Author Topic: Why Longboards Suck  (Read 27786 times)

happenstance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Why Longboards Suck
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »
Looks like he's about to lose half his truck, nuts sticking out way too far.

O wait he's never ridden it before, just a fashion gimmick for most
You realize you are hating on Gonz, right?

I went to UC Berkeley which is built on a hill so it was regularly over-run with wide carving bros surfing the walkways. Only problem is the whole school is built on a hill and they could never stop. I would see them take out pedestrians and I saw a few runaway longboards here and there. Those things should require safety classes and they give us a bad name.

One positive thing to say is that I used to see this longboard pro in Berkeley when I lived here the first time back in 2004. He fucking ripped. He could do 4 foot high tuck-knees in the deep end of the bowl every try. Rumor has it that he is the only one to transfer from the big wall in the street course into the deep end of the bowl (lien to tail. Is that what you call it if you do a straight transfer with no 180?). If you have been there you would know that is unfathomable. I couldn't find a good picture that shows how gnarly this is.

Left side of the photo. The deck is at least 10 feet across.

Rcurry

• Rep: -7
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
you dumbasses clearly dont know shit about longboarding. tell yourselves its the easy form of skating once youve railed a right sweeper at 60+mph or have thrown down slides upwards of 40mph
http://www.skatehousemedia.com/08/03/2011/abec-11-slide-masters-dont-sweat-the-technique

Texas-Talimena Takover

skatin is skatin get over yourselves

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »
^ dingle berry ^
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
you dumbasses clearly dont know shit about longboarding. tell yourselves its the easy form of skating once youve railed a right sweeper at 60+mph or have thrown down slides upwards of 40mph
http://www.skatehousemedia.com/08/03/2011/abec-11-slide-masters-dont-sweat-the-technique

Texas-Talimena Takover

cool story bro

HOUSTON, TEXAS!

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

longboarding is not skating.

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
you kids have no idea you think skate longboarders are bad try surfing. actually dont

Preck.

• Rep: -20
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 12:31:43 AM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

nice first post.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:22 AM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

sup brah

Dirty Sprite

• Rep: -5
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

If you are one of the dudes who bomb mountains going 80 MPH all the power to you. Otherwise longboards to me are just used to increase the down time when you are switching spots.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

C'mon dude, you know this isn't the place for you...I'm sure you'd be much happier in a Sector 9 Forum or Concrete Wave Forum...You're like wearing a meat suit in a Lion's Den saying "skating is skating" around these parts...

I just hate these fucks in the park - as long as you go to the hills where you can "bomb" and try to create a car accident or shatter your ankle, I'm fine with it. nothing is worse than one of these fools running into you - they'll fuck your ankles up at a minimum.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

dude, you made me look at longboarding in a new light, i have a new found respect for you guys and everyhting you stand for. you are right sk8ten is skatin.

Rcurry

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »
if youre saying our style doesnt make as much sense because many drivers dont understand that we can stop at high speeds and choose to make dumb desicions, than you have not spent enough time on a board because any style of skating has its dangers but that doesnt make it suck haha its part of the sport. i started off on a popsicle pushin around and messing with trick skating when i was much younger. i switched over to a bigger board with a longer wheelbase and have been stuck on it ever since, and have been able to keep skating bc you do fall much less and its usually much more controlled.  i have fun no matter what im skating, it just doesnt make much sense to skate street too often with bad ankles and a janky back after years of different injuries. part of the problem is trying to separate the styles so far apart bc they all do tie into each other so much. i dont say im gonna go longboard when i wanna dh or freeride and i dont say im gonna go street skate if i feel like messin with tricks; i just say im gonna skate. its just about enjoying what youre doing. if youre on a skateboard which is simply 4 wheels and a plank of wood how is it not skating? i understand you dont want the typical 'dudebro longboarder' doing dumb shit at your park but it just looks bad on your part when you try to generalize me as a sector 9 fanboy as well. i probably wouldve posted much different videos if that were the case. however they have stepped their game up and have been making good stuff. the idea of hating on any company just cuz has become rampant. i am a fanboy though...not of sector or loaded or even original but of bombsquad. a company right here in my town that started from the ground up and makes some bad fuckin boards. and i have no problem standing behind them. so talk all the shit you want about different styles of skating, but itll just make you look like an arrogant close minded fool not willing to try new things. really damn fun things like slidin down the steepest roads and tryin to hit as fast as you can on the speediest hills. you really are missing out. it may not be your favorite style but why all the hate on your own sport

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »

I've never seen any longboarders do that type of shit in real life. Everyday on the train, bus, the side walks and on my campus I see dudes either carrying long boards or "riding" them. I can honestly say I've seen more people carrying them than riding em.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

marshalbanana

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
I dont think its the longboards that we hate, its the people we usually see who ride them. I live in Nor Cal and this place is overrun by them. The biggest douchbags ride them and give longboarding a bad image.

Chocolaterain

• awesome
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »
I dont think its the longboards that we hate, its the people we usually see who ride them. I live in Nor Cal and this place is overrun by them. The biggest douchbags ride them and give longboarding a bad image.

Exactly, the longboarders that I have met are people who call "shortboarders" dicks small because the ride a smaller board, act like they are the fucking greatest thing ever and try to one up everything that you do with "bombing a chill hill bra"

foureyedjim

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41:36 PM »
Let's just not get along and hate each other. 

I don't know why we're questioning the dynamics of everything.

I mean c'mon, let's be honest, some people just love being "above it all" and act like they don't hold some judgement towards certain groups of people. 

Yes, I know not all longboarders are a bunch of bro's, but that doesn't change the fact that I think most people looks dumb doing it.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
You can almost feel rcurry's rage.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »
I'm going to return briefly to what I believe to be the main point of this thread, why longboards suck.

First, and most importantly, they lack the ability to deal with curbs, therefore making them infinitely less fun (and convenient) in cities.

Also, they are too damn big to be convenient to take certain places (you can get away with bringing your skateboard to a bar/show, but a longboard must be a hassle).

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of tricks you can't do on a longboard, that can be done on a skateboard.

You guys go through so many damn sets of wheels! I don't understand how anyone who was good at longboarding and didn't have a wheel hookup could even participate regularly.

Unless you have a car, you have to walk up every hill you bomb. (Other option: Flatground, anyone?)

No complies: anyone here not familiar with what is considered a no comply in longboarding, please see video below:

Longboard Trick Tip: Heel Side No Comply Slide

I could go on for days. Face it, longboards are limited and inferior to skateboards in every way but one, and that is they go faster. If that is worth it to you, super. But I'm gonna continue bombing hills on my skateboard. AND doing tricks. AND having style. no helmet, slide gloves, or board paddle necessary.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »

Texas-Talimena Takover

I would have to agree with your point, sir.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »
I'm going to return briefly to what I believe to be the main point of this thread, why longboards suck.

First, and most importantly, they lack the ability to deal with curbs, therefore making them infinitely less fun (and convenient) in cities.

Also, they are too damn big to be convenient to take certain places (you can get away with bringing your skateboard to a bar/show, but a longboard must be a hassle).

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of tricks you can't do on a longboard, that can be done on a skateboard.

You guys go through so many damn sets of wheels! I don't understand how anyone who was good at longboarding and didn't have a wheel hookup could even participate regularly.

Unless you have a car, you have to walk up every hill you bomb. (Other option: Flatground, anyone?)

No complies: anyone here not familiar with what is considered a no comply in longboarding, please see video below:

I could go on for days. Face it, longboards are limited and inferior to skateboards in every way but one, and that is they go faster. If that is worth it to you, super. But I'm gonna continue bombing hills on my skateboard. AND doing tricks. AND having style. no helmet, slide gloves, or board paddle necessary.
Now thats an interesting point that i've never actually pondered. They are in fact inferior to our trick sticks and are heavy as hell. But I still see them as skaters. They just ride a skateboard that evolved in a different way from our boards, but they're still skateboards. I understand the point about douchey people riding them, but way should we act like we're better than them? We all ride on a piece of wood with wheels, bearings and trucks.

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »
your skateboarding is so much cooler than mine.

but i digress.    :-X

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »
your skateboarding is so much cooler than mine.

but i digress.    :-X
All good, my man ;)  
Im also one of those crazy people who like pigeons lol so I guess my opinion on this topic will naturally be a neutral one.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:50:30 PM by ORGANIKARL »

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:28 AM »
well, for one it aint a fuckin' sport.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2012, 12:41:49 AM »
oh organikarl you are far to kind

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
ahha clamy shuttin fools down. get the fuck out of here you bro-ass bitch rchodey

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2012, 03:43:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Now thats an interesting point that i've never actually pondered. They are in fact inferior to our trick sticks and are heavy as hell. But I still see them as skaters. They just ride a skateboard that evolved in a different way from our boards, but they're still skateboards. I understand the point about douchey people riding them, but way should we act like we're better than them? We all ride on a piece of wood with wheels, bearings and trucks.
Ok, I admit that last bit was a little self indulgent, but the rest was pretty realistic compared to a lot of this thread. I was actually hoping to steer the discussion towards what people actually do with skateboards vs longboards, and my point being that skateboards permit a much wider range of use and offer more potential in terms of creativity and artistic expression.

For the record, it is a person's mindset that determines wether or not they are a skater, and nothing else.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

Wall of Nausea

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2012, 07:18:27 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2012, 07:28:08 AM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
We need some James Kelch up in this goddamn thread.

The Mayor would set some shit straight when was the last time you saw a longboarder like this?

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Ok, I admit that last bit was a little self indulgent, but the rest was pretty realistic compared to a lot of this thread. I was actually hoping to steer the discussion towards what people actually do with skateboards vs longboards, and my point being that skateboards permit a much wider range of use and offer more potential in terms of creativity and artistic expression.

For the record, it is a person's mindset that determines wether or not they are a skater, and nothing else.
Well said! I agree 100%