Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 234876 times)

NowhereInLife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
Re: One In A Million NYC
« Reply #810 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
i lulzed.  the key is to keep your expectations pretty low or nonexistent.

reminds me of being twelve again when you measured everything in whole numbers...of course these are grown men.

Unbridled Technical Precision

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -329
  • C.H.Z.
« Reply #811 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Did you guys hear one of the judges say "today was a big disappointment"

What do you expect? They were stuck at a skate park!
[close]

One of the most important aspects of skateboarding is knowing how to skate an indoor park.

ah but you forgot the cardinal rule. you must learn how to market yourself first. then and only then, you can finally begin to skate down your path to greatness.

A.J.K.

« Reply #812 on: March 07, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
The taildrop, noseblunt pull in and frontside pivot were all sick.  At the beginning of the series I thought that dude was just going to be a shitty version of Chris Milic but apparently not.

Creep300

• Rep: -5
« Reply #813 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
shit i guess this is entertainment. this is a mockery to the old ONE IN A MILLIONS!

smellyfart

« Reply #814 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
5-0 yank in was dope. and the dude that did that long switch smith. that was sick.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #815 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
Very subtle product placement from MD.  Wish there would've been more dickheadishness but that one Rodney quip has me excited for next week. 

And before the usual 30 people say how whack this episode was.. You're all hooked on it so clearly Klein did a good job.  Any viewer or participant of this Mountain Dew commercial should know better to expect some boring, unscripted, core skateboarding program.  It's supposed to be this stupid because they want everyone to watch it, not just old slap dudes wanting to see pure street skating.

I bet the whole "skaters get fed up and abandon contest" was part of the plan too.  With that said, I'm glad to enjoy this entertainment for what it's worth.
We're laughing at him, not with him. If you think the only people who think watching coloring contests are stupid know how to kickflip you are a moron. This thing is a car wreck and its fun to laugh at what a stupid asshole Klein is, no more, no less. If you want to say he's a genius because he exploited kids and ruined his reputation for some minor entertainment, fine, but there are less socially and personally damaging ways to do that. He still failed.

Oh, and look at one of the first pages, I hella called barrel jumping elimination. HELLA called it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

trannies and mannies

« Reply #816 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
I hope it was worth it for Klein since the whole skate community is laughing right at him.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #817 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
Lurker Lou is the truth in my book.... 100% NY OG on the real...

Dude's cool, but he's from New England, so "100% NY OG on the real" is factually inaccurate.

Also, that Finucan kid should rethink the spliffs if he's like 20 years old and doesn't know what a dumpling is. I mean, Jesus Christ, what the fuck?

Obviously, I'm a few episodes behind.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #818 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
lurker lou should be replaced with geo moya
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

irn bruised

• Rep: 0
« Reply #819 on: March 07, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »
how many feebles is too many feebles? and did anyone else think that dude doing the lineson the 1/4 and flatbar had more than enough time to throw in a flatland trick in between obstacles.. seemed to roll for ages!

pull in from the top shelf was sick though... i dont think they showed enough barrell jumping though, or mountain dew logos, or drama this shit is balls

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #820 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
This contest is fucked but I'm not going to lie, the barrel jumping was kinda crazy. That seems super sketchy.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #821 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »
You guys are being way to harsh on Mikey. The 5-0 thing was lame for sure, but he isn't really focusing on the hood thing that much, he mentioned it at the beginning, and he mentioned it once with the board thing. He could be throwing it in people's faces and talking about how he does everything a certain way because of where he's from and this and that (and plenty of people do), but he really doesn't.
And talk shit on his video all you want, he's done some sick shit so far in the contest, his noseblunt on those banks, the noseslide down the sketchy indoor set rail, the gap to 5-0 actually was really gnarly, albeit kind of a biter move. It's not like he's terry Kennedy who was really terrible for the first 5 or so years of his career but got by on his image.

I came on to this thread though to refute the argument that it can only get worse from the coloring contest. That shit was boring, useless, and got in the way of skating. If the later challenges get worse than this they will probably be more offensive, and will have more of a trainwreck feel to them.

Also, anybody think these guys are probably less boring than they are shown to be, but that everybody becomes boring when forced to answer boring and stupid questions.

There's something weird goin' on in the drawing challenge. Obviously none of the judges have art history degrees, but Steve Rod has worked in advertising and 5Boro is always looking good, Lou puts paint on shoes and walks on things, you know he's up in dem art shows, look at that beard...Can't speak for Rodney's aesthetic sensibilities but he sometimes matches his hat and shoes which should be an automatic DQ...

Bottom line: All of that artwork was fucking unbelievably terrible and Mikey's was amongst the worst. He is clearly, whether on his own or at the behest of the producer, emphasizing the "hood-ness" that he embodies, which is a cheap trick at best. "Cops chasing people..." Cool, dude. Good job. The concept of the challenge is dumb as fuck anyway and it should not have been conducted in the first place, but shit, man, kids can't even write their own names legibly in 2011?
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #822 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
hey look skating! i like that

The barrel jumping was a ton of fun. more challenges like that less arts and crafts.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #823 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
You guys are being way to harsh on Mikey. The 5-0 thing was lame for sure, but he isn't really focusing on the hood thing that much, he mentioned it at the beginning, and he mentioned it once with the board thing. He could be throwing it in people's faces and talking about how he does everything a certain way because of where he's from and this and that (and plenty of people do), but he really doesn't.
And talk shit on his video all you want, he's done some sick shit so far in the contest, his noseblunt on those banks, the noseslide down the sketchy indoor set rail, the gap to 5-0 actually was really gnarly, albeit kind of a biter move. It's not like he's terry Kennedy who was really terrible for the first 5 or so years of his career but got by on his image.

I came on to this thread though to refute the argument that it can only get worse from the coloring contest. That shit was boring, useless, and got in the way of skating. If the later challenges get worse than this they will probably be more offensive, and will have more of a trainwreck feel to them.

Also, anybody think these guys are probably less boring than they are shown to be, but that everybody becomes boring when forced to answer boring and stupid questions.
[close]

There's something weird goin' on in the drawing challenge. Obviously none of the judges have art history degrees, but Steve Rod has worked in advertising and 5Boro is always looking good, Lou puts paint on shoes and walks on things, you know he's up in dem art shows, look at that beard...Can't speak for Rodney's aesthetic sensibilities but he sometimes matches his hat and shoes which should be an automatic DQ...

Bottom line: All of that artwork was fucking unbelievably terrible and Mikey's was amongst the worst. He is clearly, whether on his own or at the behest of the producer, emphasizing the "hood-ness" that he embodies, which is a cheap trick at best. "Cops chasing people..." Cool, dude. Good job. The concept of the challenge is dumb as fuck anyway and it should not have been conducted in the first place, but shit, man, kids can't even write their own names legibly in 2011?
The fact that you are trying to engage with me on the quality of the drawings in the contest is fucking pathetic. Who gives a shit whose drawing was the best? The kid mentions it in his intro video, then drew a picture of the corner he lived on, and that's it over like 5 episodes, meaning he has mentioned it less than once per episode, whoa man, he's milking it  ::)
 Whose drawing was the best? I could give a shit. That's exactly why that challenge was stupid. It was boring to watch and who gives a fuck who won? It's not like I was thinking "John's graphic is the best! He BETTER win!!!" and then was heartbroken to see some far worse graphic win. I was just pissed because I already lost for sitting through the episode.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #824 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
damn that barrel jumping shit was lame! but that crazy drop in the bank that josh kid did was crazy!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

foureyedjim

« Reply #825 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »
lmao at whoever edited this.

"I've never been in a subway.  There's so much action and so much stuff going on all the time"

This quote being played to park footage is not, in my opinion, the best choice lol

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #826 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
the clip of alex doing the backside ride along the long skinny bank went by really fast, but that was the most insane thing that went down at that park, period.  seriously, that was fucking impossible.  like some cardiel-level shit to make it across that.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

foureyedjim

« Reply #827 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
the clip of alex doing the backside ride along the long skinny bank went by really fast, but that was the most insane thing that went down at that park, period.  seriously, that was fucking impossible.  like some cardiel-level shit to make it across that.

Yeah I couldn't tell how steep anything was.  Wish there was a different angle

Nicolas

• Rep: 4
« Reply #828 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »
I like the skating, these guys are talented. Such a shame that this is the way they are being exposed to the industry!

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #829 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:52 AM »
No wonder some people, even pros are avoiding industry as much as possible. Seems like its filled with a bunch of cunts.
Rodneys quote about dissapointment was spot on. Being one he sure knows one when he sees it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #830 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:32 AM »
i like the guy that skates like omar salazar. he made everyone elses footage seems so lame and predictable except that country guy with glasses. that guy had a really sick lazy style.

barrel jumping was best of the lame challenges but the hat cam was annoying. it's good that they aren't using the lame challenges to eliminate and it was good to see cards get some more time.

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #831 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........... . . . . . . .    ..  ..     ..  ..   .
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #832 on: March 08, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »
More second angles on the barrel jumps PLEEEEEEAAAAASE!!!!!!!
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

trannies and mannies

« Reply #833 on: March 08, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
the helmet cam shot of the kid drinking the mountain dew  was horrible

thunderwood

• Rep: -18
« Reply #834 on: March 08, 2012, 07:29:08 AM »
I feel so bad for These kids.  How lame would that be to roll an ankle or something trying their lame barrell challenge?  R.I.P. OIAM

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #835 on: March 08, 2012, 09:38:02 AM »
I'm sorry, you are eliminated from the contest because you cannot jump for a dozen barrels. Keep practicing.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #836 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »
I'm sorry, you are eliminated from the contest because you cannot jump for a dozen barrels. Keep practicing.

in fairness the challenge was for immunity during the rose ceramony

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #837 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

in fairness the challenge was for immunity during the rose ceramony
hahahahaha

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #838 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
fuck man i dont drink enough mountain dew

trannies and mannies

« Reply #839 on: March 08, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »
fuck man i dont drink enough mountain dew
your sperm count must be at full capacity.