Author Topic: American Ramp Company (ARC) Getting Sued  (Read 20307 times)

tkp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: American Ramp Company (ARC) Getting Sued
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
spohn ranch over arc anyday.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
To the dude who's cement park is cracking up- quikrete is easy to use and pretty cheap. Just be sure to roughen the smooth parts you blend the patch on, otherwise it can't grab and will chip off. Then water gets in and it falls apart. if you don't have basic experience with cement then yeah, approace the city in an intelligent manner. Don't say "it's dangerous," say that "small repairs now will prevent further erosion before it gets so bad it requires more expensive maintenance." Their primary interest is money, show them how it makes sense for their wallet to deal with it.

Fuckin ARC. Even the 1/4's that were "good" example look like they have an annoying little bump at the bottom. Fuck these guys and their shoddy parks, I'm glad spohn blew the whistle. They have their own interests too, but part of that is building good cement parks so let them profit.

I'll have fun on any shitty ramp you give me, but these parks have no character, they're usually back and forth, hit box in middle, and you can go on a road trip and skate the exact same 1/4 in 10 different states. That sounds pretty boring, never having to learn the lines of an unfamiliar place. It's like going on a street skating mission and just skating the exact same flatbar in 8 different parking lots. That defeats the purpose of street skating like these things defeat the purpose of park skating. Don't know if that makes sense, the beer is flowing like wine, sorry.

rudetude

• Rep: 1

trannies and mannies

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
I never understood the idea of curb height rails.

goatsucker

• Rep: -23
Re: American Ramp Company (ARC) Getting
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »

I hope they win their lawsuit, pre-fab parks are terrible.  But many of the pics didn't seem that bad,  I've seen SkateWave stuff in far worse shape.

dude i run a skatewave park.... shit is horrible and they wont come fix it despite their life time warranty

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »
lots of towns are unhappy with skatewave..... there needs to be a class-action suit brought against them as well.

and to all the "its better than nothing," and "i can have fun there" dudes-- the issue isn't how good or bad the parks are, the issue is that they invariably get damaged over use, and the companies refuse to honor their warranty. they'll claim "vandalism," "improper use," or any number of other bullshit excuses caused the damage to avoid paying up. plus, in a lot of places, the obstacles get stolen.... which is fun if you and your crew are the ones that swiped it, but it sucks for everyone else.

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a pre fab park is better than no park at all in most cases.
[close]
no, it's not. once the shitty prefab park is thrown up, it gives cops, security, and overzealous citizens the ability to say "just go to the skatepark" every time you try to skate somewhere. and when the skatepark is some overpriced piece of shit that's falling apart, that's a problem.
[close]
With cops you say to them "Gee officer, there's a park in town?! What does it look like? Wow! That sounds like fun! Can you tell us where it is? Thanks for all the help!" and flip the script on a potential bust. You don't have to go there. With a citizen you just make fun of the piece of shit they call a park and then offer them a good Samaritan award

Some pro skater said something about bad parks along the lines of "if you saw most of the obstacles integrated into an actual street spot you would be hyped." It's a good approach to a shitty park. Obviously everybody likes good parks more than bad parks, and prefab parks are certainly bad, but if there's nothing better, fuck it.

[close]

agree with this. do you think a cop or security would ever think "i would kick these kids out, but since there isnt a close skatepark ill let it slide". i think in most cases the thought wouldnt cross their mind
not exactly as you've described, but i've seen it happen. i grew up in a small town in the midwest. not a lot of spots, but a few. kids used to be able to skate spots like the middle school and stuff pretty much hassle free. (i realize that small midwestern farm towns aren't exactly a barometer for how the rest of the wold operates, but whatever.) once the town built a shitty plywood playground, everything became an instabust. now that plywood shitfest is rotted out, and the kids get kicked out of everywhere.... i got chased out of a parking lot while just crossing it last time i was back there visiting family.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
The prefab park near my house is actually pretty good.  It's all concrete and not that shitty plastic which makes a huge difference.  They also laid it out pretty good which is important to make it fun. 

Soul Doubt

• Rep: -10
  • DAYUUUM
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
My city is on that list. I find it quite funny considering how my city never had meetings to make a park, took and into their own hands, and now crying foul.  I would love a concrete park, but considering everything we most likely won't.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
American Ramp Company (ARC) Promo Video

i would be fucking hyped if a got some of these tricks, and doug really has a face i can trust
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
My parks not pre fab, but the ground/flat is asphalt(sp?) And the ramps are all concrete, and now there's a lot of big cracks where they meet. We want to get the park resurfaced but are worried the city will just shut it down if we complain about its state/how unsafe it is.

please do not go near any moisture.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
What do you mean?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Pike St

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
Hopefully real concrete parks get poured everywhere

eelbermston

• Rep: 8
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »
skate wave is astonishingly horrible. so horrible thats its amazing that any one company can be so bad at what they do. I have skated some ok ARC parks but im sure i would retract that statement if i knew how much they cost to build.

word on the street is that this place was only 150,000 grand to build, so theres pretty  much no excuse anymore.
willy grinds in willimantic

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
Yeah Skate Wave is sooooo bad.

How do we add them to the lawsuit?
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
pretty sure that would have to be a separate lawsuit.... the main obstacle you'd probably face would be getting the park and rec dudes in the cities that have dilapidated skatewave stuff to acknowledge there's even a problem.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 01:11:45 PM »
They built the Dew-tour bowl... the portable one that's nothing short of a work of art!

http://www.spohnranch.com/featured-parks/?park_id=1795

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
to all the guys claiming it's better than nothing, i used to skate the ARC ez7 park and had fun but these parks close to my house in austin are just way, way better

we don't have to settle for shit just because we are skaters. i pay the same amount of taxes as football fans that have billion dollar stadiums in every city.

skatepark adv

• Rep: -1
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
looks like ARC put a statement on their website.  Spohn Racnch are idiots.
http://americanrampcompany.com/news/

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
What do you mean?

well, you're ice nine, you know what will happen. god damn felix hoenniker.

Brick

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »

kicker to picnic table not pictured

skatepark adv

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/story/_/id/7586619/spohn-ranch-skatepark-construction-company-sues-rival-federal-court

"...the [Department of Justice] has decided [the] case has no merit and it is suspending its involvement in the matter"

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Nobody's cheering except you, Mr. ARC rep.

Stop Prefab

• Rep: 0
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
I've been posting under the ARC lawsuit topic on Skatedaily.net under the user namd Skatepark Adv now this clown who is obviously an employee of ARC stole my user name and is trolling on the Slap boards trying to defend this garbage.  ARC has had its employees all over the web trying to question the validity of this lawsuit.  But while they bring up who brought the suit and whether it will get thrown out of court they never address the facts that they peddle this over priced junk to cities, leave skaters holding the bag when it rusts and falls apart, play bait and switch with their poured in place division using Hardcore Skateparks to get in the door and then talk the municipalities out of concrete in favor of metal prefab or modular concrete.

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
i'll just leave this here....

http://skateparkwarranty.blogspot.com/

if you've got some bullshit in your town, post it up to that blog. stop allowing cities to give skateboarding dollars to payground companies.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
I've been posting under the ARC lawsuit topic on Skatedaily.net under the user namd Skatepark Adv now this clown who is obviously an employee of ARC stole my user name and is trolling on the Slap boards trying to defend this garbage.  ARC has had its employees all over the web trying to question the validity of this lawsuit.  But while they bring up who brought the suit and whether it will get thrown out of court they never address the facts that they peddle this over priced junk to cities, leave skaters holding the bag when it rusts and falls apart, play bait and switch with their poured in place division using Hardcore Skateparks to get in the door and then talk the municipalities out of concrete in favor of metal prefab or modular concrete.
Unless I'm misreading, are you saying someone stole a username here at Slap or are you talking about S&A?
If here, PM me the username and if I can verify that and I'll fix that for you. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, been a long day at work and I'm currently high as a kite listening to 80's pop music. Hollaar.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
looks like ARC put a statement on their website.? ? Spohn Racnch are idiots.
http://americanrampcompany.com/news/

Hahaha. Could you be more obvious? Next time try wearing one of these:

Who Skates

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/story/_/id/7586619/spohn-ranch-skatepark-construction-company-sues-rival-federal-court

"...the [Department of Justice] has decided [the] case has no merit and it is suspending its involvement in the matter"

First, the owner of ARC, Nathan Bemo, sent an email on 2-17 to a huge email list of actual skaters who he thought gave a shit- it read

"http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/story/_/id/7586619/spohn-ranch-skatepark-construction-company-sues-rival-federal-court

"If the government declines to intervene ? it means the [Department of Justice] has decided [the] case has no merit and it is suspending its involvement in the matter,"

Besides the blatant twist of the actual verbiage from the lawsuit, this is an exact duplicate of the post here... have I ever mentioned I hate fucking cowards? Post your name bro, everyone here would love to debate this shit with you.

ARC has sold their bastard stepchild HARDCORE to California Skateparks so now I assume we will be seeing a renewed effort on their part to populate the world with steel. Should be an interesting year.

Also worth a read- http://americanrampcompany.com/news/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:14:49 PM by Who Skates »

Who Skates

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »
So, apparently ARC thinks that all they need to do is continue to satisfy their customers just like they have been- Don't ostriches do something similar?

In our opinion, this lawsuit and the website designed to promote the lawsuit are nothing more than an attempt by Spohn Ranch to use the legal system, as opposed to its own product and services, to gain an advantage in the marketplace.

We at ARC are resolved to continue to manufacture quality products and continue to provide the same great service to which our loyal customers have grown accustomed.

Stop Prefab

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 07:04:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Unless I'm misreading, are you saying someone stole a username here at Slap or are you talking about S&A?
If here, PM me the username and if I can verify that and I'll fix that for you. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, been a long day at work and I'm currently high as a kite listening to 80's pop music. Hollaar.

I never had a Slap account named stop prefab it was just a user name I was going under on the Skatedaily.net comment section.  This guy didn't hack my account he just used the name I had been using on another site.  The difference is I was using that name on Skatedaily to actually hold ARC accountable for the terrible skateparks they build and their dishonest sales tactics while he is using it on Slap to defend these terrible parks to the detriment of skateboarders everywhere.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »
shitty parks are only the tip of the iceberg with these assholes

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 11:44 AM
To: Sleazy
Subject: RE: Offensive ARC Material

Sleazy,

Thank you for your concern.  I’m sorry the parks youskated were of poor quality.  We’re constantly looking for ways to improveour product, so if you have specific examples of what made the parksunskateable, we’d love to have your input.  Pictures always help as well.

I’m glad you care as much as you do for the skater communityin your area.  We do hope that you all get a quality Skatepark for theskaters.  Good luck with the project.

God bless,

MICAHFOREMAN

BusinessDevelopment Manager

p 877.726.7778

f 417.206.6888

World'sLargest Skatepark Provider

2010 VIDEO | 2010 CATALOG | TESTIMONIALS

Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 3:32 AM
To: Micah Foreman
Subject: RE: Offensive ARC Material

=> We believe thisdirectly affects the way we do business, as we attempt to treat our customershonestly and offer them the best product on the market at a competitive price.

Actually, I’ve skated your parks, they are horrible. I usedto skate ez 7 all the time and I truly feel sorry for kids who only have yourparks put in their neighborhoods. I now live close to the cedar park skate parkbuilt by new line and the difference is astounding. Ironically, it also has away more family friendly atmosphere. Maybe if you focused more on your corebusiness, actually learned to skate and learned about skate culture (includingthe part where most skaters don’t like the mixing of faith with skateboarding)then maybe you’d actually come a little closer to fulfilling your missionstatement. I’m guess competitive price is all you are really bringing to thetable but really, your product isn’t competitive so that’s actually an extremelymisleading statement. But I’d assume it’s unintentional due to your superiormorality that you referenced in your email.

=> “Be a professional andstop mixing your personal religious beliefs with business.” We’ll have to disagree with you on this one.  Faith in Jesus is somethingthat affects everything, not just a personal life.  His teachings wereholistic, and they affect the entire person, and the entire world, businessside included.  Can you imagine a business world completely void of anymoral principles that Jesus commanded his followers to emulate?

Are you always so righteous and pompous about your beliefs?Amazing that you can’t even see how unprofessional and rude this kind of thingis. Just because you think you’ve got life figured out doesn’t mean you have togo around acting like an a hole about it and calling everyone you meet out onhaving inferior morals. You should just be happy that by your belief systemeveryone that doesn’t believe the same as you will be tortured throughouteternity. Torturing people, including children for not believing in a hard tobelieve tales, yeah, that’s a great moral framework you got there… Definitelymaking us non-believers feel morally inferior with that one. But hey, why wait tillafter they die? Why not torture people for not believing like you before theydie? Oh right, the inquisition, that didn’t turn out too well did it…

I doubt there will be any problems with this but I will mostcertainly make sure that upcoming funds that will be available for skateparkdevelopment in my area don’t go to support such a misguided, unprofessionalcompany that creates such horrible products. Fortunately though, I live in anarea where quality is a concern, the skate population is organized and not outof touch and new line has set a standard for quality and professionalism thatyou can’t even come close to competing with. If you really care for youremployees, you might want to change your direction and put product quality andbusiness first and save your faith for the weekend, like all other workingprofessionals do.

Sleazy

Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:59 PM
To: Sleazy
Cc: Micah Foreman
Subject: Offensive ARC Material

Sleazy,

My name is Micah and I’m the Business Development Managerhere at ARC.  I want to begin by apologizing that you have found our“Jesus page” offensive.  But I do thank you for addressing theissue. 

If you don’t mind, I’d like to give you a littlecontext.  We are a Christian based company: our owners and many of us areChristians. We believe this directly affects the way we do business, as weattempt to treat our customers honestly and offer them the best product on themarket at a competitive price.  We also do not participate in thecompetitor bashing that is so prevalent in the Skate-Park Industry.  This,however, does not mean that we discriminate on who we hire based on faith, orany other matter.  We have many employees here that don’t share ourfaith!  We also do not intend to impose our beliefs on anyone who viewsour site, or buys our products.  Being a grassroots company, we do have afreedom to express faith orientation because we answer to ourselves.  Iwould ask that you not discriminate against us based on our faith that we havefreedom to express in this county.  When it comes down to it, you areletting a religious issue affect your business decisions as well! 

If you want to approach the issue logically, if what we’resaying & believe is true, it would be more offensive to not share.  Ifit’s not true,  Then we are then to be pitied above all men… you shouldfeel sorry for how pathetic we are, and it shouldn’t bother you.  There’sno offense in an obvious lie.  The truth does usually has quite a bitethough. 

“Be a professional and stopmixing your personal religious beliefs with business.”  We’llhave to disagree with you on this one.  Faith in Jesus is something thataffects everything, not just a personal life.  His teachings wereholistic, and they affect the entire person, and the entire world, businessside included.  Can you imagine a business world completely void of anymoral principles that Jesus commanded his followers to emulate?

To end my response, I will say that we will not be able toretract our faith statement, and we will accept any consequences that come fromthat stance.  I hope I was able to address your concerns, but I dounderstand that we may have to agree to disagree on this point.  I wishyou well, and regardless of who ends up building your park, I hope yourcommunity needs are taken care of, and you end up with a great SkatePark! 

Let me know if there’s anything else you would likeaddressed.  Take care!

MICAH FOREMAN

Business Development Manager

601McKinley Avenue

Joplin, MO 64801

TollFree: 877.726.7778 x128

Fax: 417.206.6888

Your inititial email:

“I find your religous content and threats of damnation to beboth offensive and in appropriate. If you do not remove these comments I'llmake sure that my city council members are aware that I don't want any of mytax dollars going to support your company because of it's offensive nature. Bea professional and stop mixing your personal religious beliefs with business.Sleazy”