood" and marketable?

Hell yeah it does! SLAP will probably be contacting you shortly.

foureyedjim

« Reply #636 on: February 25, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »

Is it just me, or is Mikey a bit annoying?  He get's a little too excited whenever Cardiel shows up (I'm sure anybody would be, but he seems to take it a little far, no?).  He also kinda stole that gap to grind trick at the hubba, literally the moment the other kid landed it (look back at the video, as the kid lands it, mikey is already walking up behind the cameraman to tell him the trick he's gonna do).  But at the same time, I'm not surprised.  It's like the show is conditioning these kids to show off as much as they can.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #637 on: February 25, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hope the season ends Bukake style.
Like, all the kids turn on Alex, and he says he's sorry and he just got caught up in it all.
And the kids say they'll only accept his apology if they get to Bukake him (the of-age kids, of course).
p.s. I really hope that doesn't happen. The kid playing with his penis might like it, though.
[close]

what the fuck are you talking about?
you wanna see a bunch of young men blast loads on another male's face?
You should hang out with dragon slayer.
[close]

You have selective reading disorder...

you totally glossed over my 'p.s.' section
[close]

No i totally read it,
somethings don't get joked about, male on male bukake is one of them.
Why the fuck would you even think that.

Every good idea has its naysayers. Even the heliocentric theory. Victor might be in company with Copernicus here.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #638 on: February 25, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »
They probably focus on ?mikey? because he is dumb and doesn't question what they have to do, and yea the marketing too. Look at him when it gets announced they have to draw their own boards, he gets excited.

But really he is in the 'reject weekend' video so I don't see how he could be a finalist. Adam simoni was the only guy I noticed wasn't in that video.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #639 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
Hell yeah it does! SLAP will probably be contacting you shortly.

Sick! I can't wait!

Is it just me, or is Mikey a bit annoying?  He get's a little too excited whenever Cardiel shows up (I'm sure anybody would be, but he seems to take it a little far, no?).  He also kinda stole that gap to grind trick at the hubba, literally the moment the other kid landed it (look back at the video, as the kid lands it, mikey is already walking up behind the cameraman to tell him the trick he's gonna do).  But at the same time, I'm not surprised.  It's like the show is conditioning these kids to show off as much as they can.

Yeah, even if that kid that did gap to 5-0 said he didn't care, that was still lame on hoodkid's part. Gap5-0kid patiently waited for his turn... then hoodkid just tries to one up him right after.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #640 on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
You guys are being way to harsh on Mikey. The 5-0 thing was lame for sure, but he isn't really focusing on the hood thing that much, he mentioned it at the beginning, and he mentioned it once with the board thing. He could be throwing it in people's faces and talking about how he does everything a certain way because of where he's from and this and that (and plenty of people do), but he really doesn't.
And talk shit on his video all you want, he's done some sick shit so far in the contest, his noseblunt on those banks, the noseslide down the sketchy indoor set rail, the gap to 5-0 actually was really gnarly, albeit kind of a biter move. It's not like he's terry Kennedy who was really terrible for the first 5 or so years of his career but got by on his image.

I came on to this thread though to refute the argument that it can only get worse from the coloring contest. That shit was boring, useless, and got in the way of skating. If the later challenges get worse than this they will probably be more offensive, and will have more of a trainwreck feel to them.

Also, anybody think these guys are probably less boring than they are shown to be, but that everybody becomes boring when forced to answer boring and stupid questions.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

foureyedjim

« Reply #641 on: February 25, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
You guys are being way to harsh on Mikey. The 5-0 thing was lame for sure, but he isn't really focusing on the hood thing that much, he mentioned it at the beginning, and he mentioned it once with the board thing. He could be throwing it in people's faces and talking about how he does everything a certain way because of where he's from and this and that (and plenty of people do), but he really doesn't.
And talk shit on his video all you want, he's done some sick shit so far in the contest, his noseblunt on those banks, the noseslide down the sketchy indoor set rail, the gap to 5-0 actually was really gnarly, albeit kind of a biter move. It's not like he's terry Kennedy who was really terrible for the first 5 or so years of his career but got by on his image.

I came on to this thread though to refute the argument that it can only get worse from the coloring contest. That shit was boring, useless, and got in the way of skating. If the later challenges get worse than this they will probably be more offensive, and will have more of a trainwreck feel to them.

Also, anybody think these guys are probably less boring than they are shown to be, but that everybody becomes boring when forced to answer boring and stupid questions.

Yeah, perhaps you're right.  It's not like I'm not open to the idea that he's a completely different person off the camera.  I guess you could say all my opinions about Mikey are only on what's shown on the videos.  I know people tend to vary in personality between real life and how they act in front of a camera.  I don't blame him, I just enjoy the parts where he talks lol

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #642 on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
seems like mikey is flow for element of or something? dude literally has element shit from head to toe all the time. i thought if you were sponsored you couldn't be in oiam? maybe he just realllllllly likes element? forgive me im rambling.

im probably lying

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #643 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah, I noticed that too. He does have a couple of random clips here and there e.g. fs180 switch nosemanual at the skatepark.
Being naive I told myself the invisible candidates were going to kill it later on. Unfortunately I was mistaken when skate footage was trumped by ridiculous colouring contests.

I swear to God, if one of the next challenges is to bake a dollar slice of pizza I will purchase the remaining stock of Alex Klein decks and burn them.

With slap in mind, I'm sure Alex thought a carpentry class with Popps would fly too.
[close]

"It's important to have a plan for your life after skateboarding, so in today's challenge ...."

I heard a dude got eliminated because when he presented his 10 year plan, he didn't want to have kids.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #644 on: February 26, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

My comment on it was sarcasm. Others, I am not so sure.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:31:35 PM by happenstance »

superslopp

« Reply #645 on: February 26, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My comment on it was sarcasm. Others, I am not so sure.

i was being fairly serious actually. it's really not that far-fetched of an idea.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #646 on: February 26, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »
http://boiltheocean.wordpress.com/

Boil the Ocean did a writeup on it which is a better read than anything in this forum.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #647 on: February 26, 2012, 11:59:07 PM »
They probably focus on ?mikey? because he is dumb and doesn't question what they have to do, and yea the marketing too. Look at him when it gets announced they have to draw their own boards, he gets excited.

It would be so funny if all the contestants decide to just quit with the bullshit and one guy cluelessly stays on. Then the last 3 episodes would just be him doing all the challenges by himself.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #648 on: February 27, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It would be so funny if all the contestants decide to just quit with the bullshit and one guy cluelessly stays on. Then the last 3 episodes would just be him doing all the challenges by himself.

Is that an 80s montage I smell?

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #649 on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »
10000 Maniacs NYC

To be honest this is the blah-est of all the OIAM's. Mah boi ain't never had no dumpling before. Clearly only in NYC do dumplings exist.

Fuck, kids are stupid. I ARE SKATEBOARDR SPONSARR MEH!

Those pro deck drawings are reminiscent of this:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=irule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqkn_Jwu0zs
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:38:27 AM by Wall of Nausea »

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #650 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
http://boiltheocean.wordpress.com/

Boil the Ocean did a writeup on it which is a better read than anything in this forum.

I love when Pilot Light puts "..., Dudes" in a post title.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #651 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
Is the boil the ocean thing tongue in cheek? If not I'd believe what colin says(that klein wanted to sell it to a tv network) over that dude's guesses.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #652 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And then he would get eliminated for not being able to guess the right number, 1 through 10.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

tkirtlee

« Reply #653 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
Shoulda Just Kept It in SF, it was way better.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #654 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
Is the boil the ocean thing tongue in cheek? If not I'd believe what colin says(that klein wanted to sell it to a tv network) over that dude's guesses.
makes the most sense to me. and if mikey hadn't been in the reject weekend video i would've bet money that he took the whole thing. alex klein is willing to shit all over a respected series to the extent that the first few episodes show, for the purpose of making it entertaining to non skaters and to sell it to a network; i wouldn't put it past him to just rig the whole show. especially when he knows that the eliminations he's making don't take into account one's actual talent in skateboarding. so he never has to worry about his predetermined choice not coming through during the day and getting eliminated for not being the weakest link. maybe the kid with the braces if he wasn't in the video, i think non skaters would be hyped on a random babyfaced kid becoming a pro.

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #655 on: February 27, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »
dam.

i thought these kids were actually pretty good skaters too...

yet, the show is in absolute ruin.     :(

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #656 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
10000 Maniacs NYC

To be honest this is the blah-est of all the OIAM's. Mah boi ain't never had no dumpling before. Clearly only in NYC do dumplings exist.

Fuck, kids are stupid. I ARE SKATEBOARDR SPONSARR MEH!

Those pro deck drawings are reminiscent of this:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=irule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqkn_Jwu0zs
maddox is the shit i been going there every day for years. wish he updated his site more though

im probably lying

Box of Frogs

• Rep: 7
« Reply #657 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Quote from: Squidwardo  link=topic=59290.msg1631189#msg1631189 date=1330369305

Like the problem with this years oiam is the location..

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #658 on: February 28, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »
i miss whiteley

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #659 on: February 28, 2012, 03:38:44 AM »
Quote from: Squidwardo  link=topic=59290.msg1631189#msg1631189 date=1330369305
Expand Quote
[close]

Like the problem with this years oiam is the location..