Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 234872 times)

Spike Hawke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
Re: One In A Million NYC
« Reply #780 on: March 04, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
So whats the next elimination going to be. Who gives the best manicures? I'm actually concerned for how this can get any worse. What sort of crazy shit is next?

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #781 on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #782 on: March 04, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
So whats the next elimination going to be. Who gives the best manicures? I'm actually concerned for how this can get any worse. What sort of crazy shit is next?
handsome contest? it ties back into the marketability thing kinda...

im probably lying

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #783 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
dude omg lurker lou is lyke soo mean u guys, i bet that dude can't even switch o on flatground
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #784 on: March 04, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
^ hahaha

i'm pretty sure i've read every reply in this thread and i haven't seen anyone bring up how awkward it is to watch dean's attempts at being funny, considering he's not funny at all. he kills it, but goddamn is he not funny. dude comes across as trying soooo hard to be funny, i have to assume that the people around him have to consistently give him awkward, forced chuckles just to keep him from going off in a corner to cry into his knees with his hood on.

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #785 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
^ hahaha

i'm pretty sure i've read every reply in this thread and i haven't seen anyone bring up how awkward it is to watch dean's attempts at being funny, considering he's not funny at all. he kills it, but goddamn is he not funny. dude comes across as trying soooo hard to be funny, i have to assume that the people around him have to consistently give him awkward, forced chuckles just to keep him from going off in a corner to cry into his knees with his hood on.

Yeah, I feel second hand embarrassment for him at those moments.
And I have absolutely no fuckin clue what he is talking about half the time.
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #786 on: March 05, 2012, 02:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
handsome contest? it ties back into the marketability thing kinda...
Wouldnt work. Steve Rod is way to ugly to be a Team Handsome judge, it couldnt be taken seriously. You would need to give Lou a beard trim and suit and cane to do the judging. Wait I can totally picture that. Sir Lou with an eye glass and shit. Cant wait for this now

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #787 on: March 05, 2012, 03:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"that shit would never fly"?

oh... damn. so, what about when you're on tour with a team going spot to spot and, one dude does something better then the other dude. is that an immediate fist fight? idiot. it's not like the kid did it to spite him, he was inspired by a new idea & added to it. just like everything. doesn't take away from the other dude having an original idea.
[close]
That shit killed Oiam for me this year. The ollie contest was eh, the coloring was strange but that right there was just fucking stupid. So if a friend and I go to a spot and he battles with a kickflip and finally lands it and I land switch flip that's me just being an asshole and he'll never forgive me? get the fuck out of here with that shit.
[close]
You guys seriously don't get it? The kid went out of his way to skate it a different way, and as soon as he does, somebody else happens to think of it too and do a slghtly better variation of it? That's not coincidence, that's biting. If you think you can go to spots and one up dudes immediately after they do tricks and that people will think you are cool you're an idiot. If I see a dude putting it out for the glory I let him have it and keep doing my own thing, I don't think "I'm going to do it better!" There is etiquette in skateboarding and that was genuinely bad etiquette. You are supposed to ask first at the least. Now, having people step forward and answer for the decisions made while skating and judging them like that is lame, but really, if they are going to do it, thats as legitimate of a thing to call out as any.
[close]

yeah I wouldn't call a kickflip down some stairs as thinking outside the box.� When you go to a spot and you put some thought into what you want to do, and land something nobody else is doing, you don't deserve to be out-done by a fellow skateboarder.

I guess that's where you draw the line.� You could say there's a certain level of respect that's due to someone who does their own thing.� Take this hypothetical example:� What if the moment Duane peters did his full loop, someone comes up behind him and does it switch and steals his shine?� That's pretty disrespectful if you ask me.� I'm not saying Josh's trick is as revolutionary as the loop, but he put the effort into thinking of his trick, what did Mikey do?� He stole an idea, and that's like...a violation of intellectual property rights and shit...hah
[close]
ok that was a shitty comparison. But isn't this a competition? I know that sounds shitty but the point of the series is kind of to show what you got. I'm sure that goofy looking kid that got one upped wasn't bumming too hard on it. And what can you expect from a competition where they just had a high ollie contest?
[close]
Even in contests you are supposed to do your own thing.  Its stupid to dwell on though, he was cool about it in the end
a contest is a contest. it's not like he was snaking turns or disrespectful to anyone like you said. & maybe he didn't skate it while the other kid did so it wouldn't mess with him or bum him out. the kids didn't seem to care at all. i think they just really had to add drama wherever possible. looking at skateboarding like that is totally negative. everything progresses eventually.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #788 on: March 05, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
This shit sucks. Like, seriously, that the fuck is this? This is like MTV type shit.
That's exactly what the producer is going for.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #789 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

oh... damn. so, what about when you're on tour with a team going spot to spot and, one dude does something better then the other dude. is that an immediate fist fight? idiot. it's not like the kid did it to spite him, he was inspired by a new idea & added to it. just like everything. doesn't take away from the other dude having an original idea.
[close]
That shit killed Oiam for me this year. The ollie contest was eh, the coloring was strange but that right there was just fucking stupid. So if a friend and I go to a spot and he battles with a kickflip and finally lands it and I land switch flip that's me just being an asshole and he'll never forgive me? get the fuck out of here with that shit.
[close]
You guys seriously don't get it? The kid went out of his way to skate it a different way, and as soon as he does, somebody else happens to think of it too and do a slghtly better variation of it? That's not coincidence, that's biting. If you think you can go to spots and one up dudes immediately after they do tricks and that people will think you are cool you're an idiot. If I see a dude putting it out for the glory I let him have it and keep doing my own thing, I don't think "I'm going to do it better!" There is etiquette in skateboarding and that was genuinely bad etiquette. You are supposed to ask first at the least. Now, having people step forward and answer for the decisions made while skating and judging them like that is lame, but really, if they are going to do it, thats as legitimate of a thing to call out as any.
[close]

yeah I wouldn't call a kickflip down some stairs as thinking outside the box.� When you go to a spot and you put some thought into what you want to do, and land something nobody else is doing, you don't deserve to be out-done by a fellow skateboarder.

I guess that's where you draw the line.� You could say there's a certain level of respect that's due to someone who does their own thing.� Take this hypothetical example:� What if the moment Duane peters did his full loop, someone comes up behind him and does it switch and steals his shine?� That's pretty disrespectful if you ask me.� I'm not saying Josh's trick is as revolutionary as the loop, but he put the effort into thinking of his trick, what did Mikey do?� He stole an idea, and that's like...a violation of intellectual property rights and shit...hah
[close]
ok that was a shitty comparison. But isn't this a competition? I know that sounds shitty but the point of the series is kind of to show what you got. I'm sure that goofy looking kid that got one upped wasn't bumming too hard on it. And what can you expect from a competition where they just had a high ollie contest?
[close]
Even in contests you are supposed to do your own thing.  Its stupid to dwell on though, he was cool about it in the end
[close]
a contest is a contest. it's not like he was snaking turns or disrespectful to anyone like you said. & maybe he didn't skate it while the other kid did so it wouldn't mess with him or bum him out. the kids didn't seem to care at all. i think they just really had to add drama wherever possible. looking at skateboarding like that is totally negative. everything progresses eventually.
nah dude, gipper's on point with this one, that shit is only cool in like the maloof money cup or the xgames or some shit. this may be a contest but they're essentially just going out and having a regular session at a spot, it wasn't a best trick competition. the proper etiquette is to ask the dude if he minds that you try it when you go for it that soon after he's done it, to which no one who isn't bobby puleo would object. it's a formality but it shows that you aren't doing it for the purpose of shitting on the other dude, you just wanna try the trick. but actually, it would be funny if klein, in arranging that, did it for the purpose of teaching all the kids watching that that shit isn't cool, cause most kids really don't know and do that shit all the time at skate parks like it ain't no thang. but it's a going overboard to say "let the dude live" as if no one is allowed to skate something the way you did it if you're the first to think of it.

i can't lie though, that gap to 5-0 was tight as hell, i ain't mad at it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:38:08 AM by Gomez »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: March 05, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
Alex Klien in discussions for Slap's OIAM for 2012. Biker Sherlock rumored to host.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #791 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

yeah I wouldn't call a kickflip down some stairs as thinking outside the box.? When you go to a spot and you put some thought into what you want to do, and land something nobody else is doing, you don't deserve to be out-done by a fellow skateboarder.

I guess that's where you draw the line.? You could say there's a certain level of respect that's due to someone who does their own thing.? Take this hypothetical example:? What if the moment Duane peters did his full loop, someone comes up behind him and does it switch and steals his shine?? That's pretty disrespectful if you ask me.? I'm not saying Josh's trick is as revolutionary as the loop, but he put the effort into thinking of his trick, what did Mikey do?? He stole an idea, and that's like...a violation of intellectual property rights and shit...hah
[close]
[close]
Even in contests you are supposed to do your own thing. ? Its stupid to dwell on though, he was cool about it in the end
[close]
[close]
nah dude, gipper's on point with this one, that shit is only cool in like the maloof money cup or the xgames or some shit. this may be a contest but they're essentially just going out and having a regular session at a spot, it wasn't a best trick competition. the proper etiquette is to ask the dude if he minds that you try it when you go for it that soon after he's done it, to which no one who isn't bobby puleo would object. it's a formality but it shows that you aren't doing it for the purpose of shitting on the other dude, you just wanna try the trick. but actually, it would be funny if klein, in arranging that, did it for the purpose of teaching all the kids watching that that shit isn't cool, cause most kids really don't know and do that shit all the time at skate parks like it ain't no thang. but it's a going overboard to say "let the dude live" as if no one is allowed to skate something the way you did it if you're the first to think of it.

i might just be too stoned or too stupid but, your wording & sentance selections really just confused me. you go back & forth in between points. ever spot is created by someone skating it a certain way. there's a first to everything, therfore an 'original'. the dude from lbc may have done a trick that's considered "better" then what the first kid did but, the first kid made the original idea & followed it through. the concept that someone did a harder trick on the same spot afterward never should take away from the original trick/skateboarder. like i said it didn't seem like it was attempt at spiting the first dude, just a kid getting inspired to do a trick on a new obstacle. you guys should be hyped on that.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #792 on: March 05, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
what the fuck you guys are thinking about this way too hard

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #793 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

yeah I wouldn't call a kickflip down some stairs as thinking outside the box.? When you go to a spot and you put some thought into what you want to do, and land something nobody else is doing, you don't deserve to be out-done by a fellow skateboarder.

I guess that's where you draw the line.? You could say there's a certain level of respect that's due to someone who does their own thing.? Take this hypothetical example:? What if the moment Duane peters did his full loop, someone comes up behind him and does it switch and steals his shine?? That's pretty disrespectful if you ask me.? I'm not saying Josh's trick is as revolutionary as the loop, but he put the effort into thinking of his trick, what did Mikey do?? He stole an idea, and that's like...a violation of intellectual property rights and shit...hah
[close]
[close]
Even in contests you are supposed to do your own thing. ? Its stupid to dwell on though, he was cool about it in the end
[close]
[close]

[close]
i might just be too stoned or too stupid but, your wording & sentance selections really just confused me. you go back & forth in between points. ever spot is created by someone skating it a certain way. there's a first to everything, therfore an 'original'. the dude from lbc may have done a trick that's considered "better" then what the first kid did but, the first kid made the original idea & followed it through. the concept that someone did a harder trick on the same spot afterward never should take away from the original trick/skateboarder. like i said it didn't seem like it was attempt at spiting the first dude, just a kid getting inspired to do a trick on a new obstacle. you guys should be hyped on that.
obv too stoned.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #794 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ hahaha

[close]

[close]

i actually don't think he's even trying to be funny, he's just one weird motherfucker.  i was definitely scratching my head.  nice, genuine dude though, kills it for sure.
I'm so down for Dean. That kid definitely just comes off as weird to me. Between the end of that one episode where he's telling random stories about him and his friends while he's getting stitched up and shit, and his general approach towards skating, both reckless and filled with weird tricks make him come off as genuinely eccentric. The judges seem completely weirded out by him and don't know how to say that they think he is weird as fuck but that somehow it works. Its great. I love people like that.
If anybody comes off as trying to be funny its probably Josh, but I like him anyway. I like all the kids, I think part of it is the fact that I feel for these genuine kids who are all legitimately good skaters being put through some phony bullshit that everybody hates by some fake ass motherfuckers, and are handling it well despite the fact that there's no way they could have expected this... can't wait until they walk off though.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

victor333

« Reply #795 on: March 05, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ hahaha

[close]

[close]

i actually don't think he's even trying to be funny, he's just one weird motherfucker.  i was definitely scratching my head.  nice, genuine dude though, kills it for sure.
[close]
I'm so down for Dean. That kid definitely just comes off as weird to me. Between the end of that one episode where he's telling random stories about him and his friends while he's getting stitched up and shit, and his general approach towards skating, both reckless and filled with weird tricks make him come off as genuinely eccentric. The judges seem completely weirded out by him and don't know how to say that they think he is weird as fuck but that somehow it works. Its great. I love people like that.
If anybody comes off as trying to be funny its probably Josh, but I like him anyway. I like all the kids, I think part of it is the fact that I feel for these genuine kids who are all legitimately good skaters being put through some phony bullshit that everybody hates by some fake ass motherfuckers, and are handling it well despite the fact that there's no way they could have expected this... can't wait until they walk off though.

Agreed on pretty much all accounts.

And, real talk, at the risk of sounding too gay, it's cool hanging out with people like Dean - always in a good mood, light-hearted, free-spirited, etc. People that give off good vibes are good to be around. And I wish I was more like that sometimes, instead of being so darn jaded and pessimistic

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #796 on: March 06, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »
Alex Klein - Crime in the City

I wonder if he's repeating the lyrics "this will all blow over in time".

Dick Moranus

• Rep: -4
  • You're a loser
« Reply #797 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
Lol you guys are silly.  This is like the best OIAM yet.  8)

eastenders

• Rep: -115
« Reply #798 on: March 06, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »
This is the fucking worse shit i have ever watched. at least something like street dreams, street leauge, mtv etc. you can actually laugh at it. This is literally impossible to sit through

shit_for_brains

« Reply #799 on: March 06, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
This is the fucking worse shit i have ever watched. at least something like street dreams, street leauge, mtv etc. you can actually laugh at it. This is literally impossible to sit through

at least street league always has skating in it.

PsychOut

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #801 on: March 07, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #802 on: March 07, 2012, 07:07:53 AM »
A fucking barrel jumping contest?
More like a shark jumping....

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #803 on: March 07, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
This will be the next elimination.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #804 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:03 AM »
Did you guys hear one of the judges say "today was a big disappointment"

What do you expect? They were stuck at a skate park!

oneshovel

« Reply #805 on: March 07, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »
Very subtle product placement from MD.  Wish there would've been more dickheadishness but that one Rodney quip has me excited for next week. 

And before the usual 30 people say how whack this episode was.. You're all hooked on it so clearly Klein did a good job.  Any viewer or participant of this Mountain Dew commercial should know better to expect some boring, unscripted, core skateboarding program.  It's supposed to be this stupid because they want everyone to watch it, not just old slap dudes wanting to see pure street skating.

I bet the whole "skaters get fed up and abandon contest" was part of the plan too.  With that said, I'm glad to enjoy this entertainment for what it's worth.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #806 on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »
Very subtle product placement from MD.  Wish there would've been more dickheadishness but that one Rodney quip has me excited for next week. 

And before the usual 30 people say how whack this episode was.. You're all hooked on it so clearly Klein did a good job.  Any viewer or participant of this Mountain Dew commercial should know better to expect some boring, unscripted, core skateboarding program.  It's supposed to be this stupid because they want everyone to watch it, not just old slap dudes wanting to see pure street skating.

I bet the whole "skaters get fed up and abandon contest" was part of the plan too.  With that said, I'm glad to enjoy this entertainment for what it's worth.
klein?
MN -> IL

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #807 on: March 07, 2012, 08:31:53 AM »
Did you guys hear one of the judges say "today was a big disappointment"

What do you expect? They were stuck at a skate park!

One of the most important aspects of skateboarding is knowing how to skate an indoor park.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #808 on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
And before the usual 30 people say how whack this episode was.. You're all hooked on it so clearly Klein did a good job.

The worse the car wreck, the slower the rubberneckers drive by it in hopes of seeing something they'll probably regret immediately after.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:03 AM »
Eric Cartman kid is hilarious.