Author Topic: Nike Lunarlon  (Read 6023 times)

DaSk8D00D

Nike Lunarlon
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
Anybody tried out the Kostons, P-Rod V's or the new Salazars with the Lunarlon tech? I'm sure they're at least fairly good insoles but I wanna hear the opinions on them from those who've actually used em. Do they live up to the hype? Just saw this lil clip today and it made me curious.

P. Rod V Nike Lunarlon

weartested

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
    • Weartested avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Nike Lunarlon
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
I tested the Kostons: www.weartested.com

I personaly like it, it flattens out a little with time, but provides good boardfeel and cushions enough to keep your feet from getting tired.
Don't expect miracles though.
Detailed skate shoe reviews: www.weartested.de
Follow weartested on Twitter: www.twitter.com/weartested

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »
I have never tried Lunarlon technology, but I frequent the Niketalk forums because I am also into basketball shoes and I have heard bad things about it.

The main flaw is that the foam compresses much quicker than the average compound.

I'm sure if you only wore them while skating and didn't walk around in them you could stretch the life of the insole, though.

Plus I would guess that a skate shoe would tear/lose traction before the cushioning dies.

I wish Nike sb would use full length zoom in a shoe. I know everyone needs 'boardfeel' but I could use a forefoot bag at least.

I got sensitive feet!

WORD

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »
I have never tried Lunarlon technology, but I frequent the Niketalk forums because I am also into basketball shoes and I have heard bad things about it.

The main flaw is that the foam compresses much quicker than the average compound.

I'm sure if you only wore them while skating and didn't walk around in them you could stretch the life of the insole, though.

Plus I would guess that a skate shoe would tear/lose traction before the cushioning dies.

I wish Nike sb would use full length zoom in a shoe. I know everyone needs 'boardfeel' but I could use a forefoot bag at least.

I got sensitive feet!

WORD

i feel you bro id been skating dunks with 2 insoles for a while skating big shit perfectly fine and when they finally blew out i copped some reynolds 3s...shake my motherfucking head my feet were getting hurt not landing tricks on FLATGROUND and when i got a small heel bruise on this little ass loading dock i said fuck it, never skating vulc shoes again & went back to the dunks. first time in my life ive skated shoes with a big ass hole revealing my toes but they STILL skate better than those reynolds. the nikes would just fucking eat any impact id take, and i mostly skate gaps so im doin this shit day to day without my feet hurting at all. shit only made me realize you have to damn near crazy to skate anything relatively high-impact in some flimsy ass vulcs. the boardfeel is not worth it IMO.

jersey by nature

• Rep: -40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »
I've had 4 Kristin's in a row. I swear by the lunarlon technology. Most comfortable skate shoe by far.
Don't do what the kids do.

MINDFIELD

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
I have had multiple nikes with it, its light weight and feels really comftorable, honestly though from whhat you have said i would stick with dunks, it does help but not a whole lot for big stuff. For me gravis insoles are the best for high impact, i skated in the dylan mids and the slip ons and my feet felt so padded i put them in all my shoes now.

Half Cab Pros with gravis insoles is the fuckin truth.

I imagine a whore's vagina would smell like a fresh bag of Doritos

Chocolaterain

• Rep: -7
  • awesome
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:17:33 AM »
Ive gotten the P-rods and I really liked them, they do have a small hole in the toe but they skate like they are brand new

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »
I think Lunarlon is cheaper to produce than Zoom technology, due to the fact it's just high density foam, I may be wrong but I think that's one of the main reasons that pushes Nike to replace zoom technology with lunarlon. I think you "FEEL"  more (I don't know how to say it) the Lunarlon than the current zoom insoles and I'm not sure if lunarlon is THAT lighter than zoom insoles.

b.v.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:16 AM »
I was under the impression that Koston pushed to use Lunarlon  in the sb line. Mostly for the weight, as it lightens any shoe up quite a bit.
The insoles used in the team editions are stiffer than the ones in the Kostons. I like them a lot but they don't absorb as much of impact as poron does.

Strike A Pose

• Get slapped!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
I think Lunarlon is cheaper to produce than Zoom technology, due to the fact it's just high density foam, I may be wrong but I think that's one of the main reasons that pushes Nike to replace zoom technology with lunarlon. I think you "FEEL"  more (I don't know how to say it) the Lunarlon than the current zoom insoles and I'm not sure if lunarlon is THAT lighter than zoom insoles.

I wouldn't say that they are pushing to 'replace' zoom air. They are just looking for an alternative for those who would prefer a different ride.

Besides, Lunarlon has too many faults, and until they improve the formula, zoom air will remain the superior cushioning system.

+Aside from Nike's running shoes, Lunarlon hasn't been universally implemented.

Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
I've been wearing nothing but Kostons and P-Rod Vs since they came out and they are both rad as hell and wicked comfy. The Koston has more board feel and the P-Rod is a little but bulkier, but both are indestructible and leave your feet feeling great after a long day skating, walking around, whatever.

Strike A Pose

• Get slapped!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
+I want a skate shoe with an air-max heel unit.

Imagine a skate hybrid of the LeBron's

If you can feel the court you could probably feel the board too!

+I never understood why Nike never experimented with air max insoles in their SB line.

You could still keep it low profile/vulc without a visible airbag, just throw in one of these jawns - (Orange insole)

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
^they needa just combine all 3 of them muthafuckas into one insole.

anybody had personal experience with poron insoles? they seem like the next step in insole technology but i wanna hear from someone who's actually used them. not just for low-impact skating either im talkin jumpin down double sets n shit lol

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »

+I never understood why Nike never experimented with air max insoles in their SB line.

too many heelflips = blown out shoe
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »

anybody had personal experience with poron insoles? they seem like the next step in insole technology but i wanna hear from someone who's actually used them. not just for low-impact skating either im talkin jumpin down double sets n shit lol

Dunk SB's have had Poron as the cushioning at the front of the insole for a long time, possibly since the beginning(unless they changed whatever foam it was before to Poron).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:11:52 PM by Global Moderator »

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dunk SB's have had Poron as the cushioning at the front of the insole for a long time, possibly since the beginning(unless they changed whatever foam it was before to Poron).

really even in the new ones? i have a pair right now and they have that lil black pad around the front of your foot on the insole, i wasnt aware that was actually poron. shiiit, the balls of my feet have never hurt so i guess it works then

b.v.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
My first experience with poron was with the artos by gravis. I was hooked on the shoe and not feeling sore in the knees after skating a few days in a row. But the shoes blew out too quick and at the time were always out of stock in my size. So I cut the poron out of a pair and stuffed it under my insole in some halfcabs. Been doing this for A year or so, and recently got a pair of kingfoam insoles. I like those a lot also but they are thick and have no arch support which I like but some don't. You also have to be careful which shoes you pick to use it with, as it is the same thickness from toe to heel, so if they fit tight it might not work. I am still adjusting t o them, and have been skating some lakai xlk manchesters and the combo seems good so far.

Strike A Pose

• Get slapped!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

too many heelflips = blown out shoe

It wouldn't be hard to slightly recess the airbag and have the outsole act a shield.  Many skate shoes with air bags do that already.

I be nollie heelflipping like a mugsy in my PJ LADDS and the rubber still hasn't worn to the bag, and it probably won't.

+I think there is a misconception that excessive cushioning isn't necessary for those who aren't going big.

TheDonutFather

• Rep: -3
    • DOUBLE DONUTS. avatar image
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »
I bought the Kostons when they first came out, and my feet were all around the place when I was riding around. Couldn't tell where I was at on my board whatsoever.

I took the Lunarlons out and put them in my SB blazers. Perfect.

I might mess with those new vans waffle cups soon though.

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »