Author Topic: Thin Wheels  (Read 6864 times)

agmccomb

Thin Wheels
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »
What are some brands that make a thinner wheel? I've found some Momentums and Golds to be on the thinner side but not all of them. Any other brands out there who make them?

myrrh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Thin Wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »
Some Satori and Bones are.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
hubba makes thin wheels.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
alot of omar salazar and guy mariano spitfires are classic thin, that's usually what i ride, i prefer a thinner wheel.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
Plan B wheels are super thin...

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
if your shops sells those cheap lil blank wheels for $20 sometimes they'll have a few pairs that're fairly thin. i've had a few pairs like that some myself and thought they were coo... can anybody tell me whats the "difference" between riding thinner or wider wheels?

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »
if your shops sells those cheap lil blank wheels for $20 sometimes they'll have a few pairs that're fairly thin. i've had a few pairs like that some myself and thought they were coo... can anybody tell me whats the "difference" between riding thinner or wider wheels?

They're lighter, i'd assume. I think it would be weird to skate them, trying to ride on thin wheels rather than wider wheels doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
they are lighter and less grippy

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
Loads of companies have thin wheels, you just got to look. I was told years ago that thin wheels tend to be better for coping as they tend to have rounder edges and wide wheels tend to have more of a square edge which makes them better for ledges. Never really paid any attention to it though, probably did without realising

degobra

• Rep: -2
    • Flickr. avatar image
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »
sugar has some really good thin ones. also skated some satori and hubbas but i felt they were kinda shitty after a few weeks flatspots allday. think i was skating 48s or 50s at the time so maybe a good 52 54 would skate better.

b.v.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
A wider wheel has more surface area, meaning it's more stable. If you're a ledge skater it makes it harder to slide, but also less likely to flatspot. Narrower wheels have less surface area, meaning more slide and lighter and more likely to flatspot.
As far as shapes go, rounded edges release easier on ledges and rails and generally work better for tech skating. Square shapes lock onto coping and rails better without slipping out.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
Try these, i only ride thin profile wheels. Slimmer the better
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

victor333

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »

I feel like wider wheels cone faster, but that's just completely anecdotal from my personal experience.

Also, while I'd say wheel composition makes a bigger impact on grip, in general, a wider wheel may grip better and slide less?

I personally prefer to ride thinner wheels. I only skate street, if it matters. I also think thinner wheels look better, for what it's worth.

For the OP, most Bones STF wheels are pretty thin, some more than others. You can check the dimensions of each wheel on their site. I think I remember seeing them get down to 28mm in width. I'm pretty much STF for life, too. They really are good wheels.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
i've never ridden thin wheels. but these look thin

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Hannity

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »
autobahn aero series is good, too

agmccomb

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »
thanks for all the replies. I've rode thin wheels for a long time and weight wise I doubt there is a noticable difference when your actually skating, kind of similar to riding different trucks. I just like the response of a thin wheel for certain tricks and I deal with the downsides by preference.

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
go buy some SML wheels or Picture Wheels

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
A wider wheel has more surface area, meaning it's more stable. If you're a ledge skater it makes it harder to slide, but also less likely to flatspot. Narrower wheels have less surface area, meaning more slide and lighter and more likely to flatspot.
As far as shapes go, rounded edges release easier on ledges and rails and generally work better for tech skating. Square shapes lock onto coping and rails better without slipping out.

that actually helped me out thanks bro. i was getting my crooked grinds on LOCK until i got a new pair of wheels and then all of the sudden my consistency with them went straight to the shitter. i had a suspicion that it was the wheels but i dont really like to blame my gear for shit like that. it is kinda crazy tho cuz like i said i could do a clean 6-7 foot crooked grind within a few tries and now i get stoked if i can just land a sloppy one for any length. the newer wheels are considerably larger & wider so i guess it really does make a difference
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:26:12 PM by DaSk8D00D »

degobra

• Rep: -2
    • Flickr. avatar image
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
Try these, i only ride thin profile wheels. Slimmer the better

fuuuck good call! picked up a pair today new wheels are the shit!

Clarence

• Rep: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
go with sml's or bones

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
the slim 52 mm stf, always

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:00:39 AM »

Archers of Chaka

• Rep: -10
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 07:29:21 AM »
I prefer a wheel that is somewhere in the middle, not too thick and not too thin. The 53mm spit classic shape is the perfect wideness to me.
Tried some thin stf's once and they were a little too slick for me. I like sliding my tricks, but I also want my wheels to grip when I need them too, and these wheels would just slide all over the place no matter what.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
I normally ride a thick wheel due to the fact that I ride size 54 wheels.

I'd love to be able to find a thin wheel at 54mm. 54's are perfect because I ride Indy standards so the taller the wheel, the faster response to pop. Currently, I'm riding Streetburners and I fucking love them but the shop that I work at just started carrying Satori's.

Anyone here ever try Satori's? Are they durable, slide well and ride well...?

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 03:42:47 AM »

I'd love to be able to find a thin wheel at 54mm. 54's are perfect because I ride Indy standards so the taller the wheel, the faster response to pop. Currently, I'm riding Streetburners and I fucking love them but the shop that I work at just started carrying Satori's.

i tryed them.
basically the team model are too soft for me i prefer the pro model are harder and last long.
i'll like to try the recycle  but never find them at the shop.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 07:04:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i tryed them.
basically the team model are too soft for me i prefer the pro model are harder and last long.
i'll like to try the recycle  but never find them at the shop.

Funny enough, we have a bunch of the recycled formula Satori's at our shop. I'm probably going to go with those next. Thanks for the info.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »

gonna so go OT. wouldn't a bigger wheel.. let say.. "taller".. create a longer throw for your tail or nose hence actually creating a "slower" response ?

on the thin or mid or fat. thats all preference.  thin wheels on say, an 8.5 look weird to me. but then some wide wheels like. mike anderson's spits would look hella weird on a 7.75 imo.

autobahn's aero and ABX wheels are crazy thin. not just in surface area but the whole dang wheel

b.v.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »
Generally that is true. But there are variables to the equation. Steepness of tail, wheelbase,height of the truck. Generally the higher off the ground your setup is, the harder it is to hit your tail. But the increased velocity makes you pop that much higher. So it can be inconsistent, but bigger. I find I can only ride a larger wheel on a flatter board.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
ok im gonna hella dork out.
and just cause i'm curious. didn't major in physics.
if one took their set up. it had lets say 52s on. and put on 54s. the throw of the tail is longer.. (by 1mm). hence the "response" would be slower.. but probably not in any kind of noticeable way.

now. with the idea that being higher off the ground creates more power.
im not sure i agree with this. yes you have to press on your tail harder. but because of the longer throw. (the throw being the distance the tail needs to go to hit the ground), so your gonna loose some of that extra power to travel the extra distance. and because your fighting gravity with pretty much everything here. the higher you would  need to raise the nose of your board before the snap.. would in theory increase the gravity pulling down on your board.. hence slowing down one's "snap" ? i think.
but with the steaper incline of your board. you in theory, could have more surface area, and height. to pull your board up higher.

anyways. i'm pretty sure a set up with low trucks, and small will will have a faster response when it comes to popping. but that doesn't mean it has bigger pop. or that bigger pop actually means you can ollie any higher. if you can only jump 1 foot in the air. you can only ollie 1 foot in the air.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
i like thin wheels, but even more i think i like fat wheels in like 51 or 52 mm sizes. im really liking the bones 100s since they dont flatspot but they arent as hard as stfs, and they also dont have that square shape stfs get