Author Topic: Battle At The Berrics 5  (Read 170032 times)

Zach M.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Battle At The Berrics 5
« Reply #450 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Keelan has balls.  comin' out all guns blazing. If he continues on this trajectory he will become the mid-00's Gilbert Arenas of skating.

Mountain Dew patch on snapback is not cool though, i know we live in T.E.T.'s (as Berra likes to say) but c'mon bro
[close]

Seriously dude? Having corporate sponsors is not selling out, it just means more money in your pocket so you can pay the bills. When will people realize this? I'm currently writing music and it's not for the money, it's for the love. But I'd have to be really stupid to hope for a career in music in which I don't make any money and live a life of poverty...that just simply makes no sense.
[close]

Would you sign with a shitty label if they were the first to offer you a paycheck?
[close]

That's not even the point. Bottom line is skateboarders and all other athletes/artists are entitled to make money for being good at what they do. How they make the money is THEIR business, not yours and doesn't speak less of their character unless it's against their integrity. Maybe it simply doesn't bother him to be sponsored by Pepsi and they offer a lot of money. Would you ditch an opportunity like that just because it's a big corporation?
[close]

Yes.

If I were in the position to be paid by a giant corporation, then I'm good enough to pull an offer (a smaller one, obviously) from a company that I actually respected, and wanted to be associated with. I would absolutely pass on the six figures for a smaller check to help support and promote something I would have been a part of anyway, without them paying me for it. Would you wear Ku Klux Klan gear for a big enough paycheck? That's all you're really saying with the "Who cares what they stand for, get the money" approach. People have different morals. Some people find giant corporations evil. Other people don't. Lets be honest, though, a lot of the guys in skateboarding who have giant sponsors aren't doing it because they love the product, or support how Nike shoes are made. They just want the check.

But that's just me, and some people.

Maybe Keelan is on the opposite side of the fence. Maybe he doesn't have a problem with giant corporations, and he's actually really fucking psyched on Mountain Dew. If he doesn't have a problem with these companies, why the fuck wouldn't he take a giant check from them?

Sorry/drunk rant.

I completely understand where you're coming from on this and your last paragraph pretty much states what I was trying to say. It's no one's fucking business but his who he chooses to associate with. I also think that a lot of people in this thread don't seem to get that making money is an essential part to being a skateboarder for a living....how are you going to continue to do it if you can't afford gas to travel and food to eat.

On a lighter note, been there done that, everyone has a drunk rant every now and then  ;)

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #451 on: March 13, 2012, 01:50:24 AM »
listen man, if you are a pro skateboarder you are a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. sponsorships are where most of your income comes from. some people would rather drive a Benz or be able to put there family ina nice big house. its important to still have fun with the shit and enjoy what you do but at the end of the day everything you do with your career cant be 100% "for the love". its easy to say you wouldnt turn the money down, but there are (a few) wealthy pros who make much more than your average upper-middle class person. if you wanna make the $$$ like that by simply skateboarding all day you gotta make a few sacrifices. some of yall might look at a target or red bull sponsor as lame & not authentic, but to the person signing that contract they might feel like its a good deal given there own personal circumstances. people are gonna do what they feel is best for them. i say as long as you keep skating and putting out footage, sign with whatever sponsors you want. you're a professional athlete, getting endorsement deals & the perks that come along with it is an easy way to come up.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #452 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
Keelan is the best.

dude is a breath of fresh air (jordan)

his DGK part will blow minds.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #453 on: March 13, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »
listen man, if you are a pro skateboarder you are a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. sponsorships are where most of your income comes from.

But most "PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE"s are judged in a very quantifiable way.  If you can score a certain amount of points or run a certain time or help your team win no one is going to talk shit on your gear, music selection, corporate endorsements, etc. 

Skateboarding is a bit different.  The skater is basically marketing them self.  No one cares about contests, video parts and photos are king.  People on SLAP joke on skaters all the time for having kooky sponsors.  A lot of skaters I respect have never really had to go the corporate route and are very successful (Mike C, Rickk, Ed, Reynolds). 

I also completely understand the other side.  If I was saving for the future, had a family to feed, etc. and Wal-Mart came knocking, I'd probably listen to what they had to say.  When you take that money you're telling the world that's what you're into.  I couldn't imagine Guy's Mouse part or Gonz in Video Days with them rocking a neon Monster shirt and a Target hat in every clip.     

schlitzforbreakfastpluslunch

• Rep: -2
« Reply #454 on: March 13, 2012, 08:11:44 AM »
It's great when my city doesn't provide a water fountain at the skate plaza and a mountain dew van drives by once a day and throws skids of old warm 'dew bottles beside the dumpster for everyone to drink. fuck water. mountain dew is a sick company why u hating?

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #455 on: March 13, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Expand Quote
listen man, if you are a pro skateboarder you are a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. sponsorships are where most of your income comes from.
[close]

But most "PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE"s are judged in a very quantifiable way.  If you can score a certain amount of points or run a certain time or help your team win no one is going to talk shit on your gear, music selection, corporate endorsements, etc. 

Skateboarding is a bit different.  The skater is basically marketing them self.  No one cares about contests, video parts and photos are king.  People on SLAP joke on skaters all the time for having kooky sponsors.  A lot of skaters I respect have never really had to go the corporate route and are very successful (Mike C, Rickk, Ed, Reynolds). 

I also completely understand the other side.  If I was saving for the future, had a family to feed, etc. and Wal-Mart came knocking, I'd probably listen to what they had to say.  When you take that money you're telling the world that's what you're into.  I couldn't imagine Guy's Mouse part or Gonz in Video Days with them rocking a neon Monster shirt and a Target hat in every clip.     

i see what you're saying, and there are ways to do good for yourself outside of sponsorships but if all you wanna do is skate all day (not manage a brand, etc) sponsorships are the way to go. look at P-Rod for example. dude has the corporate sponsor HOOK UP. mtn dew remodeled his private park, target gives him free gift cards to buy whatever he wants, AT&T gives em free cell phone service...i would not mind telling the world that thats what im into, and all he has to do is skate & goto a few business meetings. id say thats a good deal. again, once the shit becomes your actual job you gon have to look at things a bit differently. would yall rather work a 9-5 making decent money while tryna squeeze in time to skate or would you rather skate all day with a few extra logos on you to be a millionaire?  theres the middle ground where most pro's are at but personally if i had the opportunity id take the sponsorship. that is, if i agreed with the contract. i wouldnt just pick up ANY sponsorship that throws money my way but if it was a good deal for me & my situation overall id prolly take it.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #456 on: March 13, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: ARIZONA NEEDS TO GET IN THE SKATE GAME! I would be the happiest man to get a case of Arnold Palmer tall cans delivered to my door step.

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #457 on: March 13, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: ARIZONA NEEDS TO GET IN THE SKATE GAME! I would be the happiest man to get a case of Arnold Palmer tall cans delivered to my door step.

I've been saying this too.

AZ is my favorite!

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »

Fuckin true. Say hello to the man who will revolutionize marketing, everyone.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuckin true. Say hello to the man who will revolutionize marketing, everyone.
Made me think of this picture for some reason

victor333

« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »
Arizona sucks. I mean, it's ok if you're into just drinking sugar water, but there isn't a single tea leaf in the tea, and the rest is just corn syrup. Super overrated. People think they're getting a bargain by getting a tall can for a dollar. Jokes on you, bro, it's just water and sugar.

On the topic of sponsorships, I'll let most kooky sponsorships slide because:

a) I think being a pro skater is one of the hardest jobs in sports. Think of how many people are in the NBA, MLB, NFL etc. and now look how many pro skaters there are. Now look how many pro skaters make more than 100k. All the "real" athletes start out at a few hundred grand. minimum. I think skaters earn their pay and then some

b) It sucks to think that our favorite pros can be out of the industry and working shitty jobs just to keep the lights on. Wasn't Heath delivering pizza at one point? Most of these guys don't go to college, and a good number of them don't even finish high school. But they found something they love and they're talented at. If they want to leach some corporate asshole's money just by putting a patch on their hat, I say fuck it, and get that money.

foureyedjim

« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
Arizona sucks. I mean, it's ok if you're into just drinking sugar water, but there isn't a single tea leaf in the tea, and the rest is just corn syrup. Super overrated. People think they're getting a bargain by getting a tall can for a dollar. Jokes on you, bro, it's just water and sugar. 

I remember that drink being the shit back in high school.  It was the drink to get if you were on a tight budget.  But it never quenched your thirst at all haha.  All it does is make you even more thirsty because of all the sugar. 

BraveUlysses

foureyedjim

« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »

BraveUlysses

« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
Brisk lemonade iced tea is the truth too! Hell maybe even more than Arizona(what's this thread about again?)

foureyedjim

« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
Brisk lemonade iced tea is the truth too! Hell maybe even more than Arizona(what's this thread about again?)

I don't fuck with questionable tea anymore unless I'm craving some sugary stuff.  They leave a bad after taste and I'm a lot thirstier than before I drank the damn thing haha

Flipkick

• Rep: -16
« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
all I know is that the training day feature with P-Rod today was jizztacular

BraveUlysses

« Reply #467 on: March 13, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't fuck with questionable tea anymore unless I'm craving some sugary stuff.  They leave a bad after taste and I'm a lot thirstier than before I drank the damn thing haha
Brisk quenches my thirst and fills my stomach up. All I really drink is tea nowadays. I might try some of that Japanese shit you posted.

foureyedjim

« Reply #468 on: March 13, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Brisk quenches my thirst and fills my stomach up. All I really drink is tea nowadays. I might try some of that Japanese shit you posted.

yeah, if you know of any japanese markets, try japanese soft drinks and teas (which are unsweetened usually, so you might not like it at first).  Don't be surprised by the price though, shit is imported

BraveUlysses

« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Fuck that shit then, I don't wanna pay more than 3 dollars. I could've sworn I saw those teas or something similar at my local grocery store haha

victor333

« Reply #470 on: March 13, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

brisk is hardly tea  ::)

Feel free to complete blow me off and do you're own thing - really, just do what you want - but the fact you drink a lot of sugary soft drinks just means you have an addiction to sugar.

You should really try cutting back. Try brewing your own tea. Before I got my single-serve thing, I would just boil a couple cups of water. Nowadays, I drink about 2-3 cups of tea a day. The only things I drink besides tea are almond milk and water.

You can remove sooo much sugar from your diet, and you'll be thankful in the long run

foureyedjim

« Reply #471 on: March 13, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »
Fuck that shit then, I don't wanna pay more than 3 dollars. I could've sworn I saw those teas or something similar at my local grocery store haha

They have ito en stuff at chinese markets actually.

For 4 or 5 dollars you can get a big bottle of tea, I think it's a 2 liter bottle.

Regardless, they're pretty standard teas that you can brew yourself.  You can buy cheap boxes of green / oolong tea bags and brew them in a big pot.  I make the tea strong so when i pour it over ice it dilutes itself.  I leave it in a pitcher and when it's cold it's practically the same as buying it.  

Honestly though, if you like brisk and arizona, i don't know if you'll like regular unsweetened tea.  I offer my roommates tea and coffee all the time but they never want any because there's no sugar haha

BraveUlysses

« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:13 PM »
I've brewed tea on my stove cooled it down and put ice in it and I do enjoy non sugary tea. Me enjoying Brisk and Arizona doesn't mean I'm addicted to sugar and I probably don't even drink it as much as you think. I've had one Arizona and one Brisk this whole month. I don't think they classify as soft drinks either. Y'all on some tea elitism type shit haha.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:37:50 PM by BraveUlysses »

foureyedjim

« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
I've brewed tea on my stove cooled it down and put ice in it and I do enjoy non sugary tea. Me enjoying Brisk and Arizona doesn't mean I'm addicted to sugar and I probably don't even drink it as much as you think. I've had one Arizona and one Brisk this whole month. I don't think they classify as soft drinks either.

They don't really taste like tea to me, but I'm sure there's *some remnants of tea haha.  But yeah, I know.  I like to have energy drinks and shit once in a while, but in the long run, you just feel less shitty when you're drinking stuff without so much sugar and random chemicals.

Anyways, there's really nothing special about that japanese tea.  It's just convenient is all.  If I'm out skating if i had to choose to buy something from the store, I usually go for that, or just drink water from a fountain.

victor333

« Reply #474 on: March 13, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
I've brewed tea on my stove cooled it down and put ice in it and I do enjoy non sugary tea. Me enjoying Brisk and Arizona doesn't mean I'm addicted to sugar and I probably don't even drink it as much as you think. I've had one Arizona and one Brisk this whole month. I don't think they classify as soft drinks either. Y'all on some tea elitism type shit haha.

your words: "all I really drink is tea nowadays"

can you blame me for thinking you drink it frequently?

With that said, there is definitely room for elitism in tea. Especially when it's tea versus a water-corn syrup hybrid.

Not hating on you; just sayin'

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

your words: "all I really drink is tea nowadays"

can you blame me for thinking you drink it frequently?

With that said, there is definitely room for elitism in tea. Especially when it's tea versus a water-corn syrup hybrid.

Not hating on you; just sayin'

lol what a fucking prick

BraveUlysses

« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »
Just go ahead and do a rant on Taco Bell so we can get this over with. You already dissed my other three somewhat unhealthy cheap food and drink items(Ramen Noodles, Arizona and Brisk).

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #477 on: March 13, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
That's just his beliefs, you don't know what he's been through.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #478 on: March 13, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
That's just his beliefs, you don't know what he's been through.

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #479 on: March 13, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Hold on,

MOTHAFUCK BRISK!

That shit is full of preservatives and unnatural chemicals!  Plus it tastes inferior to the mighty

It cannot compare to AZ in any way.