Author Topic: anyone ever bought a parking block?  (Read 14114 times)

formeitscrazylike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
anyone ever bought a parking block?
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
are there places that sell these things to regular ass people? Would DPW have em? Loews or Home Depot?

I have a splendid idea of where to put 2 of them to make an awesome spot.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:56:43 PM by formeitscrazylike »

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
Re: anyone ever bought a parking block?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Steal 'em from DB Mart.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
i got a misdemeanor for stealing one..

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »
Yeah just steal them.

apad88

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
go to a construction site hella stealth and swoop on some! Good luck with D.I.Y bud.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »
thing is i don't have a car so we need to use someone else's. so if there's a camera or some shit they get pinched and i would feel terrible. plus how would one get them off of those metal spikes using only people and hand tools?

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
These guys make plastic ones:

http://www.parkingblock.com/

This is a good question, but Yoda would kick your ass for making a thread about it, instead of searching the net for an answer.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »
These guys make plastic ones:

http://www.parkingblock.com/

This is a good question, but Yoda would kick your ass for making a thread about it, instead of searching the net for an answer.

yeah found rubber ones too, but i want concrete blocks. can't order those online i don't believe. something about 1000$ shipping for a 20$ block or somethin

apad88

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
thing is i don't have a car so we need to use someone else's. so if there's a camera or some shit they get pinched and i would feel terrible. plus how would one get them off of those metal spikes using only people and hand tools?
Damn that is a problem seeing how heavy they are, as for getting caught up stealing one they probably wouldn't notice just a couple gone so I wouldn't sweat it. In construction sites they usually have them piled up on top of each other with no metal spikes in them because they're brand new.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »
I don't know if anyone will read this or do it but here goes:

I have made them with a friend before and they came out great. The parking block flatbar at the Oakland DIY spot everyone was skating for a while was made with them. It is pretty easy. Before I explain the design I will say all the surfaces on the inside that will actually form the parking block should be lined with trash bags. This will give them a sheen that is really smooth on the outside. Take a 2 x 6 and nail 2 x 4s on top of the 2 x 6 (so it looks like a bar of staples). Then cut the edge off two more 2 x 4s at a 45 degree angle and screw those onto the top of the 2 x 4s that you originally attached to the 2 x 6. And lastly you cut out end caps (of course you can make them at any length). This will create a form of a parking block with an open top. You need to make sure your structure is sturdy because a lot of concrete is going inside. Start packing cement inside (and I mean pack it in. Pound it with wood or trowels). Fit 2 pieces of rebar inside at some point. Really pack it down until you fill it and then trowel the exposed surface and seal it with another 2 x 6 with the edges cut at a 45 on each side so it fits together (will of course have to trim it down a little. A 2 x 4 would be too small for this purpose). Let it sit for a day, unwrap it and then let it dry as slowly as possible by keeping it as wet as you can (poor water on it a few times that day).

Not sure if that is decipherable, but it is easier than it sounds. We made 3 four foot parking blocks in a few hours and it came out better than any parking block flatbar I have skated. And to actually make the parking block flatbar we just used liquid nails. It is easy, quick and was totally durable (that barking block flatbar was skated a lot).

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »

The camera situation would probably depend on the spot. We found a shit ton of marble a couple of weeks ago, all about 4 x 14 inches. Their were about maybe 200 of them there, we took 10 of them. Their were cameras around that we noticed after we got out of there in my car, but I don't think they would even check them unless a substantial amount of supplies were lost.

HOUSTON, TEXAS!

smellyfart

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
There are most likely abondoned buildings or places that have gone out of business around your town. Go pry them up.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »

I have made them with a friend before and they came out great. The parking block flatbar at the Oakland DIY spot everyone was skating for a while was made with them. It is pretty easy. Before I explain the design I will say all the surfaces on the inside that will actually form the parking block should be lined with trash bags. This will give them a sheen that is really smooth on the outside. Take a 2 x 6 and nail 2 x 4s on top of the 2 x 6 (so it looks like a bar of staples). Then cut the edge off two more 2 x 4s at a 45 degree angle and screw those onto the top of the 2 x 4s that you originally attached to the 2 x 6. And lastly you cut out end caps (of course you can make them at any length). This will create a form of a parking block with an open top. You need to make sure your structure is sturdy because a lot of concrete is going inside. Start packing cement inside (and I mean pack it in. Pound it with wood or trowels). Fit 2 pieces of rebar inside at some point. Really pack it down until you fill it and then trowel the exposed surface and seal it with another 2 x 6 with the edges cut at a 45 on each side so it fits together (will of course have to trim it down a little. A 2 x 4 would be too small for this purpose). Let it sit for a day, unwrap it and then let it dry as slowly as possible by keeping it as wet as you can (poor water on it a few times that day).

Not sure if that is decipherable, but it is easier than it sounds. We made 3 four foot parking blocks in a few hours and it came out better than any parking block flatbar I have skated. And to actually make the parking block flatbar we just used liquid nails. It is easy, quick and was totally durable (that barking block flatbar was skated a lot).

First, that ledge was the most fun I have ever had while grinding, no exaggeration. Only got to skate there once but I skated that ledge more than anything else by far. Thank you.

Second, any pictures of the process? I'm picturing a wood tube of sorts with the inside the shape of a parking block, then once end blocked off [and trash bags n whatnot] then you tip it up so it's standing tall and fill it with crete and rebar?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

First, that ledge was the most fun I have ever had while grinding, no exaggeration. Only got to skate there once but I skated that ledge more than anything else by far. Thank you.

Second, any pictures of the process? I'm picturing a wood tube of sorts with the inside the shape of a parking block, then once end blocked off [and trash bags n whatnot] then you tip it up so it's standing tall and fill it with crete and rebar?
No pictures, sorry. No, you don't stand it tall to pack the cement. The top part where you grind is the exposed part where you fill it with cement.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:31:39 PM »
You should make a diagram cuz that's confusing and I wanna actually do that and succ at making things without good instructions.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
So I just talked to my friend about it because he was the brains behind the operation. It was easy enough though that I think you guys can do it. He told me of a new design that he said works better. Basically to make the mold in reverse so that the bottom of the parking block is the exposed part. He said it came out so smooth he didn't even need to wax it to grind it the first time. I will have to rethink the design explanation. I am down to make a diagram. Is there a free online illustrator I can use that I don't need to download?

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
MS paint, SON!

plankskate

• Rep: 8
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »
are there places that sell these things to regular ass people? Would DPW have em? Loews or Home Depot?

I have a splendid idea of where to put 2 of them to make an awesome spot.
I bought mine from a concrete company.  Look in the yellow pages, you're sure to find a place.
I got two delivered for $75.   Delivery was half the cost because the company's lot was pretty far from my house.
I keep one in front of the house and one in the basement to skate during the winter.

They're heavy as hell but I move them around with these:

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
ax and you shall receive. thanks, man.

there's actually a category on yellowpages.com for "Concrete blocks and shapes." some of the places aren't too far away either.

thanks again, I'll send you pictures of the creation

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »
quit being a bitch and start stealing

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
you don't need tools to get them off of the spike, just lift straight upward and it comes right off.
Don't steal one from a parking lot that has cameras, every parking lot has them, even abandoned ones
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »
anyone bought a cellar door?

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
Hahaha where do you live where there are no cellar doors everywhere?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »
not a single skateable cellar door in my entire city.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
(reposted) VID RELATED

Wh0l3

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »
(reposted) VID RELATED

I like that the business owner isn't too bummed and thinks it's funny. Helps my faith in humanity. Thanks!

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
So I just talked to my friend about it because he was the brains behind the operation. It was easy enough though that I think you guys can do it. He told me of a new design that he said works better. Basically to make the mold in reverse so that the bottom of the parking block is the exposed part. He said it came out so smooth he didn't even need to wax it to grind it the first time. I will have to rethink the design explanation. I am down to make a diagram. Is there a free online illustrator I can use that I don't need to download?

http://skateandannoy.com/2010/10/diy-parking-block/

There's a pic of a similar mold on there. You could probably figure out how to make it from that without a diagram, but honestly that seems like a lotta work for just a parking block

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »
I got one for $20 from a local concrete company. But shipping was $100 so i had to pick it up. It's super fun though, i still skate it every day. Just don't overwax it, I boardslide it right after i waxed it and slipped and dislocated my elbow, not a good experience.

Just google "Concrete companies in (your city name)"
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

slapmyassandcallmesally

• Rep: 0
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »
I have the luxury of having  a dad that works for a place that makes cement things. My dad got me two parking blocks about two feet long each and probably around 4 or 5 inches tall. We have slabs of concrete they're 3 feet long and about a foot wide, they weight a ton. I plan on taking the parking blocks across the street to a park , their is a nice ass trail that is all side walk, we live on a hill so the trail zig-zags down the hill. I plan on leaving the blocks in the bushes in plastic bags and taking them out of hiding when i want to skate them. And for the 3 foot long slabs i don't know yet. I could make a really nice ledge if i lift the slab up on cinder blocks.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »
(reposted) VID RELATED

Psh, "far more valuable things inside"? Yeah right, those wooden tables wouldn't grind for shit!